Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Do empty injectors have any actual purpose? Nearly killed myself with one.

Currently swimming in basically infinite cash, just hoping to find a few more phials and have some relevant shopkeepers reset their inventories so I can get some awesome gear. Kind of wishing I hadn't continued this game without scumming for a good Stilt- most of the merchants are worthless garbage like winemakers. Also want to find some Baetyls now. Only found one so far in this run, and he wants some bullshit I'll probably never get. Also need to get some high level (VERY high level) bits to make myself a phase cannon. Def not ready to go looking for them directly yet though.

Damned Registrations

Edit: So I've discovered that apparently flaming/freezing hands don't just let you fire crappy energy beams, but add their effects to your punchs as well. Potential monk build incoming...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do empty injectors have any actual purpose? Nearly killed myself with one.
Don't think so, but they are good convertable cash with their weight 0. Bethesda Susa brought me almost 150 of them.

Also want to find some Baetyls now. Only found one so far in this run, and he wants some bullshit I'll probably never get. Also need to get some high level (VERY high level) bits to make myself a phase cannon. Def not ready to go looking for them directly yet though.
Upper levels of Bethesda Susa were rife with them. I play old free version, though.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yo. How can I put all the mini-windows in Sil into just one big window?

opinions on Brogue? my brother started playing it the other day and said it's fantastic and the interface is probably the best he's ever seen in a roguelike
You bro has the right idea.
Here's some other things I loved about it-
- Very pick up n' play. No fiddling about with chargen before starting the game.
- EXCELLENT level generation algorithm. Makes each level feel almost hand-crafted.
- Weapons each have unique fighting mechanics. (IE you can attack with whips from range, axes hit everything adjacent to you, rapiers allow you to thrust attack, etc)
- Enemies behave very differently from one another.
- The above make for some very interesting and enjoyable situations and encounters.

Get it pronto

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Found a bug in CoQ - if you pour water on the floor, it will double amount! At least it works on salt water, which turns in something different.

Damned Registrations

It's because you're diluting it with the salt on the ground, which is presumed to be pretty much everywhere.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It's because you're diluting it with the salt on the ground, which is presumed to be pretty much everywhere.
Yeah, "diluted salt". Didn't know that this world so grim - salt everywhere...
Just in case, I got waterskin with every liquid substance I have found - slime, blood, salt water. )

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, my 17 lvl DV 20 char was oneshoted by great saltback...
I lost weekly progress, because have no idea someone can strike like this.
What other mobs that can strike like that?
Don't want to play untill I know it.

Damned Registrations

Ogre apes for one, some uniques. Generally speaking being one shot in melee isn't a big problem, did you even look at the saltback? It's like a level 40 critter with 2000 hp.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ogre apes for one
These are not like that, I killed one group with boss and 3 Ogre Apes, maybe I was in melee rannge not long enough, but they don't look like they can hit 82 HP with one hit.

did you even look at the saltback? It's like a level 40 critter with 2000 hp.
When I look with "L", I can't see such details, otherwise I would avoid them obvioisly.
Command Look "L" for me just show name, description, HP, how dangerous it is, and current attitude.
How you can see lvl and exact HP?

Damned Registrations

Level is on the wiki, but I'm sure it's danger said 'impossible' to you. You can get an item that lets you see hp/armour/DV though.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, most of the time it was Impossible, true, but on 17 lvl it start to show "Tough" or something like that, less dangerous word was used.

I can say that Caves of Qud became my favourite, along with ToME4 and Elona.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Generally speaking if an enemy says 'tough' you're probably supposed to use consumables to fight it, unless you have some overwhelming specific advantage, like flight vs a melee enemy.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I intend to play True Kin only (don't need many-dicks fellow), so I just need to survive that long.
Second my char met some members of something like "Sightless Way", who has strange gun that teleported my char on 13 floor Underground lol.
Like run like rabbit from them.

Damned Registrations

You're lucky that's all he did, last time I ran into a group of them they mind gang raped me. AFAIK they can use clairvoyance to attack you from anywhere on the map too, if they have that mutation as well.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Second my char met some members of something like "Sightless Way", who has strange gun that teleported my char on 13 floor Underground lol.
It's mutation that produces wandering portal. You just was on its way.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Tried Infra Arcana. Got eaten by wolves. Then slaughtered by a horde of corpses on the first level. Kek. Good start.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Tried Infra Arcana. Got eaten by wolves. Then slaughtered by a horde of corpses on the first level. Kek. Good start.
In IA you don't have to go through the trivial mandatory early game of other Roguelikes. You start right at the hard part ;)

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
It feels like opening tombs and breaking doors is an exercise in suicide.

Arrow points where I broke a door and Cpt Something called the Legions of Hell and suddenly 2 bloated corpses danced in from behind and by some godly luck I had 2! invis potions, one of which I tried earlier and 1 I had left so gulped it and danced around the single exit and by some miracle made it to the stairs. I dont think this Ghoul is gonna live long...
SQvEOZ1.png

Also, I dont really like the grinding. It feels like you are obligated to spend as much time on a level as possible to gain more kills. So if you level up and the Insanity meter drops to zero as well as Health back to full, you should be optimally wander the fully explored level and kill random spawns.

vean

Scholar
k6EFrLR.png

Well, I haven't tried cata in a while but with a good tileset and the minimap (with blinking enemies no less) it's possibly better than ascii mode now

Damned Registrations

It has been for a while, the issue for me was always finding a tileset that both had good tiles and actually covered all the item, terrain and enemy types. Has it been updating still though? Last time I tried it there had been no updates for quite a while, nearly a year iirc.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Damned Registrations and Fowyr thanks pals, I'll remember that.
Can somebody tell me what telescopic monocle and glasses (don't remember in-game name, these that "correct eyesight" or something) do?
They have no visible bonuses, maybe they correct some bad mutations, like in Cataclysm?

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Its funny how being a munchkin can hold you back. I always went the +25 +25 dodge and foul in different order, avoiding the melee talent cause it should suck in comparison, what I didnt know is that it unlocks Ravenous, which sometimes heals on hit and is epic...

Deepest I got, got killed because on the 6th level there were 2 invisible monsters taht made me blind and terrified and I couldnt hit/kill em for the life of me, so I landed on 7 with almost 0 health and got chopped by corpses... sadface.

Its also interesting that it might be beneficial to just take a 5% perma insanity hit early to grind level early...

Rot
* Explored to the depth of dungeon level 7
* Was 25% insane
* Killed 479 monsters
* Gained 1453 experience points
* Gained a score of 1793

Traits gained:
Adept Melee Fighter, Expert Melee Fighter, Master Melee
Fighter, Ravenous, Foul

Unique monsters killed:
* Thing
* Major Clapham-Lee
* Dean Halsey

History of Rot
0: Started journey.
505: Identified a Potion of Vitality.
506: Identified a Potion of Invisibility.
765: Fell into an uncontrollable rage.
2595: Identified a Potion of Poison.
2619: Suddenly felt deeply confused for no reason.
2961: Gained a phobia of confined places.
3005: My phobia of confined places was cured.
3005: Identified a Manuscript of Summon Creature.
4035: Identified a Potion of Fortitude.
4640: Defeated Thing.
5041: Defeated Major Clapham-Lee.
5044: Defeated Dean Halsey.
5060: Defeated Major Clapham-Lee.
5063: Gained a phobia of darkness.
5068: Defeated Dean Halsey.
5323: My phobia of darkness was cured.
5708: Gained a phobia of confined places.
5854: Identified a Manuscript of Sacrifice Life.
5991: Sustained a severe wound.
6009: My phobia of confined places was cured.
6038: Sustained a severe wound.
6044: Sustained a severe wound.
6049: Sustained a severe wound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom