Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Dark Knight derps: Telltale's QTE Interactive Batman Movie

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just could not get into TWD 1 game. Played it about half way and just quit. I even LIKE TWD setting but meh. The QTE crap just turned me off. I like to actually use my BRIAN when playing Adventure games, not memorize some console buttans to press.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah seems like their peak qte game is going to be The Wolf Among Us, it's a shame they didn't continue working on another season of it and even if they started right now telltale might just be a bit too far gone to make it as good as the first season.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Making games as interactive movies with QTE's is easy to design, and that's why they crank these out by the truckload. And the general public sadly still comes in droves and buys these. And sadly that is how the Market is going to stay for a while with Telltale games... ugh.

I am honestly surprised the General Public has not gotten bored of this mechanic yet. In time it will, but they will continue to ride this gravy train.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am honestly surprised the General Public has not gotten bored of this mechanic yet. In time it will, but they will continue to ride this gravy train.

General Public, despite his rank, is not a learning animal.

It was inevitable that a gaming gimmick would be exploited over and over again to the point of killing the market, but even I'm surprised by how quickly QTE-based "adventure games" are dropping...even though there's only one company making them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And they continue to corner (and are profitable).

If they weren't, they would not be making them.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I like the telltale stuff and I'll definitely be getting this, once the full season's out. Mostly because I'm hoping this'll be more of a detective story than anything else. Batman is supposed to be the 'World's greatest detective' after all.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Interactive movies/cyoa's with a semblance of c&c. That's all I expect. After TWD Season 1 (which actually had some puzzles and a good story) and Wolf (which I genuinly enjoyed and which at least tried to have different outcomes and detective puzzles) the formula however turned stale for me. Still, if the story is good enough I might give it a try at one point or another.

80s Stallone

Arcane
It's pretty much modern 101 cliché Batman* where you push some buttons. Dialogue is awful at times. Feels like a weak Nolan imitation.

Thinking about refunding!

*= yeah, there is Harvey Dent, Falcone, Vicki Vale, Jack Ryder, and Alfred bitches around... Annoying, bring back old school Batman.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thought this would be closer to BTAS. Won't even bother watching on YouTube.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I lied, I watched the first two episodes. Obviously lacking in anything resembling gameplay like all Telltale tripe; there's also some pretty awful writing and odd dramatic license with Batman mythos. Thomas Wayne was apparently utterly corrupt and helped run the city with mob boss Falcone. The Penguin, for whatever reason, is not an awkward/overweight mogul but a slim GQ looking Euro-fag with hipster gang members complete with swooping feauxhawk hairdos. Dent gets his face messed up by Penguin smashing a stage light on it... or doesn't if you opt to save him. Catwoman is basically catwoman and knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne.

This is the Penguin:

oswald-cobblepot-in-batman-the-telltale-series-episode-1.jpeg

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I lied, I watched the first two episodes. Obviously lacking in anything resembling gameplay like all Telltale tripe; there's also some pretty awful writing and odd dramatic license with Batman mythos. Thomas Wayne was apparently utterly corrupt and helped run the city with mob boss Falcone. The Penguin, for whatever reason, is not an awkward/overweight mogul but a slim GQ looking Euro-fag with hipster gang members complete with swooping feauxhawk hairdos. Dent gets his face messed up by Penguin smashing a stage light on it... or doesn't if you opt to save him. Catwoman is basically catwoman and knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne.

Ah, telltale sharking at one of few interesting IPs DC has..

batman-exploding-shark-o.gif

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, I am about halfway through it (halfway through episode 3), and I have to say it's still fairly enjoyable. Once again, know what to expect and things can get better. People should stop acting shocked at Telltale not having actual puzzles in their games.

As for the rest ? Well, it's Batman alright. The storyline is pretty good though unsurprising (Like you totally do not expect Harvey Dent to go insane, wow.). It's no Tales from the Borderlands (still the best Telltale game since TWD season 1), but if you like Batman and can get this one game cheap, you could enjoy the ride.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are all episodes out? I am waiting for all of them so I can Arrr the whole thing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So ... I played the free episode 1 a few days ago, got hooked, and bought the full season. I love all the twists and variations they play on the old cast of characters. Despite the old framework, this really is a new story. I actually wish it was slower in places, to let me better come to grips with a new idea before moving on to the next - but I guess the pacing is pretty good.

If you hate all these post-TWD games as a matter of principle, well, this still is one. If you can accept that some are better than others, I'd say this one rates pretty high.
love.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom