Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I never really understood the whining over gnomes with wands of death. For every one of those you'll find like 20 wishes. Get reflection, scrubs.

Oh it's not whining, it's just one of those trademark little things that just makes the experience that much better and "raw" despite being easily countered. I'll never forget the first time I randomly died to a gnome with a wand of death and it was a good run too.

To be fair, the whole death gnome meme was about getting zapped so early that having reflection was highly unlikely.

Of course, one of my fondest memories was finding Mjolnir on floor on D2. Live by the RNG, die by the RNG.

Ent

Savant
So when do longblades get good in Caves of Qud? Shortblades seem to put them to shame in every way possible and allow you do be decent at range as well because you only need to invest in quickness.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah the dex vs str thing is long overdue for a major rebalance. They nerfed shortblades and dex a bit not too long ago but it's still no contest. Free counterattacks is pretty much the only reason to go for melee, and daggers do it a million times better than swords, and axes and clubs don't do it at all. Also heavy armour is garbage because half the dangerous shit in the game will do so much damage it may as well not exist, or it does some deadly status effect that does ignore it. Not to mention weight is actually valuable, so that's another drawback, since even with less str in your build you'll have more free room without some bullshit fullerite platemail holding you down. Also shields are basically a joke. Literally better off with an empty hand, or even holding some useless junk that will make a wasted attack. At least then you won't suffer the dodge penalty.

Ent

Savant
Has anyone here played vagante or catacomb kids? They are pretty fun as far as rogue-lites go.

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
This is dumb.
PWyp2Ir.png

It becomes this quickly
optical-illusion2.jpg

Dreed
Irenaeus

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!
khr5rwy.png

edit

Almost got eaten by Ghouls on the next level, pheww..

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
Professional Adventurers League

qckzmrv.png

znluYh0.png

kBpVSoT.png

im an idiot
i thought level 7 would be the last one so i blasted through all my inventory stuffies
and got raped on level 8...
word of spoiler warning, level 8 bumps difficulty something srs... also fuck archers and how they somehow shoot trhough enemies and how the fucking gaym spawns them even in your viewcone...

Ent

Savant
I bought and gifted Caves of Qud to three of my friends last week looks like the timing was perfect.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Is Qud kind of unfinished or lets say experimental with lots of broken builds? I made my first character just for fun experiments sake, will 24, ego 24, int 14, teleport and beguile friend, and no damage output and have been playing along nicely until I suddenly realized that I am dead...

You were killed by a young ivory.
> You take 2 damage from bleeding!
> You take 2 damage from bleeding!
> The jilted lover hits (x1) for 3 damage with its thorns 5 1d4! [5]
> You begin bleeding!
> You take 9 damage from young ivory's impalement.
> The young ivory strikes!
> You pass by a trash.
> You pass by a dreadroot.

I would have saved myself if holding down left would stop moving me after the first damage dealt but it didnt and before I woke up it was too late...

It was a fun run though.
First beguiled friend was a croc named pupper, he killed a lot and leveled up thrice himself.
He died to a fungus infested croc, named killercroc who took his place and I think infected me with that sporesthing that blocks your hands and acts as a weapon.
Killercroc died at Redrock when a gang of snapjaws with a unique leader rushed him and his spores couldnt kill em fast enough.
Now the experimenting build came into play and I could beguile the unique snapjaw with a purple name and electric mace. He was the damage dealer now. I think archer plants killed him.
And I fell asleep on level 4 of Redrock after finishing the quest.

Damned Registrations

To be fair, you were playing a very squishy character, holding left probably not a great idea. There's an autoexplore button, I'd suggest using that to map areas without risking getting gibbed while you walk past an enemy.

That said, yeah, Qud is very rough right now, theres some really broken shit (enemies that will stunlock you to death from beyond line of sight) and overpowered builds (daggers got nerfed yet again, still by far the only viable melee option though, and melee is pretty shit in general compared to guns.) Also, some mutations are just clearly unbalanced, multiple legs is amazing for example, multiple arms is total trash.

If you want to try some build ideas out fairly quick, I suggest taking wings and the quest from the pilgrim in Joppa; you can hit level 5 within the first few minutes and get an idea of what the mutations look like after a couple upgrades.

getter77

Augur
Qud is now on a massive uptick in dev pace and potency as well---so these next months where they sprint towards the full and proper release should come to sort out all manner of things.

We have an announcement! Jason, one of our core team's two members, is now working full-time on Caves of Qud! Not only does this mean better weekly patches, but we'll also be bundling updates into bigger feature releases every few weeks. Stay tuned for more info. Until then, here's the first of our new and improved weekly patches.

Added a new quest to the end of the main questline: Pax Klanq, I Presume?
Gave Pax Klanq dialog.
Spruced up Pax Klanq's hut.
Renamed the fungal jungle to The Rainbow Wood.
Added a new fungal infection: Klanq. You may observe strange behavior among the infected.
Added a procedurally-driven quest: Spread Klanq.
Added a new item: quantum mote.
Added descriptions for Eater's flesh, Eater's fleshcap, and human remains.
Added Barathrum the Old.
Added Barathrum's study beneath Grit Gate.
The stairs leading to Barathrum's study are now locked and require a key.
Added Euclid, a Markov-fueled prattleplant that loves to talk.
Added new furniture.
bookshelves with more procedural books
Barathrum clock
Barathrum clock with Q Girl pendulum
brass foaminator
flux gauge
electrodicus
Added new book: Crime and Punishment
Spruced up Q Girl's space, giving her more workbenches and tinker furniture.
Goatfolk no longer always hate baboon faction leaders for disproving famous theorems.
Added message log entries for NPCs unequipping items.
Added message log entries for NPCs tossing items aside.
Added clickable tiles for moving to an adjacent map when zoomed in.
Fixed tile for Mechanimst catechist.
Fixed grammar issue with night-vision goggles' article.
Fixed Shem -1's name in the quest text for A Call to Arms.
Fixed a liquid duplication issue when pouring volumes onto empty containers laying on the ground.
Fixed an issue that caused the sizes of message boxes to grow as more were displayed.
Made the text fit better on some character creation screens in the new UI.
Slightly increased default UI reference resolution to better accommodate small screens.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
To be fair, you were playing a very squishy character, holding left probably not a great idea. There's an autoexplore button, I'd suggest using that to map areas without risking getting gibbed while you walk past an enemy.

That said, yeah, Qud is very rough right now, theres some really broken shit (enemies that will stunlock you to death from beyond line of sight) and overpowered builds (daggers got nerfed yet again, still by far the only viable melee option though, and melee is pretty shit in general compared to guns.) Also, some mutations are just clearly unbalanced, multiple legs is amazing for example, multiple arms is total trash.

If you want to try some build ideas out fairly quick, I suggest taking wings and the quest from the pilgrim in Joppa; you can hit level 5 within the first few minutes and get an idea of what the mutations look like after a couple upgrades.

I just wish that there would be more cybernetics for the True Kin other than what's hidden deep in Bethesda Susa (I think that's the place where you can get fitted with 4 cybernetics).

Granted, True Kin get more skill points and the like during level up and they have higher stats but it feels like the mutants have all the fun...

Damned Registrations

True kin also get to party up with robots and have some different faction defaults, but yeah, their character building feels pretty dull by comparison. Actually their main benefit is probably the better benefits from the various injections. I've never actually tried it but I'd imagine they're pretty viable if you gather up the recipes for them and keep a variety on you to handle various situations. Hopefully they add some alternate questlines for the True Kin at some point as well.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Run the sorta same build, took 24 Int (for the skillpoints) instead of Will, Apostle (for the Convince Follower skill from the get go). And dropped Ester so that I could have Beguile, Domination, Teleport. Have 2 snapjaw warlords (all attributes around 17, ~20hp, lvl1), Tom and Jerry, geared out (Domination is a great skill, allows you to levelup, inventory, full control over the target) following me. One of them Beguiled the other Convinced. They are both alpha swarmers and get +2 to Penetration, have the first Axes skill. Its feels great.

The AI is dumb though.
They have no priority. The first thing they attack, they will try to kill no matter what.
Or they will run towards glorious death. Lost one who ran towards "Impossible" tortoises. I tried teleporting to the maps edge and existing but he didnt follow...
Also dangerous to Dominate a third victim and by chance attacking one of your followers. Their allegiance becomes all fucked up. Both are Friendly but one of them is attacking the other. You have to quickly find some stairs. One of them will follow, you Convince him which seems to reset the aggro allegiances. Or maybe you Beguile him first, I dont remember, but the order and place are important.

Damned Registrations

If you want to play that style, you might be better off playing a True Kin. Then you can just crank Cha up to get followers, and have stats left over for str/dex/endurance. Not being able to control their gear with Domination might suck but you can find some seriously well geared dudes out there. Not sure how hard they are to con into joining you though. I wonder if faction relations has any impact on that stuff?

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Hard to say but there is def a random roll involved with the Proselytize (Convince) skill. You can also Convince hostiles to join you mid fight :lol:
I dont think pumping Ego matters though. You can only have 1 follower from Proselytize and Beguile each. The other beguiled Friendlies just stand around. The Beguile bonus to HP doesnt go away too, so always Beguile first and Convince later -> snapjaw warlords with 50 HP.

Attributes are rare though. At level 7 I got 1 whole extra and one time +1 to all. Sucks. I thought I could pump Agi a bit.

Also, built my first frag grenade!

Afraid to press M, it just throws a random bad/good Mutation at you?
th4pTDp.jpg

Damned Registrations

Throws a set of 3 random ones. There's usually something decent in there, and you can almost always avoid anything outright bad like horns or whatever that would cost you a slot. I generally don't use it though since I always start with a phys mutation to dump points into.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom