Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Gentle Player

Arcane
Sorcery may be powerful in Dark Souls 1, but it's absolutely obscene in Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I remember when I first played Demons Souls without knowing anything about the game it was pretty hard as a melee character, but when I tried the Royal it was disgustingly easy because of soul arrow. I've since considered sorcery easymode in all Souls games and haven't tried it since Dark Souls 1.

Silva

Arcane
Yep, for all praises the series gets, it's horribly unbalanced between melee and caster characters. It's a testament to how good its actual strong points are, that its such a praised series even with all those glaring flaws.

Yep, for all praises the series gets, it's horribly unbalanced between melee and caster characters. It's a testament to how good its actual strong points are, that its such a praised series even with all those glaring flaws.

I would like to reveal myself as being a huge contrarian in thinking that having such a divide in difficulty for a chosen style of playstyle can have its benefits. Maybe people really just want an unofficial "easy mode", you can summon other people already. Souls encourages the player to set their own difficulty; this is why the topic of "Dark Souls needs an easy mode" is so ridiculous because an "Easy mode" already exists. It just requires a small bit of knowledge about the game.

There is also teh topic of NG+ cycles, with the first NG+ being a significant jump in difficulty. It is, admittedly, not really fair to expect players to play though the entire game just to have more of a challenge for being spellcaster but it does have a bit of incentive to do so, if only for bragging rights.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Starting a new playthrough, now that my pc is fixed.

Any interesting/exotic builds I should try?

Giantdad (see only OnlyAfro)
Artorias (just like it sounds. Artorias weapons and shield + armor)
Velka (int based miracles + Velka Rapier)
Fisticuffs (punching and fist weapons only)
Gravelord sword run
weeaboo (katanas and shit. Mostly dex.)
Dragondildo (dragon weapons and dragon body. I would go strength for this, since most of the good dragon weapons have high strength requirements. Except Priscilla's dagger, which is S in dex. It's also a piece of shit, so fuck that)

And for extra difficulty -

Resistance Build - Put everything into resistance. This build is great because you only need 3 pieces of equipment ; hammer, nails and your penis. If you lack a penis you may substitute it with a clitoris.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright, how I rate the games:

Bloodborne >= Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2 >= Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 3

EDIT:
Oddly enough despite my absolute hatred for Soul Memory... I think I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 pvp the most. I also played PvP on that game the most.

Mozg

Arcane
Probably because it's the only one that has even vaguely appropriate mechanics for PvP

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh, another possible build is no offensive magic Int build.
The thing with Int builds is that they are usually pretty OP, to the point where you never have to use those shiny int weapons against important dudes, like bosses.
So what you can do is play as you would normally play a sorcerer, but not use any offensive magic and just use buffs.
I guess you can call it a spell sword build.

You can also try a pure sorcerer build, where you only use magic and the starting sorcerer melee weapon.
I think there's a video of that on Youtube.
Just don't bother bringing int up to 50, because White Dragon Breath is shit.
Longest casting time and the damage isn't even that great.

I rate Dark Souls 1 above everything else.
Mostly because I only ever played DS1. Having an antiquated toaster for a computer is rough.
Also, Bloodborne being console exclusive is bullshit. Fucking sony.
DS2 actually runs much better on my toaster than DS1 (not on max settings of course), so you might as well give it a try.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Mostly because I only ever played DS1. Having an antiquated toaster for a computer is rough.
DS2 actually runs much better on my toaster than DS1 (not on max settings of course), so you might as well give it a try.

Scholar of the First sin or the Original?
I might pick up DS2 if it goes on sale.

sullynathan

Arcane

Scholar of the First sin or the Original?
I might pick up DS2 if it goes on sale.
Scholar of the first sin runs better than dark souls on the same hardware.

sullynathan

Arcane
Huh, odd. Can you Run it keeps telling me that I wouldn't be able to run it, even though I can run DS1.
I still use an i3 4th gen and a R7 260x GPU btw.
I played both games on a Mac laptop and scholar of the first sin runs better.

It was a better port. Get it from one of those sites and try it if you're not sure

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So discovered something weird on my NG+ run; you know that room with the wheel skeletons in the Painted World of Ariamis? Well there was a Phalanx in there.
Just one. Is that a NG+ thing? This is actually the first time I played NG+, so I don't know about all the changes.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So discovered something weird on my NG+ run; you know that room with the wheel skeletons in the Painted World of Ariamis? Well there was a Phalanx in there.
Just one. Is that a NG+ thing? This is actually the first time I played NG+, so I don't know about all the changes.
Sounds like it fell thru the geometry.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's always been there, it can catch you if you don't watch out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom