Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The big 4X thread (also unofficial patches + mods, also questions about these)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If you can stomach LP's and a Canadian accent to start, this is not bad for understanding what kind of game it is. Info dump, spreadsheets, large scale, can automate things at will.

If you were looking for difference between Shadows and Universe, can't really help you there, just started Universe.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Anyone try out Distant Worlds: Universe yet?

i did but i got a shitload of crashes and on shadows i had none

They are keeping up the tradition it seems

well i do play on a sophisticated typewriter laptop HP630 with 4 GB ram with 2,93GB usable since its 32 bit fagdows 7, and i do get tons of "out of memory" crashes and one more particular error but cant remember its name now regardless of size of a universe that i choose(even on small with 400 stars and 4 AI) and i didnt had any of those while playing shadows. Maybe they'l patch the damn thing more

DakaSha

Arcane
The base game was literally unplayable. I wouldnt be surprised if they busted it the fuck up some more

uaciaut

Augur
Yo i've been pleasantly surprised by Endless Space (latest version with add-on), probably the best attempt of a MoO2 clone i've seen.

I'm also thinking of giving medieval/fantasy 4x a shot too, Age of wonders 3 and Endless Legend still cost too much for what they're worth given that they're newly released but i will give Civ 5 a chance once i get the second DLC for it. unless people have other recommendations?
edit: to clarify - i'd rather not dumb this much money in AoW3/EL when i can wait till summer sale and get the complete/goty/whatever they're gonna call it version for much cheaper with most of their issue fixed, i'd rather go for a more polished game now.

Last edited:

Branm

Learned
The base game was literally unplayable. I wouldnt be surprised if they busted it the fuck up some more
Last time I played Distant Worlds I didn't encounter a single issue....Also tried out multiple mods like um i think extended universe. No major issues at all....I thought it was a pretty good space based 4x tbh. Playing Dominions 4 now :)

Yes it does.

Off the top of my head some to add to the list -

Warlock 2 - The Exiled

Eador - Genesis

Eador Masters of the Broken World

sharonbn

Barely Literate
I've played Eador MotBW. IMO, it can be clasified as 4X:
1) random map generator (specifically, random shard generator)
2) has fog of war (so exploration is part of the mechanics)
3) you have only one "city" but you can build various buildings on conquered provinces (thus "expanding")
4) game mechanics include challenges of managing a growing empire, like corruption

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom