Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sheeet, sorry for bullshiting you guise, I needed about 15 tries at Fume. Russian hackers messing with my memory you know. It was one of the other tougher DLC bosses that went down relatively fast, can't remember now...maybe blue Smelter.

I usually use heavy hitters so I was generally struggling with DLC bosses until I started using a special boss build with a lightning buffed rapier. Christ everything was so much easier. Before - 15 attempts at the tiger. After - first shotted. Fume went down quite soon after switching too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Minecraft is the most offensive of the bunch by a very large amount. Fucking neckbeards, man.

I was sure I pointed out I only play that game if brother comes home and we don't have any movie to watch or anything to do, but I must have deleted that.

Just find it hilarious you spent hours praising this game for not being a typical JRPG, then you play it and...whoops, it's too hard because you're impatient and expect the game to beat itself.

We are speaking differently languages here, but should I be surprised? Every Dark Souls player has his head so up his ass he refuses to listen to any kind of critciism for the game. Especially when I said over and over again it's not the encounter difficulty that bothers me, it is the annoying repetition of it. It's having to go restart from Viridian City if Brock defeats you. It's having to go through the entirety of the Shinjuku Hospital if Forneus fucks up your party.

It's "tedious", "annoying", not "difficult".

Edit: Sticking to the Hydra example, if it's firing projectiles at you (i.e. a long range attack), and giving you trouble, doesn't common sense dictate you should close the gap so it stops firing long range projectiles at you?

No. The Hydra is well placed in unaccessible water. By firing projectiles at me, it would kill me easily. A knife-throwing thief is a whole different thing: it's impossible to throw things at someone when you are too busy getting hacked to death by said someone. But the Hydra? It's in a very safe position. Unless we are supposed to believe its water projectiles would somehow hurt it too.

Oh and if you actually paid attention to the Hydra's projectiles, it doesn't go through the rock, the splash does.

Wow, that changes everything. Water splashes magically go through rocks instead of around them, I should have expected that...

EDIT: Anyhow, I'm at Blighttown at the moment, lit up the bonfire. Gonna do some exploring later.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
I had a massively gay bandit axe rob-flynn build with 50 vig/40 str and killed Fume on the first or second try because each hit did like 1/10th of his HP. I assure you no skill was involved.

Black Angel

Arcane
Especially when I said over and over again it's not the encounter difficulty that bothers me, it is the annoying repetition of it.
How many times must it be mentioned to you that you can just breeze through enemies immediately to the boss fog? Especially since this game had lots of shortcuts.

You only really felt the repetition if you died a lot, which means in that case you have to git gud. Also, in case you haven't know - Soulsborne games gaming session were influenced greatly by your current state of mind and psychology (though might be true with most games). If you're not feeling good, you WILL die - a lot. So it will be better to put down the game for a while, play other games in the meantime or just do something else, then come back when you're feeling fresh and up to the challenge.

dunno lah

Arcane
Also, if you feel like you're too squishy or aren't doing enough damage, please upgrade or switch your shit up. There is still the "RPG" part in this game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Especially when I said over and over again it's not the encounter difficulty that bothers me, it is the annoying repetition of it.
How many times must it be mentioned to you that you can just breeze through enemies immediately to the boss fog? Especially since this game had lots of shortcuts.

Why do you think breezing is a satisfying alternative to "just place a checkpoint before the boss so I get a new try right away"?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Placing a checkpoint before the boss is bad. That you can breeze through enemies doesn't mean you have to, I generally don't, I prefer learning and masterizing the sequence.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Placing a checkpoint before the boss is bad. That you can breeze through enemies doesn't mean you have to, I generally don't, I prefer learning and masterizing the sequence.

But after that, doesn't it just become a chore ? You could argue it adds tension to the bossfight, and you would be right, but I still think it's a (small) bummer on the game.

That being said, I think it only becomes a problem with Capra and SO, and SO is just a backstab (actually forgot about that untill just now lal) and a bit of running, that's it.

Does it add something ? Yes. Does it become boring/tedious at points ? For me, oh god yes. Like I said earlier, got sick of the walk waaay before I got sick of those bossfights.

Black Angel

Arcane
Why do you think breezing is a satisfying alternative to "just place a checkpoint before the boss so I get a new try right away"?
You DO have checkpoints before the boss so you get to try right away. They are just placed right on the unopen-able side of the shortcuts. Most of the shortcuts that DO make run quite a bit are relatively easy bosses who would require learning their attack pattern and when they begin their specific move, and (sadly) circle-strafing them. The boss(es) that IS making you running quite a bit AND pretty challenging would be O&S.

Thing is, I'm just gonna warn you:
if the first half of this game is already driving you insane merely due to having to run for a while to the bosses from the nearest bonfire, I suggest you drop the game entirely because the second half of the game DO have some of the most retarded designs, especially the nearest bonfire placement to the bosses. Just saying to save you some whining that is already repeated across 300++ pages of this and other Souls thread.

But after that, doesn't it just become a chore ? You could argue it adds tension to the bossfight, and you would be right, but I still think it's a (small) bummer on the game.

That being said, I think it only becomes a problem with Capra and SO, and SO is just a backstab (actually forgot about that untill just now lal) and a bit of running, that's it.

Does it add something ? Yes. Does it become boring/tedious at points ? For me, oh god yes. Like I said earlier, got sick of the walk waaay before I got sick of those bossfights.
It's a matter of preference. One thing that I really love about Soulsborne games is this kind of freedom when having to do something so trivial, like whether or not you want to use shield or not at all, or clear the area every time you respawn or just breeze through them. And like I said, it's also a matter of your current state of mind when playing: having to run back and forth would really become tedious if you're just currently not feeling good. Especially in the first half of the game when you don't yet have access to warping.

Me, however, love to just walk and run around the places solely because of the game had some of best designed levels of all time. The way the levels connect with one another, and NO loading screen on top of that (which means Dark Souls is a better open-world game than Skyrim that came out at the same year). The only game that managed to compete Dark Souls's level design in terms of levels connectivity that I know of would be Underrail, but they are in different perspective so they aren't really comparable...

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
having to run back and forth would really become tedious if you're just currently not feeling good.

I like a little of the oll' laid-back grinding/dicking around every now and then as much as the next guy. That's not the point though. And sure the world is great and traversing it is awesome; running through a bunch of hospital halls doing a telegraphed dance is not.
to me:hahano:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dark Souls 2 and 3 are playable on Mouse/Keyboard? I played only Dark Souls 1 on controller but i dont have controler right now... So they did better job with M/K in D2/D3 than in D1 or not?
I played both DS and DS3 keyboard only. Yes D3 works fine with mouse, but I was used to keyboard only and it wouldn't feel like sequel.

Black Angel

Arcane
I like a little of the oll' laid-back grinding/dicking around every now and then as much as the next guy. That's not the point though. And sure the world is great and traversing it is awesome; running through a bunch of hospital halls doing a telegraphed dance is not.
to me:hahano:
Then what is your point? CryptRat mentioned how he preferred not to breeze through encounters and, instead, learning and mastering the sequence. You then asked wouldn't it would just become a chore, 'after that'? That this particular design would resulted in boredom and tedium to some people? To which I replied that it's a matter of preference; that you're free to choose between breezing through encounters or just face them over and over again, which is what the design allowed. If you don't want either of that, and instead wanted a checkpoint right before the boss fog, then you're not going to find it in this game and, thus, the game is just not for you.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Interesting name :M

46C4191079C092073F6BF48AC448E655CBDF9EC1

Black Angel

Arcane
Feeling good has nothing to do with finding things tedious.

That was the point.
If you've been watching big Youtubers who LPed Dark Souls like Pewdiepie, and of course big names among Soulsborne community like ENB, you can see in some of their playthrough where they get legit frustrated because of the running sequence to the end of a level (especially Pewdiepie) and ENB even outright pointed out how, if you're not making any progress, put the game down for awhile, breath in some fresh air or even play other games; come back later when you feel like it. Pewdiepie did exactly just that; he kinda ragequit after nth death, the camera then cut to the point where he had even put on different clothes and he defeated the boss in one fucking try after the break.

I'm not saying it's always the case, but the way Soulsborne games were designed is to really fuck impatient players in the ass with the encounter designs and level designs. That's why when you enter an area for the first time, it's absolutely recommended to not rush and to move really carefully and take your time. This, however, WILL get tedious IF you don't feel like moving carefully and just want to rush. And then you die, you do another attempt, you die again, you get frustrated, you do another attempt, you die, etc etc....

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Damn shame you didn't stream yourself in the Tomb of Giants. Could have at least given us a hearty laugh.

Tomb of Giants is not difficult, only it's dark...and you don't see shit....and them dogs attack too fast.

O&S are not difficult either, only there are two of them...and then one of them gets big...

It's the wrong type of difficulty. And stuff.

Tomb of Giants isn't really hard. Its just annoying, because its a poorly designed level with nothing in it because they ran out of time, so they tried hiding it by making it dark as fuck.
Still better than Lost Izalith / Bed of Chaos.
Worst goddamn area in about any game I played. Its like ToG in that there's nothing in it, but now the environment hurts, they spammed dragon butts everywhere, and the boss is boring and frustrating to fight, as all you do is run and try not to get knocked off by hard to avoid swipes.

The game overall feels weaker after you get the lord vessel. You can finish it pretty quickly afterwards, and the only real zone that actually feels good are the Archives.

Last edited:

In my opinion it is a mechanism to keep the player on their toes. In Souls games you never reach a point where you are invincible to enemies - even a lowly cannon fodder-type enemy can still fuck you up, even if you have godlike gear in your NG++++ playthrough, if you're not paying attention. It's easy, sure, if you're on your game - but it never becomes completely trivial (like in a grindy RPG, for instance).

Despite the possibility of running through shit (which I appreciate), I don't - I always fight my way back to bosses. And it's cool to me knowing that a basic enemy can kill me if I'm playing like a retard.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game overall feels weaker after you get the lord vessel.

Meh, I feel Cataboms, Tomb, Archives and New Londo are comparable with the rest of the game. Demon Ruins and Izalith do feel like a placeholder and I think Miyazaki even said it kindda is. It's a stain on a brilliant game and if the rumors about the remaster are true I hope they cut hard and deep into those areas and make it awesome too.

cruel

Cipher
Catacombs, from the level design perspective, is one of the best areas in the game

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm fighting the giant spider+woman in her nest.

I swear, if it wasn't because the trek is short (though made pointlessly long thanks to the slow movement of the swamp) I would have uninstalled this game already. My issue with this game is that even when you figure out what you need to do to beat the bosses, it isn't enough. Which is the opposite of every other RPG I've ever played, where if you got the strategy nailed down, there's little to no difference from theory to practice.

Fucking spider woman, fuck you and your fire attacks.

janior

Arcane
Patron

I swear, if it wasn't because the trek is short (though made pointlessly long thanks to the slow movement of the swamp) I would have uninstalled this game already. My issue with this game is that even when you figure out what you need to do to beat the bosses, it isn't enough. Which is the opposite of every other RPG I've ever played, where if you got the strategy nailed down, there's little to no difference from theory to practice.

W E A K
YOU WILL NEVER BECOME TRUE SAMURAI

Having the manual dexterity to execute your strategy is a pretty big part of the action element in this action RPG.

In other words, git gud. :retarded:

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Having the manual dexterity to execute your strategy is a pretty big part of the action element in this action RPG.

In other words, git gud. :retarded:

No need to git gud. Summoned a woman thanks to a guide and we both beat her on our first try. :love:

The problem with Dark Souls is that gitting gud involves a lot of time, a lot of patience, and a lot of frustration. I know of no other game that is like this.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
idk how u had trouble with queelag as a sorcerer tbh you can just keep your distance and fire missiles while she's vomiting then repeat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom