Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Attn: Stabwound, extremely hardcore roguelike coming out! It's right up your alley:

:troll:

Kuhrazy

Educated
Wazhack is quality, though I really hope dev pace on it picks up again in earnest as it seemed to get bogged in the mire around the time it landed on Android/Misc Unity wranglings.

For another, far more under the radar option:

http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3

The dev pace on it is fairly alive.
I love Wazhack, it's the most modernized game that really feels like a roguelike, and the newest release (just a couple months old I think) doubles the number of classes and adds a lot of challenge. The author's apparent approach to balance seems to be: leave in all the broken stuff, add more broken stuff (my lvl7 Druid can shapeshift into a lvl12 Hellhound? Really?), then make the monster frequency and placement 10x more evil to compensate. It makes your character feel much more powerful than a safe and scientific approach would allow. Still have not ascended in the new release. Note that unlike Nethack it's designed to be played without spoilers (Nethack fudges this in the worst way).

I haven't tried ToMe yet, what's its niche? Like...

Nethack: complex interactions, puzzle solving

Dungeon Crawl: tactical combat, focus, balance

ADOM: scope (I'm less familiar with ADOM)

ToMe: ???

"Just play it you fag"

It's going to take like 8 hours of play just to form an opinion, just spoonfeed me ok. Promise I'll play eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damned Registrations

I'm not sure ToME has a niche, but it certainly takes all the right hints from other roguelikes. Has an overworld map with tons of extra dungeons, large build variety, stuff like auto explore and convenient loot management (no moving stashes around or fiddling with weight or shop prices). It has more or less limited resource generation (there's an infinite dungeon and adventurer parties, but both are deathtraps in the long run in my experience, they're more like a last resort if you need more loot/exp and no place to go). It also doesn't have the kind of potion/scroll spam invincibility most other roguelikes let you have. There aren't really any consumables, instead you get things that mimic the effect of potions and scrolls(healing, regen, mana restore, curing stats, haste, etc.) But you only get so many slots, and they all have cooldowns, so you have to choose whether you want to be able to restore your mana or teleport or cure confusion in a pinch- you won't have access to all three (unless you give up regeneration or specialized towards having a lot of slots, and even then, there's always more things to want, you can never have enough.)

It also has unlockable classes, which drives some people crazy. Though tbh I think it's a good idea, the number of options available would be overwhelming for a new player, even if they have lots of experience with other roguelikes.

Kuhrazy

Educated
Tentatively looks like somebody tried to make WoW-RL. How do you tell if a dungeon is at your level or not? Cuz I just wandered into one at random and got one-shotted.

subotaiy

Cipher
Check the log,it says in green font something like "You feel your heart beating in you chest, you step with dread in this place". Or the level of monsters, much easier. Is good to inspect what you fight for rares anyway.

Damned Registrations

Eh, I've never gotten too far in ADOM. I always try to save Khelly, so most of my runs end around level 12 when I'm doing the tower or darkforge instead of the water temple. The few times I got past that stage I died shortly after to random shit like being one shot by some weak monster going berserk and getting crits and shit, or being live-sacced while trying to do the obscenely difficult alignment gymnastics required for the full win.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shame. We currently have Deuce Traveler's ADOM mini-review, but he also didn't beat the game. :P

It's just a bit weird having a roguelike on our prestigious Top RPG list without a review by someone who beat it or at least played extensively.

Damned Registrations

I'm sure someone here has beaten it, but you'd have to crawl through the ADOM thread specifically to find out who. Just look for whoever is telling everyone how easy it is to win :p

Damned Registrations

I assume you mean kill them from full hp in one turn?

I don't think there are, since there's no way to be sure how strong the player will be at any given point in the game. If you get to the end at level 1 with 10 hp, of course shit can one shot you.

As far as ones where regaining health is difficult... Incursion leans in that direction. There are healing potions, but they aren't super common. You need to sleep to heal for most characters, and sleeping isn't generally safe (and I don't mean 'you wake up and find some wolves' unsafe, I mean 'you got your throat cut in your sleep' unsafe. Mind you, a lot of gods are pretty generous with their healing. Pretty much everything else lets you heal by just twiddling your thumbs for a while. ADOM has shitty health regen by default, but the healing skill that everyone can get fixes that.

DoomRL I suppose? There's no health regen, you have to find either medkits or healing globes to heal up generally. On easy difficulties there's more than enough, but on harder difficulties it's a real struggle.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
No tiles in Incursion. Fighting ineffectual waves with the occasional game resetting surprise is no fun. Know any short in real time but still complicated RLs?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shame. We currently have Deuce Traveler's ADOM mini-review, but he also didn't beat the game. :P

It's just a bit weird having a roguelike on our prestigious Top RPG list without a review by someone who beat it or at least played extensively.

:oops: I promise I'll get around to beating it. Doesn't help you now, though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't worry - we'd need a second review anyway ;) Currently all games on the list have at least 2 mini-reviews, the only exceptions being Divinity II and ADOM...

tindrli

Arcane
sorry bro, english is not my native, what did you mean " what's it got going for it?"
if you meant is it worth 5 $, i said yes but thats just me. anyway quick overview
Its turn based, You must eat and drink, you have 4 stats, STR, witch modifies medium and heavy weapons, DEX same but for small and ranged, STA for hitpoints and CHA for magic. Money is necessary for rest in inn and to identify equipment, cure diseases break curses and repair & enhance equipment and its painfull to find it. the merchants in store or the ones that you encounter in dungeons wont buy equipment that are not identified and prepare to spend 20 gold to identify something that later is like 8 gold worth.
You will die, and die a lot, from traps (you can jump over them), hunger, creatures, equipping cursed stuff and everything else. Every 3 levels you get an opportunity to learn talent that you must find. for example if you find a training dummie you can learn one of the 4 melee, while fireplace enables you to learn one of four other talents water well other 4 and so one.. you can check list here
http://rogue.epixx.org/talents.html

Screen0003.jpg

anyway if you like roguelike you should enjoy this one

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it is. I still consider ToME the best roguelike at the moment. As a bonus, the developer keeps improving the graphics, and significantly so.

Plus, I find it to be much harder than some versions ago. Some people complained that it was too easy.
Well... I definitely die more often now than I did some months ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom