Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Zdzisiu

Arcane
TOME

You seem pretty skilled in DCSS, i have a question: how many turns does it take to take off armor while i am under attack? Just stupidly died while putting on crystaline plate armor:x

That DrashRL actually looks interesting. :salute:

Glad you are interested. Slashie, a guy who made it, really deserves more public attention. He also made nice roguelike for mobile devices - Ananias.
Any armour or shield will take 5 turns to take off and 5 to put on.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Got scroll of aquirement
5pNxaHP.jpg
Why cant i ask for armor, weapons? Only got consumables, jewelery, wands and etc on the list (DCSS):(

p.s. Me not into concentration, found out how and got nice cloak.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Got scroll of aquirement
5pNxaHP.jpg
Why cant i ask for armor, weapons? Only got consumables, jewelery, wands and etc on the list (DCSS):(

p.s. Me not into concentration, found out how and got nice cloak.
I've got one an hour ago on my Gargoyle Fighter of The Shining one, using Swords. I wished for a weapon. Ive got a preeetty nice +8 double sword of flame. But it lowered my Cold resistance. Well, Ive met some caster droping some ice cloud on my ass. Around 80hp in one hit. And the rest is history.

But admitedly, it was my own fault for running around with -cold resistance.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I've got one an hour ago on my Gargoyle Fighter of The Shining one, using Swords. I wished for a weapon. Ive got a preeetty nice +8 double sword of flame. But it lowered my Cold resistance. Well, Ive met some caster droping some ice cloud on my ass. Around 80hp in one hit. And the rest is history.

Tough luck, decisions decisions:incline: Say, what do you think of flying is it usefull?

I am running a gargoyle berserker using maces because of hydras, now in the bottom of the Lair, those :argh:
Ao6SMES.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Tough luck, decisions decisions:incline: Say, what do you think of flying is it usefull?

I am running a gargoyle berserker using maces because of hydras, now in the bottom of the Lair, those :argh:
Ao6SMES.jpg
Flying is great. It costs nothing for you, has only one minor downside that is that you will get significantly more damage from the Airstrike spell that some casters in the game can use, but not that many of them. And it gives you more mobility as you can fly over water, magma, and either attack mobs from unexpected direction or run away from them. It also helps in branches like shoals where there is that water everywhere. Basically, I have it always on from the moment I get it on level 14.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
My experience is that you'll want to train Axes if you want to do end game content. Early on you could put a few point in polearms for the extra reach.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Flying is great. It costs nothing for you, has only one minor downside that is that you will get significantly more damage from the Airstrike spell that some casters in the game can use, but not that many of them. And it gives you more mobility as you can fly over water, magma, and either attack mobs from unexpected direction or run away from them. It also helps in branches like shoals where there is that water everywhere. Basically, I have it always on from the moment I get it on level 14.

Will keep in mind that.

Just met Kirke...
LssmYQC.jpg
Say what is your branch routine if you would go for 3 rune ascension?

XmReihq.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Will keep in mind that.

Just met Kirke...
LssmYQC.jpg
Say what is your branch routine if you would go for 3 rune ascension?

XmReihq.jpg
My branch routine when I play Gargoyle Fighter is:
1. Dungeon until I find lair.
2. Lair full clear unless there is something really scary on the way, like some Unique monster or a group of mobs that I know would gangbang me.
3. Dungeon untill level 15
4. Orcish mines. Recently changed to be just two levels so expect Orcish endbranch vault on level two.
5. One of the Lair branches.
- I like spider lair as Gargoyle as you dont give a fuck about poison, there isnt many ranged mobs and you can clear it without too much of a trouble as high AC character.
- Snake Pit is also ok as you again have poison immunity. But there are many ranged assholes here so proceed with more caution. And the endbranch vault is more difficult, try to lure them in small groups or one by one.
- Shoals is ok if you are level 14+ as you have perma flight then so you dont care about the changing tides there. Some annoying ranged monsters here. The last level I like to leave for a bit later when I have more cold resistance.
- Swamp isnt too bad either when you have flight as you movement isnt as restricted as it would be without it. Monsters here aint bad either, but confusion resistance is helpful for those cloud spewning dragons. The boss on the last floor can be a pain in the ass, I recommend high AC.
- The Slime Pits - No no no, me no likey. If I attempt to do this branch is only at level 27, with all the appropriate resistances, a lot of healing and nothing better to do. The jellies here are tremendous assholes that can hit hard despite your high AC and shield, and the boss is a bitch too.
6. Next I do the Vaults till penultimate level. Not too bad but many different mobs can spawn here so the difficulty is a bit random.
7. Crypt if I have some half-decent Holy weapon. Can be done without it too. Be prepared for the fact that crypt is a very quiet place so monsters will come to you from further away when you will start making noise.
8. Now I either do Elven halls if I have decent Magic resistance, or do Depths till the entrance to Zot.
9. On 3 rune runs I dont enter any of the Hells or Pandemonium or Abyss (at least not of my own volition, fuck the Abyss!).
10. Then Zot to the bottom and Usain Bolt out of the Dungeon.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Jesus Fucking Christ, the Abyss is such a retarded concept. If you are send there early, its game over unless you get extremly lucky and find the exit very early. If you get send there in mid-high level, its a resource burn, and then if you are unlucky and still did not manage to find the random exit, you are dead.

The biggest problem with it is the randomness of the exit. There is nothing that would help you get to the exit. Like "Follow certain pattern of blocks" like in The Maze. You just run away from the mobs hoping to find the random exit. Maybe you will find it right away, maybe you wont find it after an hour (Like my last character, L20 Gargoyle Fighter of TSO). You can try fighting the mobs there, but they respawn endlessly so there really is no point.

Another stupid aspect of it is that there is no way of telling if that asshole Orc you are hitting has a weapon with the chaos brand that may send you to the Abyss. No indication on the tile of the mob that it has anything other than an enhanced weapon. I would like them to have maybe purple pulsating weapon, like enhanced weapons are blue on the tile, the Abyss weapons could be purple or some shit.

All in all, Im just salty about this retarded mechanic and the fact that they dumbed down a lot of stuff in DCSS in the recent versions, but nothing much been done to the Abyss of bullshit.

MWaser

Arbiter
Jesus Fucking Christ, the Abyss is such a retarded concept. If you are send there early, its game over unless you get extremly lucky and find the exit very early. If you get send there in mid-high level, its a resource burn, and then if you are unlucky and still did not manage to find the random exit, you are dead.

The biggest problem with it is the randomness of the exit. There is nothing that would help you get to the exit. Like "Follow certain pattern of blocks" like in The Maze. You just run away from the mobs hoping to find the random exit. Maybe you will find it right away, maybe you wont find it after an hour (Like my last character, L20 Gargoyle Fighter of TSO). You can try fighting the mobs there, but they respawn endlessly so there really is no point.

Another stupid aspect of it is that there is no way of telling if that asshole Orc you are hitting has a weapon with the chaos brand that may send you to the Abyss. No indication on the tile of the mob that it has anything other than an enhanced weapon. I would like them to have maybe purple pulsating weapon, like enhanced weapons are blue on the tile, the Abyss weapons could be purple or some shit.

All in all, Im just salty about this retarded mechanic and the fact that they dumbed down a lot of stuff in DCSS in the recent versions, but nothing much been done to the Abyss of bullshit.
Come now, dear. What would be the fun left in Crawl if you removed all the complete bullshit aspects?

At least the Abyss is way easier if you're a lich with sustain attributes with Glaciate and Fire Storm. Yes, that's how much I waited before going to the Abyss willingly. Fuck that place. But to be honest it's not completely impossible to find an exit, and the first floor isn't that deadly unless you're extra unlucky.

Now, Hell? Fuck THAT place and its mystical force multiple times.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

Yeh, that bugs me too in DCSS and in Adom. I like UI and how information is presented in Maj Eyal:
DeM0Ntp.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Mein Gott, I've finally managed to get a VSTm of Chei going thanks to a lucky potion of Experience early on, and the damage on Blade Hands is through the roof. I've just two-shotted Maud. Also, I run in plate armour and have like 8% failure rate on blade hands already. The stats bonuses from Chei are amazing.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.4 is out!

Release highlights:

• Big improvements to Doomed class:bounce:
  • Big improvements to Reaver class
  • New cool default UI skin
  • Many misc UI improvements, with special attention to streamer's needs
  • Less need to scum for a good insane/madness start
  • Many code updates to let addon & modules developers get wild
  • Tons of various improvements and fixes
http://te4.org/do-download/tome-1.4.0/launcher-windows

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.4 is out!

Release highlights:

• Big improvements to Doomed class:bounce:
  • Big improvements to Reaver class
  • New cool default UI skin
  • Many misc UI improvements, with special attention to streamer's needs
  • Less need to scum for a good insane/madness start
  • Many code updates to let addon & modules developers get wild
  • Tons of various improvements and fixes
http://te4.org/do-download/tome-1.4.0/launcher-windows
Stuck at work. Can't wait to go home and play it. Had been taking a break from Tome, but I want to see the new improved Doomed and Reaver classes

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Stuck at work. Can't wait to go home and play it. Had been taking a break from Tome, but I want to see the new improved Doomed and Reaver classes

Played it earlier: both got two new skill trees. Reaver got some aspects of the "worm which walks" - very cool. Doomed - did not test it thoroughly yet.

Snufkin

Augur
Doomed new tree is quite bad. However their feed no longer takes turn to cast, making this class more playable on higher dificulties. As of Reaver, their new tree is good. I still cant wait for new DLC, DG said there will be 4 new classes and 2 or 3 new races i think.

Renegen

Arcane
Every class upgrade means more opportunities to get raped by rares, eek. Actually I thought this was the big Orc Expansion and it wasn't, :(

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Doomed new tree is quite bad. However their feed no longer takes turn to cast, making this class more playable on higher dificulties. As of Reaver, their new tree is good. I still cant wait for new DLC, DG said there will be 4 new classes and 2 or 3 new races i think.
Yeah, I'm liking the new Reaver tree. Haven't tried Doomed yet

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Actually I thought this was the big Orc Expansion and it wasn't, :(

Actually DG in his one of the latest blog entries wrote that he is "putting the finishing touches to Embers of Rage". We hope that "nanoissues" will stay nano:lol:

Lucky

Arcane
4.1 and 4.2 released as well, with some fixes and tweaks.
  • Protected Doomed talents that use shadows from being activated with no shadows
  • Fixed Vim color bar when not using shaders
  • Fix Spellhunt Remnants so that they have stats if they generate below material level 2
  • Fix Ascii mode
  • Kill Bill is achievable again even on insane & madness
  • Fixed crash on startup error for some rare people
  • Fix taking a screenshot while loading a level
  • Egos are again displayed in the NPC's tooltips
  • Fixed Oozewalk being able to enter vaults
  • Telekinetic Leap can not enter vaults
  • Reverted towns items tiers limits to 1.3 ones
  • Vim talents correctly increase Equilibrium again
  • Fixed a bug that prevented to correctly unlearn talents when using objects with powers
  • Fix a few zones trying and failign to load some vaults
  • Fixed buying one item of a stack in stores
  • Quest popup can be dismissed with enter
  • Cursed Bolt informs players if it fails due to not having a shadow in sight range
  • Buff damage of Cursed Bolt
  • Tweaked particle effects for Shadow's Path
  • Clarify descriptions of Shadow's Path and Cursed Bolt
  • Fixed Shadow's Path on no-teleport maps
  • Improved Shadow's Path performances on more closed maps
  • Fixed interactions with Shadow Senses
  • Fixed error caused on zone change
  • Stop trying to rest for air
  • Fix Paradox bar color without shaders
  • Shadow Mages correctly give spellpower bonus to shadows
  • Movement infusions are tier 2

Fug

Educated
Anyone got a good mod list for TOME? I have my own set that I have been using for a while but I'd like to see what everyone else has.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what's the best roguelike to jump int for someone like me who's never played one? (graphics are not an issue)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom