Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/dark-souls-ii

Dark Souls 2 gets annouced at VGA awards!

:yeah: :yeah::yeah:
And this time PC release since day one, so it belongs in CRPG now. :smug: (ok, apparently Jaesun disagrees...)

Still, not everything is bliss:

Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series

This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game,” said Tomohiro Shibuya, From’s director for the Dark Souls sequel.
Yeah, not only a lot of talk on innovation & new players, but the game director has changed, Hidetaka Miyazaki is out and now Tomohiro Shibuya, a unknown guy that worked for some Monster Hunter games and on Resident Evil:Outbreak wil take the lead.... not great signs, but I'll remain hopefull and fap furiously anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColCol

Arcane
But...But.....I haven't even had time to play the first one. :cry:

ShlongMaster

Educated
I loved Dark Souls, but I'm cynical as to how the game will turn out, I expect some "streamlining" and other random "improvements" to make the game more accessible etc.

Haven't people already learnt that whenever a game studio drops that same old shit of staying faithful to their core audience while making it more accessible/fun/scalable to a new audience then things go sour. Can't please everyone, and making sacrifices to accommodate very different types of players ends up in a watered down game that is mediocre to everyone.

I'm not saying that it's the case in this instance, there is still far too little information for that, regardless I smell :declining:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, not only a lot of talk on innovation & new players, but the game director has changed, Hidetaka Miyazaki is out and now Tomohiro Shibuya, a unknown guy that worked for some Monster Hunter games and on Resident Evil:Outbreak wil take the lead.... not great signs, but I'll remain hopefull and fap furiously anyway.

Did a bit of digging on this guy, massive red flags. He's credited on Monster Hunter 1 and Freedom 2, but as the lead design for a company called 'Digital Artists Guild'. In other words, he's in charge of cutscenes. He was also a background artist for a really horrid jrpg on the PS2. I couldn't find anything crediting him for actual gameplay design or anything but teh grafix.

I mean, maybe we'll get lucky and he's actually undiscovered talent, but the safe money says that he's just some asshat that wishes he was making movies, and got the position by kissing the right asses.

Well, we know basically know nothing so far, since all we got was some pointless video and the fact that they named it '2', implying some sort of continuity (which is fine imo, since the setting established for Dark Souls is big and interesting.) And of course marketing speech is just meaningless. I'm sure if you do some digging you can find some marketing dick promising to bring in new players for pretty much any game made in the last 10 years. It's just a line for the investors, same as the shit about being faithful is a line for the fanbase. The only thing that matters is what they actually end up doing, words aren't worth shit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Cautiously hopeful. Not happy with the new director, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Maybe he'll breathe in some fresh air while retaining all the good aspects of the game? The trailer has an even more "western RPG" feel to it. Like, if you'd slap Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age at the end instead of Dark Souls, I probably wouldn't know the difference. I'm also somehow getting a vibe from the cinematic that they are trying to concern themselves with telling us a more personal story, but who knows. The plus side is that they are doing a PC version on release day. After playing Dark Souls on my PC I never want to go back to the consoles. Oh, and the new environments look fantastic. I know it's CGI, but at least it'll give us a bit of an idea as to what kind of places we will be exploring this time. Stalagmite & stalactite caves are cool.

deuxhero

Arcane
I have no idea if it is accurate, but Moby Games says he worked on Ultima Underworld...'s PC-98 port.

Like, if you'd slap Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age at the end instead of Dark Souls, I probably wouldn't know the difference.

And took out the view of Anor Londo.

There wasn't nearly enough derp to pass for either though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You're right, it didn't have any derp to it. It was good. But it lacked the usual DARKNESS and hopeless feel that the previous games had.

ShlongMaster

Educated
I have to admit though, I'm glad the armor designs are looking as awesome as usual. Most of the armor sets in DS were top notch, hopefully that is something that will continue in DS 2.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
If it contains any sign of console pad's buttons and requires pad to play, go fuck yourselves.

It's nice to watch fantasy setting that's not candy fag shop or "fuck man that's deep", but all about dark dragons, mountains and a fucking man with a sword, killing stuff.

Skyrim failed to deliver, as it's babysitting and more about making a furfag family and collecting herbs.

ShlongMaster

Educated
Did they actually confirm day 1 PC release?

No dates seem to be set as of yet for any platform, I would expect a slightly delayed pc release, I'm guessing that the pc version of DS did well enough to either warrant a simultaneous release or a short release time window between versions.

In regards to the new director. Apparently Miyazaki is overseeing the project alongside the new guy Tomohiro Shibuya, so it would appear that he is not out of the picture, which is definitely good news as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:

I'm also reading the Czech eurogamer article and from what I understand they say that "as opposed to the previous Dark Souls which was ported to pc, From Soft have plans to release Dark Souls 2 on pc right from the start". My translation is probably a bit wonky in english, but as Czech is my native language the way that it worded originally hints at them doing a simultaneous release, at this time it's all speculation though. According to the article Miyazaki remains as the head project director.

There's also some mention of overhauled network/Multiplayer stuff, but it's very brief and doesn't really amount to much.
Don't hold me acountable whether or not these things prove to be accurate though, I'm just going from the article.

Here's a link to the eurogamer article which then links to the Czech article, google translate if you are so inclined :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-08-dark-souls-2-officially-announced

deuxhero

Arcane
From darksoulsii.com

DARK SOULS®Ⅱ & ©2012 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. ©2011-2012 FromSoftware, Inc. NAMCO BANDAI Games logo is a trademark of NAMCO BANDAI. “PlayStation”, the “PS” Family logo and “PS3” are registered trademarks and the PlayStation Network logo is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. KINECT, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies and are used under license from Microsoft. All other trademarks and trade names are the property of their respective owners.

Hopefully just another way to use gesture commands like sixaxis was.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I really don't get why From didn't put Miyazaki back on as game director, why not include the guy who played a large part in creating your company's best selling and highest rated games?

Japanese businessmen:roll:

My only complaint about the first game was that it was too short (yeah, sure, it lasted me a long time - but I couldn't shake the feeling that there should have been more, most likely a sign of how good the game itself was) - so I'm optimistic about this announcement.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.
Aka "we want skyrim's audience."

Casual Souls confirmed. Interest in game dwindling fast.

Malpercio

Arcane
Press [X] to kill Ornstein in this awesome looking cs!

But seriously, day one for me, hopefully my PC will be able to play it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not PC-exclusive, wrong forum :killit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom