Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Arnust

Savant
but it's relatively pointless to go over 56 poise in DS1, as only the slowest of the slow weapons will stagger you, and those mostly can't combo and are so slow you can avoid them with a ping of 10 minutes.
An information completely intuitive and reasonably explained in game, like someone tried to argue to me lol. Honestly, that, Drop rate, and the different roll variations' breakpoints would make me hate the game's design if it didn't make up for it in spades.

Also:
>prateror Agreed
>praetor Disagreed
>praetor Agreed Harder
>praetor Quoted you

Praetor is a tsundere confirmed :P

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
that was one of the 2 problems with poise in DS1: it was too easy to stack that "optimal breakpoint"

And that is the reason I've actually changed my mind on invasions. I've used to love the idea, now I think inserting a competitive PvP element into a single player game is just a bad idea. And one of the reasons is that you have to actually balance weapons and armor and other systems for PvE AND PvP at the same time, which, as is quite clear from Souls history, FromSoft just failed at totally.

You talk about the easiness of stacking optimal breakpoints but that's purely a PvP thing. In PvE it's totally different and there DS1 poise works absolutely great. If From didn't have to try to come up with a one-size-fits-all solution it wouldn't be a problem at all. If they did what all developers have done since the dawn of the time and separated the singleplayer and multiplayer into two different entries in the main menu, they wouldn't have to keep solving a problem for 10 years straight that's fundamentally unsolvable.

I love the idea of invasions, I really do, but only on paper. In reality the cost in compromises is simply too high.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Invasions aren't meant to be a balanced pvp experience, the point is to create tension because you know you could get invaded at any time by someone who can wreck your day.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll say this, when I recently played Dark Souls 2, the waiting time for PVP was next to 0. Constant fighting in the arena, at least during my timezone.
Still the best Souls PVP!

Arnust

Savant
There is a difference between Balance and "balance". Balance is the ideal status of having all weapons equally viable thanks to other systems, and having the especially rare and powerful weapons and gear have stronger pros but also stronger cons. "balance" is listening to the game's subreddit post-release, like Ds3 did and fucking guess what, it became the most unfun multiplayer when it came to fighting out of all of them. There were some decent better patches for time of TRC improving Hyperarmor/"Poise" and some other stuff- almost two damn years later.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PvP combat is meant to be balanced, as evidenced by their constant balance patches. Invasions are win by any means necessary. Seeds of Giants wouldn't exist if this were the case.

Sure. The talk was about invasions in the context of weps balance tho, not the general concept. People ITT who think they can speedread missed that point.

Hyperion

Arcane
PvP combat is meant to be balanced, as evidenced by their constant balance patches. Invasions are win by any means necessary. Seeds of Giants wouldn't exist if this were the case.

Sure. The talk was about invasions in the context of weps balance tho, not the general concept. People ITT who think they can speedread missed that point.
Which is exactly how I meant it. We all would like weapons to be equally balanced, but that's never the case. If there are brokenly powerful weapons, and you need them to fight off an Invader, use it, more power to you - it's your game, and your progress, and some motherfucker is trying to shit on that. He wants to fuck your day up, and he's going to use the shitty environment, and enemy placements against you. If the Invader uses it, he's a dirty cocksucker, but he wants to ensure he can get the job done. Invasions are not honorabu.

For the record, I fucking hate Invaders with a passion.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh sure but I didn't mean that. For the past 2 pages I was talking about how the need to balance weapons for PvE and PvP screws it all up. Whatever, doesn't matter.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There was nothing balanced about DeS invasions, and it tried to be as unfair for the person who gets invaded as possible, which is the blue print for the entire system in later Souls games. And it was fun and fine like this. I enjoyed people invading me and shitting up my entire day by rusting my armor and weapons. It was cutthroat as fug.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
There was nothing balanced about DeS invasions, and it tried to be as unfair for the person who gets invaded as possible, which is the blue print for the entire system in later Souls games. And it was fun and fine like this. I enjoyed people invading me and shitting up my entire day by rusting my armor and weapons. It was cutthroat as fug.
That was the highlight of my demon's souls playthrough. Some guy invaded me as the Yellow turban boss and I was shitting my pants until I fought him and killed him in 4 hits. Had a conversation with him and it was his first time playing the game and he was less than half my level and didn't know much about invading.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Remustard: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/01/11/...tch-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-being-announced-today

Report: Dark Souls 1 Remastered for Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC Being Announced Today

According to multiple sources, both in development and retail, in the next few hours Nintendo will announce a Nintendo Direct Mini to air shortly afterwards showing 2018 software for Switch. As part of this Nintendo Direct, Dark Souls Remastered will be revealed, updating the original game to be playable portably for the first time. Our sources say this is the closing announcement of the direct.

A few hours later it will be announced that Dark Souls Remastered is also coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC. These ports are being handled by a separate company from the Switch port, and will feature rebuilt lighting and SFX based on Dark Souls 3, as well as upscaled textures. One change we've been made aware of is that multiplayer will be expanded to support six concurrent players, which makes sense if the goal is to get Dark Souls' covenant system working a little more smoothly.

One of our sources indicates that Bandai Namco plans to bring all three Dark Soulsgames to Switch eventually, but the oft-rumoured 'trilogy' bundle is not how this will be happening – yet. The Dark Souls Remaster will be launching in May on all platforms.

Well will this coming out as DLC for PC? Oh wait it's Bandai Namco.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
mog2.gif

Gentle Player

Arcane
I imagine it will be a SotFS style job. Enhanced technology and visuals along with some minor changes, and perhaps a few new additions. Rather that than a full remake, where they're liable to go full retard and add unrestricted bonfire warping from the start.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A full remake with warpable bonfires every ten meters DS3-style would be bad. But a light make up with improved lightning and textures is even worse. Who needs that faggy shit? If they're coming back to the game let's do it properly and actually finish the second half with some goddamn content.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I just want them to make Lost Izalith less shit. If they remastered DS1 like they did to DS2 with Scholar, then it might be worth it.
I just hope they don't change the core engine and just slightly tweak the textures. Making it look like DS3 would be bullshit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dammit, I was about to post that.

Well anyway, as long as it is just a graphical update and better Multiplayer system I am cool with it.

But... If these dumbfucks change in any of the gameplay mechanics, specially to be more similiar to DS3, then they can go fuck themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom