Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Ziem

Arbiter
It's ADOM

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Congrats on finishing. You're a better man than I. ADOM is a game I've tried to get into a dozen times, only to have my eyes glaze over. Then I black out and wake up playing Brogue, sometimes DCSS or nethack as comfort food. It's weird.

Everything about seems like it should be interesting, so I'm not sure why I can't get into it.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I just a weirdo?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
..yeah thats one of the reasons this game is shit

Yeh, i was literally afraid when entered Cat Lords level... Magic Mapping, Detect Monsters, close and lock every door.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I just a weirdo?

Adom has very steep learning curve, it is unfair till the finish, it is not for all players... but untill there are 8 micro issues left... :dealwithit:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Adom has very steep learning curve, it is unfair till the finish, it is not for all players... but untill there are 8 micro issues left... :dealwithit:

Possibly the difficulty is related, but I don't think so. It's not frustration I feel, more disinterest. Is it harder to go from no roguelike experience to nethack than plenty of roguelikes to ADOM?

Or are you saying it gets more interesting after a (relatively) boring early game? If that's the case maybe I just need to suck it up, and push through.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
It's not frustration I feel, more disinterest.

I dont know but early crownings motivate me to play farther (immunity, item granted intrinsic).

Or are you saying it gets more interesting after a (relatively) boring early game? If that's the case maybe I just need to suck it up, and push through.

Maybe. I learned that going early to Small Cave - UD - HMV "spices up" early game experience, because you could find large crystal shield there, adamantium stuff etc.

Also could you recommend me good full Brogue run - could be video, text, picture based LP

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I started with Nethack and then went to ADOM because more user friendly interface.

That was 17 years ago. Never beat ADOM.:negative:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Possibly the difficulty is related, but I don't think so. It's not frustration I feel, more disinterest. Is it harder to go from no roguelike experience to nethack than plenty of roguelikes to ADOM?

Nethack was my first roguelike after... well... rogue itself (which I barely played.) ADOM I stumbled upon years later after having beaten Nethack and basically beaten ToME 2.3 (which is more or less fancy Angband with an overworld) and tried some others. Years later still, and I've never gotten anywhere noteworthy in Adom, from a combination of lack of interest (the game slows to a fucking crawl after about level 12 or so in my experience, way too much tedious backtracking and grinding to be had if you want remotely decent odds of survival) and some of the most inane unpredictable cheap kills I've ever seen in a roguelike. Enemies with stats wildly out of place for their depth, enemies that look nearly identical to other, far more dangerous enemies, instakill shit on most major bosses like confusion (which you can't get immunity to) or just insanely deadly attacks, the fucking sacrifice bullshit, cats, berzerking enemies, stuns, traps... even reading the wiki constantly it's still a fucking deathtrap and I never lose a character past the pyramid without thinking "Well fuck, I couldn't have possibly foreseen this."

At least IVAN admits it's an unfair piece of shit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw, IVAN got updatet recently.

Also, I played ADOM 1-2 times. Unknow mechanics and foodclock - that's what stop me. Also, difficulties with controls.
My mind doesn't become more flexible over time, hard to learn new mechanics, but I believe roguelikes is what allows me to keep the mind flexibility.

Also - didi you played Duskers guys?
It is futuristic roguelike game with control from command line, and freaking horror\thriller elements.
Starship that falling apart, three drones and graveyard of derelict ships which you should loot for fuel and air to survive...

getter77

Augur
Anybody with a remote interest in ADOM might do well to slide on over to Steam and check out Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike---it isn't quite at all the same, but that's quite the point then:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/491510

Also, the Renowned Explorers: International Society Expansion DLC is totally worth it as it ups the challenge, variety, and depth of the crazy things you can wrangle----rare as hell to see an expansion that so thoroughly understood what the core experience was that they needed to dial to 11.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, difficulties with controls.
Controls in ADOM are pretty intuitive and its inventory is probably best inventory that I saw in any roguelike. It's packrat's dream.

Why hate of cats? Calm monster spell is ubiquitous, fish is abundant with survival skill, there are always teleport too.
Even if you killed cat - so what? You would not get good ring? Just avoid Cat Lord and go down.

Damned Registrations

The best is when the cat dies offscreen, or on the other side of a door that just exploded on you. Fucking troll lord more like it.

It's also not just a 'good' ring, it's the best ring in the game by a wide margin. It'd be like playing Nethack if the bag of holding in sokoban vanished if you ever destroyed a boulder... in the entire game.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
How do you manage player ghosts in DCSS? D2, BAM! high lvl ghost, i run away... Eustachio, Grinder meets me.

Damned Registrations

Like pretty much everything else in DCSS, stair abuse. The fact that floors have 3 stairs means basically any threat can be avoided by going back when you came (always leave a path to the stairs clear at all costs) and then simply re-entering from different stairs.

I generally find ghosts fairly manageable though, except if they're trolls. Dat fucking regen without hunger holding them back is pretty OP.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Or if you dont want to deal with them at all, just purge your morgue folder and they wont spawn.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Like pretty much everything else in DCSS, stair abuse. The fact that floors have 3 stairs means basically any threat can be avoided by going back when you came (always leave a path to the stairs clear at all costs) and then simply re-entering from different stairs.

I generally find ghosts fairly manageable though, except if they're trolls. Dat fucking regen without hunger holding them back is pretty OP.

Or if you dont want to deal with them at all, just purge your morgue folder and they wont spawn.

Found out deep dwarf warrior of Makhleb is prety OP combination early on but still - those uniques are friggin' pain! I think, the only way to win DCSS for me is to be killed by all uniques untill i know who they are.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm playing Demon's sword. It's fun.
The ladder is the start tile :
SSRDtVV.jpg

:incline:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The art looks like it's by the same guy who did the art for Infra Arkana. I'll give the game a try, although features like
+ In true Telengard style, any type of enemy may now spawn on any level of the dungeon.
don't fill me with confidence.

Severian Silk

Everyone says they're fans of roguelikes these days because it's trendy.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The art looks like it's by the same guy who did the art for Infra Arkana. I'll give the game a try, although features like
+ In true Telengard style, any type of enemy may now spawn on any level of the dungeon.
don't fill me with confidence.
You can meet any kind of monsters while their level is capped based on the current floor (on the first floor you meet lvl1->4 monsters). That doesn't make the game tedious because a lvl1 dragon is much stronger than a lvl6 bat and because the enemies don't stay on the map so fleeing,bribing them or using an instant death spell are a big part of the game, you won't have to dance.
The game gets to the point, it is very simple, but I like the resource management (spells, holy water/fountains). It's punishing from the very beginning but not that unfair, I mostly if not always end up dying because I did something wrong.

eXalted

Arcane
Gotta hate the telepathy of the archers. They always know where you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom