Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The biggest problem with Gothic 3 combat is disjointedness

Fired up Gothic 3 today with the community patch, and rage quit 20 minutes later. Yet again. Probably for the 10th time since it released in 2006. Although back then, it had to do more with loading times.

And by the way, what retard at PB thought that starting off the game literally in the middle of a battle would be a good idea? Especially since it features an all new control scheme for combat. Trying to figure out how combat works while 4-5 orcs are wailing away at you just makes me wonder what kind of drugs they were doing at the time?

But I did play around with the Gothic 3 combat scheme this time, for all of those 20 minutes, and came away very disappointed. What made Gothic 1/2 combat work (and also Risen 1 and ELEX) is that in all of those games, it flowed nicely and was relatively homogenous. There is a flow of parry/counter-attack, parry/counter-attack or succession of combos that goes nicely together and just lets the player focus on the timing (of either parry or the next move in the combo), which is elegant.

In Gothic 3, they introduced the Holy Grail of dumbass melee combat ideas, the infamous Power Strike. Not only is a power attack inherently retarded because something so slow and telegraphed would never be used in any form of real combat, but it ruins game systems. Because it goes through parries, it basically divides Gothic 3 combat into 2 parts, the parry against normal attacks, and the quick strike against power attacks. And this takes all the elegance and fun out of it, because video game animations (especially in a 2006 game) do not convey visible differences between different kinds of strikes as well as real life. So your poor brain is stuck trying to figure out in a very short period of time if the enemy is doing a regular or a power attack, and then it has to figure out what to do, since the quick attack is a short press, while to parry you need to hold the mouse button down for a bit. With practice, I am sure it can be done, but it's about as fun as pronouncing tongue twisters.

Throw in the 3 different types of attacks (regular, power, and quick), and the "special" moves like parry-attack or what not, and it just makes the whole combat system in this game feel really disjointed. You are given a lot of tools for different situations, but effectively using them together feels like getting a prostate exam.

This is not an argument against combat complexity, which I like, but the complexity is only fun if you have elegant means of handling it. For instance, Mount & Blade has a fairly complex parrying system (with 4 directions),but because it's just one move, couple with the direction button or mouse movement, the overall result is still elegant and manageable.

the_shadow

Arcane
Fighting against human enemies in Gothic 3 was OK, it was the beasts who could stun-lock you that caused issues.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Right so I had completely forgotten that Gothic 4 (four) exists and looked it up on youtube...

@_@

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
And by the way, what retard at PB thought that starting off the game literally in the middle of a battle would be a good idea?
I thought it was fine. The battle creates a sense of urgency, but you can't actually die for the first 3 levels. Besides, your companions are taking the brunt of the battle, giving you ample room to manoeuvrer around and experiment with the combat system.

I agree the combat system sucks. And that's a damn shame.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Only gothic game I ever played, thought it was bad but never got far into it. Combat was way too hectic and the game was too unstable. I also seem to remember dying to wolves all the time and not being able to do anything.

Tigranes

Arcane
And by the way, what retard at PB thought that starting off the game literally in the middle of a battle would be a good idea?
I thought it was fine. The battle creates a sense of urgency, but you can't actually die for the first 3 levels. Besides, your companions are taking the brunt of the battle, giving you ample room to manoeuvrer around and experiment with the combat system.

I agree the combat system sucks. And that's a damn shame.

That was the best fucking part of Gothic 3. I would run around like a maniac trying to get as many kills as possible for sweet, sweet XP.

Including the first time I ran it at release, when my PC could only handle 9fps and the game would hang for a second every minute or so (i think it was related to the DRM?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom