Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Codex FOnline thread

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Finally tried it out, and man, this is some awesome stuff! Since Brozil wanted snipers, I rolled one up (and probably made all the mistakes in the book and then some). First thing that happened: critically missed on a radscorpion = crippled leg. :lol:

But yeah, scavenged like a rat, played around with laser pistols and finally got myself a snazzy sniper rifle! So where do I sign up for Machete Rape Squad duty?

Kalin we usually play at night, but shoutbox functions more or less as our chat, so just ask if anyone's online there when you feel like it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Finally tried it out, and man, this is some awesome stuff! Since Brozil wanted snipers, I rolled one up (and probably made all the mistakes in the book and then some). First thing that happened: critically missed on a radscorpion = crippled leg. :lol:

But yeah, scavenged like a rat, played around with laser pistols and finally got myself a snazzy sniper rifle! So where do I sign up for Machete Rape Squad duty?
Join me when I'm going on a hunt, bror.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Will check in later tonight! :salute:

And of course, minutes after posting I lost my precious sniper rifle trying to solo a bunch of raiders. They were bogged down with molerats, so I thought I could pick them off. Almost worked, except for that last dude who got me with his crappo pistol!

Luckily I had a plasma rifle with 10 energy cells in my tent, which was just enough to survive a caravan job and raise the cash for a replacement. Nearly died though, didn't expect real-time combat, and in the third fight when I was down to a scavenged Mauser, I had to run circles around the camp to avoid a herd of crazy brahmin, while the Caravan Master was spinning around like a turret in the middle of it all taking them down with his super-shotgun of ultimate doom.

Severian Silk

I was wondering how you got a sniper rifle so quick. Lately soloing is getting me just enough caps to pay for my assault rifle's ammo, and not much more.

Scooping poop helps, though.

Severian Silk

I encountered some type of bug. There is no fog of war on my world map. i can see the entire landscape. Also, last night I could only scroll the map upward. Scrolling downward didn't work. Weird.

You have noticed the player stores right? I think you should be able to get a sniper rifle for a couple hundred in one of those, especially south hub.

Severian Silk

Player owned shops work quite well, thank you!

Makes me wonder how much work players put into stocking the stalls. 1. You have to grind for the materials. 2. You have to manufacture the items. 3. Is there some sort of vendor management interface you have to master?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Guys, is there some kind of long-term plan for our Fonline effort? I mean, do we have a base of operations? A goal or some kind of shenanigans we do? Like shotting all Russian on sight? Fill me in!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
We got an underground bunker as base of operations and utilize it to share resources, crafting materials etc.

Mid-term goals:
- acquire motorized transportation
- gear up and level up our characters (for better / more skills and HP)
- do regular caravan runs on the most dangerous routes for nice cap and XP income

Long-term goal:
- give Dungeons another go. Our first attempts with the easiest dungeon were massacres pretty much :(

Super long-term goal, might or might not be attainable:
- become an established faction, introduce codexian rule to a town of our choosing

gwdiuq46.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane
We got an underground bunker as base of operations and utilize it to share resources, crafting materials etc.

Mid-term goals:
- acquire motorized transportation
- gear up and level up our characters (for better / more skills and HP)
- do regular caravan runs on the most dangerous routes for nice cap and XP income

Long-term goal:
- give Dungeons another go. Our first attempts with the easiest dungeon were massacres pretty much :(

Super long-term goal, might or might not be attainable:
- become an established faction, introduce codexian rule to a town of our choosing

gwdiuq46.jpg
Great, that is what I wanted to hear. Who should I bother to get access to the base?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I thought LundB was just joking about the Fritzl basement! :lol:

And yeah, seeing some "Machete Rape Squad are taking [city name]" messages would be pretty gold.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm just going to quit tonight. I felt I've done enough in this game.
Game's got a lot of issues to fix before I even want to go 'long term' in this.
Cause I can see the cracks and frustration piling up.

No.1 issue. Player kills. I wouldn't mind losing my gear if this game actually had a fair-encounter system.
But most of the combat ambush I've seen is a random guy comes in on a caravan run, spawns on top of you - and shit happens:
RT - A. We're totally unaware due to fog of war and got burst down in Real Time. 200-350 damage. You lose, learn to Toughness.
RT - B. We're aware, but can't do shit cause our AP is too low after expending them on rats. We try to focus fire asap, but die anyway cause his focus is totally on us, while we're busy cleaning molerats.

TB - A. We're unaware due to fog of war and got burst down before our turn comes up cause it's fair that he starts first while our Caravan Lead ignore this shit. Too bad assholes, learn to grind to 30 and roll P90 PK build with ST1, cause that's how people roleplay PVP in this server.
TB - B. We're aware, but we still lose anyway due to how the offensive builds work at DPS-bursting down even 300 HP in one turn. On the odd chance of a blind crit, we might win, but ever encounter a guy with heavy flamer that spawns 2 hex away with a mini-gunner buddy? That shit will kill you in a few crits.

If PK lost a battle, he probably lost Combat Armor and Gun + minimal ammo + some stims.
No sane PK would carry anything important. Drugs are taken before he starts hunting, Psycho, buff out mentats, cigarettes, nuka cola.
So the reward for killing PKers isn't even much. You expend AP, Ammo, lost time. They were just killing for the hell of it. They didn't really need your gear.
And what makes them not repeat this stunt? Think about it, nobody got rich from PK-ing. They got rich from farming stuff, breaking them up and manufacturing.

The only sane way to solve this fucked up situation where PK can just waltz in and 1-hex burst is to make them spawn at the edge of the map.
With the caravan lead giving a warning - 'Someone's coming.' That's all I ask.
But this isn't happening soon. So fuck that.

The devs of this MMO needs to stop thinking of everything else and focus on that nonsense before I can even consider 'long term' gameplay.
Wait, RK don't quit, what about the faction v faction politics and larping Machete Rapes.
Faction v Faction is laughable when you're playing in real time with 300-400ms latency.
You'd die to snipers from long range, and the off-chance you made it to medium range, say hello to Mini-guns.
Shredded, what's that noob, didn't take Psycho, 2x Toughness, 2x Anticritical and 10ED? GTFO.

If you actually want to do a Machete Rape Squad, it's easy. You really want to do it? OK.
1. Turn Based Mode
Everyone has shitty lag. Don't play real time if you want some sort of organized combat. It's better to switch to TB, and actually plan your move instead of clicking madly, and hoping you click on the right guy, instead of Combat Armor Guy no.41820.

2. Have builds and proper weapons.
I'm not asking super powered player. 150 weapon skill is enough. With proper perks. Numbers meant a lot in Turn based. Here are the roles I think we should have if you want to do machete rapes:

a. Long Range Sniper - Perception & AG
The guy with highest crit. The dude who takes Eye-shots. Remember, a blinded guy is a non-threat. Choice of weapon: Something long range, he should stand at a distance, near edge of the map but can see the center. If the snipers are lowbies, they can still contribute by shooting the guy's arms off to knock off his guns. Or legs to cripple the fucker.

b. Burster
The guy with burst-fires. His job is raw damage and spraying at groups. He can shoot from medium range and should be equipped with full auto guns like P90, LSW, Bozar. He probably needs 10-12 AP to unleash two bursts. Take fast shot if you want. Or, you can go with Rocket Launcher to knock people around. He should stand at mid range, just in front of the sniper and heavily armored. He might die, but he takes medium risk. The closer he is to the center, the more damage he'll do, but he's taking more risk. If you want full risk, we call the third build.

c. Spotter Tank 10ED
Psycho'ed, heavily armored. This guy stands near the center and shouts out to everyone if someone spawns. Initiate combat and chuck grenades or flamer or burst.
His survival rate is poor, despite having highest DR, but he should be drawing the most fire and since fucking slavs thinks everyone plays RT, they can't see the snipers or bursters and fires at the spotter instead, thinking he's alone and about to be taken down like a Crimean whore. Alternatively, you can go Mutant, and wear Metal MkII + Psycho + 200 First Aid + Buff Out. Eat damage, over and over. And not die unless they crit hard.

From the roles I've provided it should be clear what the Machete Rape Squad should do:
Run a caravan in turn based, find an encounter, clear it but don't end combat. Everyone take their positions and... wait.
We're ambushing. Let your turns time out. But do not let combat end. Yes, for once just spam space bar or chat about hentai. Have a general discussion. Caravan routes are always the same: NCR or VC etc, where do big fishes swim when they want food? The same routes that small fishes take.
But we're not small. We're piranhas.

Chain of events:
Spotter sees bad guy, shouts out number so the rest can decide whether to bail or fight.
Spotter may or may not die. It doesn't matter. PKer's do not come in large force.
Combat begins.
Snipers aim for arms. Disarm. If successful, spotter pick up the gun to troll. Or knockback with Bazooka etc.
Bursters burst.
The slavs won't even know what the fuck happened, being not used to turn based combat and facing people who are actually waiting for them.
All they know is there are two guys in the center but they're not firing and being fired upon from somewhere in the map.

You want to do this on weekend? I'm down. I don't mind killing innocents. I don't even want the loot.
Don't ask me to do anything else, I won't do it. This game is devoid of entertainment outside of combat. Fuck dungeons and RT combat.
Fuck random scavenging and grinding parts. I'm tired of being a victim.
We're larping rapists.

url.jpg

Machete wielding rapists.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

The developers said they're working on allowing TB combat in more instances.
I agree that incoming players/trolls should start near the edges of the map.
I agree that the caravan leader should prioritize incoming players/trolls.
I wish there was more to do in the game besides combat/crafting. More faction missions for one. More quests.
Not sure what else to add variety to the game without going all strategic and turning the game into JA2 (which would never get finished).
I'm not a member of a faction and I'm not even sure how it works exactly.

RK47

Patron
Post your builds and names so I can do a headcount this weekend.

Severian Silk

I just have the one:

Silk Gamma
5758685 (including Gain Perception and Gain Agility)
Level 26

Unfortunately I didn't realize that BRoF had stat requirements, so I missed my chance to take it.

KySUe6M.png

RK47

Patron
Kalin - Sniper
Damn, why'd you take LK+1?
That 1% Crit won't even matter compared to the stuff you could get in other department.
Sacrificing EN is fine in this long range setup - but that point in Gain LK shd've gone to Action Boy. With that + Nuka, you get 12 AP per turn.
Not taking Lifegiver will bite you in the ass.

Severian Silk - SG Burst
Sad to hear, you missed out on a lot of good perks. Your build is pretty botched.
Educated isn't a great deal imo but extra SP is nice - but not critical.
You're Small Guns Burst build - so yeah just stock up on best assault rifle + ammo.
Medium Range.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well, Gain Luck gives +2, not +1, and the crit difference is greater than 2% since there are multiplication magjificks at work for aimed shots. Helps a ton to have 10 LK, and the alternative was to make do with gimp strength, which as you said would be a real pain. At the end of the day, it would also require a wasted perk on Weapon Handling.

Didn't know Action Boy could raise AP above the maximum though, if it can give me 11 AP I might pick that as my final perk, that and NOOKA should boost me to 12 and allow two aimed sniper rifle shots per round. Lifegiver seemed pointless though, since 40 HPs won't save me anyway if a dedicated damage-dealer gets me in his crosshair. Whole point is to stay out of range and shoot them from afar, so better focus entirely on upping my own damage, I thought.

By the way, what kind of builds do the rest of you have?

RK47

Patron
I'm running Big Guns 2xToughness build with 2xLifegiver.
Probably gonna go in with a Minigun + Laser Pistol on the offhand standing at medium range.
Got 11 AP from 2 Action Boy perk + Nuka + Fast Shot + Bonus Rate of Fire = 2 Burst Per round.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And I'm just running a humie close combat guy with 8str 8end 1ch and 6 everything else.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ha. Knew you'd react like that. Also, Heavy-handed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom