Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

toroid

Arcane
NPCs move around and/or their dialogue changes after major events (visiting other areas, killing bosses, finding important items, talking to other NPCs) so it's wise to make regular rounds often visiting all the NPCs if you want to catch all the dialogue and optional quests.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Finally done with my SL1 playthrough.
RaLn1X2.png

Zerginfestor

Learned
I usually go fap ring and Havel ring when I'm very comfortable with my damage and just need to get to that fast roll/medium roll. If building a light build from the get go (like bows and greatbows), I use Havel to offset the weight and Wolf Ring for the poise.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I started a mage char last night and decided to do some crazy shit like upper New Londor to start off after undead burg (after getting Rickard's extra soul arrow spell) and after that I decided to get to go to blighttown and I found a weird thing
Since I dont have the large ember yet I figured I would not be able to upgrade my equipment past +5 but even after getting the blacksmith kit from Andre but somehow armors CAN be upgraded without the ember... is that a bug, an oversight or is that working as intended?
Secondly, I am trying really hard to make this char a pure magic user but I still to have a melee weapon accesible so I got a nice short sword (my favorite moveset) and so far I have been casting magic weapon on it for melee but should I simply go and get the magic and later on the enchanted upgrade?
I know a few bosses like Artorias are not going to be feasible as pure magic ranged and some enemies are resitant to magic so should I simply add a few levels to dex or even try to go raw?

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Artorias is feasible with a pure magic build, matter of fact, he's really easy with it. I've beat him faster with a high INT magic build than with anything.

Metro said this before, get Velka's rapier, it is really helpful with magic builds.
Also get moonlight greatsword. if you get Chainmail armor +10 or Solaire's armor+10 is also very helpful because of the great damage reduction and the latter's poise.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Since I dont have the large ember yet I figured I would not be able to upgrade my equipment past +5 but even after getting the blacksmith kit from Andre but somehow armors CAN be upgraded without the ember... is that a bug, an oversight or is that working as intended?
Secondly, I am trying really hard to make this char a pure magic user but I still to have a melee weapon accesible so I got a nice short sword (my favorite moveset) and so far I have been casting magic weapon on it for melee but should I simply go and get the magic and later on the enchanted upgrade?
I know a few bosses like Artorias are not going to be feasible as pure magic ranged and some enemies are resitant to magic so should I simply add a few levels to dex or even try to go raw?

Raw is pretty terrible in DS1; it's always outclassed by normal starting from like +11 or +12 I think no matter your stats.

I don't think armor needs embers to enchant but I think I never bothered enchanting armor past +1 or +2 until I had absolutely everything else finished.

Buffs are a flat +damage per hit bonus in DS1, meaning they're really good on fast weapons. So if you're using a shortsword I'd stick with normal enchanting plus the buff. If you want to have monstrous ripostes with a large club or something, enchant it magic. Lightning and fire enchant paths don't care about your stats at all in DS1 either.

Also magic is pretty overpowered in DS1 and you can squash the DLC bosses with high powered soul spears etc, so don't worry about that.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had forgotten about Velka's rapier that is a damn great item thanks guys
Yeah I think I will keep the short sword as it is an use the enchantment as needed until I get the rapier

sullynathan

Arcane
Or try be stock. I made a battle mage build with full Chainmail/armor of sun/sage armor, Velka's rapier/moonlight greatsword/Estoc/sage staff and ring of favor/the dragon crest ring/wolf ring.

Allows you to play like a mage and switch to melee when you want to. Really effective in pvp too.

Gentle Player

Arcane
I would go with Moonlight Butterfly Horn (I really hope this underrated weapon makes a comeback :negative:). As with the Moonlight Sword, it has no split damage, and it's also very easy to make - just use the Lightning Spear you get from Sen's.

I wouldn't bother levelling Dex until NG+. Unless you're planning to do a lot of farming, souls and stat points are fairly tight for a sorcerer given that the best spells (not to mention the Dragon ring) are the most expensive things in the game, and they require high INT to use. You'll also want sufficient ATN, and to not neglect VIT and END overmuch.

Zerginfestor

Learned
think the most fun I ever had in Dark Souls was doing a Boxer build with Dragon Bone fist, dual wielded and with Steel armor, legs, with Thorn Gauntlets and finally the Crown of the Great Lord. Looked like a heavyweight champ.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Came back to this having only played the 'developer intended' straightforward way before. Picked wanderer and went to gravelord sword first thing, holy crap it's cheesy but fun. Poor Taurus Demon took 1000+ from the drop attack and only needed one more poke to kill. Then got a +1 from demon titanite behind blacksmith, then Havel's to fast roll again. Gotta find the next thing to cheese into now :M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One more thing - should I unlock 60 fps? I'm reading it'll open a can of worms, game unstable, online play screwed, you can get banned even. Others say it's just rumors and dooo eeet. Anyone can give a first hand tip?

One more thing - should I unlock 60 fps? I'm reading it'll open a can of worms, game unstable, online play screwed, you can get banned even. Others say it's just rumors and dooo eeet. Anyone can give a first hand tip?

You absolutely should unlock fps. And then limit it to 30. Unlock is needed to fix performance issues, limit is needed to avoid bugs. I had one char randomly fall through the floor and stay there in neverland even after a reload. If not for auto save backup function of dsfix I don't think I would've been able to bring it back. Also you can fall through the floor sliding down ladders in couple places but that at least gets fixed with a reload, as I recall. Been playing at 30 since.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I've finished the game twice using 60fps unlock. The only problem I had was certain jumps don't really work unless you're at 30.

Never fell through the map and got stuck; sounds scary.

I had one char randomly fall through the floor and staying there in neverland even after reload.

I saw this after I typed up my post. Surely this is solvable either by Homeward Bone or using your Darksign?

:lol: Actually I don't remember if I tried it, but you may be right. :edit: I think I just recalled that char was in a constant falling state and I might not have been able to use items.

Am I the only one who also thinks animations look a bit weird at 60 fps? I have a similar feeling with DSII, which I also play at 30. It's like these games really weren't meant to be played above 30 fps. Maybe it's just me being silly, but only DSIII felt fine at unlocked framerate to me.
By the way there's definitely more than one place that you can fall through sliding down a ladder. Just not sure if there's more than two places like that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom