Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex's official opinion on Temple of Elemental Evil?

Do you like ToEE?

• Yes

Votes: 81 55.9%
  • It's good for what it is

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I haven't played it

Votes: 19 13.1%

• Total voters

laclongquan

Arcane
I dunno~ Isnt everybody complaining about the starting quests/area? And isn the combat system get lukewarm recommend?

Untermensch

Augur
Despite being rushed I had a lot of fun with it. The combat is just fantastic.
I want ToEE official modding tools?
PLEASE

kaizoku

Arcane
Unplayable "game" unfortunately. Hommlet is just brain numbing experience. Reminds me why I could never get into JRPGs, since those were always filled with towns upon towns that you couldn't really skip and had to go trough endless pages of inane and juvenile storyline in text form while clicking on big-eyed pixelated "characters" hoping the game would JUST m-o-v-e ON! That's what I had a flashback to when I entered Hommlet for the first time, a shitty JRPG. Not a good sign.

Visit Tavern; Talk to people; Find out about Moathouse.

Is this really that difficult and time consuming?

Everybody here knows they don't have to plumb every XP point from the town?
Even better:

co8 has implemented a quest to replace boring Hommlet fedex. A quite entertaining one too.
Talk to the smithy, ask about something different (IIRC), and he'll send you to talk to the chief guard. The chief guard will give you a quest to find and kill a crazy necromancer.
After you finish it, then head off to the moathouse.

.Pixote.

Augur
The game needed another year, the bugs in this game are mind numbing, it fucking crashes left, right and center. I spent 3 hours just clearing the Water Elemental Node, I couldn't fight more than a few minutes before the game fucked up. I blame Atari for this and not Troika, the publisher obviously just ripped an unfinished game from their hands and threw it into the market place.

These stupid publishers don't invest the time and money in a developer who potentially could have made a masterpiece. I worked for an Atari game studio for a short while and I know how retarded that organization is - the studio boss (scumbag) was a big coke head, that gained favoritism with the big wigs in New York, because they were also big coke heads (allegedly), anyway as soon as you lose a buck your out on your arse, (lots of coke requires lots of money).

Back to the game - another 3 or 4 towns, and a more interesting temple would have cemented TOEE as one of the best. Atari wouldn't even allow Troika to release a patch to fix the bugs, and people wonder why the game didn't sell particularly well.

joeydohn

Savant
Atari wouldn't even allow Troika to release a patch to fix the bugs, and people wonder why the game didn't sell particularly well.

Clearly it's all because of the pirates once again!

I don't think you can absolve Troika (as wonderful as their games were) as they didn't have a great record with polish on their games. Have you tried the Co8 mod? That seems to fix a lot of bugs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I kinda like it. I completed it when it was new and loved it. I tried playing it again a few times since then but always got bored half way. I love combat like that but it just got too repetitive for me. I never liked the start of the game in that town with those quests, but beyond that it was fun. I will probably not play it again though. I'd rather play MOTB, DoS, Blackguards, BG2, Icewind 1 and 2, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom