Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

LizardWizard

Cipher
As I explained many times, I made it a real game first and then enjoyed that. I am not reviewing my work, I'm reviewing theirs. Theirs remains almost entirely copy pasted trivial grind after 5 hours, which I realized at 5 hours and gave it only a little more than that (one complete run).

Your mod was shit, just like the game you played for 1337 hours

Mozg

Arcane
I fired this up again after not playing it since earlyish in early access and I think they at least did clean up some of the biggest balance problems I knew about in early going, but I can't really get any enjoyment out of it. I got to the fifth week or so on a new file and just kinda ugh'd and uninstalled. The actual decisions you make are extremely simple and you then watch them play out over 50 hands of a much simpler version of blackjack. It also still doesn't feel like a roguelike whatsoever.

Cadmus

Arcane
guys shit how come I get my ass handed to me as soon as I venture into a lvl3 dungeon. I'm in week 40 or something and I yet have to win a lvl 3 dungeon. What's a good strategy to not always be out of money? I suspect that to even stand a chance I need lvl3 weapons as well as armors but I only got the armors and I'm kinda locked in an endless loop of lvling lvl1 guys and getting them eaten on lvl 3.

oscar

Arcane
I always pumped weapons as a priority on the logic that what is dead can't hurt you/stress the party.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since Grimoire is NEVER coming out, the amount of hours he would put into it would be staggering.....

valcik

Arcane
What's a good strategy to not always be out of money?
Go for short apprentice-tier run without torches, loot's depending on illumination level. Also, make sure you're using the right support item on every curio, that'd boost your income nicely. The same goes for medium and long dungeons for any tier - try to run through them with full light until you finish the quest, just do not open any curio. Let your party rest after finishing the quest, then turn the lights off and run back through the dungeon collecting treasures hidden in curios, before leaving the dungeon for good. Be warned though - higher tier dungeons are tedious as fuck, since your stressed characters gaining afflictions would abuse any time-wasting mechanics implemented in this game, such as barks for instance.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Oh yeah, I see you're censoring posts now. It's ok, because that's such a predictable, trite measure I can just ctrl+v and put anything and everything you remove back. :D

Says the guy who doesn't even know what I'm talking about. Or perhaps he does, and got farmed by the tutorial. I could easily see him being a super salty Unleash the Hounds! ragequitter.

And unlike me Codex, you cannot narrate your trolling and expect that I will still fall for it. This Grimoire whatever the fuck it is is so obviously rage bait that I will ignore it and let you keep raging about it instead.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
This Grimoire whatever the fuck it is is so obviously rage bait that I will ignore it and let you keep raging about it instead.

Whether or not the final product is released, it's a touchstone of RPG history that can't be ignored if you want to claim knowledge of it. If nothing else, how can anybody spend over 1000 hours with a fad Kickstarter project and fewer than ten hours with a sample of the most hubristic attempt at a Wizardry 7 clone that ever was? While retaining their testicles, I mean.

This thing has been notorious since the 90s, but only to those who have had an occasional finger to the pulse.

Cadmus

Arcane
goddamn I just got a full party wipe cuz everyone went insane and I couldnt even run from the battle
I suck so bad at this

Lujo

Augur
If anyone's still playing, I've done all the champion level bossess except the Hag and the Cannon. The hag is easy ehough, I just haven't got around to trying it yet, but does anyone have a well though out way of handling the Pounder? It wasn't difficult on lower difficulties, but I'm looking at the dodge on the Matchman and it looks ugly.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If anyone's still playing, I've done all the champion level bossess except the Hag and the Cannon. The hag is easy ehough, I just haven't got around to trying it yet, but does anyone have a well though out way of handling the Pounder? It wasn't difficult on lower difficulties, but I'm looking at the dodge on the Matchman and it looks ugly.

I had a Jester killing all the reinforcements while my Man-at-Arms slowly punched the cannon down.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Grimoire whatever

I, or anyone else here, could give you at least 10 links to prove you that Grimoire (although in a failed state) exists and has more gameplay in it's super-demo than many main stream RPG. I'll also add that knoweledge of the history behind it is very important for anyone interested in the production of CRPG.

But I won't do that, you'd just ignore everything. Just google "Grimoire Demo" no one here will know. Live and learn.

Celerity

Gamespot has a history of taking bribes, so says a supporter of the game. So that means it's really terrible. :D

And if this Grimoire thing were a real game and not one of your meme troll things it'd have a game thread, and not a troll thread in a hidden forum behind a paygate. If you are that hellbent on proving its real, you unlock that paygate, and then we'll talk. Otherwise, your empty, obvious trolling can just fuck right off.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
:hmmm:

50PqE4S.png

Celerity, with you around here, at least a dozen local fucktards will need to change their lot in life, you're just too much of a joke for them to keep up.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
My question before I try and play it, does the game just stop you progressing with "cheapness"?
By that I mean, as I have had conversations with a friend who is playing it, terrible "luck" getting crit, or afflictions being so common and regular that you never can progress with your squad and have to constantly send noob squads into low level dungeons.
I don't mind hard games, but games where shitty "luck" is baked in to stop you progressing just to lengthen the play time are worth avoiding imo. Even though I kickstarted this...

Celerity

If you just spam damage, no. That will counter RNG, but also bore you. If you try using "tactics", you'll fail because the devs fail at math. Then you'll be another RNG rager because every fight will take 3-6 rounds+ instead of 1-2, meaning RNG gets many more chances. That is literally where every RNG rage complaint stems from.

Lujo

Augur
Achiman: It's wery stretched and a lot of difficulty is artificial rather than coming from depth.

sser: ty for advice, but I took a diffent route.

The hag was very easy, went with a marking party, my stunbot abomination got put in the pot, everyone else just hit her 4-5 times after maring her, she fell over. I figured that would be easy, and the 4-5 champion level giants never got to do anything either. One did, but luckily didn't force the smackdown.

The cannon is one of the few remaining places in the game where AoE spam actually does something anymore. Went with Arbalest - Plague Doc - Highwayman - Leper, lots of supiles to help me along the way, still got banged up (funnily enough, again, I met 5 giants, all went down without swining the tree even once). I was pretty stressed out by the time I got to the boss somehow, but I still went in and kinda sorta got through the fight with liberal use of the AoE combined tactical targeted strikes and a lot of stun spam from the PD. And luck - 2 times I could've lost folks and dodged, and the cannon even fired once on me. It never summoned the fat bandit, either so I figure I actually got pretty lucky.

All bossess done, now just to wrap up the final place and be done with this game for good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't touched the game in a year since Early Access and I got to say, it got really, really nice. I'd recommend this for a nice atmospheric rogue-lite fix. Very cool narration and art.

The difficulty is perfect now. It used to be a bit too easy in EA, then later it was a bit too hard - now it's perfect.

However, if you already played the EA, it's basically just more of the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom