Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

UGVdndA.png

This was the first Roguelike I ever managed to beat! Man these were fun 2-3 years. And anguishing. And.. goddamn! I did it! I did it! I DID IT!

AMG

Arbiter
Going to need to rescind me fanboyish glee about SIL. While I still love the base mechanics, the actual content in terms of monster and item distribution makes it feel pretty dull. Chances of finding a noteworthy item are nearly zilch, aside from random potions (aka worthless deathraps). So almost all time is spent wandering around corridors and hitting the same enemy 600 times because of the irritating morale + telepathic enemy AI that flees when it gets hurt, heals, and then hunts you the fuck down. Doesn't help that even the weakest things like worm masses are nigh indestructible unless you've sunk literally all your xp purely into offense and stumbled into a good weapon.

Yep, that was my exact impression of the game. At first I was like: "this so well thought out", but the more you play you realize the repetitiveness and dullness of monsters and items. Even wands suck ass in this game. I guess they were going more deterministic with the crafting instead of relying on randomess but I just don't like crafting in basically any game, it just ain't fun. Another irritation was that half of the monsters permanently drain your stats and restorative items aren't all that common. So you have to shoot a lot with the bow or sneak around or something, but to me it really slowed down the game and broke the pace. On top of constatly fleeing enemies it is just super tedious after a while. Still a good game, but not my favourite RL. I liked the special moves you can unlock and how nicely they made them fit into roguelike formula. Just wished they went with less annoying monsters than constantly multiplying invisible worms draining your stats (I know you shouldn't fight them, but it is just stupid).

getter77

Augur
Shadow of the Wyrm finally has a proper site and a solid little v0.4.2 update alongside it as well---fans of ADOM and such should definitely at least keep tabs from here on with this even if it is early days yet:

http://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/index.html

MIT code respository as well https://bitbucket.org/prolog/shadow-of-the-wyrm

- Added an option ("cursor_mode") to configure the visibility of the
cursor under the player when on the map (akeley).

- Made mention that Witchling magic is innate and other magics are
book-learnt (Calandor).

- Friendly creatures are now identified as such when using the "L"ook
command (barrabus).

- The game XML now allows defining on a race-by-race basis whether a
corpse will be left. Jellies, constructs, and divine creatures do not
leave corpses.

- Creatures can also be specified as to whether or not they leave a
corpse. This is checked after the race flag (the race flag overrides).
If this flag is not specified, it is assumed the creature leaves a
corpse. Skeletons, skeletal kings/dragons/etc now no longer leave
corpses.

- Made all rings initially unidentified.

- Murdering the ploughman in Isen Dun can now trigger a victory condition
for the blacksmith's quest (Jeremy Long).

- The player can now rest up (default is 100 turns) by using "5". Most of
the usual auto-movement checks apply: hunger, hostile creatures, etc
(Calandor). Resting will also halt when HP and AP are both full, if
there are turns remaining.

- Automovement now stops on Poison and Stone statuses.

- Kicking generates a message about passing through when kicking solid
tiles and features. Kicking creatures remains unchanged - an
incorporeal kick is considered an attack.

- New items: guildmaster's ring, knight's ring.

- Kicking a door has a chance to sprain the player's leg (deal damage,
potentially add slowness) when the kick is unsuccessful. When the
kick is successful, the door is destroyed.

- The default "apply a feature" code (that does nothing) now shows a
message for the player (AgingMinotaur).

- Included the material as part of a feature's description when looking
at it.

- Bug fixes:

- Skins that had been converted to armour were still available as
"skins" afterwards (barrabus).

- Found an instance in NPCDecisionStrategy where a CreaturePtr was
being used unchecked. It *should* always be valid, but you know...

- Various typos (barrabus, others).

- Dungeon creatures generated on update weren't getting their actions
initialized properly, and thus weren't acting at all.

- The map display code wasn't properly considering both map size and
display size in its output routines (Aleksanderus).

- Incorporeal creatures were able to drop items on rock/earth tiles.
Tiles with non-zero solidity (earth, rock at the moment) now have
null inventories, so dropping items on these makes the items
disappear (barrabus).

- Ensured that switching places properly checks for whether the creature
can switch into the tile - this was triggered by trading spaces with
friendly spooks while not incorporeal (barrabus).

- Trap messages were being displayed when the player was in LOS -
should only have been displayed when the player actually triggered
the trap (barrabus).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I' picked up TOME4 last week as I haven't touched it since it was an Angband variant 8+ years ago. Pretty fun and the interface is pretty good. I usually play ANSI RLs because I can imagine better than someone can draw a tile but the artwork is pretty good actually. So far I have played a Dwarf Berserker and Elf Archmage.

The Archmage is quite interesting to play due to extreme glass cannon and tactics needed to survive. I cleared out the group 1 dungeons and a touch and go boss battle only to perish to my own greed. Some loot was placed on a tile with some very nasty poison on it. Having cleared the vault/room of all baddies I stepped to pick up my loot without resting first in order to have healing ready. Three turns later I perished. Cool and irritating at the same time.

For someone playing an Archmage, Phase door at level 5 is a must ASAP as any situation where you will take hits you will surely die. Caution caution caution. You need to have premonition and to use your wizards eye, 2 shields autocast on monster sighting. You need to know what you are getting into before you get into it. If you can choose your approach you can lay waste to hordes of monsters without taking a scratch, but get lazy at any point and your very powerful Archmage may as well be a young child.

I don't like these out of level ambushes. Bullshit. Does anyone know if those are randomly placed as I died to one a couple of times and those are irritating as fuck.

What this game really makes me want to do is check out Angband vanilla version 4.0. *goes to do that*

Last edited:

Ziem

Arbiter
I don't like these out of level ambushes. Bullshit. Does anyone know if those are randomly placed as I died to one a couple of times and those are irritating as fuck.
they arent really out-of-nowhere-random, you can see the adventurers/patrols on the main map, so if they're hostile and you dont want to fight them just stay a few tiles away from them

also phase door 4 should be enough for an archmage - your effective phase door level is going to be 4*1.3 (mastery) = 5.2, which is enough to control teleports, and around midgame should have the same precision and range as the maxed out phase door (its capped)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Unless he's talking about the dungeon ambushes. Those are basically random, but you can refuse them if you don't mind missing the rewards forever.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
they arent really out-of-nowhere-random, you can see the adventurers/patrols on the main map, so if they're hostile and you don't want to fight them just stay a few tiles away from them

also phase door 4 should be enough for an archmage - your effective phase door level is going to be 4*1.3 (mastery) = 5.2, which is enough to control teleports, and around midgame should have the same precision and range as the maxed out phase door (its capped)

Those patrols always say hostile and they never attack despite my walking over them repeatedly so I figured they aren't really hostile `unsless you use magic`. I suppose it could have been one of them. I know above the viewport it said AMBUSH!!!! Oh and it was on the world map, on the beach if that means anything.

Backstabber

Educated
Those patrols always say hostile and they never attack despite my walking over them repeatedly so I figured they aren't really hostile `unsless you use magic`. I suppose it could have been one of them. I know above the viewport it said AMBUSH!!!! Oh and it was on the world map, on the beach if that means anything.

There are different types of patrols on the world map. Ziguranth Patrols are hostile only if you have magic talents or runes, Adventurer Parties and Orc Patrols are always hostile, and Allied Kingdom Patrols are hostile to non-disguised undead.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
... a disadvantage (for me) of tiles... in ANSI you always check out what popped onto screen. With the little party icon how quickly I assumed it was one just like the others.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Archmage is a favorite class of Dark God. ;)
It is a strong class but demind extreme attention.

I beated Nightmare with Paradox Mage - have it's own tricks about survival and tons of damage.

Renegen

Arcane
The Archmage class is just OP.

And speaking of hard roguelikes, anyone played Renowed Explorers? It came out last month and I heard about it from a codexer on the forum. Pretty fun mainstream roguelike, what makes it fun is how freaking hard it is.

After many attempts I finally finished it and it was with characters I never played as. I had Hatice (scout bowman) as my leader, she gives a bit extra gold and it sort of was my strategy, then I had Kiwi (scout survivalist) as my 2nd and Dolares (soldier melee) as my third. The party just flowed brilliantly, all 3 of them were reliable and good damage dealers in 2 of the 3 primary categories. My location order was Caribbean - Desert(ton of gold) - Transylvania(ton of gold) - Shangri-La. I bought expensive defensive gear so that Kiwi actually had a default 50% dodge rate, got a bit lucky disabling all 3 keys in the final location, dodged a lot of attacks in the final battle and beat it easily. Fun game for a month or so, strongly recommended.

ISy6mIpno5-r.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

getter77

Augur
Renowned Explorers is great stuff and will only be getting better with a free content DLC(whole new area alongside whatever other misc stuff) coming out next week and updates of various sorts about every 2 weeks thereafter for the rest of 2015 at the least.

Other great news: The Ground Gives Way Update #7 is finally out, even if some stuff had to get cut until Update 8: http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/
Finally! Release #7 is now out, nearly 7 months after the previous one. It has the most changes in TGGW in a new release so far. I really hope it will feel like a fun and fresh experience. You can download it here. I’m excited to hear what you think about this release!

Quick “what’s new” guide for those who played the earlier releases:
There are quite a lot of new mechanics to be aware of when starting Release #7. So here is a short list of important mechanics in case it is confusing in the beginning:

• You now start the game with the condition “dual wield” (with your fists). This gives you two attacks per turn. The dual wield status disappears as soon as you equip a melee weapon.
  • You now start the game dealing non-lethal damage (again, with your fists). Non-lethal damage won’t kill monsters, just make them unconscious. Unconscious monsters will wake up again when you rest. To kill monsters permanently you have to wield a weapon that deals normal damage.
  • Your fists will now appear as equipment, so you can see their effects. Wearing gloves may alter the attributes of your fists.
  • You start the game with 7MP instead of 5. Having at least one hand unequipped gives +2MP. This +2 shows up as an equipment bonus on the character sheet.
  • The background is now updating continuously when you are inactive. The game is still turn-based though. Fleeing and sleeping monsters will blink.
  • There is now a chance that traps won’t trigger (and instead you will be able to pick them up). If you press ‘z’ you can see your percentage to “avoid traps”. This percentage is based on your ‘noise’ and ‘light’ attributes. Lower ‘noise’ and higher ‘light’ increases your chance to avoid traps. Known (detected) traps will blink.
  • Some melee weapons now have “reach“. This means you can make a melee attack at a short distance with them. Target your monster and press ‘0’ to make a reach attack. The UI will give you a hint.

jcd748

Literate
So uh, how do I look at my skills? Or use them? I made a blacksmith giant, but I've no idea how to actually smith anything.

These are early days so the game's very much an alpha. Right now, you can use '@' to do a character dump and look at your skills in the file. It'll be in the main game directory. The next version (which I'll release in a week or two) will have the dump information available as an in-game screen.

To actually smith something, you need to stand on or next to a forge (there's one in Isen Dun, the village on the island you start on). You need to wield a hammer of some sort, and you'll need an ingot (which you should have). Then, 'a'pply the feature, select the improvable item from your inventory, and you'll then attempt to improve it with smithing.

Let me know if you have any other questions - the game is lacking all kinds of polish, balance, etc., but it's an alpha, and will be for a while. Thanks for your patience!

getter77

Augur
Yeah...that sure was something. He'll never make a mistake like this for the rest of his days after this Special Experience.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Yeah...that sure was something. He'll never make a mistake like this for the rest of his days after this Special Experience.

I think that post was result of being overwhelmed at seeing your work go down the drain. I hope that after he comes to his senses he'll come back to the game but with a github repository this time :)

jcd748

Literate
Sounds like he was not a (professional) programmer. I also shiver to hear that the main file was 55000 lines of code.

Agreed on both. Github or Bitbucket! They're free! And if you ignore them and keep your source closed, this sort of thing can happen.

I hear about these mega-file roguelike projects far more than I feel I should. E.g., Ultima Ratio Regum is one giant file! I just don't understand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.reddit.com/r/Thewastes/comments/3qd1cs/the_end_of_the_line/cwg6p4d

In order to prevent this from ever happening again, use git with bitbucket. You can keep your code private and backed up to a service. Git is surprisingly easy to learn (You can just use a gui client like sourcetree) There are tons of tutorials on how to get it up and running. I wish you luck.
I'm just going to be making backups on an external HD now :/

:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom