Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

tindrli

Arcane
As a short list, our goals for the Trilogy remaster are:
  • Up-res the original art, but keep the art in theme with the originals (the original examples are from the Amiga version of Tales of the Unknown):
aeabf319a0169c76f20ed13021c1c009_original.png

6df93974a152efa80ea2c3ad0ec321c8_original.png

9ff8304ecfa6fbf519f8a7aecf2f61d8_original.png

ee23bbc48f61ecfff255b60567f3cdd0_original.png

These look terrible. Why is it that they feel the need to smoothen everything out? It's the exact same crap they pulled with Wasteland.

I agree completely. Amiga looks beautiful and whats more important, for me, it leaves a lot of room for imagination.. that is what is missing nowadays in games. you cant imagine nothing so after one hour or two its meh.. boring

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New details in latest BT4 Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2233940

Bard's Tale 1 Early Access on July 24th.

Q&A - The Bard's Tale Trilogy
And now, we're turning things over to our friends at Krome to answer your questions about their upcoming Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster!

Q: Will the games play like the originals?

A: In tackling this project, we extensively researched each game across different platforms. In doing so, we realized there were many subtle (and sometimes large) differences between them. The goal of the remasters has been to reconcile these differences into one uniform, evolving play experience over the three titles - one heroic narrative across three chapters, with some extra quality of life improvements. Toward the back half of the Trilogy’s development, though, we will be circling back to build out what we’re calling Legacy Mode - a system of optional settings that make the games play closer to how they original 1980’s versions did.

Q: What was your philosophy behind your approach to updating the graphics, particularly the character/monster art?

A: The artists have worked to keep as much of the original character as possible during the uprezzing process, and have made artistic choices where they felt were necessary. Each time we get a new batch of art in, we find ourselves smiling. We’re looking forward to you finally having an opportunity to experience this for yourself!

Q: When will we be able to play?

A: We're planning to release the trilogy with a fully-playable Bard's Tale 1 on July 24th via Steam Early Access!

Q: When will I have access to Bard's Tale II and III?

A: We know people are excited to check out the remasters, so we're aiming to release The Bard’s Tale II: The Destiny Knight in an early access version when it can be completed (with some bugs) and likewise with The Bard’s Tale III: Thief of Fate. We don’t have a current ETA on that, but The Destiny Knight will be sooner rather than later at this point. We will then continue to clean up the games for their final release.

Q: Can I get the remasters on GOG?

A: There will be a GOG version without DRM (with no GOG Galaxy), but will be done when the game is complete, after early access on Steam. Please keep in mind that if you want to get the game on GOG instead of Steam, you'll need to wait until the final release to claim your game key.

Q: Will I be able to press a button and have the game to revert the changes?

A: The Bard's Tale Trilogy remaster is a rebuild of the original games, including the visuals and code, so it's not as simple as us adding a graphics toggle key. Instead, we're devoting our efforts towards offering more improvements to the remastered elements. For example, 70% of the dungeons in The Bard’s Tale III use the same tileset, despite it being a dimension-hopping adventure, and that's something we're hoping to address more directly as part of the remastering efforts.

Q: Will it be a huge grind to level so we can finish the game?

A: We've discussed game balancing and pacing extensively during development, and came to the conclusion that most players would benefit from an experience that cuts down on some of the grinding time. However, we expect Legacy Mode will support those players who want to have that particular experience.

Q: Is Legacy Mode going to be just like the originals?

A: As discussed above, there are many differences across different versions of the game, some of them small and some of them larger. Legacy mode isn't going to be a 1:1 copy of any specific original version of the game, but it will include elements like 1-6 + S for Bard's Tale 1, etc. Legacy Mode won't be coming until later in the Early Access period, so we also hope to use that time to get your feedback on how to refine the trilogy going forward.

Q: Can I use saved games from the original versions in the remaster?

A: With all the differences and bugs from the original games, this was something we thought about but decided against in terms of production time and resources. Instead, we concentrated on making sure the party importing mechanism worked as intended for all of the games in the remaster. That leads us to our next question...

Q: Will I be able to transfer saves across all three games?

A: One of the biggest risks with playing the emulated versions was avoiding problems when trying to port your save file and party across all three games. One of our key goals with the remaster was to improve on the import process by treating the trilogy as one story played across three chapters - you create your party in the first game and then bring that party, changing it as you see fit, across all three games without any problems. That way, you have the full, epic journey as the original Bard's Tale teams intended, no fuss.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No Early Access: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2246121

Remasters Update
Hi All,

This week, we decided to not release the Bard’s Tale Trilogy remasters into Early Access and instead will continue pushing toward a fully complete build of the original Bard's Tale in mid-August. As we evaluated it, we felt like it was closer to a final build than we thought it would be at this point in development, and it wouldn’t be beneficial to put it into Early Access. Another plus is that we can include GOG then as well, a feature that we have been asked for during the last few weeks. The fully complete versions of The Bard’s Tale II and III will then be added in over the following months.

The wait will be a bit longer, but the end result - for all of our backers - will be worth it.

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page, coming next week:

Experience the events that led to The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep and The Mage’s Tale! The Bard's Tale Trilogy is a remastering of the classic 1980’s series, one of the godfathers of the RPG genre. Create an adventuring party in the first volume and play it across all three, creating a heroic story all your own!
  • The Bard’s Tale Trilogy launches with the first volume in the series. In the fall, The Bard’s Tale II: The Destiny Knight will be added. Finally, late in the year, The Bard’s Tale III: Thief of Fate. Each volume will be added into the collection free of charge!
  • Rescue a city trapped by a wizard, reforge the legendary Destiny Wand, and travel across time and space to confront a Mad God!
  • Enjoy a uniform playing experience across all three titles without the need for emulation or compatibility concerns.
  • For the first time, play as male or female across all three games! Also includes other quality of life changes such as automapping for all three games, spell access, and updated equipment/inventory management.
  • The final game content released will be the Legacy Mode, a suite of features which will allow veteran players to experience the games similar to how they first played them, and will be released free of charge for owners when complete.

The Bard's Tale Trilogy is a chance for old fans to be young once again and for a new generation of roleplaying and dungeon crawler fans to discover why these games matter so much all these years later. Pick up the game and start your epic adventure today!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
From latest BT4 Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2256701

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Sneak Peek
Finally, thank you for all the support we received regarding the change in date for The Bard's Tale Trilogy remasters. We're on target for a release next week on Tuesday, August 14th. A number of you asked if we could at least provide a small sneak peek. I promised that I would look into it, and am happy to share a few screens of what you can expect when we release the game later this month! Enjoy!

072e23ad749085527fee9f6efa4fde63_original.png

The Tale Begins
5c84262f5cc5e2c07c722aa4fbfd698a_original.jpg

The Adventurers Guild
b59e5d521b3ae49ba94f5ba05e4f13dc_original.jpg

The New & Improved Automap

Shadenuat

Arcane
They probably should have picked a bit sharper style with heavier shadows, to closer resemble original style, sorta like clean lucas arts animation style maybe.

Still is interesting, I'll probably try it out during my another blobber rush.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
$14.99.

Also GOG page: https://af.gog.com/game/the_bards_tale_trilogy?as=1649904300

inXile Entertainment Announces Aug. 14, 2018, Release Date for The Bard’s Tale Trilogy Remaster

inXile Entertainment, the studio led by Interplay founder and industry icon Brian Fargo, is proud to announce The Bard’s Tale Trilogy, a complete remaster of the legendary series that helped define the RPG genre. Featuring updated graphics and optional quality-of-life gameplay features, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy is the ideal way to experience the dungeon crawling challenge that made the original games beloved classics. The title will release on Aug. 14, 2018, for PC on both Steam and GOG.com with a retail price of $14.99.

Features of The Bard’s Tale Trilogy include:
  • Remasters of all three original The Bard’s Tale games. The first volume, Tales of the Unknown, is available at launch, with The Destiny Knight (fall 2018) and Thief of Fate (winter 2018) arriving later in the year.
  • A uniform playing experience across all three titles without the need for emulation or compatibility concerns.
  • Create a party in the first volume and play it across all three volumes to create a heroic narrative all your own.
  • For the first time, play as male or female across all three games. Also includes other quality-of-life changes such as automapping for all three games, spell access, and updated equipment/inventory management.
  • Updated art that holds true to the spirit of the originals, featuring never-before-used character art by series creator Michael Cranford!
  • An opportunity for new players to experience the events that led to The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep and The Mage’s Tale!
  • The final content to be released will be a Legacy Mode, a set of options which allows players to make the titles play similarly to the 1980s originals… with all the challenge that entails!
Partnering with Australia-based Krome Studios, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy is an ambitious undertaking for inXile, especially as no complete source code for the original games could be found. Not only that, each game worked and looked differently depending on its platform, and each title was different in many ways from the others. Often times, it was discovered that features in some versions of the games were present but had no actual functionality.

“If archaeology and game development had a baby, it would be this project,” said Lindsay Parmenter, Head of Development at Krome. “By studying the code across different versions of the game, we were able to piece together developer intent and recreate it. Of course, having access to some of the original team members helped, too!”

inXile CEO Brian Fargo added, “We were extremely limited in what we could do in the 1980s. This is an opportunity to truly realize the vision that the original dev teams had, and in some cases fix a few bugs that are over thirty years old. Even with all the challenges this project presented, we’re thrilled with how this has turned out, and we can’t wait for our fans to start playing this.”

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So no more Critical Hit overflow, or the BT3 monsters lacking their special attacks?

Same combat system in all three games, and thus monsters appearing at various distances in BT1?

Is it still a weird combo of real time and turn based?

Have these questions already been asked and answered, and I should shut up?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
15 bucks? Come on.
It's $5/game which is fair given the more-than-trivial remastering effort done.
It's fair to the people doing the remastering, that's true, but I have the games on my hard drive right now. It's not very tempting to shell out for a failed facelift.
Then don't buy it. Jesus, do I have to tell everything to you guys?
, for me, it leaves a lot of room for imagination..
God, not this BS again. This "it left so much for the imagination" is the most retarded excuse, stop doing it. Do you know what leaves a lot to your imagination? Books and written descriptions. Pixelart does not, as soon as you see what is on the screen, you will know how it looks. This remaster is fine, it is very similar in colors and shapes to the original.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then don't buy it. Jesus, do I have to tell everything to you guys?
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. If you didn't love to be obtuse so much you might have understood that I'm saying I'm sceptical that making it a $15 package is a good decision.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2262588

The Classics Return

d6db6b0a782ddfd013a48d245a0cea4c_original.jpg

Back in Time!
Hi all,

Paul here with a quick check-in regarding Tuesday's release of the remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy. Both the Krome and inXile dev teams are excited to finally get this into your hands. It's appropriate that The Bard's Tale and Back to the Future both came out in 1985, as we're taking a cue from Huey Lewis and going "Back in Time!"

fd25df11b9c27d70b0e38bbd47295044_original.png

Here's how the process will work.
  • Starting Tuesday, backers at the $20 reward tiers and above will receive an email from CrowdOx asking you to specify either a Steam or GOG key for the game. Remember to keep an eye on your spam/filter folders in case it ends up there.
  • Soon after you make that selection, you will receive another email - the latest edition of your Digital Fulfillment email, this one now containing your chosen code.
  • Once you receive the code, you can follow these instructions on how to redeem it for Steam and GOG.
A few things to remember:
  • The Bard's Tale Trilogy is currently PC only and contains the first volume. The latter two volumes, along with the Legacy Mode, arrive later in the year.
  • Please keep in mind that we have tens of thousands of backers to send keys and emails to. It will likely take a little while for the full list to be processed, so don't panic if your digital fulfillment email does not arrive right away. We appreciate your patience.
  • You must have completed your CrowdOx survey and confirmed your pledge in order to get your rewards. 93% of you have, but if you haven't done so yet, or aren't sure, we encourage you to first check your email to see if you have received your pledge confirmation email from CrowdOx. If you haven't, then you can follow these instructionson how to have CrowdOx send/resend your survey so that you can access it and confirm it.
  • Only backers at the $20 and above will be receiving a remastered trilogy key.
Finally, the original games are very challenging. We encourage you to band together to pass along advice and discoveries, whether on the Steam or GOG forums or our own official forums. I think that I can safely speak for many older players that while we fondly remember having to figure stuff out on our own, it certainly would have been nice to have the internet back then to help with some things!

From the developer side of things, we're really looking forward to seeing the kinds of best practices, suggestions, guides, and personal preferences you develop as you visit the games for the first time or if you're a returning playing "getting the band back together." Either way, have fun going back in time to 1985!

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom