Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I seem to have a GOG or Steam key because of backing the other Bard's Tale game. Anyone want it? If so, GOG or Steam?
I wouldn't mind a GOG key mate.

Gregz

Arcane
Stuck at the Crystal Golem in Kylearan's Tower. I have the Crystal Sword equipped, but it keeps regenerating.

Anyone else stuck here?

Edit: Turns out you need to strike with the sword in this version instead of killing it with spells etc. while equipped. I kept missing when I tried so assumed it wasn't possible. Hit it on the 28th try.

Last edited:

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep an open slot in your party for summons and whatnot.
What's a decent party? I'm new to bards tale.

I just started with

Paladin
Hunter
Bard
Rogue
Conjure
Magician
Magician.

I've heard bards are ironically shit?

Mine is almost the same:

Monk (apparently they rock later on)
Warrior
Rogue
Bard (think you need one, and plays catchy tunes on his electric guitar)
Conjuror
Magician
(open slot for summons and wandering monsters)

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
I never made it past 5 mins on the original but I think the remaster has been dumbed down enough for my sapien brain to handle.

I just went with a full party am I missing out because I can't do summons? I suppose I could just swap someone out.

Warrior
Paladin
Monk (I guess they gain AC as they level?)
Rogue (Seems shitty, but they can save SP by dealing with traps and evidently the crit-after-hiding ability from BT3 is in this vers.)
Bard
Conj
Mag

Really shows that they were not expecting people totally new to the series since there is no manual or any in-game info on what the classes or attributes do. Did Cleve do some moonlighting as a consultant?

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I got this remaster cause recently I wanted to take a look at the originals (which I believe are included in the 2004 (?) Bard's Tale game).
I'm pretty satisfied so far. Never really went back further than MM3 when it came to blobbers. I really like how smoothly this BT plays even compared to modern stuff like Elminage.

The only thing I'm wondering:
You enter the first dungeon by going to an Inn and ordering from the menu. Are all dungeons entered in such an obscure manner? I got no problem with puzzles, but that just seemed weird.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I never made it past 5 mins on the original but I think the remaster has been dumbed down enough for my sapien brain to handle.

I just went with a full party am I missing out because I can't do summons? I suppose I could just swap someone out.

Warrior
Paladin
Rogue (Seems shitty, but they can save SP by dealing with traps and evidently the crit-after-hiding ability from BT3 is in this vers.)
Bard
Conj
Mag

Really shows that they were not expecting people totally new to the series since there is no manual or any in-game info on what the classes or attributes do. Did Cleve do some moonlighting as a consultant?

I really hope they have the Rogue critical in, that is why I chose one. I started on BT 3 back in the day - so I didn't know they didn't have it in 1 & 2...
Apparently, Monks get very good AC and need no weapons later on.

Really like the descriptions and mapping features, mouse overs (showing weapon comparison, spell descriptions etc.). I guess with all that in they thought a manual will be superfluous.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Random encounter every ten seconds, it felt like.
And you still have to grind more to have a decent chance of surviving the last two levels.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if the balance of the games have changed?
The originals all had balancing problems, IMO.

BT 1 was hard in the beginning, the quite easy for most of the game, and then very hard in the last few dungeon levels.

BT 2 and 3 started quite hard, but then became all too easy if you fought all encounters.

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
I really hope they have the Rogue critical in, that is why I chose one. I started on BT 3 back in the day - so I didn't know they didn't have it in 1 & 2...
Apparently, Monks get very good AC and need no weapons later on.

Really like the descriptions and mapping features, mouse overs (showing weapon comparison, spell descriptions etc.). I guess with all that in they thought a manual will be superfluous.

I am going off what they said in the Steam forums so YMMV.

I didn't think to mouse over the attributes, I might try it. I mean it's not impossible to play, but I found myself looking up FAQs for the first game just to make sure Int doesn't help my Bard (It doesn't).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I really hope they have the Rogue critical in, that is why I chose one.

My rogue is successfully critically hitting even at level one, but it's entirely dependent upon whether or not her hide in shadows is successful first.

Even if she only does like 3HP damage on a crit, it instantly kills anything I've run up against so far.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some random tips for the uninitiated to get you started and past the frustrating early stages:

- Take time in chargen to get decent stats. Keep re-rolling until of course your character's primary stat is decent (16+) and hopefully combined with good HP (and SP, if applicable) stats as well. Most of my characters started with at least 20HP. Don't feel guilty about taking the time to do this because the randomness of Bard's Tale will take no pity on you whatsoever.

- Remember that there is a real-time element to this game. DO NOT just leave your characters sitting there on Main Street thinking nothing will happen. Sure, the combat is turn-based, but if you encounter a group of 8 barbarians before you remembered to save you're not going to be happy. I don't think time passes when you're in the Journal/Map screen but I could be mistaken.

- Front four characters are the only ones who can be engaged (and engage) in melee. You'd better get some leather armor and a buckler for your rogue p. quickly.

- No, you can't rest at an inn or tavern to re-gain your HP and SP. SP will slowly regenerate as you're walking around, but HP have to either be cured by you via spell, or you pay at a temple to heal everyone up. Gold will eventually come rolling in at a fast enough pace to make the cost of healing relatively trivial, so just keep grinding and checking out those empty houses to level up and get dat gold.

- SP can similarly be regained via gold at a certain location in town. It's slightly north of the Grand Plaza with all the temples.

- Don't be out at night when you're still low level! The encounters can get a lot harder. Head back to the Adventurer's Guild before it gets dark and enter. As soon as you exit again, it should be dawn.

- It seems a bit of a shame, but this version supports two quick save slots, so just use F5 as often as you'd like to. I've been doing that right before leveling at the Review Board just in case the RNG decides to assign my Paladin 1 measly extra HP after all that hard work.

- As soon as you can afford it, get some bows and arrows for your back-line fighters, if you have any. You'll notice that some encounters actually place your enemies at twenty feet or more away, so it's nice to be able to soften them up a bit before they advance on you. Edit: If you participate in the beta patch, the option has been added to equip bows alongside melee weapons.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone know if the UI elements can be re-sized at all? If so, how to?
There's this, I suppose:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-tale-1-released.103577/page-10#post-5749617

Cool tidbit about the pregenerated characters from the Steam page:
Steam review said:
Curious though....... El Cid is the warrior? Not the Bard? Markus is the Bard? Not the rogue (default party).
paul_inxile (developer) said:
The A-Team was different across different versions of the game. Believe me - as a C64 player, this threw me for a loop, too. I believe this default A-Team is based on the Commodore Amiga version.
Seems like a lot is based on the Amiga version?

Gord

Arcane
Is there really a good reason to equip Bows (at least early on) in your front line? Damage seems rather low and you can't keep melee weapons equiped alongside.

cocorulverde

Educated
Are the pregens, one of which has a Fire Horn, still available?
yep. it has 50 charges and if you sell it (with at least one charge left) and buy it back, you get a full recharge for 600 shekels

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Goddam it if this game doesn't make my BT4 pledge worth it on it's own. This is pure /incline and now I don't care if BT4 isn't my cup of tea, as long as I get to play this and the sequels. Recreated my old party from the 'Way of the Tiger' gamebooks. Doré Le Jeune the Paladin fights again!
:whiteknight:

Fargo just massively redeemed himself in my book, might even get WL3 now.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

Warrior
Paladin
Bard
Conj
Mag

I've just checked the original manual (always usefull when you want to know by advance what spells you want to unlock), which can be found here:
https://www.mocagh.org/ea/bt1aus-manual.pdf
The biggest difference is that now, the first four party members can perform frontal attack, when it was limited to the three first back in the days. Another difference I've noticed is that the Magician class can now cast a healing spell at lvl 1 via QuickFix spell, while originally they couldn't. And yes, Rogues can now perform instantkill provided they managed to Hide in Shadows on the previous turn, though I didn't try that with a ranged attack if positioned in the back row.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
What's considered to be a good time/level to change your mage's class?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom