Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I usually aviod shitposters but just for the sake of argument lets see
So Emmanuel2 the game comes down to equipment, so by that I take it that having the stats to say equip Havels armor you basically carry ok with your gameplay as usual, if you were before a ninja flipping dex build then you play ot all the same right?
Or maybe you are a quality build using spears and shields but then you find a brand new rapier and then you decide you want to go flippy flappy all over the game because it only takes a new item to adjust your playstyle?
Your rationale is so stupid I literally cannot even begin to see where you are coming from, you see items do have stats requirements but how you develop your character after that requirment makes 50% difference and the other 50% comes from pure player skill...
This means that regardless of items (as do most NG players have the top leveld items in the game) player skill is and always is the determining factor in the game
Having higher stats does help lesser players beat the game, but your retarded lumping of pve and pvp into a single "equipment means everything" bullshit is frankly offensive
You are worse than retards who say that Dark Souls has no story you moron

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo guise, a small teeny thing, anyone in a position to gift me a Sif and Moonlight Butterfly soul? Need them for the "All rare weapons" achievement. Unfotunately I accidentaly gulped down the Butterfly soul on my NG and you need three items from Sif. I'm currently on NG+ and don't feel like doing NG++ anytime soon. But I'd like all achievements done.

My thanks to anyone who miraculously happens to be able to help.
I think I have them on a character I abandoned

Well if you find it my Steam ID is Carlos77.
There's a bunch of carloses77

Oh, didn't realize Steam allows non-unique IDs. It should be Carlos77 from the Czech Republic (avatar with a horse and a rider).

Emmanuel2

Savant
I usually aviod shitposters but just for the sake of argument lets see
So Emmanuel2 the game comes down to equipment, so by that I take it that having the stats to say equip Havels armor you basically carry ok with your gameplay as usual, if you were before a ninja flipping dex build then you play ot all the same right?
Or maybe you are a quality build using spears and shields but then you find a brand new rapier and then you decide you want to go flippy flappy all over the game because it only takes a new item to adjust your playstyle?
Your rationale is so stupid I literally cannot even begin to see where you are coming from, you see items do have stats requirements but how you develop your character after that requirment makes 50% difference and the other 50% comes from pure player skill...
This means that regardless of items (as do most NG players have the top leveld items in the game) player skill is and always is the determining factor in the game
Having higher stats does help lesser players beat the game, but your retarded lumping of pve and pvp into a single "equipment means everything" bullshit is frankly offensive
You are worse than retards who say that Dark Souls has no story you moron

What shitpost? Your post is even more low effort than mine in terms of actually understanding what others wrote and what he/she/it can write.

Oh cool, my first fight in the codex, so exciting! But apparently, I'm against a retard who doesn't have any kind of reading comprehension whatsoever nor doesn't have any kind of reasonable ground for argument.

Yes, the game comes down to equipment, I've been playing the game for as long as I remember with alot of these "builds". The difference between my Soul Level 1 character @ NG+4 and my other characters is their stats and what equipment they use, no distinction of an archetype whatsoever so, eventually, if I do so choose to level all of them to, say 200, they will be alike, no exceptions the only difference would be how I'd play them and that was the point we were making.

If you include player-relative skill in character builds, then that isn't what you'd call a character build. That player-relative skill is simply called a preferred playstyle, moron. Me and boot were never arguing whether or not playstyles across characters are the same, we were pointing out build and how eventually, anyone becomes everyone where only gear choice matters that even you yourself cited examples for in your "argument".

Let me type that again in case the above sentence did not make it to your incomprehensibly thick small nut of a brain and reasonably low perception -> comprehension skill value, builds = stats to an extent + equipment, playstyle = the style of play. Also, I did not lump PvE and PvP together, both takes some skill but I won't neglect theorycrafted restricted level PvP builds for low-level invasions that works wonders that also work for PvE of which in this case, like in my previous post, was the only time I acknowledged real character builds as opposed to master-of-all-trades traditional PvE ones.

You are the worst version of a Dark Souls fanboy that I know of so far, needlessly defending for the sake of defending their favorite "hardcore" game. Are you trying to assert your e-peen against those who are "noobs"? By all means go for it, but at least get some modicum of reading comprehension first.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
21531.jpg

Is this Bubbles dumb cousin?

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, the game comes down to equipment, I've been playing the game for as long as I remember with alot of these "builds". The difference between my Soul Level 1 character @ NG+4 and my other characters is their stats and what equipment they use, no distinction of an archetype whatsoever so, eventually, if I do so choose to level all of them to, say 200, they will be alike, no exceptions the only difference would be how I'd play them and that was the point we were making.

I get what you are saying, but your point applies to any sufficiently open system when extended to infinite time. Pick, for example, the TES system. Any player, with sufficient patience, can have 100 on all skills, so character builds tend to become homogeneous. Or even D&D 3rd edition: remove all arbitrary level caps and with enough grinding a player can become a level 20 mage/20 fighter/20 cleric/20 thief. But in concrete applications, like, say, a campaign, an adventure, a game, these systems are not stretched to infinite or indefinite time and the player is forced to specialize -- character building becomes the process of making choices in that restricted time frame, with limited building resources (XP or narrative or other constraints). So, for example, in the Souls games, a player completes the game with a soul level of, let's say, 80. In that limited frame he was forced to specialize in some degree, or to choose to become a jack of all trades, master of none, etc.

boot

Prophet
Yeah, these are shit systems.

In Dark Souls nearly all a character's ability is decided by his weapon and equips. That's what really bothers me. Feels very wrong that upgrading a weapon gives greater increase than allocating stats. Each character feels the same.

In Dark Souls nearly all a character's ability is decided by his weapon and equips. That's what really bothers me. Feels very wrong that upgrading a weapon gives greater increase than allocating stats. Each character feels the same.

use different weapons, numbnuts

ffs nigger this game has some of the most varied builds you can come up with

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

This is incorrect when it comes to intelligence (sorcerer) build. While the catalyst does make a big difference, and ring/helm will increase your damage by a lot, the largest boost in damage will come from uppgrading your intelligence. The same can be said for a faith build. Pyromancy is completely reliant on equipment (pyromancy flame).

boot

Prophet
Then you hit soft cap.

You'll probably top off your int/faith based on what spells you are going to equip. Game gives the feeling the only real build choice is your loadout. Do not like.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Retarded Sheldon Cooper shitpost rantrage mode
Ok let me make this easier newfag, your argument is that all builds are basically the same because in the end the depend on their equipment to be different and any stats are just there to allow you to equip say items in the first place and any stats after that dont affect the gameplay nor playstyle of each "build" because they "all play the same"
So by that rationale a character that equips Havel's set is basically the same as any other as long as they have the proper stats to wear the armor
So lets make it easier

2 characters equip the Havel set;

Character 1 is a quality character who has gone most of the game balancing strength and dexerity and trying to maintain his weight to be able to fast roll but now uses an armor which now barely allows him to move around and since he favors attacking a lot whole dodging he has spent most of his extra stat points into pumping stamina and magic skill to be able to use magic as backup

Character 2 is also a quality build but since he doesnt care much about dodging and rather just tank it he spent his extra stats into getting more Health and upping his armor carrying capacity
Now you still following me?
You are saying hell all char builds play the same and we have 2 that pretty much "are" the same

Yet one has a much larger health bar and can probably handdle maybe 30 to 40% more hits in that armor and since he doesnt care about fat rolling anyway he just tanks hits while he is never staggered in the armor with the most poise in the game... hell add the Wolf Ring and he is basically a juggernaut that can tank even Manus
Yet the other character has played the game differently and pumped his stats to raise his stamina so he can jump around and dodge and yet now his playstyle would be completly different if he sticks with the Havel armor because he has less Health and all his extra stamina is basically nice but probably wasted on this particular build unless he wants to change his playstyle and start using a shield too

So, that is a little example of how equipment does matter a lot but once again playstyle and stats matter even more because the equipment has to fit the characters stats and playstyle

Hell even my brother and I using the same character play it differently, I focus on close up pyromancy like combustion or power within for duels while he goes for fire storms and chaos fireballs for the added aoe lava effect on pvp

Could have even gone with the classic Int 20 vs Int 40 builds example to exemplify but anybody but Bubbles junior gets the point that a Int 20 character using the best catalyst in the game is not as good as an Int 40 char using the starter catalyst

Can the both in theory play the same? Yes, but the effectiveness of their magic is ultimately decided by their stats and since the catalysts are not upgradable there goes your equipment theory

So now Emmanuel enlighten us with your dazzling brillance fucktard

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been doing some PvP in Oolacile, there was one dude I ran into 5 or 6 times - every.single.time he backstabbed me. He didn't do anything, only this weird dance around me but whatever I fucking did - blocking, running, dodging - he ALWAYS got the backstab. I always thought next time imma be more careful but I couldn't figure out how to prevent him from suddenly teleporting behind me and blam.

Is this a thing in DS1? Is it some legitimate master moves, perfected by years of practice, or just exploiting some glitch or outright hacking?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have no idea. But I have a similar experience from Oolacile; it seemed as a completely unreal PvP area for people with wacky weirdo skills. I usually got killed in 5 seconds with no lesson learned. This is why I moved to Anor Londo and to Undead Burg for PvP (with preference to UB).

If anyone could shed some light on this backstabbing issue, I'd also like to know ;)

edit: if it's a rolling backstab, then yes, it's hard to describe it, but you can kinda sense when the guy starts rolling to do that... keep trying ;)

boot

Prophet
So, that is a little example of how equipment does matter a lot but once again playstyle and stats matter even more because the equipment has to fit the characters stats and playstyle

BUT EQUIPMENT DETERMINES THE STATS AND PLAYSTLE YOU WILL USE XDDD!!!

I am done. These aren't bad games but I don't think they are rpgs.

sullynathan

Arcane
Been doing some PvP in Oolacile, there was one dude I ran into 5 or 6 times - every.single.time he backstabbed me. He didn't do anything, only this weird dance around me but whatever I fucking did - blocking, running, dodging - he ALWAYS got the backstab. I always thought next time imma be more careful but I couldn't figure out how to prevent him from suddenly teleporting behind me and blam.

Is this a thing in DS1? Is it some legitimate master moves, perfected by years of practice, or just exploiting some glitch or outright hacking?
This is DS1 pvp in a nut shell. Oolacile is pvp central and there's a bot that constantly plays PVP waiting to kill people. This is where I learned that DS1's pvp is broken as fuck. Poise back stabs and people baiting back stabs like crazy. Even had a cheater that wouldn't die at all unless you tricked him to fall down into a pit.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I know what you mean, some players have this weird trick for backstabbing there, dont know if it has something to do with the way the level is set up but some have learned to do a sort of blinking rolling backstab
Hell even DS3 has a ring that immitates how that looks
And it is not due ti hacking be because I have seen it on PC and PS3

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
There are cheaters on PS3 and Xbox360 as well, not just PC. I have some of the sets on PS3 that aren't possible to get in the game like the Elite Cleric set, got it from someone else who obviously didn't get it legit. The backstab thing isn't so much cheating as it's abusing the latency and moving correctly.

Emmanuel2

Savant

BUT EQUIPMENT DETERMINES THE STATS AND PLAYSTLE YOU WILL USE XDDD!!!

I am done. These aren't bad games but I don't think they are rpgs.

I am done too. Invictus is too big of a retarded fanboy to see whatever the fuck there is to see. His rant is more reminiscent of a sheldon cooper nerdrage mode rant than mine but yet fails to see that. He even pointed out that I said characters played the same of which I explicitly state did not but only character builds in the long run. Goes to show that investing a little into reading comprehension goes a long way.

I get what you are saying, but your point applies to any sufficiently open system when extended to infinite time. Pick, for example, the TES system. Any player, with sufficient patience, can have 100 on all skills, so character builds tend to become homogeneous. Or even D&D 3rd edition: remove all arbitrary level caps and with enough grinding a player can become a level 20 mage/20 fighter/20 cleric/20 thief. But in concrete applications, like, say, a campaign, an adventure, a game, these systems are not stretched to infinite or indefinite time and the player is forced to specialize -- character building becomes the process of making choices in that restricted time frame, with limited building resources (XP or narrative or other constraints). So, for example, in the Souls games, a player completes the game with a soul level of, let's say, 80. In that limited frame he was forced to specialize in some degree, or to choose to become a jack of all trades, master of none, etc.

At the least, someone got it. I was never arguing that the system didn't have builds in the first place. In the sense like the TES games, of which I actively avoided citing as an example to avoid trigerring the retarded fanboys, where time is the only thing that restricts you from getting a master-of-all-trades that eventually all characters would become. In this case, equipment and playstyle is the only determining matter.

But meh, I'll just add another to my ignore list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom