Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Bandai Namco on Dark Souls PC remaster: 'There is no discount'
Fake news.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/2595630410176290044/?ctp=21#c2595630410176775290

"Hi guys, Izmar here, new community manager for Bandai Namco EU. Nice to meet you all! I just wanted to step in very quickly and say that right now, we haven't officially announced anything about the subject of a discount. I'm not sure who PCGamer's source is, but it seems like they could be someone who isn't in the loop about what's going on, RE: discounts. "

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bandai Namco on Dark Souls PC remaster: 'There is no discount'
Fake news.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/2595630410176290044/?ctp=21#c2595630410176775290

"Hi guys, Izmar here, new community manager for Bandai Namco EU. Nice to meet you all! I just wanted to step in very quickly and say that right now, we haven't officially announced anything about the subject of a discount. I'm not sure who PCGamer's source is, but it seems like they could be someone who isn't in the loop about what's going on, RE: discounts. "

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
From has confirmed there will be no new assets and no gameplay changes. It sounds like it's basically just going to be a re-port with a few graphics options and 6 person multiplayer added.

I was excited at first (hoping for a legit remaster in the DS3 engine), but it's looking like it's just going to be another DS2 style re-release that will do nothing but upgrade from Dx9 to dx11 (for no reason at all) and needlessly split the multiplayer community across 2 different games.

From has confirmed there will be no new assets and no gameplay changes. It sounds like it's basically just going to be a re-port with a few graphics options and 6 person multiplayer added.

I was excited at first (hoping for a legit remaster in the DS3 engine), but it's looking like it's just going to be another DS2 style re-release that will do nothing but upgrade from Dx9 to dx11 (for no reason at all) and needlessly split the multiplayer community across 2 different games.
you clearly did not play DS2 if you think the only difference between DS2 vanilla and SotFS lies in move from Dx9 to Dx11 :lol:

praetor

Arcane

you clearly did not play DS2 if you think the only difference between DS2 vanilla and SotFS lies in move from Dx9 to Dx11 :lol:

indeed. the only things that weren't completely revamped were the DLC areas (which didn't really need it... apart from the shitty "challenge" areas). i still wish they fixed the texturing mess in DS2 with the SotFS upgrade, and upgraded the shaders...

Cromwell

Arcane
Well you see in the Real World where people work for a living we tend to spend a lot of time going to work and in those cases where you might be commuting on a train or bus we get a whole lot of time where we can play a handheld game because usually by the time we get home we will be tired from our workday or want to spend time with out partners, pets or family... hope this was educational
It's pretty hard to play games while driving a car. Something actual grown ups tend to do, as you'll find out when you hopefully become one.

Hope that was educational.

I normally drive wherever I have to go with a carriage drawn by enslaved enemies. Something actual men do. To get the real dark souls "death and despair" experience I let other people play the game for me and kill them when they die ingame, which amuses me a lot.

praetor

Arcane
i still wish they fixed the texturing mess in DS2 with the SotFS upgrade, and upgraded the shaders...

What is the problem with shaders? Lighting and ambient occlusion improvements don't count as such?

mainly the material shaders. as somebody already mentioned, everything looks way too "plasticky". a general improvement of texture quality (and i'm including the godawful, Quake 1 mod level tiling here), and basic effects like specular would improve the look of the game 10-fold even. and with a more advanced lighting engine... a shame we'll never get that

i seriously doubt lighting is done as a shader. lighting is pretty much the core of a rendering engine ;)

kalganoat

Savant
I found some rumors from chinese forum. The post was dated December 20th. Here's what the guy said:

1. Platform PS4 and Switch, don't know about PC. Release window spring 2018.
2. Optimization is still shit cause low budget. no new assets.
3. A bonfire for Vamos the blacksmith.
4. Fixed ghost strike bug.
5. Fixed four directional rolling bug. (I don't know what he meant by this)
6. Don't know if backstab and parry are fixed but the dev team has the bug showcase footage. (again I don't know much about DS1 what's wrong with these two)
7. Six player multiplayer. (confirmed by Namco)
8. Gestures can be cancelled.
9. Multiple convenant items can be offered at once.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
guys

what's a good build that doesn't OP-break the game (PC ver. of DS - PtD Edition) but is also mechanically sound (for a 1st timer / noob like me).

Also, I am currently going to be using a "regular" DS - PtD Editon copy of the game, pirated obviously, and i am not sure if it has any patches already installed or should I go download one of those "patch-fixes" that make the game "better" or something?

also if so, please post download links for whatever patch/mod/etc I should install before playing with my new Codex-recommended build as I am very lazy.

:)

- Qwinn

RoSoDude

Arcane
guys

what's a good build that doesn't OP-break the game (PC ver. of DS - PtD Edition) but is also mechanically sound (for a 1st timer / noob like me).

Also, I am currently going to be using a "regular" DS - PtD Editon copy of the game, pirated obviously, and i am not sure if it has any patches already installed or should I go download one of those "patch-fixes" that make the game "better" or something?

also if so, please post download links for whatever patch/mod/etc I should install before playing with my new Codex-recommended build as I am very lazy.

- Qwinn

If you're boring, you can go for the "Quality" build, which means a 27/40 split in Strength/Dexterity to get optimal damage when two-handing a weapon (since two-handing multiplies your strength attribute by 1.5, and 40 is the soft cap for attributes). Then some points in Vitality so you don't die and Endurance so you can equip heavier gear without fat-rolling. Grab a shield and use whatever weapon you find fun.

I personally found the game much more natural with light armor for fast rolls, DEX-scaling curved swords, and a parrying implement in my left hand (buckler/target shield/parrying dagger). I never used a shield to block, opting instead to dodge or parry all attacks. When I started the game with blocking, all I did was cower behind my shield -- the instant I let that go, I was playing with a lot more confidence and skill. I used a bow for a bit of ranged cheese and later leveled INT for some sorceries. That stuff's all optional, but having some kind of ranged option (bow/crossbow/throwing daggers/firebombs/spells/miracles/pyromancies) is a good idea, as much as some people deride it.

Mods:
DSFix - makes the PC port less shit. Mandatory. Be wary of unlocking the framerate to 60 Hz, as it causes several glitches (you'll fall through a few floors, jump distance is cut by ~30% which makes it hard but not impossible to explore a few places) but is on the whole worth it.
Dark Souls Input Customizer (requires DSFix) - GUI to allow full customization of controls, Steam Controller support, and comes packaged with a fully featured fix for direct mouse injection if you want to play on M+KB (I can personally vouch for this).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
but worry not my dear compatriots! i have ingeniously succeeded in making my... DOUBLE DASHES (!) correspond to the cardinal item so double dash for flask, etc
so i returned my four previous buttons i was using for camera-movement (they do double duty).

man i can't wait to get out of the first area!

for any curious peeps: what i do is i bind the "right analog stick" left/right iputs, i.e. the conventional camera movement, to activate simultaenously in tandem when i move left or right using "left stick", i.e. wasd, joy stick, guitat hero peripheral, donkey conga drums, whatever.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Happy hobbit goes bald because he lost a bet. I seen his failure live. He did the mistake of not going to sleep when he finished DS I and rather attempting 18 hour long attempt.

Ventidius

Arbiter
A GIFT FOR ALL OF YOU! Watch in awe my amazing Dark Souls video.

The first Dark Souls is the best introduction to the franchise, it sets the tone for the others and best immerses you in the lore and mythos of the series - which IMO is not as negligible an aspect of its appeal as one might think - and also prepares you for what is arguably a ramping up of the difficulty in Dark Souls 2.

That said, the PC port of the first Dark Souls is an abomination to mankind, truly a validation of the stereotype that the Japanese make awful PC ports if there ever was one (it even beats the awful Resident Evil 4 port, in my view). Even with the appropriate mods and/or gamepad it is so far below the experience that you get with other versions of the game and with the PC ports of the newer games that sadly it is ultimately a case of console or bust. You are frankly better off either waiting for the remastered version coming soon or just skipping to Dark Souls 2, which was ported in a mostly competent way, its only issue having been a problem with weapon degradation being linked to fps that has been patched. My only gripe with it is the inability to map the roll button to left-click like I can do in the Dark Souls 3 port, but if you use a gamepad you should have no issues, and even with k+m it is largely functional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom