Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Mikeal

Arcane
Remaster that's looks and works worse than original version? This is so typical for japanese developers.

DemonKing

Arcane
Fucking called it. They did nothing with the game.
That's not quite true. They went to great effort to make it look worse than the original.

ump17NK.jpg

I think they messed up and labelled them incorrectly in the video because the right version looks a lot more like the original to me.

Remaster looks incredibly lazy - it would have been nice for even a couple of quality of life improvements like being able to teleport around via the bonfires as you can do in the sequels. This doesn't even look like bargain bin stuff to me.

Okagron

Prophet
I expected that quality from the Switch version (inferior hardware and all), but the PS4 Pro of all things? Jeez.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You guise blind or what ? check the pc version not the console version, all of other videoes posted are from console

the textures and lighting are superior

1:06 shows how good it looks

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
The best part is that people are going to shell out regardless. And you know the best part? It's going to get WAAAAAY less shit than SOTFS. Looking forward to five years in where the DS2 and DS3 "remasters" are sold episodically or some shit.

The best part, the very best is how almost objectively the most dated and fucking annoying thing in DS1, + directional rolling when on lock-on, is UNTOUCHED. I swear, if at least 8-directional rolling had been added I'd have co side red to give this a spin.

Also covenants can be switched at the bonfire.

It could only be a bigger decline if they released a mobile app too where you can level up, switch covenants and buy more consumables for just 9,99.
Eh, all covenants have its respective nearby bonfire already and before getting the Lordvessel you're not even going to really need to switch among the little you'll have found. Nevermind the Sin and derank penalty seem to be left in, why would you want to leave a covenant you're interested in before getting its rewards? Let's be real, it's to have spergs waste the least time between PvP fucking around, an intelligent decision considering that's the only reason for this product to exsist.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The best part is that people are going to shell out regardless.

I will buy this shit only if they finish the Izalith area. Otherwise there is no point.

Haven't you read the patch notes? There aren't any changes like that, not even close.

They were busy adding a single redundant bonfire in a non PvP frequented area before the easiest (relatively to when you get to him) boss in the game.

You can get to Vamos (once you discover him) in like 3 minutes.

With From being what they are today we better not wish for a DeS remaster. They would shove a bonfire in every orifice of every level.

Arnust

Savant
The best part is that people are going to shell out regardless.

I will buy this shit only if they finish the Izalith area. Otherwise there is no point.

Haven't you read the patch notes? There aren't any changes like that, not even close.

They were busy adding a single redundant bonfire in a non PvP frequented area before the easiest (relatively to when you get to him) boss in the game.

You can get to Vamos (once you discover him) in like 3 minutes.
Vamos isn't even particularly useful, he does the fire infusions that are redundant for like level 20 and sells some nicknacks.

As for the DeS remaster, I actually have higher hopes for that. It's Sony's baby and while being a bit grubby, their remasters haven't really screwed the pooch. It's not like From has any say it doing in any of this, anyway, besides approbation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not like From has any say it doing in any of this, anyway, besides approbation.

I don't wanna bash From too much but both projects started under Miyazaki as their president - DS3 and DS1 Remaster - feel like EA level cynical cash grab without a shred of any soul or passion that made their previous games so awesome.

Could be a coincidence, a bad luck. If their next project - the one with the bloody bone in the trailer - is just as soulless we'll know for sure.

praetor

Arcane
what does DS1 remaster have to do with From? it's done by a polish company and published by Bamco. From has nothing with it other than providing the source material

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what does DS1 remaster have to do with From? it's done by a polish company and published by Bamco. From has nothing with it other than providing the source material

Virtuous is porting the game to Switch and QLOC for the consoles and PC, but FROM Software is overseeing both teams and approving the changes.

From isn't developing anything themselves but it's not a totally independent Bamco project either. Seems From has a final say.

Arnust

Savant
It's not like From has any say it doing in any of this, anyway, besides approbation.

I don't wanna bash From too much but both projects started under Miyazaki as their president - DS3 and DS1 Remaster - feel like EA level cynical cash grab without a shred of any soul or passion that made their previous games so awesome.

Could be a coincidence, a bad luck. If their next project - the one with the bloody bone in the trailer - is just as soulless we'll know for sure.
Well From also sells a whole ~1.5 of an area as paid DLC now soo... However, as much as I like DS2, it too was a pretty clear cashgrab while they were working on the other games, mainly Bloodborne. It just happened to turn out somewhere between mostly alright and godlike. Arguably same thing for SOTFS. Shit like it and say, New Vegas, are definitively the exception on the norm of rushed shit to fit between projects to get some mileage out of hot IP and keep the hype up, but it's dissapointing nonetheless.

Arnust

Savant
However, as much as I like DS2, it too was a pretty clear cashgrab

No, there's a world of difference between making a sequel of something successful and a cashgrab. Only fools don't do the former and only assholes do the latter.
In the world of today, that's kind of a tomato tomato deal. But you're right.

Murk

Arcane
So watched some gameplay of it from some obnoxious asshats and it's... a fucking scam. Beamdog's lessons have been learned, I guess.

DemonKing

Arcane
So watched some gameplay of it from some obnoxious asshats and it's... a fucking scam.

I read a few previews today and it's looking that way. When even paid shills are struggling to say good things the only conclusion can be it's not so much of a remaster as a cash grab.

Worst thing is it will destroy the online community as people who currently own the game won't be upgraded (or see the value in upgrading) meaning the player base will be split as new players will inevitably grab a "remastered" version over the original.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Stop whining. Torrent on release date and that's it

Um...why would you torrent a game whose only reason to exist is an improved multiplayer?
Dark Souls had awesome single player. Why would someone play it for MP only? Use DS2 for duels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom