Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex's official opinion on Temple of Elemental Evil?

Do you like ToEE?

• Yes

Votes: 81 55.9%
  • It's good for what it is

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I haven't played it

Votes: 19 13.1%

• Total voters

PorkaMorka

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Hell, for all I know this joke of a site doesn't even know of Jukka's guide's existence.

Good guide and worthy of a re-read every now and then.

But it really illustrates the problem with Infinity Engine D&D games, when he goes through a calculation to illustrate that a +0 dagger with heavy buffs does more damage than the best weapon in the game with only moderate buffs.

And the whole guide is based on having tons and tons of buffs running every combat.

Essentially the only limit on your ability to trivialize the game by buffing is your patience; are you willing to click 10+ buffs in the clunky IE interface before every battle or not?

That's awful gameplay, something that was thankfully fixed in KoTC.

cremo

Novice
Relay said:
ToEE had the best D&D combat implementation but the worst dungeon and encounters. Had, say, Baldur's Gate 2 used this engine instead of Infinity it would have bumped it from the "good RPG" side to "stellar RPG". Unfortunately all we got was ToEE and it sucked hard.

Good engine, shitty game.

I totally agree on the fact that bg trilogy story + ToEE engine, would have made probably one of the best CRPG ever.. yet I think you are beeing to Harsh on ToEE per se.. which still is plenty enjoyable if taken with an hack&slash spirit.. Yet with Co8 Patches the game improves a lot (still not like BG tough sadly.. i miss all that bg1 wilderness i got to explore without it being necessary for the completition of the game.. gave me a sense of great freedom).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, the first time a giant frog swallowed a PC, I nearly dropped from my chair. Was like back in Ultima Underworld where monsters could surprise you in many ways.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Wasn't there this VoreRPG somewhere on the net? Has anybody played that by chance?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darth Roxor said:
Krondor combat is mostly a lot lesser in scale than other things you could think about, but its tactical depth is amazing. You encounter four moredhels. One is a mage. One has a poisoned crossbow (and poison is a BITCH). The two others go for your sole mage at once, blocking him from casting. Now comes the question... who the fuck should you target? The mage, who can do various raping things to you, the crossbowman who can make a single party member useless or the two warriors, so you can unleash powerful spells? And if you can finally cast again, what do you cast? One single powerful spell that will drain you dry and cause one hit to kill you or a few others that might not be as effective?

Some monsters like Rusalki or shades also require approaching with great care. In some encounters, you can even maneuver the battlefield to lure enemies into some of the traps that pop up here and there.

And generally, the fact that you have only three characters (sometimes even two) makes EVERY decision absolutely vital.
Heh, never thought that combat in krondor was hard, especially because of despair thy eyes and limited numbers of opponents. I confess i grinded, exploring the whole map each chapter does that (but is rewarding in terms of plot).

circ

Arcane
Krondor was tough as shit. Because I took the long way to the castle something I was supposed to start at. It got super easy after that. Well, easier anyway.

qliveur

Educated
While I was impressed by the engine mechanics and graphics, I just couldn't get past the sheer stupidity of the game itself. What a waste.

halasterbc

Novice
Nobody mentioned TOEE's awesome crafting system.

IMHO TOEE is a game lacking a lot of content built in one of the best game engines i've ever played, if not the best (considering the pathfinding can be fixed and custom key system improved, with more convenient options)

halasterbc

Novice
laclongquan said:
While I play some games due to Codex discussion, I never find the urge to do so with TOEE. And that's what decide me not to do so in future. TOEE sound not worth a torrent.

Although TOEE could be a much better game, it's a must play if you're into d&d and/or turn-based rpg.

Norfleet

TOEE was one of the best D&D 3E engines ever made. Pity about the game.

Deakul

Augur
Sorry for the bump but I just got this game with the D&D Anthology and installed the Circle of 8 mod right away since everyone seems to say that the game is dogshit without it.

I have one gripe that I hope can be remedied... the fucking path finding.
I select my entire group and just want them to go the next room over, 95% of the time it only sends 1 or 2 party members and then they end up getting stuck in the doors or just stopping entirely.

Is this an issue with the mod or game itself? Or is it just me?

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Like in the IE games, this was never fixed and probably never will. It sucks, but the game is still playable even with this problem.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Never had much of an issue with the pathfinding. The save-states being frail, delicate flowers was the biggest issue for me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Takes a special level of incompetence to fuck up something as simple as a computer adaptation of a classic D&D module. Still, it's a p. decent game, if only for the combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom