Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Oh relax, I am goofing around. Although, it would be interesting to see you defeat Centipede Demon in melee with a sword and without blocking. I mean, technically, anything is possible, some guy beat the whole game without dodging or parrying once, but it's difficult to imagine.

Oh relax, I am goofing around. Although, it would be interesting to see you defeat Centipede Demon in melee with a sword and without blocking. I mean, technically, anything is possible, some guy beat the whole game without dodging or parrying once, but it's difficult to imagine.

Go to youtube, get like 100 results for this sort of thing.

a-cat-is-fine-too_o_3528121.jpg

Dragon waifus are best waifus though.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's really not that hard.

Meh, talk is cheap. Everything is easy, until you dive into the details. Then it turns out you guys summoned Solaire, grinded yourself into all sorts of meta-game crap, used some cheese approach, etc. I do it au naturel. ;)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
No, really, meleeing Centipede is just not that hard. Once you get past the shock of the fuck-off flailing limbs it's pretty easy to avoid the foot stomps.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
One reason most beginners find some enemies too hard to dodge is that they just mash R1 until they see that the boss starts an attack. And if the boss' attack is fast and your last attack hasn't finished yet, it's too late to dodge even if you mash the dodge button before the boss' attack connects.

Sometimes it's a good idea to just attack once or twice and back away preemptively if you are dealing with fast enemy attacks. And especially if you know that a boss is going to stomp you after you attack its legs.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I hardly remember fighting Centipede Demon and I know that I went melee with no summons.

A lot of time has passed. Becomes easy after a while to confuse the Centipede Demon with, oh I don't know, the Asylum Demon? :smug: I too meleed that one, my friends.

Made my way yesterday through the Tomb of Giants to Gaylord Nito's crib. God I hate that place already. The lack of light wouldn't be so bad if there weren't those dog skeletons every 2 steps, just sitting there like mimes. There is one particularly fun patch right after you kill Patches (well, I did anyway). There is one dog skeleton next to a ledge (just in case you decide to roll), followed by a skeleton archer, 2 more dog skeletons, and a black knight. Lots of fun was had the first time I ran into that. While the two skeleton poodles were putting me in the juicer of their limbs, and i had arrows sticking out of my front like a reversed porcupine, and then the black knight ran up, and I could almost swear I heard his AI laugh.

Anyways, I used a glowing pebble as a target marker to mark the first skeleton dog, and took him out with archery from a distant ledge. Then did the same to the archer. Parried the knight to death after pulling him out. Then, I was able to shadow-step the other dogs.

Those midget skeletons in front of Nito's room are amusing too. Do they infini-spawn when you step in the water? That's the impression that I got. Now I just figured out a way to run directly from the second bonfire to Nito without any fighting.

Died a couple of times to Nito. His buttblast is pretty annoying, though it does clear the room from his minions. Gonna be a tough one.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
There is one particularly fun patch right after you kill Patches (well, I did anyway). There is one dog skeleton next to a ledge (just in case you decide to roll), followed by a skeleton archer, 2 more dog skeletons, and a black knight. Lots of fun was had the first time I ran into that.
I know what you're referring to. You could've left it at the first sentence, and I would've known what you were referring to. :argh:
Those midget skeletons in front of Nito's room are amusing too. Do they infini-spawn when you step in the water?
They do. Some people like to farm Humanity there, I've read, since you don't have to return to a bonfire as long as you don't run out of Estus.

That's good to know, I've been doing rat runs in the Depths to get Humanity, and it's not that great. Patches also dropped 4 Humanity when I punished him for being a naughty bastard.

Yeah, I figured that stretch with the dog skeletons gave everyone PTSD. Gets a lot easier once you realize you can walk past most of them.

Jezal_k23

Tomb of the Giants is the most unsettling place in the Souls games. Creepy as fuck. Also breathtaking when you see the Demon Ruins and the Ash Lake in the distance.

The Nito fight is probably the most knowledge based fight in the entire game. Meaning, when you just go into it, it seems ridiculously difficult, but with some knowledge, it's probably one of the easiest fights in the game.

I was getting raped by the combination of Nito's attacks and his freaking re-spawning minions. I tried some things, like killing the summoners/sorcerers outside his cave, thinking that might stop the skellies from re-spawning, but it didnt help. Also, rolling/dodging/ranged did not help at all, since after a while all his skeletons just wedge you in somewhere and you can't even move.

Finally looked it up online (I am not proud, but I had a long day yesterday, so short fuse). So basically a divine weapon puts them down for good, just like with the necros at the catacombs, and if you stay at the beginning part of the cave where you drop in, only the 3 small skellies aggro, the big ones in the back do not.

So once I put down the minions, it gave me a chance to experiment with the Gaylord himself. His attacks are super slooow and easy to dodge, but the miasma butt blast isn't. So I finally started using the Crest Shield to block it. It has like 80% magic blocking, worked like a charm. After that, 2 tries, and Nito was gone (ran out of estus on the first).

Funny thing happened in between. I had to go Human in between, to kindle the bonfire nearby. So as I was running to his cave in human form, some asshole decided to invade my world. I go oh crap, and realize im equipped with the Crest Shield and the Divine polearm, two things I never actually use for fighting, only equipped them for this specific boss fight. So I open up the inventory, and hurriedly replace them with my normal arms, hoping this dude won't attack me while im helpless like that.

Just managed to do it, he comes running in, BOOM perfect parry, take most of his health on the riposte, followed up by a finisher. Felt pretty good, in between Nito's bullshit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Meaning, when you just go into it, it seems ridiculously difficult
he's actually not that hard even without divine weapon and with aggroed enemies. However, the fact that you take a ton of damage just by falling into arena, and Nito's sword-from-beneath attack makes this fight a bit of bullshit.

So once I put down the minions, it gave me a chance to experiment with the Gaylord himself.
He's Ravelord.

ravelord-nito-gif-10.gif

Funny thing happened in between. I had to go Human in between, to kindle the bonfire nearby. So as I was running to his cave in human form, some asshole decided to invade my world. I go oh crap, and realize im equipped with the Crest Shield and the Divine polearm, two things I never actually use for fighting, only equipped them for this specific boss fight. So I open up the inventory, and hurriedly replace them with my normal arms, hoping this dude won't attack me while im helpless like that.

Just managed to do it, he comes running in, BOOM perfect parry, take most of his health on the riposte, followed up by a finisher. Felt pretty good, in between Nito's bullshit.
That was an NPC invader, Paladin Jenkins.

All of the lord bosses are pretty easy if you have a well-developed character. Soft-capped health, decent armor, +15 weapon, maxed estus, you just chew through them fairly quickly while not being too endangered. The difficulty sort of flatlines after Penn & Teller. Not that this is a bad thing. DaS2 and (so far, playing it now) DaS3 still ramp up into what would be NG+ territory for DaS1 where everything, boss or non-boss, 2-hits you regardless of health or armor and maxed enchanted weapons are basically assumed to get through enemy HP bars in decent time. And this is why NG+ is crap.

Silva

Arcane
What area backs the unsettling atmosphere with greatest difficulty though?

Tower of Latria?
Tomb?
New Londo?
Upper Cathedral?

Consider only the first couple times you got there. Everything is easy when you become a vet.

I've been farming New Londo today for Titanite Chunks. Fuck those Darkwraith Knights. I will kill like 6-7 straight, then the 8th will get past my parries and kill me. If you fail on the first parry, they start winding up like a tasmanian devil.

Found where the Four Kings are. Figured out the Abyss Ring thing myself with the help of some orange markers. Had one fight against them, and I don't want to go back there.

I think I will go visit the Painted World first, and maybe the expansion stuff, and then come back.

Silva

Arcane
Four Kings is a matter of speed. Try to kill the first before the next show up, and so on.

I've been farming New Londo today for Titanite Chunks. Fuck those Darkwraith Knights. I will kill like 6-7 straight, then the 8th will get past my parries and kill me. If you fail on the first parry, they start winding up like a tasmanian devil.
Bingo. That's why I consider Darkwraiths so dangerous, specially for the Dex/Luck builds I usually do. You miss a parry or dodge and it's bye-bye. Giants in the tomb are tough as hell but more predictable. Brain suckers in cathedral are like Darkwraiths, though. One wrong move and you're dead.

Coincidence or not, all those enemies are worst than bosses when in numbers. I remember that grave in the tomb with half a dozen giants (that you locate by the shining eyes). Or that Isz chalice with 2 or 3 brainsuckers in the same room. Scary.

Sadly, DS3 made Darkwraiths easy-peasy. I think that's due to the player super speed and dodge.

I think the worst enemies for a parry build are ones with varying attack speeds. Like the first Darkwraith attack is usually very slow with a high delay, but the subsequent attacks are super fast. Silver Knights with spears are also that way, a super quick thrust alternating with a super slow twirl. You have to work hard to keep your mind from entering the high-speed or slow-speed mindset.

Whereas something like a Hollow Thief attacks super fast, but pretty much always does, so you can anticipate and parry early to catch him.

Parrying buckler of course. With that and Ricard's Rapier, I feel like nothing can stop me. Until something does. 45 times.

Cleared out the Painted World of Ariamis yesterday. Interesting place. The undead dragon on the long walkway scared the living crap out of me. When he wakes up and starts moving toward you on the walkway really fast, it's spooky.

Pretty easy fight after that though, just hide behind one of the lamposts, and shoot him full of arrows.

Priscilla seemed pretty nice, so I did not attack her. Think I am going to hit the DLC area next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom