Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The Dark Lord Beholder (formerly Eye of the Beholder 4)

neilsouth

Augur
000000000000000.png

I was just about to finish for the day with so much writing already done, when an eye opening picture appeared in our Dungeon Crawlers Facebook group. That picture showed the words ' Eye of the Beholder 4 ', and according to the site where it came from. Eye of the Beholder 4 is the next episode of the classic masterpiece series by a fan based developer, taking place 100 years after the Assault of the Myth Drannor and 300 years after the death of Xanathar the great beholder! -

http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/02/eye-of-beholder-4-fan-sequel-to.html

I was going to put Incline, but this is a serious Decline

So it certainly looks impressive from my stand point, but there is a big concern over this Eye of the Beholder 4 sequel and it was also brought up in our very own Facebook group by Stig, and that was this; " Unless the people making this have secured the legal rights to use the Forgotten Realms setting, this project will be very very short lived "

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nope, and EOB>>>>that new one... I forgot its name... the one who makes kids think they're "hardcore" because they're playing an "oldschool" game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: it's incredible how this vapourware managed to bring out all the edgelords. Oh well, there's not much to talk about the actual topic anyway.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
on the other hand, blobbers suck
Possibly because there's actual game playing in them and not only teleporting from conversation to conversation.

ya killing the same shit over and over again is such a game man such a game grinding xp killing trash mobs soooo fun

shouldn't you be bitching about the new torment? or have you found some other hobby besides being a human tampon

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
This dumbfuck doesn't even know that "grinding" was never part of original EOB. Exploration and puzzle solving - of course. "Grinding" - you are shitting me, nigga.
These yugoloths from EOB2, though, are :M. But I always considered it as just preparation for importing to EOB3 .

---

Arcane
Nope, and EOB>>>>that new one... I forgot its name... the one who makes kids think they're "hardcore" because they're playing an "oldschool" game.

Do you mean Grimrock? It's such a beautiful game, why are you complaining about?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The MOMENT I saw the screenshot I knew this was the work of Takis76.

This has been in development since sometime around 2008, probably earlier. As everyone can see, it uses stolen assets (some of which has been altered) and is a grand example of vaporware.

It's still gonna get released before Grimoire, though.

Aweigh is like Crooked Bee and all of the jrpg posse: really enthusiasts of the original hardcore blobbers.
Personally, I'm more of a storyfag and prefer the Bradley Wizardries or the Might and Magics. But I can understand the appeal of the original no holds barred blobbers: stats, dark zones, wire frame graphics, mapping, no story, anti magic zones (...).

duchU

Educated
Naming your game "Eye of the Beholder 4" and calling it a sequel is rather a bad idea considering EoB3 is REALLY
shit game.

Old Hans

Arcane
that screenshot looks like ass. It's like someone just grabbed a bunch of random things off the internet, opened up GIMP and made a pretend UI that still sucks

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Woe upon project and woe upon people throwing shit at someone, who is bigger blobber maniac than rest of these retards combined when it comes to cRPGs in general.
Codex hypocrisy at finest.

Must be lack of progress cause C&D usually come when it's "almost ready" state (beta phase and that jazz).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
to be fair to myself <3 you guys do know that wizardry didn't introduce mouse-controls until wiz 7 correct? there are a few later releases of wiz 6 that came with buggy mouse controls. after playing through a ton of blobbers i don't think mouse-controls add absolutely anything to the experience.

i believe the most efficient way to have blobber navigation is to use step-grid movement and instead of mouse-look for pixel-hunting to utilize a "Search" key that searches either the a) tile the party is standing on, or b) the direction the party is facing. it accomplishes the same thing as utilizing the mouse for pixel-hunting inside a tile.

as for my comments with w7 that was with w7 gold and for whatever reason WASD didn't work; only the arrow keys did. It was actually precisely because of that gaming moment that i sought out and discovered the amazing software that is AutoHotkey so I could remap the arrow keys to WASD.

Of course I haven't finished w7 because I found it boring and while I don't particularly enjoy D.W. Bradley's perversions of the Wizardry formula. That said I will still play it and finish it eventually as even a "Bradley-ified" wizardry game is still head and shoulders a better RPG tan 99.5% of all other available RPGs.

and yes I do have wrist problems (like probably the majority of the posters here) and i prefer to play keyboard based games that don't have a needless and unnecessary use for the mouse (such as pixel-hunting). I make some exceptions of course when the game itself is designed around mouse use such as a Fallout game, for example, but there is absolutely no reason why a traditional step-grid tile-based blobber needs mouse-look.

even non-turn based blobbers such as EotB can and should simply utilize hotkeys for activating a party member's primary attack. I've heard a very silly argument before that doing that would eliminate a big part of the challenge and fun of the games combat, so i simply ask you this, non-turn based blobber lovers:

...is waiting for a cool-down bar to fill up and mousing over to the sword icon and clicking it REAAAAAAALLY that much different than waiting for a cool-down bar to fill up and moving your finger over to a hotkey and tapping it?

i am 100% pro-PC master race but mouse-controls should not necessarily be the default answer. the more blobbers i play the more i realize that a good, solid keyboard is all a game really needs.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
that screenshot looks like ass. It's like someone just grabbed a bunch of random things off the internet, opened up GIMP and made a pretend UI that still sucks

Paintbrush, more likely.

I don't know, in this kind of games, what matters is not how it looks.

And if it never goes commercial/crowdfunded, and not published in big channels, I don't think they'll run into legal issues.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
i am 100% pro-PC master race but mouse-controls should not necessarily be the default answer. the more blobbers i play the more i realize that a good, solid keyboard is all a game really needs.
First EoB could be played with keyboard. And guess what? There is a hilarious exploit. Fill your inventory with magic darts, daggers and other shit and fling it instantly with T key. Fusillade of Death.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom