Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

PrettyDeadman

DCSS is just so good! Best casual roguelike there is.

PrettyDeadman

It was good before they start to casualize it, and before gender-religion bullshit they start to pour into game.
Now it's a pile of shit.
It doesn't look or feel that different from what it was a couple of years ago.
It seems that they made some minuscule changes which enraged some people without affecting base gameplay loop.

Last edited by a moderator:

getter77

Augur
"Adom", "Omega" inspired "Shadow of the Wyrm" got another release:

http://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/downloads.html

Played it 1.5 year ago, liked it: big world, good itemization but there was alot of incomplete locations, quests. Anybody tried new releases?

After that long, you should probably dip back in as the last update in conjunction with this one marks the first hard stab at endgame and winning content with all the ambitions such would entail in fine spectacle within the ADOM and such traditions.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

It was good before they start to casualize it, and before gender-religion bullshit they start to pour into game.
Now it's a pile of shit.
There is some "gender-religion bullshit" in there now ? Really ?
The good part about DCSS is that older builds are easily available and the game is in "finished" state (so to speak) since forever. You think the game was at its peak 3 years ago ? Play a version from that period. Unless you like the competition aspect and comparing yourself to others then no luck.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
They start some SJW bullshit there, there was a lot of studiness with Sword of Jihad and some mislim whining about it, also they readily cleansing all reference to European white culture - because it's bad!
Why? Because it can insult some non-white and non-European!
So all Mexican cultural references are all right, and any other, but white European - not!

Eat that shit yourself, because I don't want to.

PrettyDeadman

They start some SJW bullshit there, there was a lot of studiness with Sword of Jihad and some mislim whining about it, also they readily cleansing all reference to European white culture - because it's bad!
So all Mexican cultural references are all right, and any other, but white European - not!

I remember the butthurt around Sword of Jiahd. Is that really the main reason why the game is a pile of shit now? Lol.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I remember the butthurt around Sword of Jiahd. Is that really the main reason why the game is a pile of shit now? Lol.
I haven't played it for a long time and last time I did it was still in the stage of people being butthurt about too much streamlining so I have no idea about the SJW stuff.
However i can clearly see that you see only what you want to see. Fenix didn't say that the Sword is the only or even the main reason. You made that interpretation yourself for some... reason.
All this talk made me curious to see for myself if they really have succumbed to the SJW virus or it's just hysteria. For a classic roguelike community it would be the first.

PrettyDeadman

I haven't played it for a long time and last time I did it was still in the stage of people being butthurt about too much streamlining so I have no idea about the SJW stuff.
However i can clearly see that you see only what you want to see. Fenix didn't say that that Sword is the only or even the main reason. You made that interpretation for some... reason.
All this talk made me curious to see for myself if they really succumbed to the SJW virus or it's just hysteria. For a classic roguelike community it would be the first.
I remember then Sword of Jihad happened. When he said that the game got spoiled by sjw stuff I googled it and found nothing relevant except Sword of Jihad stuff.
I make assumptions based on information what was given to me and what I was able to find myself.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Is that really the main reason why the game is a pile of shit now?
One of them.
Other is simplification and "streamlining" here and there.
Overall, as I said, my interest to DCSS diminished.

found nothing relevant except Sword of Jihad stuff
Too sad for you.

Not go to Tavern and read all those topics. Those who butthurt about DCSS having to much references to white European culture, reasons why some races were cut out.
Also when people talk about that shit there, questioning such decision these topics locked quickly, posts that don't fir in SJW standarts like words "tranny" are deleted.
I stop to track this pile of shit long ago, so possibly there were much more.

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/c3e0a5ca6ddc4b3908ba1774af25dfd7dfa69b92

Serus

Arcane
Patron
30 seconds of Google then... Let me not be very impressed. I'd like to wait what Fenix has to add, if he has some links (or anything at all) to back his claims.
Just wanted to post this to Pretty when bam! Thanks Fenix.

...or you unironically complain about "political correctness", you should probably go back to complaining about food or high elves instead of "participating" here.
Yep. Sounds like a SJW allright. And it proves that there are people complaining about political corectness which alone suggests that it in fact might be an issue.

PrettyDeadman

PrettyDeadman

...or you unironically complain about "political correctness", you should probably go back to complaining about food or high elves instead of "participating" here.
Yep. Sounds like a SJW allright. And it proves that there are people complaining about political corectness which alone suggests that it in fact might be an issue.
How else are you going to politely ask an autist on the internet to stop spamming his autist shit on boards?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Are you on purpose dense ? Even the speech pattern is SJW-like. Start with dismissing the opposite views and then quickly suggest they leave your safe space. Except DCSS forum should not be a safe space. It's not a private company working on it.

PrettyDeadman

Are you on purpose dense ? Even the speech pattern is SJW-like. Start with dismissing the opposite views and then quickly suggest they leave your safe space. Except DCSS forum should not be a safe space. It's not a private company working on it.
Someone could always fork it and rename all the things back to what they were, though I wonder if anyone will chose to play that version instead of the official branch because those changes do not improve the game in any way.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Someone could always fork it and rename all the things back to what they were, though I wonder if anyone will chose to play that version of the official branch because it does not improve the game in any way.
That's not the point and you know it. Someone could but people changing those forums into safe space remain.

Besides - you said you found "nothing relevant" in you "search". Must have been a hell of a search then !

PrettyDeadman

Someone could always fork it and rename all the things back to what they were, though I wonder if anyone will chose to play that version of the official branch because it does not improve the game in any way.
That's not the point and you know it. Someone could but people changing those forums into safe space remain.

Besides - you said you found "nothing relevant" in you "search". Must have been a hell of a search then !
I google "dcss sjw".

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I google "dcss sjw".
Seriously ? Great job then. I see you really like to research things "in depth". No big risk of finding anything that will make you question your previously made opinions that way, eh ? Don't feel bad, we all know the feeling.

Still the game is there, and as i said before, if one really wants older versions are available. And perhaps someone will make a fork. There was one or two attempts in the past, even before all shit with streamlining - it didn't catch but you never know in the future.

Edit:
That post Fenix linked is a gold mine. It's like a SJW manifest.
Another pearl:
so you've got this weird division where Jesus gets a big ingame presence but Buddhism and Hinduism and everything else get a monster or unrandart name at "best"
I'm not even going into the stupidity of claim that "Jesus" is getting big ingame presence but author clearly assumes that every religion must be represented equally (or not at all) - and never explains why it's such an obvious assumption that everyone should accept.

Next.
Trying to diversify the game's source material is good but if you treat some sources as conspicuously exotic, you're making the game more Eurocentric, not less.
Why Crawl can't be "Eurocentric" (as it supposedly always have been) but absolutely must suddenly now change to be something else ? And why supposed Eurocentrism is bad in a fucking video game ? Someone ever complained that some game are too Japano-centric for example ? In short - Europe bad.

This is textbook retarded leftist SJW rhetoric at its "finest". RIP DCSS in its current form if people like this are running it now.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Why Crawl can't be "Eurocentric" (as it supposedly always have been) but absolutely must suddenly now change to be something else ? And why supposed Eurocentrism is bad in a fucking video game ? Someone ever complained that some game are too Japano-centric for example ? In short - Europe bad.
That exactly line just infuriated me, but there were more, my Russian brethren made varios provocativ topics, when they pulled that distorted logic to the limit, to logical end - of course they all were quickly locked.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom