Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Black Glove (Former Irrational devs project)

Cazzeris

Launched Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove

BpKEz7YIgAIrv3u.jpg

Irrational may have drastically cut its staff to focus on narrative-driven games, but some of those that were laid off have their own ideas for a narrative experience. Enter Day For Night Games, a new studio founded by ex-Irrational developers, many of whom worked on BioShock Infinite. Their first game is called The Black Glove, and the team plans to launch a Kickstarter to fund its development sometime in July.

In The Black Glove, players use time travel to influence and affect the lives of a filmmaker, an artist and a musical act. The game takes place inside of a special theatre called The Equinox, which according to Day For Night, could exist in the past, present or future. Or it might not exist at all. So if nothing else, it sounds like the BioShock series' legacy of creating mind-explosions is intact.

Much like what we were told to expect from Irrational's upcoming efforts, The Black Glove will be focused on story. In an interview with Polygon, studio member Joe Fielder said that the game will merge its fiction directly with gameplay, and is inspired by games like The Stanley Parable and Gone Home. "Even a wrong turn, even misinterpreting a hint or just experimenting could produce interesting results," he said.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/02/ex-irrational-devs-form-new-studio-reveal-the-black-glove/

New pretentious story-driven game with time travelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Irrational may have drastically cut its staff to focus on narrative-driven games, but some of those that were laid off have their own ideas for a narrative experience. Enter Day For Night Games, a new studio founded by ex-Irrational developers, many of whom worked on BioShock Infinite. Their first game is called The Black Glove, and the team plans to launch a Kickstarter to fund its development sometime in July.

In The Black Glove, players use time travel to influence and affect the lives of a filmmaker, an artist and a musical act. The game takes place inside of a special theatre called The Equinox, which according to Day For Night, could exist in the past, present or future. Or it might not exist at all. So if nothing else, it sounds like the BioShock series' legacy of creating mind-explosions is intact.

Much like what we were told to expect from Irrational's upcoming efforts, The Black Glove will be focused on story. In an interview with Polygon, studio member Joe Fielder said that the game will merge its fiction directly with gameplay, and is inspired by games like The Stanley Parable and Gone Home. "Even a wrong turn, even misinterpreting a hint or just experimenting could produce interesting results," he said.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/02/ex-irrational-devs-form-new-studio-reveal-the-black-glove/

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gone Home was actually a decent interactive experience. It just wasn't a video game. Game implies challenge, puzzles, or at least some semblance of changing the experience through effort. Gone Home had none of that. As a story experience though it featured some nice environmental storytelling. Shit like finding rejection letters and alcohol in the dad's office, secret notes from an affair in the mom's underwear drawer. I enjoyed that. It's just not a game.

Seeing that kind of thing expand into more interesting locations and stories than "80's house" would be something I'd be up for, to some degree. Not as a backer though, more as a Steam sale buyer.

Peter

Arcane
Gone Home was actually more of a 'game' than a lot of the stuff it gets lumped together with, like Dear Esther, Proteus or the Stanley Parable. You actually have to find objects and hints to continue throughout the house and shit. It's dumbed down as all hell, of course, but it is technically there. The reason Gone Home didn't do it for me, I think, is the really bland by-the-numbers young adult fiction story. Atmosphere was there, and as a proof of concept I suppose it sort of worked.

I'm not necessarily opposed to more experiences like that, but I think they'll always leave a sour taste in my mouth, because with just a bit more challenge or puzzles or whatever, these things could be decent adventure games.

It doesn't surprise me that this is what ex-Irrational people are doing. I guess this sort of shit is what Levine will be doing as well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Atmosphere was there, and as a proof of concept I suppose it sort of worked.

Pretty much. I would be interested in some more talented people doing more with it, which is what this seems to be. We shall see.

Well, I think everyone of us expected something like this from those people.

Yes, "those people" who like adventure games. The bastards!

Duraframe300

Arcane
Depends on how far they will go with the concept. I agree with Peter that Gone Home's problem was that it just didn't go far enough with the concept.

nil

Cipher
When you'll try to start the game, nothing will happen. And that's gonna be the game. One of the possible interpretations is gonna be that the Equinox (where the game takes place) actually doesn't exist. It will be praised for toying with gamer expectations, and breaking free from traditional narrative constraints.

Also, it will be implied that the main character is overweight, half-asian, half-black, homosexual, female to male to female transgender, she just lost her child, her partner cheated on her with her best friend, she was raped on her way to the hospital to get cancer treatment, she attempted suicide at least twice, her father abused her as a child and she is bullied on the internet for her views on social issues.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has an intriguing style that looks inspired by FantĂ´mas, and 1920s-30s supernatural detective stories...
"Gentlemen kindly remove your hats." will be the hypnotic trigger.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I thought he was the one behind the whole 'reformation' of Irrational after getting his golden parachute from 2K.

Peter

Arcane
Yeah, you have to admire the audacity of just completely shamelessly segregating the actual gameplay to small shitty minigames in a backroom somewhere, so as not to interrupt the Immersive, Innovative Storytelling. This is Irrational's design philosophy of the past few years laid bare.

I don't think I've ever seen a game try to be interesting and unique so badly and failing so miserably at it. Looks like a completely moronic disjointed mess of ideas that you'd expect to come from a 16 year-old pothead.

Comte

This looks like a bunch of outtakes from the bioshock games thrown together.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love the style, interesting concept, wonder whether there will be a game involved. Pledged $1 just so I can ask questions like "what the hell is this" on the KS page. Looking forward to the FAQ.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New trailer up on the KS page. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to direct link media from KS.) Still next to zero information about gameplay, just more shots of the same style (which looks cool, but ...).

I officially declare that these guys have no fucking clue how to generate more interest for their game. Shame.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Love the style, interesting concept, wonder whether there will be a game involved. Pledged $1 just so I can ask questions like "what the hell is this" on the KS page. Looking forward to the FAQ.

1$ is like ... tough love!? ;)

It should be obvious by now that this project is just a inept attempt to grab some money while cashing in on Bioshock's visuals. There is nothing else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom