Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They fucking raped the graphics on this poor game. It looked so beautiful when it was pixelated, but now? It just looks like shitty cartoon art.
It's a completely faithful and tasteful upgrade, stop whining.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Just saw this on the steam forms

Qa5xkRE.png

Morkar Left

Hi Morkar,

We're getting ready to distribute keys for The Bard's Tale I-III Classic Trilogy Remastered (Digital)! In preparation, we need you to select either a GOG key, or a Steam key.

In order to choose your key, you will need to reopen your backer survey. The link to your survey is below in this email.

When you click the link below, you'll arrive at your completed survey, which you will need to re-open by clicking the Open Your Survey link. When you re-open your survey, you'll automatically be brought to the Extras page. As the trilogy product was part of a reward, you'll need to click on Rewards in the survey navigation bar, and locate it in your rewards.

Then, choose between the Steam or GOG version!

Click through the rest of the survey until you've completely finalized the survey again; you won't owe any additional money. (If you see "Congratulations!" then you're done!) You'll then receive a new confirmation email. THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL DOES NOT CONTAIN THE KEY. The key you receive will be sent in a separate email, labeled Digital Fulfillment - Classic Trilogy Key, and should arrive within 24 hours. Please remember to check your spam and filter folders in case the email gets misfiled.

Click here to access your survey

Remember, you must complete your survey again to be sent a key!

Thank you,
The The Bard's Tale Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my survey at 6 AM this morning (5.5 hours ago).

Glad to hear the game is good, this goes on the Codex curator for sure.

Morkar Left

Got the key from gog (pretty fast) and installed. It takes half a gig on the hd :roll:

Just some first impressions from running around. But it's a complete engine rewrite. The engine is actually 3d. I mean you have the full experience like in the original 2d just nicer graphics and you can even look around in 3d style if you wish (but no need for it). Everything is running smoothly, no delays or something like that.

Overall the menus and introduction are faithful homages to the original. Mouse and keyboard work flawless and the graphics are nice. The portraits ofc you could argue that they are too much comic style and I can agree that by porting these portraits to higher resolutions something is lost in translation. Anyway that's just a very minor thing in the end.

Can't tell much about the game mechanics so far and how they are different to the originals. But there will be a legacy mode coming (it's not ready yet) and the screen looks like this:

https://s22.postimg.cc/ed36rkjw1/legacy1.jpg

https://s22.postimg.cc/swabt0v1d/legacy2.jpg

So far very worth the 5$ for every episode. There is real effort put into this remastered version and it's not a quick cash grab.

EDIT: What I forgot: The minimap could be more stylish, it's just an overlay in the view window and the text window takes up a lot of space. And I couldn't find a manual so far (which is a bit disturbing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Divinity: Original Sin
Edit: btw for the purists (if there are any), you can play the game in 'classic' mode which has none of these conveniences if you wish.

It seems it's not yet implemented.

Apparently that's not coming until after the 3rd game is done. Seems like a relatively simple thing to implement which makes it's long delay a little odd.

I guess they want to sort out the bugs in normal version first. They actually mentioned something like this in a kickstarter update,

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I don't remember if it was like that in the past, but entering the adventurer's guild at night and you'll automatically exit it next morning, so that every closed houses (Garth's shop and Review Board) will be open.

Curratum

I only got this in my BT4 preorder but ewch.

This is from an era a little before the one I can enjoy and sympathize with.

Maybe if they hadn't been so literal with the remaster... I mean, you still can't even check your XP points without going to the review board...

Morkar Left

Edit: btw for the purists (if there are any), you can play the game in 'classic' mode which has none of these conveniences if you wish.

It seems it's not yet implemented.

Apparently that's not coming until after the 3rd game is done. Seems like a relatively simple thing to implement which makes it's long delay a little odd.

I guess they want to sort out the bugs in normal version first. They actually mentioned something like this in a kickstarter update,

Yeah, that's why I will probably waiting till everything is released. But maybe putting 1-3 hours into it to try things out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't remember if it was like that in the past, but entering the adventurer's guild at night and you'll automatically exit it next morning, so that every closed houses (Garth's shop and Review Board) will be open.

It was like that in the past.
With Wolves and Barbarians prowling the streets at night it was nice to go back to the AG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know which versions the remasters are based on?
I seem to recall that the Apple version was the odd one of BT1. Not only was it (AFAIK) bug free, but unlike the other version you could meet two monster groups on the streets of Skara Brae instead of just one, most likely making it harder than the other versions.

JBro

Arbiter
I've never played Bard's Tale, but it looks great to me. Even just having it so that your view actually animates when turning or moving instead of the screen instantly changing would help with navigation a bit. I wish someone would do a similar job with Wiz 6 and 7.

I watched this guy play it. https://www.twitch.tv/chuboh

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting, the gameview is bigger on more wider resolution:

1280x720

nlDw3gv.jpg

1280x600

xMyTO3k.jpg

1024x768

8P1c7hD.jpg

I think they can use the bigger view in the usual 16:9 resolutions?

Also this is made (or should I say "wrapped"?) with Unity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone know which versions the remasters are based on?
I seem to recall that the Apple version was the odd one of BT1. Not only was it (AFAIK) bug free, but unlike the other version you could meet two monster groups on the streets of Skara Brae instead of just one, most likely making it harder than the other versions.

My guess is they'd tell you "all of them". Regarding those specific encounters, I recommend you ask.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This is from an era a little before the one I can enjoy and sympathize with.

Same here. I was excited at first (never played the originals btw), but after some playing realized it's too oldschool for me. Can't get around enemies popping up out of nowhere, and them being represented as a single static picture. Too much abstraction for my taste. Same as old Wizardries and jBlobbers. It's only Bard's Tale 4 for me then I guess...

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
What's a decent party? I'm new to bards tale.

I just started with

Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Rogue
Conjure
Magician
Magician.

I've heard bards are ironically shit?

mondblut

Arcane
A faithful modern-looking rewrite of a 80s crawler, one that probably cost a six digit number to produce?

Hell froze over.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It's nice that you can resize the view window. It seems awfully small in the original version.

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep an open slot in your party for summons and whatnot.
What's a decent party? I'm new to bards tale.

I just started with

Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Rogue
Conjure
Magician
Magician.

I've heard bards are ironically shit?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I seem to have a GOG or Steam key because of backing the other Bard's Tale game. Anyone want it? If so, GOG or Steam?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom