Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The first few levels of Zigs are pretty easy, I'd definitely give one a shot. Just make sure to bail when you start having trouble, because it does keep getting harder each level at a pretty fast pace, and they have a lot of variety in mobs. You might face undead one level and angels the next, so don't assume you can handle things just because the types of enemies were easy for your build.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The first few levels of Zigs are pretty easy, I'd definitely give one a shot. Just make sure to bail when you start having trouble, because it does keep getting harder each level at a pretty fast pace, and they have a lot of variety in mobs. You might face undead one level and angels the next, so don't assume you can handle things just because the types of enemies were easy for your build.
Yeah, Zigs are really evil. They give you those nice rewards at the end of each level so you want to do the next one for even better reward, but then they drop a bunch of undead casters and you get swarmed by trash mobs and tormented, smote, exploded to death.

And Damned Registrations is right, the fact that you could deal easily with one level does not mean that the next one will not be significantly more difficult. Bail at the first opportunity when you get what you wanted. Well, unless you think you are a bad enough dude!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
THABKS BROS

I WAS KINDA FUCKED FOR POTUONS

I SUPPOSE ILL LOOK HARDER AND SWUTCH TO ZIN IF IM UNLUCKY

IM STEADILY GETTING BETTER AT THE GAME I DONT PLAY CAREFUL AT THE START BUT ONCE I GET TO LAIR IM FINE IF I DONT GET BANISHED

Zdzisiu

Arcane
THABKS BROS

I WAS KINDA FUCKED FOR POTUONS

I SUPPOSE ILL LOOK HARDER AND SWUTCH TO ZIN IF IM UNLUCKY

IM STEADILY GETTING BETTER AT THE GAME I DONT PLAY CAREFUL AT THE START BUT ONCE I GET TO LAIR IM FINE IF I DONT GET BANISHED
That seem to be the most common situation. When you manage to get to lair, then the character is doing pretty decently and you will probably get a few runes on it. But most of my characters die on the early levels because I push them to hard and die in a stupid way.

There were some changes to mutations in recent patches, amulet of resist mutation is gone, thats why mutations are more of a threat now. I remember having a problem with them on my 15 runes win but mostly in Abyss due to the mutating monsters. Also, fuck the jellies zone too.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Just finished act 1 and act 2 of Elona+ solo (no pets, only fists) in under ~80 hours at character level 63. For shame that the victory screen for act 2 is the same as in act 1 except replacing Lesimas with Rehmido.

The level 100+ dungeons can have some ridiculous enemies like this motherfucker.

m5Oy9Ki.png

The last part of act 2 was pretty tricky since the final boss can instagib my 2.5k HP 304 PV in a single 200% power gauge burst and instantly heal herself back to 25% HP when around 10% which means that having low firepower means that it's literally impossible to clear the second act of the game much like the first act.

Was able to down her after getting her to enough health but not too low proc her Super Regene (not a typo) then proceeding to: Cast Hero -> Cast Nightmare -> Attribution -> Rampage -> Smile Field -> Cowering Smile -> Gauge Release then bump attack which did a nice 9.5K + 1.2k nerve and another follow up attack for 1.3k and 400 nerve. Might've been less riskier/need not to be very careful in managing her health when I remembered I had the Statue of Mani for boost.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Only fists? What do you mean?
Last time I played, I chose Golem, sadly saves on fried PC.

Only using Martial Arts/bump attacks and a few buffs. By that time, alot of PCs would go for magic since it scales much better than weapon skills however Martial Arts can go to as high as 2d255+254 base without counting the multipliers so among weapons they're the best choice in the long run.

Golem seems to be the best choice for a race since it's immune to dim and offsetting the bad attributes is easy. I chose Eulderna/Farmer so that I won't have to spend PP for literacy and casting at the start.

By the way, do any of you know where I can exchange sox for scrolls of growth in Lost Irva (act 3)?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You sure that fists is better andgame weapon.
I mean Elona have a tons of content and a lots of mechanics, is is possible you missed something?
Like various skills, spells combination etc.
And why wihtout pets?
It is a quest on its own to taim silver bell early on.
Or is it called platinum bell already?

Emmanuel2

Savant
I don't know if you've played Vanilla or Elona+, I'd just assume it's vanilla.

You sure that fists is better andgame weapon.
I mean Elona have a tons of content and a lots of mechanics, is is possible you missed something?
Like various skills, spells combination etc.

Martial Arts have the best "extra chance for melee attack" attribute, damage die, innate pierce and can allow additional (around 0.5x more) damage in attribute type using Attribution for getting the said bonus damage and Element Eyes for choosing the type. They can also potentially get up to 8 attacks in one turn and they're the only that can do that. At skill level 1000, there are no weapons that can do 2d124+123 and at 50% pierce, even the god weapons can't compare except for God Breaker @ 2d200 but at a massive disadvantage, -hit and "it brings an end". Even with Tonfas/Claws, the damage die, along with the multiplier and the hit die all scale with your Martial Arts skill.

As for what skills/stats I have, changed farmer -> thief for 100% critical hit against unaware enemies class feat
8eVTXWH.png

Though tbh and from what I've found, it's pretty low for act 3. Speed is 603 when soloing, it's at 520 since I'm at my home where there are stay-at-home pets and I don't like abandoning pets. I still can raise my base speed to 500. I have all the spells minus wish which is pretty easy to do and have them at level 30+ while magic dart/buffs (Feather, hero, concentration, etc.) at 70+. You can check my spoiler in the previous post for how I dealt with the final boss of Act 2.

And why wihtout pets?
It is a quest on its own to taim silver bell early on.
Or is it called platinum bell already?

Vanilla elona can be done with just pets, but elona+ is a much different beast. If I were to rely on pets early on, then I would become useless myself which is why I decided to solo the act 1 god races (Ultima, cat queen and the mage god) then just decided to solo the whole of act 2.

And no, it's not a quest/challenge on it's own to tame a silver/platina bell. Gather Small medals from the towns -> Get Rod of Domination from Workshop -> Get yourself a bell or something while spam entering wilderness tiles or Puppy cave. Bells become obsolete once enemies start having 300+ speed average and have better hit die, magic and has sure hit special actions like Shining Wave. Monster pets become very easy to acquire once you have access to a rank 100+ Monster Ball shop in Act 2 + knockout feat, NPC pets on the other hand require the Astral Light Pen.

This is my second playthrough of elona+, the first one was 3-4 years ago and it took me 100+ hours for the first act and its postgame. I couldn't recall anything but farmer being the best starter class for gardening herbs until you can invest 120+ ranks into magic shops for reliable potions of potential. I also recall relying on shining wave cheese, making Dlvl 60+ dungeons a bit hard once I ran out of stamina.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I played only Elona+.
Hm, don't remember, but looks like my char was farmer or pianist with ranged weapon. I need to fix my PC to see it, but I'm sure that if I picked ranged combat it was for a reason.
Like I dug up wiki and found best way to deal with enemies.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I played only Elona+.
Hm, don't remember, but looks like my char was farmer or pianist with ranged weapon. I need to fix my PC to see it, but I'm sure that if I picked ranged combat it was for a reason.
Like I dug up wiki and found best way to deal with enemies.

Maybe you picked it for convenience? The early game ain't exactly that forgiving towards melee PCs compared to ranged PCs. Interestingly, my first playthrough was a pianist/firearms but that was back then when pianists were still good for the early game as for choosing firearms, it was because of the convenience and the not-getting-hit part was very appealing to a new player.

Ranged weapons are good especially laser guns due to their ranged multiplier being 10-10-10-10-10-10-04 where 10 is 100% damage aka full damage/no penalty though they fall off noticeably by Act 2/South Tyris, but the best weapon (ranged or melee) will always be high level unarmed/fists. Attribution (free elemental damage of your choosing with <Element Eyes>), Barakuken (3x3 sound damage that scales with martial arts and magic), and clear mind (free bonus to WILL, PER, Martial Arts).

Out of curiosity, how far did you get in the story? Maybe I'm just spouting nonsense when in fact you're much much more experienced. :? If so, my bad.

Damned Registrations

I've always been curious how people get past the early stages of Elona without cheating. Like, after the first 10-20 levels or so, all my stats have basically no potential left, and ditto for skills unless I spam platinum coins on them, which take a while to farm, even if I'm doing something easy like the harvest quests. How did you get your stats that high in less than 60000 hours? I'm assuming it involves making obscene amounts of cash somehow and buying out scroll or potion shops or something?

Emmanuel2

Savant
I've always been curious how people get past the early stages of Elona without cheating. Like, after the first 10-20 levels or so, all my stats have basically no potential left, and ditto for skills unless I spam platinum coins on them, which take a while to farm, even if I'm doing something easy like the harvest quests. How did you get your stats that high in less than 60000 hours? I'm assuming it involves making obscene amounts of cash somehow and buying out scroll or potion shops or something?

The early stages of Elona is definitely hard but not as hard as what comes after completing North Tyris.

You're basically gonna get stuck in "bad" or possibly "hopeless" after 10-20 levels for a while. This is where the farmer comes in, his Gardening skill lets you plant herb seeds gained from Harvest Time! quests which will considerably train your stats for a while once you have a farm up and he also has Cooking which lets him do Herb Infused food that give great exp throughout your attributes. After around 30-40+ in your main combat stat, you can enter dungeons which will net you around 10-20k per run and a few PPs. They're quick to run as long as you keep the level low enough for you to roll through.

Then, getting enough gold (around 50k) and training in Investing, go invest on magic vendors across towns. At rank 70 they start stocking potions of potentials which, if blessed, grant 20% potential to ALL attributes at 32k non-blessed per pop wherein at this point, you'll start earning 20-30k per run. You get small medals from the runs you do, get some potions of water from the workshop and bless them, even 1 bottle of water can bless an any-numbered stack of potentials. This will keep the player character relevant for the rest of the game.

A reliable way to raise base Speed is accessible only after completing the first act/North Tyris.

Dungeon runs are my main income, a run can last up to 5-10 minutes and yield 100k+ gold + ~5 PP at dungeon levels 70+. Though, it might take much longer now since completing the second continent unlocks the power gauges of all the enemies even non-bosses which will be quite dangerous especially since I'm solo.

As for the Skills part, I have no idea how to maintain a moderate amount of potential. Basically I just focus on one skill then pour all my PP on it until it reaches a good level.

EDIT: For gods, worship either Lulwy (combat) or Yacathect (money). Kumiromi, the gardening god, doesn't really provide bonuses that are immediate for new characters.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Out of curiosity, how far did you get in the story?
Didn;t finish act 1 actually. )
Elona+ has so much content I just felt lost sometimes. I played longtime and only then e.g. found that you can change your start class with some card or something.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUCK YEAH

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.0-19-g8c6edcc (webtiles) character file.

1659663 blobert the Slayer (level 27, 196/196 HPs)
Began as a Gargoyle Berserker on Nov 12, 2016.
Was a High Priest of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Nov 13, 2016!

The game lasted 06:03:48 (85295 turns).

blobert the Slayer (Gargoyle Berserker) Turns: 85295, Time: 06:03:48

Health: 196/196 AC: 58 Str: 25 XL: 27
Magic: 25/25 EV: 18 Int: 5 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold: 4966 SH: 0 Dex: 18 Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire + + + SeeInvis + B - +9 broad axe (vamp)
rCold + . . Gourm . n - +0 gold dragon scales
rNeg + + + Faith . (no shield)
rPois ∞ Spirit . M - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec + Reflect . z - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr . Harm . I - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
MR +++++ L - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth .......... X - amulet "Zuargha" {MR+ Regen+}
K - ring of Karielol {rF+ rN++}
y - ring of protection from fire

@: flying, quick
A: big wings, dopey 2, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance,
weak 1, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks,
Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

You escaped.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was extremely pleased with you.
You were full.

You visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and saw 49 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 1 time.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You visited 1 ziggurat, and saw 4 of its levels.
You also visited: Ice Cave.

You collected 9203 gold pieces.
You spent 4237 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
B - a +9 vampiric broad axe (weapon)
F - a +4 demon whip of electrocution
Armour
n - +0 gold dragon scales (worn)
w - a +8 plate armour of fire resistance
z - a +2 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
I - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
L - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
M - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
(You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

It affects your accuracy and damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks
(+3).
It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
It lets you see invisible.
Jewellery
m - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
y - a ring of protection from fire (left hand)
K - the ring of Karielol (right hand) {rF+ rN++}
(You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

[ring of protection from fire]

It protects you from fire.
It greatly protects you from negative energy.
X - the amulet "Zuargha" (around neck) {MR+ Regen+}
(You took it off a deep elf demonologist on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

[amulet of regeneration]

It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
It increases your rate of regeneration.
Wands
d - a wand of digging (14/24)
e - a wand of teleportation (7/9)
r - a wand of random effects (20/48)
s - a wand of teleportation (5/9)
x - a wand of digging (10/24)
S - a wand of slowing (27/48)
Scrolls
a - 6 scrolls of fog
b - 5 scrolls of holy word
f - 6 scrolls of magic mapping
g - 10 scrolls of identify
j - 29 scrolls of remove curse
p - 4 scrolls of fear
q - 5 scrolls of summoning
G - 4 scrolls of teleportation
H - 6 scrolls of recharging
J - 6 scrolls of blinking
Potions
h - 2 potions of cure mutation
k - a potion of agility
l - 18 potions of curing
v - 3 potions of resistance
W - 3 potions of invisibility
Z - a potion of cancellation
Miscellaneous
U - 2 phantom mirrors
Y - a phial of floods
Comestibles
c - 24 bread rations
o - 4 slices of pizza
u - 23 meat rations
D - 8 royal jellies
E - 25 fruits
V - 4 beef jerkies

Skills:
+ Level 26.5 Fighting
+ Level 24.6(25.5) Axes
- Level 14.6(22.0) Maces & Flails
* Level 24.9 Armour
* Level 18.9 Dodging
+ Level 3.8 Evocations

You had 26 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Next stage - take 10 runes!
Nah, the next step should be trying the whole 15 runes. You have to visit some interesting places to gather them all.

But more realistically, the next step will be doing another 3 rune win with the same characters to try and find out what allowed you to win in the first place. Then maybe a 3 rune win with another race/class combo.

And only then you are ready for the Minotaur warrior of Okawaru ->The Shining One to win 15 runes and make your life complete.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Lol. ) The problem for me with Elona in general that it has so much content that if I did break from Elona, then usually it is easier to start anew.

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
Lol. ) The problem for me with Elona in general that it has so much content that if I did break from Elona, then usually it is easier to start anew.

Yeah, there's no denying that the sheer amount of content available in the first act alone is pretty fucking massive. Heck, people can waste 100s of hours on the first act alone then they find out that the next act is much more challenging than Act 1's postgame. Even by just looking at a guide it's still an overwhelming amount of stuff. That said, it won't be a surprise that a large percent of the playerbase have yet to catch up to Elona+'s Act 3 content updates.

On another note, I just beat <Siva>. He was much easier than his Void version.

SLaxKIa.png
vrNIeRC.png

Damned Registrations

Fucking hell, I need to make a backup of that wiki then, useful info on there. Motherfuckers.

I hope he just changes all instances of 'Doom' to 'Duum' and calls it a day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom