Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A PC player should be prepared to make some easy, tiny adjustments to how his software runs IMO. Install Durante's DSFix and controls will work fine. Even M+KB, that's how I finished DS1 and wouldn't have it any other way. Plus it's butter smooth, like few games I've played. Even with a moderate config, you should have lots of power to spare. Why not overscale the game then? You'll have graphics, textures several orders of magnitude sharper then on a console.

I really wouldn't want to play DS1 on a console and have a far inferior experience!

RoSoDude

Arcane
A PC player should be prepared to make some easy, tiny adjustments to how his software runs IMO. Install Durante's DSFix and controls will work fine. Even M+KB, that's how I finished DS1 and wouldn't have it any other way. Plus it's butter smooth, like few games I've played. Even with a moderate config, you should have lots of power to spare. Why not overscale the game then? You'll have graphics, textures several orders of magnitude sharper then on a console.

I really wouldn't want to play DS1 on a console and have a far inferior experience!

Sorry, the default M+KB controls are barely even functional, and shouldn't be recommended to anyone. M+KB players should use the mousefix mod included in the Dark Souls Input Customizer instead (and no I will not stop shilling the mod, it's the best).

Arnust

Savant
Dark Souls 1 in the Xbox One/X is the objectively best way to play as of now, actually. You can do a decent patchwork with the full suite of must have mods for the PC version, I guess.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
guys

what's a good build that doesn't OP-break the game (PC ver. of DS - PtD Edition) but is also mechanically sound (for a 1st timer / noob like me).

I really enjoyed Ultra Greatswords. Zweihander has huge range, is available very early and is easy to equip. As soon as you get to Firelink Shrine, you can grab one from the nearby Cementary. Might need to sprint to avoid some skellies. The R2 heavy attack is very satisfying, as it pancakes most mobs... from beyond their attack range. You don't need any other weapon for this game.

It's quality, so push Strenght and Dex... plus some endurance and vitality. The Stone armor set is very nice for excellent poise and defences - when you can reasonably wear it (or its pieces).

The Decline

Arcane
DTSobNAVMAA420A

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Replaying DS1 with mouse and keyboard controls using fixes and utilities suggested here (previously played on gamepad, several years ago), and it's so enjoyable. Locking on targets is completely unneeded, even movement feels better with mouselook for camera. Thank you bros!

RoSoDude

Arcane
Replaying DS1 with mouse and keyboard controls using fixes and utilities suggested here (previously played on gamepad, several years ago), and it's so enjoyable. Locking on targets is completely unneeded, even movement feels better with mouselook for camera. Thank you bros!

Another :obviously: gentleman attests to the superiority of true M+KB controls in Dark Souls. Still waiting for all of the "Dark Souls is made for controller!!!!1" people to admit that this game should have shipped with functional PC controls from day one. Enjoy your Capra Demon and Ornstein & Smough fights where half the battle is against the camera controls, you mouthbreathing apologists.

...in all honesty, I'll probably do another run with the gamepad sometime just for the additional challenge/variety; I'm just bitter about all the people who told me it was pointless for anyone to bother implementing proper mouse controls. Thank god Methanhydrat, creator of DSIC, shared my frustration (bolding mine):

Interviewer: It’s hard for me to even imagine playing Dark Souls with a mouse; a gamepad is ingrained into my mind. Is there an advantage to using a mouse, or just preference?

Methanhydrat: This is something that always comes up when talking about the Souls games. Some people even go so far and claim that those games are impossible to be played with mouse and keyboard. This is of course nonsense. All the games can be played fine with mouse and keyboard from start to finish. It is of course undeniably true that you lose a little control of the movement, because you are trading an analog stick for binary keyboard input, but in practice this actually makes very little difference. The two relevant movement speeds can be specified with a modifier key and using the eight rolling directions the keyboard offers work perfectly well to do anything you need in those games. On the other hand, you gain fine control of the camera with a mouse, which makes some things such as aiming with a bow easier. But I would be the first to admit that this also does not have a major impact to the overall gameplay, unless maybe you are playing a bow-only build.

So for most people it is not about getting an advantage, but rather personal preference. I personally cannot stand using a controller for any game in which I have direct control over a 3D camera. Even though precise input is not necessary from a gameplay stand point, I am just more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard. One of the beautiful aspects of PC Gaming is that everyone can use the control scheme he or she prefers, even though it may deemed to be inferior by other people.

Thing is, when this game is no longer hard even on gamepad I might as well keep laying back comfortably in my chair. Proper PC interface on the other hand.. that could convince me to switch.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Another :obviously: gentleman attests to the superiority of true M+KB controls in Dark Souls. Still waiting for all of the "Dark Souls is made for controller!!!!1" people to admit that this game should have shipped with functional PC controls from day one. Enjoy your Capra Demon and Ornstein & Smough fights where half the battle is against the camera controls, you mouthbreathing apologists.

...in all honesty, I'll probably do another run with the gamepad sometime just for the additional challenge/variety; I'm just bitter about all the people who told me it was pointless for anyone to bother implementing proper mouse controls. Thank god Methanhydrat, creator of DSIC, shared my frustration (bolding mine):
Retards somehow think you can't move in more than 8 directions when you can control the camera perfectly with a mouse.

Probably because actually controlling the camera while doing anything else is impossible on a gamepad.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I finished ds1 yesterday, including dlc. Zwei, eastern armor and ninja-roll, unless some ring was required by environment (like The Abyss). Played KB + M throughout, i feel that was one of the reasons some bosses were manageable, for example ornstein+smough went down on the 1st try. Plus no problems during "platforming" sections. That's my second time with the game, first one was abandoned around half-way mark years ago. Enjoyed it.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I hope he put a bonfire in the lower part of New Londo Ruins. That's one of my biggest complaints about level design in DS1.

...of good levels, that is. There's no point even mentioning the shitfest that is Lost Izalith.

Beggar

Cipher
I hope he put a bonfire in the lower part of New Londo Ruins. That's one of my biggest complaints about level design in DS1.

...of good levels, that is. There's no point even mentioning the shitfest that is Lost Izalith.

What's wrong with New Londo Ruins? You can reach the bottom part just by jumping down. Or you can reach it with Valley of Drakes road

RoSoDude

Arcane

What's wrong with New Londo Ruins? You can reach the bottom part just by jumping down. Or you can reach it with Valley of Drakes road

Every route from a bonfire requires a long and boring elevator ride, even if you do the jump from the top part. There's no way around it. Putting a bonfire at the bottom would reward your progress through the tense upper part with all the ghosts, and give you a nice satisfying run to the Four Kings that isn't just waiting on elevator rides.

Rolo

Literate
Probably because actually controlling the camera while doing anything else is impossible on a gamepad.

Only if your basic motor skills are seriously impaired.
It does sound like a lazy thumb (in before fap joke) because adjusting your view point all the time is nothing special even on a gamepad. In fact, Dark Souls is a poor example as the attack keys aren't on the face buttons precisely so you can look around while attacking.

All that post says is "I'm uncomfortable with a gamepad" which is fine if you are an M&K fan, but that leads to a serious overestimate of the amount of skill / effort needed, even if the attack keys did use the front buttons. Your thumb jumping between the stick and face buttons all the time so you can do whatever and still watch your surroundings is not notewhorthy in any way if you are used to gamepads for 3D games.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Until I checked its source, I legitimately thought that whole video was just a gag to trick people into thinking there's a Solaire Amiibo. Joke's on me I guess.

praetor

Arcane
that's probably the worst "remaster" i've ever seen. it looks pretty much exactly the same as the original with DSfix enabled and a couple of texture packs. definitely not giving them any money. this is some serious :decline:

Arnust

Savant
Well, based on around half the discourse about it that's exactly what people wanted. Exactly the same shit. In fact, that's what they wanted of the other games in the series and the subgenre, too :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom