Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Saduj

Arcane
Fallen/Beyond the End looks like its been in development for a while:

"Fallen is a sandbox roguelike game that combines standard dungeon crawl and strategic development of your own organization.

You start as wannabe Great Hero, leader and the only member of your own faction. You would lead it to True Glory or fail as nameless cannon fodder during some dare adventures.

With an eye to achieve this you are completely free in your action. Explore dungeons and caves, hunt wildlife, trade and live in towns and hamlets. Fight villains or collaborate with them, it is up to you. And so on."

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Fallen

Game still seems to be in early development. Can download at developer's website here: http://bterogue.blogspot.com/ (link to latest build doesn't work but previous link is does)

Played for a little less than an hour....

Character building is done by choosing a class and spending points on perks that grant passive bonuses or special abilities. You can gain extra points by taking on negative traits (completely unnecessary in the game's current state). Right now there is one class available and very limited choices for spending points.

Game is almost bare bones at this point. Combat is ridiculously easy, although my character started taking some damage towards the end of the starting area. Just reached the 1st town, can't yet tell if there is anything to do there other than sell junk and kill invading monsters. Interface needs alot of work.

Seems like an ambitious project that is very far from being realized. Wouldn't recommend playing unless you like what you see in the links and just want to check out what he's got so far. I'll probably give it another spin soon and if I find any additional features working or actual challenge worth playing, I'll update this post.

Edit: So apparently there is no save feature in the latest available build. I assumed my game had saved on exit. Not going to mess with this again until it is much further along....

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got to the boss in Infra Arcana 19.1-beta 2 and hit him a fair amount of times, but he destroyed me in the end, he is a nasty boy.

You should play this game, this version is the best I played. It's really great. Very hard, but a lot of fun.

8429980789df186e2615ed3e81959502.png

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gotta love the status effects. The only ones the boss can't inflict are curse and Disease. A healthy and tidy Sorcerer. An honor to die to such a gentleman.

Notice also the amount of summons, and I destroyed a fair amount of them with several cartridges of TNT.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I hear that there are some personality clashes in development of Cataclysm:DDA.
To be honest I haven't touched the game since they added clothes layer management, too autistic for me.

unknown.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kevin and some part of the staff and community are (at least were when I still frequent the game) promote autistic simulation over actual content. The game content has been very stale in the last half year or so because they simply keep adding more autistic features or items.

The biggest turn down and me leaving the game was when they added dirty clothes and cloth washing. It was a truly shitty mechanic that added pointless grind in earlygame and Coolthulu was really out spoken against it too. They ended up making optional mod to remove it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They've made some QoL improvements like making batches of items and the way books are read and allow access to recipes, but they've also made a lot of stuff extra tedious as well. I think one of the last features I heard about was some retarded mechanics for needing jacks or even cranes to repair large vehicles, which is already a pretty tedious process since vehicles often have upwards of a hundred 'parts' that can be damaged, and replacing or repairing them often involves having to find other vehicles and dismantle them and then haul back heavy objects. They also apparently tried to do some overhaul of the engine system and ended up rolling it back anyways.

One thing I really wish they'd add/change is making vehicle or structural armor more difficult for zombies to damage. There's no sane reason why a regular zombie should be able to batter down an armored vehicle or steel/stone wall in a matter of minutes.

Trash Player

Scholar
Gotta love the status effects. The only ones the boss can't inflict are curse and Disease. A healthy and tidy Sorcerer. An honor to die to such a gentleman.

Notice also the amount of summons, and I destroyed a fair amount of them with several cartridges of TNT.
Some digging revealed the GW has 110hp, 110% speed, a non-unique master spell list and immunity to pretty much everything.
Para potion, electric shot or max level dark bolt can lock him down. He is also undead and vulnerable to BotU trait.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I haven't tried Cogmind (it looks sick), but Caves of Qud is one of the best games I've ever played, roguelike or not. Also as noted it has both robots and mutants.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I think Caves of Qud and Cogmind are structured differently.
Caves of Qud has big open world; whereas Cogmind seems be more linear experience. So it's choice between sandbox and dungeon crawler.
(Correct me if I'm wrong about Cogmind, but that is the impression I've got from watching some LPs.)

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Is it worth playing Caves of Qud before the final story release? I'm holding myself.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Setting
You are a Xenomarine, stranded in a dark alien-infested space station. Your squad are all dead, and you have nothing but a crowbar, a torch running low on power and some battered armor. Death is certain, but you're sure as hell going to take as many Xenos as possible down with you before you go! And you've not forgotten the rumours that there's powerful ancient alien tech to be found...

Features Of Xenomarine Early Access
  • Rich, Tactical Turn-based Combat
  • infinite, randomly Generated Levels
  • Atmospheric lighting and procedurally generated sound effects
  • Unique useable items such as scanners, forcefields and night-vision goggles
  • Over 80 increasingly dangerous alien species
  • No starting class: develop your class on the fly with over 70 skill upgrades
  • Multiple damage types and status effects
  • Crafting (craft items from scrap and upgrade weapons and armor)
  • Hack drones; deploy traps; find and use mysterious alien tech
  • Random mini-quests
  • Intuitive user interface, with mouse-only and keyboard-only support

Alpha version is available free on itch.io: https://logophil.itch.io/xenomarine

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah thats the vibe I got from looking at the website. Was willing to give the demo a try, but if it won't even let me do that, fuck em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom