Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Since it was vaguely mentioned in the thread, any opinion about Demon (the game with monster recruiting)? I want to like the game but the two facts that you don't control demons and that I actually rarely manage to use negotiation (compared with an average SMT game where you will solve half of the fights via negotiation) somewhat kill the fun for me.
Am I missing something? Should I concentrate on the other aspects of the game, which look good? Or perhaps you use negotiation more often as you go deeper (I never really went far into the dungeon)?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Thomas Biskup (Adom)

Santiago Zapata "Slashie" (Ananias)

Angband (Erik Osheim, Robert Au)

Dungeon Hacks (David Craddock)

George Moromisato (Transcendence, Nethack)

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Sonja banished me 2 times. First time i found portal out. Second time i converted to Lugonu and was saved. Then i converted back to Trog and Lugonu banished me third time.

:troll:

kgPNESx.jpg

V_K

Arcane
UnReal World creator announced a huge update in October with quests (finally) and a very coold magic system:

The new spells are often "do like this and that will happen" kind of things. To perform a spell in question you then need to follow the instructions by using the common game mechanics and actions.
For example, if the spell instructions would say "throw three rocks at a spruce tree before the sunrise and your loop snares will be favourable" the spell would be performed by throwing three rocks at a spruce tree before the sunrise. That's just an example and not an actual magical mean there is in the game, but you get the picture.
When the spell required actions have been executed there's no notification of any kind about a succesfully performed spell. If you did the right actions you've performed the spell right, and some magic did happen. If the spell actually worked in the game world or not, well, that is hopefully to be noticed at some point. That's how the spells work.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Might give it another run this time. If I'm ever done with my neverending work.

getter77

Augur
Barony is somewhat akin to Delver---yet different. Some get into it...but a good many others bounce off pretty hard.

Emmanuel2

Savant
anyone tried Barony?

Despite people comparing it to Delver, both are very different in terms of gameplay design. The only comparison one could make is that both are in first person and are real-time.
Delver aims to streamline the experience for newer players of roguelites/likes while Barony aims to please the more core players.

And by "core" I mean that it's much closer to a First Person nethack where wand wielding dwarfs could fuck you up, fountains could fuck you up, traps up the wazoo, enemies that are essential to avoid, a tin opener that is almost as essential as a blanket, and has very varied levels (delver does not). I couldn't finish it within my first 1-2 hours whereas in Delver I did. In those regards, I really recommend it as it's the best roguelite I've played that really hits close to home on its inspirations: Nethack and Ultima Underworld.

claims to be rouge like, dont see it on the list. Looks like minecraft

It's not on the list since it's not a roguelike. There is no list for roguelites here in the codex.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Character creation is just "Choose class -> Choose appearance". Character development is free form, you are free to develop whichever skill (appraisal, combat, magic, swimming, etc.) you want and they levelup by doing rather than putting points reminiscent of UU and most, if not all, traditional roguelikes.

I'm not that big on chargen and chardev since I play for the mechanical crunch of the gameplay systems. BUT if you want traditional roguelikes with great chargen/dev, you can try:

• Poschengband which has 40 races, all of which have different intrinsics, penalties (like halfings can't use large bows, etc.) and playstyle. 44 classes, a couple even have 5-7 subclasses and some has 7-10+ realms/schools of magic/skill to choose from and multiple personalities. A huge overworld, quests, and lots of things to die horribly from.
  • Elona+ has awesome chargen/dev. 7-8 classes each with differing potentials which dictate how you develop your skill, some have exclusive skills, each of them have different inherent abilities. How you develop your character is up to you, want to be a Sorcerer-Sword wielding-Gun totting-Monster taming-Ninja-Museum Collector-Chef extraodinaire-Professional riding-mutated human that can damn well play the piano at parties, invest at shops for them to grow their inventories and farm/grow stuff between downtimes? Go for it since I did but lots of grinding awaits you. The first continent can take 100 hours to complete + postgame without cheesy tactics which they thankfully removed by the time I played and finished it.

• Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode. The definitive/best one.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, the amount of noise that makes is dangerous even in a confined dungeon, nevermind the abyss with a potentially infinite number of enemies to piss off.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
"Jupiter Hell" news:

As many of you probably know, we tried our hand at streaming development on twitch.tv. We'd like to make it a regular (at least weekly) activity, however it's extremely hard to pick a time slot that fits everybody. Our current idea is to stream at 5 UTC, each Wednesday, for about 2-3 hours.

You can check what time that would be in your time zone: https://a.chronus.eu/177495C

How does it fit? We probably can't stream later, but we can start up to 6 hours earlier.

Please tell us, if you'd be able to watch (if interested) at that given time. If answering, please state your time zone!
https://www.reddit.com/r/JupiterHel...iter_hell_streaming_schedule_opinions_needed/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom