Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

pippin

Some posts ago people reccomended stunning enemies as a tactic, that might help when your foes have high resistances, but after the effect wears off they gain a brief resistance against stun. Bleeding and blighting is even easier. You can get like 12 points of damage for free.

Neki

Scholar
Yeah,I think I'm gonna buy when i get home.

I hope it keep me entertained for at least 1337 hours

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah then you become a modder for the rest 1000 hours until you eventually and predictably devolve to insanity
Have fun!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Some posts ago people reccomended stunning enemies as a tactic, that might help when your foes have high resistances, but after the effect wears off they gain a brief resistance against stun. Bleeding and blighting is even easier. You can get like 12 points of damage for free.

This is what Celerity means when he says people are bad at math.

Bleed and Blight damage aren't high enough to compete with direct attacks. 2 blight over 3 rounds = 6 damage. Assume blight stacks each round, that's 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 damage in 3 rounds. Not bad.

Except a normal attack from a fighter-type deals 5-12 (which is (5+12)/2 = 8.5 average damage per round). So in the same span you get 25.5 damage, or twice (!!!) as much as the blight. More if you crit, less if you miss.

If you can blight 2 enemies your damage goes up to being the same as a Damage-dealer. Whoop-dee do. Blighted enemies fight back while you're waiting for them to die while dead enemies don't.

Blight scales poorly too so at high levels it becomes worthless.

Compare a Hellion using her three-target attack. 8.5 damage x 50% damage mod = 4.25 per target or 13 damage total per round. Over three rounds that's 39 damage, the clear winner. That's at lower levels without upgrades, which you can easily stack to make her even more ridiculous.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
At least someone gets it, unlike the obvious shill puppet alt. Would you rather do 23-44 with crits for 66 or... 6? Tyler "Rocket Scientist" Sigman and his retard followers say 6, everyone else says 66. Also, not a Roguelike.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Dude, don't talk about stuff you don't understand.

First, if you compare hellion's mass attack to hellion's bleed, you should also include bleeding attack's damage in calculation as both of hellion's such attacks do full damage.

Second, if you take pure bleeding/blighting attacks, then we should talk about Plague Doctor, Jester & Abomination only. And all of their usable attacks bleed/blight two foes at once.

Third and especially stupid:

[
Except a normal attack from a fighter-type deals 5-12 (which is (5+12)/2 = 8.5 average damage per round). So in the same span you get 25.5 damage, or twice (!!!) as much as the blight. More if you crit, less if you miss.

Yeah, because a fighter gets three attacks and a bleeder/blighter only acts once in the same time period. And, ofc, bleeding and blight don't stack, how could they!

Fourth, bleed & blight ignore armor. Oh, if only some 50% armored foes existed in the game...

Fifth, the delayed damage from the DoTs can be easily abused to give your party extra recuperation time, so good DoT squads usually exit the dungeon in full sanity. And it's uber easy to prove:

Try going as smoothly with the 3-hellion spam, lol.

Mind you, in the days of yore, it was good because trinket bonus worked differently. But since it got nerfed, anyone who tries calling that attack OP doesn't know what he's talking about.

Celerity

With the damage change Hellion spam only does 2 hit kills instead of 1. But you have 4, so...

Neki

Scholar
Started playing,The game has its faults but nothing like celerity said.

Going with a party of degenerates is really fun.The Quirks+Afflicitons/Virtues adds a lot to the game.

2/1337 Hours played and still enjoying.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Another poor sucker who doesn't realize that in 1337 hours this game will be trivially easy and boring. You dumb sheep. :(

Celerity

Another group of retards that would actually need 1,337 hours so they can learn such a casual ass game. No wonder they sperg about Skyrim.

Neki

Scholar
Celerity,Why you don't make some sort of lets play.
Then you can point the game faults without writing walls of text that nobody read anyway.

Doing a pointless crusader against the game based on your obvious OCD is just lame dude.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

Dude, don't talk about stuff you don't understand.

First, if you compare hellion's mass attack to hellion's bleed, you should also include bleeding attack's damage in calculation as both of hellion's such attacks do full damage.

Second, if you take pure bleeding/blighting attacks, then we should talk about Plague Doctor, Jester & Abomination only. And all of their usable attacks bleed/blight two foes at once.

Third and especially stupid:

[

Yeah, because a fighter gets three attacks and a bleeder/blighter only acts once in the same time period. And, ofc, bleeding and blight don't stack, how could they!

I'll quote my own post (important part in bold):

"Bleed and Blight damage aren't high enough to compete with direct attacks. 2 blight over 3 rounds = 6 damage. Assume blight stacks each round, that's 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 damage in 3 rounds."

I am aware of DoT stacking and took that into account with my calculations. If you inflict a 2 damage DoT effect each round, the 1st round you get 2 damage, the second round you get 4, the third round you get 6. 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 damage. With a 3 turn duration, the damage caps at 6 per round.

With a 3 damage blight you get 9 per round after 3 rounds, with a 4 damage blight you get 12 damage per round after 3 rounds, etc. These are more effective, but hardly better than smacking enemies for 15, 20, 25, etc. damage per round.

We could go through every class skill and do DPS comparisons if you really want to be all autistic about it.

In any case, the point still stands. DoT damage is back-loaded and requires 2 rounds to 'cook' up to being as effective as a melee character. There are pros and cons to this, mostly cons:

-DoT doens't crit

-The game has anti-delay effects that will hit you with extra stress if you try to draw out combat

-Dot kills enemies later than direct-damage, so they have more rounds to inflict stress/afflictions/diseases/etc

-One dungeon has many blight-immune enemies, another dungeon has many bleed-immune enemies. No dungeons have direct-damage-immune enemies.

-High-prot enemies are rare and mostly front row tanks who aren't a high priority target. Hitting the back row is always high priority

-The fact that the Hellion has full-damage attacks which also do bleed only further proves Celerity's point that it's an OP class

-The Jester dual-target bleed only hits ranks 2 & 3, Plague doctor only hits ranks 3 & 4. Those attacks are effective, but they sacrifice versatility. Half the time your second target is just a corpse, or empty air.

-In the videos you show, I mostly see direct-damage attacks being used most effectively.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
(important part in bold):

"Bleed and Blight damage aren't high enough to compete with direct attacks. 2 blight over 3 rounds = 6 damage. Assume blight stacks each round, that's 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 damage in 3 rounds."

Yeah, mate, it's an important part as it shows you're talking about stuff that you don't really know - you assume. That verb is derived from the word ass, right? Because that's where your numbers are pulled from.

Plague Doctor's Noxious Blast does 4 damage at level 1. It also does 20% of her 5.5 basic damage. Which means that it is 4 + 1.1 + 8 + 1.1 + 12 + 1.1 = 27.3 damage in 3 rounds. She also has Plague Grenade that does 4 + 0.55 + 8 + 0.55 + 12 + 0.55 = 25.65 to two targets at once.

Jester's Slice Off does 3 damage per round at level 1. It also does 67% of Jester's 5.5 basic damage. So we have 3 + 3.3 + 6 + 3.3 + 9 + 3.3 = 27.7 damage. And he has harvest which does 2 + 2.75 + 4 + 2.75 + 6 + 2.75 = 20.25 to two targets at once.

In comparison, Hellion's 3x Wicked Hack will deal 9x3 = 27 damage. Such difference.

-DoT doens't crit

It does.

-The game has anti-delay effects that will hit you with extra stress if you try to draw out combat

That's why our DoT parties exit the dungeons without stress, right. In fact, DoT is easily exploited to regenerate.

-Dot kills enemies later than direct-damage, so they have more rounds to inflict stress/afflictions/diseases/etc

Only if you play like a dumbfuck. In reality, DoTs do overkill damage. So instead of spamming them constantly like a retard, you use just enough of them to kill and spend the rest of your turns on defensive actions. It's so efficient that, once again, DoT parties exit the dungeons with no stress accumulated.

-One dungeon has many blight-immune enemies, another dungeon has many bleed-immune enemies. No dungeons have direct-damage-immune enemies.

-High-prot enemies are rare and mostly front row tanks who aren't a high priority target. Hitting the back row is always high priority

Well, don't be stupid and don't take Plagues to Warrens and Jesters to Ruins. And maybe you should start playing red dungeons instead of the green ones.

-The fact that the Hellion has full-damage attacks which also do bleed only further proves Celerity's point that it's an OP class

Lol, damage-wise, Hellion is a mediocre character. And the only way she does damage now is through the DoTs, actually.

-The Jester dual-target bleed only hits ranks 2 & 3, Plague doctor only hits ranks 3 & 4. Those attacks are effective, but they sacrifice versatility. Half the time your second target is just a corpse, or empty air.

Not an issue in practice.

-In the videos you show, I mostly see direct-damage attacks being used most effectively.

Lol, can't argue with the facts so it's best to ignore them.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
(important part in bold):

Yeah, mate, it's an important part as it shows you're talking about stuff that you don't really know - you assume. That verb is derived from the word ass, right? Because that's where your numbers are pulled from.

Plague Doctor's Noxious Blast does 4 damage at level 1. It also does 20% of her 5.5 basic damage. Which means that it is 4 + 1.1 + 8 + 1.1 + 12 + 1.1 = 27.3 damage in 3 rounds. She also has Plague Grenade that does 4 + 0.55 + 8 + 0.55 + 12 + 0.55 = 25.65 to two targets at once.

Jester's Slice Off does 3 damage per round at level 1. It also does 67% of Jester's 5.5 basic damage. So we have 3 + 3.3 + 6 + 3.3 + 9 + 3.3 = 27.7 damage. And he has harvest which does 2 + 2.75 + 4 + 2.75 + 6 + 2.75 = 20.25 to two targets at once.

In comparison, Hellion's 3x Wicked Hack will deal 9x3 = 27 damage. Such difference.

I stand corrected. 27 is less than 25... oh wait no it's not. Lol, at least I got you to learn math.

Granted it's not a huge difference, all things being equal (all things are never equal). Direct damage is still more useful in a wider array of situations.

As for whether its better to bleed out slowly or finish off individual targets, I'll refer you to the concept of Force Concentration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_concentration

In any case, the bigger picture here is that figuring out the combat is not that hard. It's actually a rigidly structured game of limited challenge. That's fine, but they advertised 'ZOMG so hardcorez' game, not 'Baby's first RPG.' The game's main challenge isn't the combat. It's the way the game tries to prevent you from using the teams you want. Random heroes, level limited dungeons, benching people for random quirks/diseases/stress/etc. It's all designed to take away your good characters, so the main challenge is figuring out how to keep your party together.

And that's... just not fun. Boring, tedious, and mindless are better words for it.

Celerity

Still being retarded I see. Reminder that Pope Amole II is the casual faggot who ragequit Xulima on Casual because he could not deal with the dogs (read: died like a bitch from 25 damage). So I understand why he would like Derpest as this is the sort of casual trash that validates him. Baby's first RPG, indeed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bro, you're obsessed. I bought this game EA mostly based on the polish and was ultimately disappointed. Stopped playing, moved on. Would refund if I could but that's not happening. No sense on dwelling on a game that was mostly designed to maximize Twitch Streamer publicity hype.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You consider yourself a SJW thwarting bringer of truth. The delusions.

356.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom