Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Incursion, that's the one using 3rd edition D&D rules, right?

I've been playing Incursion lately, and wow, the further I get into the game the more it's really, really annoying me.[...]Just the design decisions. [...] absolutely doesn't work. [...] you'll want to pull your hair out. [...] of how badly that shit can go, [...] The whole game feels like it's covered in molasses, constantly waiting for you to take a step and sink into it.[...] incredibly slow and cumbersome.[...] slow as shit. [...] really isn't worth the tedium [...] nothing but a frustrating hindrance [...]Surely I'm not the only one frustrated [...] how fucked the design seems to be.[...] It's a shame,[...]who fucking cares just let me die so this can end [...] certainly an example of how to implement that concept badly.[...] it rapidly gets worse.

Sounds to me like a perfectly accurate adaptation of the source material.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I've been playing Incursion lately, and wow, the further I get into the game the more it's really, really annoying me.

I'm not even talking about the bugs. Just the design decisions. The dungeon is full of monsters, a good half of which are non-hostile to me, and they're constantly fighting amongst themselves. That's never really been a feature I've been too excited by (though I've seen other people piss themselves with delight over it in other games - maybe it's a genre thing), but here it absolutely doesn't work. I don't want to constantly be interrupted by having to press through a slew of messages about grid bugs fighting with each other, or the air genasi warrior fighting a halfling barbarian. And the neutrals are nearly as bad. If I want to travel anywhere I'm constantly slowed down by 'Confirm attack the frost slug?'. And when you start running into shit like hordes of white worm masses you'll want to pull your hair out. Oh, and speaking of that, which genius decided that having multiple creatures on one tile was a needed thing in roguelikes? Because if you ever need to see an example of how badly that shit can go, I invite you to play Incursion. If it isn't 50 gremlins on a single tile, it's having to constantly make 6 keypresses just to attack an enemy who is sharing a tile with a neutral guy. Christ.

The whole game feels like it's covered in molasses, constantly waiting for you to take a step and sink into it. The UI is incredibly slow and cumbersome. You have a limited number of slots on your belt to hold potions, wands, etc, with the idea being that you can access these tools quickly but to take ones out of your pack takes much longer. A good idea in theory, but in practice you're very likely to have your healing potions, dimension door (think Blink from Nethack/Angband), and arrows on three slots, leaving just two to play with. The end result is much less options being utilised in combat - I keep finding wands or scrolls or potions that sound kind of cool, but I have to just dump them because I've already used up all my quick item slots and in a desperate situation it's much safer to just teleport away than fumble around in my backpack trying to reach a Dispel wand that MIGHT work.

And don't even get me started on the item redundancy (why do I have potions and scrolls that do exactly the same thing? What benefit is gained by having four different types of currency, all of which are found in such low quantities that I might be able to make one purchase per game that isn't food rations? And most importantly, why is my character automatically picking up holy symbols after every fucking cultist I kill? Because unless it's to make a bloodstained chain of them to wear around my neck as a trophy then I'm not interested in doing so).

But yeah, back to being slow as shit. There are torches dotted around the walls that serve, so far as I can tell, absolutely no purpose but to cause my stealthy characters to have their movement interrupted by 'Confirm enter the brightly-lit area? [yn]'. I can assure you, whatever deep tactical considerations are gained by this shit really isn't worth the tedium it creates. And speaking of tactics, I'm trying to avoid mentioning the bugs, given how well-known it is that the game isn't finished, but it could at least have the fucking decency to accurately label which feats are implemented and which aren't. In my last game I picked up both Whirlwind Attack and Spring Attack, neither of which worked correctly. Whirlwind Attack worked once before forever providing me with 'That feat isn't implemented yet!' messages, and Spring Attack constantly gave messages about not being able to leap that far, no matter how close the enemy I targeted was.

The alignment system is nothing but a frustrating hindrance - half the sapient enemies you fight will get frightened before you finish them off, and you have to offer them the opportunity to surrender to avoid losing alignment points and potentially pissing off your god. Aside from being more pointless keystrokes, this carries the very real danger that the enemy will in fact surrender, and if he does so without 'throwing all his gear at your feet as a tribute', you can kiss goodbye to whatever cool shit he had, because there's no good way to force him to part with it. Surely I'm not the only one frustrated by watching a shitty goblin run across a room, pick up a pair of magic boots, and then be unable to get the fucking things off the greedy little bastard without risking excommunication. Well, unable is technically a lie, as somewhere between all the myriad options of 'Break, Rub, Divide, Enlist, Smell, Inscribe', there actually is one for my character to say 'Mate, you're lucky I'm not genociding your entire race, now give me the loot before I chop your fucking feet off', but my god seems to take issue with that for some reason.

And again, I said I'd try to avoid mentioning the bugs, but I'll abandon that for a moment to point out that the above isn't even as bad as it gets regarding alignment/god issues. You can frighten monsters that qualify as sapient but can't talk, like (I think, this is off the top of my head here) elementals. Some of which regenerate. So you can be left in the ludicrous position of fighting an elemental until it's weak and frightened, and then it tries to flee. If you kill it at this point, your god gets pissed off, and you don't have the option of offering it surrender because it can't talk. But within four or five turns the thing will regenerate enough hitpoints to get over its fear, turn around, and START BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF YOU AGAIN. So you hit it back, weaken it, probably frighten it again... this can repeat for a depressingly long time. And just taking the alignment hits isn't an obvious choice to make, because there are so many fucking neutral monsters that you're likely to be low on alignment points anyway from things like accidental splash damage, arrows missing your target and hitting some oblivious fucker behind him, wands, etc etc. The scary part is I don't even know if that elemental thing would be considered a bug, that's how fucked the design seems to be.

I'm currently a level 5 Ranger/3 Rogue dicking around on level 6 or so, which isn't the furthest I've been but it's not bad. I recently found a group of five adventurers, three of whom were hostile to me, two of whom weren't and were busy constantly filling my log with displacement messages. Attacking the three who were hostile to me, I killed one before another one disarmed me of one of my two weapons, whereupon one of the neutral adventurers immediately picked it up. After escaping to regroup, I came back and offered to buy my rapier back from the guy who'd picked it up, but he's now wielding it which seems to mean the only way I can get it back is if I attack him, which I can't afford to do because I'm currently only 'Nominally Good' after accidentally killing a frightened air elemental.

It's a shame, because there's almost a half-decent game behind all the shit. Julian Mensch did a surprisingly good job adapting the D&D rules into a roguelike, which makes it so much more baffling that he introduced new issues that have nothing to do with either D&D or roguelikes! I can't think of any other games I've played where dungeons are chock-a-block with neutral adventurers that dart between your feet picking up the loot of everything you kill, and neither do I recall it being an issue in actual D&D. And equally strange is that rather than take full advantage of D&D's tradition of varied encounters and enemies so much of the creature list seems to be 'That earlier creature, but with buffed stats!'. I've gone from fighting monitor lizards, kobolds, sauhaugin and elven priests on D1 to fighting gaseous lizards, elite kobolds, skilled sauhaugin and who fucking cares just let me die so this can end elf priests on D:5 and D:6. I saw an Umber Hulk earlier and I was so fucking appreciative to be fighting something new that I was actually reluctant to kill it. I wanted to shoo it off into a quiet corner to make babies somewhere, so that future adventurers after me would have more enemy variety to enjoy.

It's not terrible by any means. There are good moments, and I'm having enough fun that I'll finish off this character at the very least. But I can't help but feel as if I'm not playing a game at all so much as I'm some weird avatar in Julian Mensch's dungeon ecology simulator. For all the waxing lyrical about 'the world shouldn't revolve around the player' and how great it is that there's a wider world and yadda yadda yadda, Incursion is certainly an example of how to implement that concept badly. I don't want a billion neutral monsters cluttering up the dungeon, I don't want to find better gear by walking into a room I've been in fifty times before and to see a bunch of corpses because some random monster killed some adventurers there while I was asleep. I want my progress to be decided by my own decisions, not by random chance or the simulated actions of neutral parties. Basically, I want to be the hero. Perhaps it's more realistic the way it is, but let's be honest with ourselves: who's playing games because of how similar to real life they are? Twats, that's who.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a review so much of a rant but still, in summary: the first couple of levels are actually pretty fun, but it rapidly gets worse. If you're still interested, play Sil, you'd be much better off.

This is a pretty long post for a game that was intended as nothing more than a tech demo for a game that was never released

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Incursion was my first roguelike Covenant so I never analized it or thought about it in such way but you are right I think.
And yes - pick normal god, not your current pussygod.

a game that was intended as nothing more than a tech demo for a game that was never released

Looks like tech demos back in the days were bigger and had more features then modern full roguelikes... probably lost technologies of the precursors...

Covenant

Savant
So far as I can tell most of the gods in the game are pussy gods. Here's a quick summary of the gods, based on this. I marked the ones that restrict your slaughtering with a *. As a sidenote, killing fleeing enemies is 'unlawful', so 'Must be Lawful/dislikes unlawful acts' is as much of a fuck you as 'Must be Good/dislikes evil acts'.

*Aiswin: Dislikes attacking non-hostiles, using 'Light' spells/items. Gives stealth-related bonuses, occasionally IDs your shit.
Asherath: Dislikes using unidentified things, resting without gaining experience. Gain favour on level-up, gives bonuses to damage, intelligence and strength.
*Ekliazeh: Dislikes unlawful acts/attacking non-hostiles (unless they are enemies of dwarves), bonuses to armour and constitution.
*Erich: Must be Lawful. Dislikes stealth, non-Lawful acts, attacking fleeing enemies, and gives magical equipment and riding-related bonuses.
*Essiah: Must be Good. Dislikes evil acts, gives free movement and speed-related bonuses.
*Hesani: Must be Good. Pacifist god, dislikes killing at all. Boosts spellcasitng.
Immotian: Must be Lawful. Dislikes you killing flame-related enemies, or causing/becoming diseased. Gives flame resistance and magic resistance.
Khasrach: Dislikes player being afraid, and killing orcs. Grants strength, orc allies, and a few other nice things later on.
*Kysul: Must be non-Evil. Dislikes evil acts and you killing non-evil aberrations, hostile or otherwise. Bonuses to intelligence, wisdom, and knowledge skills.
Maeve: Likes killing Drow. Dislikes not killing drow, and unchaotic acts. Bonuses to dexterity and charisma, and discord/charm type spells. Acts like Xom from Crawl.
*Mara: Must be non-Evil. Dislikes evil acts, causing fear. Bonuses to necromancy and saves vs death.
The Multitude: Must be Evil. Dislikes good acts and using magical healing. Gives demon allies and random spell-like abilities.
Sabine: Dislikes being cautious, relying on aid from allies, or being unchaotic. Bonuses to athletic and related skills (climb, swim, etc), and gives lightning bolt and polymorph self spells.
*Semirath: Must be Good. Dislikes evil acts, killing non-evil sapients. Bonuses to intelligence, dexterity, and rogue skills like perform, bluff, etc. Dimension door at level 5 favour.
*Xavias: Int + Wis must be 26 or more. Dislikes evil acts. Bonuses to decipher script, use magic, and craft. Also gives Nondetection, Rope Trick, and (eventually) True Sight.
Xel: Must be non-Good. Dislikes nothing. Requires one live sacrifice per day. Miscellaneous bonuses, notably Improved Critical at 5 and non-hostility to plants at 6.
Zurvash: Must be Evil and non-Lawful. Dislikes sparing enemies, showing restraint. Bonuses to constitution, dexterity, and regeneration. Sometimes makes you berserk.

Leaving just Asherath, Immotion, Khasrach, Maeve, The Multitude, Sabine, Xel and Zurvash. Immotian's fire-related enemy bullshit seems like as much of a pain in the ass as any other attack restriction, if slightly less common. And attacking fleeing enemies will put and end to you being lawful, so he's still crappy. Neither Maeve's nor Sabine's bonuses seem especially attractive, though they are at least unrestrictive. Xel and Zurvash seem okay. The Multitude could potentially be good if you get a good mix of abilities, though the moratorium on magical healing will certainly sting. And Khasrach is cool, but there's enough shit that wails and makes you afraid that I'd feel like I have to take the Lionheart feat, and at that point the scales seem to tip into not being worth it. Overall, I probably should have gone for Asherath. More damage is always great and the conducts are easy enough to uphold.

Also I'm amazed anyone even read that huge post I made, I was mainly just venting my spleen. Roguelike players are, as ever, a classy bunch of gents.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I read this far:
I've been playing Incursion lately, and wow, the further I get into the game the more it's really, really annoying me.

I'm not even talking about the bugs. Just the design decisions.

Before realizing that it was fairly pointless. (Because nothing was really so much a design decision, as a just a way to prototype the game)

If you read up on what the game was supposed to be, you may cry yourself to sleep at the thought of what could have been.

I cant play incursion myself, since as im saying, it wasnt really made to played seriously, but it damn well allows for some of the coolest shit ive seen in a game so far

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fear is a non issue if you start as a fighter, as they all start with a ring of fear immunity. Khasrach is pretty legit. Sabine's bonuses are actually pretty nice, and is easy to gain favour with since there are so many possible triggers (berserk, slaying in one hit, sneak attacks, lightning damage, ancestral trance) I used him a ton, great for lizardfolk, which are an awesome race anyways. Zurvash is great for berserkers obviously. Also, 'Dislikes evil acts' isn't much of a restriction iirc, basically that only covers attacking neutral or allied characters. Pretty sure you can freely backstab hostiles. Most of the gods tolerate a fair bit of conduct breaking as well, it's not like other games where they start smiting you on the first mistake. Though I never cared much for stealth in Incursion, too many enemies and areas than void it, you need a ton of magic gear to make it work well.

Try rolling up a lizardfolk berserker and worshipping Sabine. Fun times.

Covenant

Savant
Also, 'Dislikes evil acts' isn't much of a restriction iirc, basically that only covers attacking neutral or allied characters.
But then we're back to what I was talking about in my fuck-huge post. Essiah didn't have a problem with me backstabbing hostiles, the issues came up with fleeing enemies and neutral ones stealing my hard-earned shit from the still-warm bodies of my enemies.

Most of the gods tolerate a fair bit of conduct breaking as well, it's not like other games where they start smiting you on the first mistake.
I've already been excommunicated once for firing an arrow and killing some neutral formian or whatever that was innocently lurking in the shadows directly behind the line of four goblins who'd all been throwing shit at me. Obviously I'd done other stuff before that, but at the very least I was trying to stick to my conducts.

Try rolling up a lizardfolk berserker and worshipping Sabine. Fun times.
I'll try this on my next character if I make another one. I tend to prefer stealthy characters, but perhaps going loud and proud would speed things up a little.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
DgML4yAV4AIgnbj.jpg:large

Damned Registrations

I seem to recall bouncing off Sil pretty quickly, but I can't recall why. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Damned Registrations

Feeling reasonably confident, smashing shit with great axe with stronk dorf in heavy armour... spider hatchling bites me for 10 poison and 7 bleed damage. LOL fuck this game.

Covenant

Savant
Yeah, Sil is nice but suffers from excessive vulnerability to RNG.

The way I look at it, roguelikes have two main ways of balancing themselves. The first is that game balances itself around important consumables (such as potions of curing, heal wounds, and scrolls of blink in DC:SS), expecting you to use those limited resources only when absolutely needed, so that when you get to an overly difficult spot they can get you through it, and that if you are inefficient you will overuse them, run out, and die. There are problems with this - firstly, the amount of resources available can itself vary wildly from game to game, countering its effect as an RNG 'smoother'. Secondly, they're prone to being misused by players through no faults of their own - the player has no idea whether resources will become more or less common later on and may therefore use them too liberally or, more likely, hoard them because they 'might REALLY need them later'. The latter effect is compounded by the fact that these games tend to always give you far more of the 'limited' resources than you're likely to ever need. Much more rarely, and at the other end of the scale, you might get resources that are near-vital, but just don't show up. Think oldschool Ironman Angband with rPara or rPois.

Examples of this are DC:SS, ADOM, Fey's Final Puzzle in Shiren (the first one, I didn't play any of the others), and to a lesser extent DoomRL (medkits, phase devices, mods).

The second way of balancing is to have no (or minor) limited resources, and focus balancing on the player's build, gear, and combat tactics. You're given certain tools that cannot be exhausted (think Wild infusions in ToME) and expected to maintain a certain standard of offence, defence, and utility, with enough redundancy built in that no single encounter should be able to kill you if you're playing optimally. This has the advantage that players are guaranteed a certain amount of 'resources' available to them, but it also somewhat places a hard limit on the amount of 'bad luck' that can be survived. In Stone Soup, for example, should bad luck (or, admittedly, misplay - a flaw of this kind of balancing is that one lever works on both those systems) place me in an extremely, horrendously fucked up situation, it's very likely that I could still escape it by burning three scrolls of blinking, for example. A large investment, but obviously there's no price not worth paying to avoid death in a roguelike. In ToME, there is no 'reserve fund' I can burn up to ameliorate the effects of bad luck. If my teleport rune lands me next to a unique even more terrifying than the one I just teleported away from, and my phase door rune picks the one target square that isn't out of the room, there is probably nothing I can do. And the likelihood of this happening increases the longer the game goes on. To reduce the chances of this all you can do is give the player more slots, more tools, make him comparatively stronger than the monsters around him, until the majority of the game is a cakewalk aside from a few rare bumps in difficulty. It's impossible to balance it to the degree that 'bad luck' is accounted for without making the player overpowered; it's literally a zero-sum game between easiness and vulnerability to the RNG. Given how most game developers want to avoid the headaches of players whining about unavoidable deaths, they tend to lean towards the former, making most of these games things that anyone who hasn't suffered brain damage can win so long as they're paying attention. And if they go the other way? Then you DO have unavoidable deaths, which obviously don't feel good for anyone, particularly in this genre.

Examples of this are ToME, and lots of 'one life arena/survival' stye games that are typically more encountered as unlockable modes of other games.

Sil is an odd one, because it's definitely in the first camp of games, yet it still has the drawbacks of the second one. I've lost characters on Sil to being one-shot, from full HP, by one of the orc uniques (Orcthobal? They've all got retarded names). I had a respectable CON, plenty of healing potions, my character was well-equipped and I was playing great - I simply got the minimum roll on my protection and he got the maximum roll for his damage. It felt a little bit like those old Lone Wolf adventure game books, where you had to avoid rolling 0 at several points along the way or else you'd inescapably die. I'm not salty - I went on to beat Sil, even managing a win with an Edain (not a three Sil win, admittedly) - but I do think it's poor game design. And somewhat baffling considering how well Sil handles its general anti-scumming mechanics. You have a limited amount of turns to play with, everything has a cost, and there's great risk/reward with uniques and vaults and forging. But the combat is so swingy. Not to a ridiculous extent - it's not Battle for Wesnoth or anything - but it's still too much. It's particularly telling that this is an issue when you get to the late stages of the game with a high Dex build and finally max out Evasion, because by that point, most creatures literally cannot hit you. Even if they roll 20 and you roll 1, you're still safe, and the game becomes largely trivial. Just remember to quaff buff potions before you fight the real toughies. But it's not a smooth curve with the difficulty lessening as you get into the teens - it's more like a breakpoint. Because due to the numbers chosen (for things like damage, HP, armor protection values) all it's likely to take is a very small number of unlucky rolls in a row to kill you, and your ten potions of Healing in your backpack are suddenly entirely irrelevant.

In general I think Sil's very well-designed - whenever the CRPG Addict starts talking about 'tight' gameplay it's what springs to mind for me - but I think that it could benefit immeasurably from cutting down on its variability.

(Also other people post some stuff now please, because I've been playing Tangledeep and really want to bitch about it but this is already too fucking long by far.)

Damned Registrations

The main problem with Sil is just the basic combat mechanics of opposed D20 rolls. Thats an insane swing factor. On about 1 in 100 attacks, you'll roll a 1-2 to evade while the enemy rolls a 19-20 to hit. Given the amount of combat in the game, this will happen a lot. To make things worse, winning the accuracy roll by some margin gives you bonus damage dice. So if you assume 1 in 100 attacks is going to crit you for 1 or even 2 extra damage dice, and maybe 1 in 20 of those is going to roll really well compared to your armor... yeah. Getting hit really fucking hard isn't something you can reliably avoid in Sil AFAICT. This daisy chains into a bunch of other problems I have with Sil, that basically revolve around the idea that you're not supposed to explore and conquer, you're supposed to stairscum and flee every time you encounter a challenge, even one you ought to win handily with good tactics. If most roguelikes are balanced around the player fleeing when they have a 5-10% chance of dying, Sil is balanced around the player fleeing when he has even a 0.1% chance of dying, because the reward for that risk is basically nothing compared to the reward for just walking into random rooms and picking shit off the floor.

Emmanuel2

Savant
If anyone's still interested in some Elona news. One of, if not the most, popular fork (as per tradition in roguelikes) in the japanese community has just received a translation patch, it's called Omake Overhaul. And, reading through the very lengthy patch changelog, IMHO it's shaping up to be a better fork of the game than Elona+.

Here is the reddit post for the instructions.

Personally, I was getting tired at how E+ was handling its balance and mechanics especially after 1.6x. It never added truly interesting apart from the artifact enhancing still of which I'm pretty sure 99% of people never got to see/touch or even know about. It's similar to SLASH'EM for Nethack where it's just a kitchen sink of ideas and just generally more content, not that more content is good but I wanted more to the content than just doubling or tripling your stats in order to tackle them. Though the exp, training, gearing, etc. got easier through time due to the author's changes, personally it felt the same but with just higher stats.

My stats at the end of Elona+ content last year were low-ish compared to alot of people along with 300 in martial arts since fists were kinda king. At this point of the game, your only option for efficient training would be the infinite dungeon in order to up your stats to kill the "minor" gods then move on to eventually killing that stat capped gods themselves. Essentially, I was capped out of content unless I put another hundred hours or so to kill the minor gods even though I already killed quite a number of them.

EDIT:

GhoJ4eI.png

After reading a bit more; seriously, look at the new feat list and tell me those aren't at the least significantly more interesting than E+'s.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't use saves from Elona+ right?

Any news about Elona are appreciated!
Especially informed opinions!

Hmmmm as I understood it is a fork on fork - omake is a fork, and this omake overhaul is a fork on it.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I can't use saves from Elona+ right?

Any news about Elona are appreciated!
Especially informed opinions!

Hmmmm as I understood it is a fork on fork - omake is a fork, and this omake overhaul is a fork on it.

From E+, no.

But IIRC, if you have a save from the 1.22 version of the official game then you can use that. And yes, Omake Overhaul is a fork of a fork just like SLASH'EM is to SLASH'EM Extended.

PrettyDeadman

Have anyone heard about Noxico -> http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Noxico
It seems to be some kind of sex-roguelike inspired by dwarf fortress in terms of mechanical deph and simulationist nature.

I've accidently stumbled upon it while reading the rules of roguelikes discord server, which specifically mentioned that it is FORBIDDEN to discuss this game.
The screens make it look legit (as in proper game, not just a weak effort meme-game).

What do you think?

Covenant

Savant
Have anyone heard about Noxico -> http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Noxico
It seems to be some kind of sex-roguelike inspired by dwarf fortress in terms of mechanical deph and simulationist nature.

I've accidently stumbled upon it while reading the rules of roguelikes discord server, which specifically mentioned that it is FORBIDDEN to discuss this game.
The screens make it look legit (as in proper game, not just a weak effort meme-game).

What do you think?

I haven't played it, but I'd imagine that the roguelikes discord server is salty about it because it won the roguelike of the year award a couple of times (because the creators advertised their game on /v/ or something like that). I recall everyone trying to act very pious about it, but there was a definite undercurrent of seething resentment.

Fuck them. The 'old guard' of the roguelike community is already too bloody incestuous, and I really don't think ToME was particularly disadvantaged for not winning that third year in a row.

PrettyDeadman

I've tried Noxico, and It DOES look barebones, except for character generation, I think.
Very strange. Need advice from someone who knows how to play it.

Tolias

Educated
For people interested in Incursion~

I hope you guys know that some dude fixed a ton of bugs and made a new release in 2016:

https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/downloads/

I sank a lot (150+) of hours in it and managed to win a bunch of times. I even wrote a specific guide on how to win, though I didn't finish the write up for late floors:

https://pastebin.com/SE0qu4bx

tl;dr Play a human Monk/Tattoo Mystic of Immotian (they get a ton of class skills, you need almost all of them) and punch everything to death with your poisonous fists. Get free summons from your god. Jump around and kick things. Profit.

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Hi guys, I have heard about game called Reactor 3...
Know anything about it?

Actually never heard about that one.

From the Github page:
I stopped working on this in 2014, but a successor is being privately developed using a new framework written in C. I will post on Reddit's roguelike or roguelikedev subforums eventually.

More infos:
https://github.com/flags/Reactor-3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom