Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Perkel

Arcane
Hyperion yeah your comment is borderline retarded. DS2 has input lag which is ridiculous.

DS2 has the worst hit detection in the series especially for things enemies that aren't glitched.

Lost Bastille is fine and I like it but it has the worst example of gank in the entirety of Souls 2.

It is not input lag.

Game literally has huge deadzones all around that basically makes your movement 8 directional instead of 360d. Which is btw same for camera control with terrible acceleration.

You have to literally use mod to fix that on PC. Console versions naturally are fucked due to that.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
what are your favorite builds? I've only really enjoyed the samurai-like (Uchigatana type). Don't like heavy 2 handed weapons, or daggers, and I never fuck with magic. How are pugilist builds? I really enjoy dodging, sneaking hits in, and getting out. high risk high reward.
Pugilist is very rewarding because of stunlocks, but the hitboxes are horrible quite often and you struggle to land any hit against some enemies.

Seaking4

Learned
I just finished replaying Dark Souls 1 (and by finished I mean stopping after Anor Londo of course) and decided to give DS2 another NG shot. I've already replayed on NG+ but I wanted to start fresh. God damn this game is good. Coming from DS1, it is clear the world/level design is lacking but it introduces so many gameplay/UI improvements that it more than adequately compensates for the lower quality level design. This is why the DLC is so ridiculously popular/good. It combines god tier level design with the DS2 gameplay improvements. It is the stuff of legends.

Also, anyone complaining about the gank squads in DS2 is nuts. DS2 has the same style of game traps as the first game. For example, in DS1 right at the end of Blighttown there are two dogs guarding a fire keeper soul and if you engage them then two dogs that were just out of sight come up behind you (they're right below a small decline so you can't see them) and sandwich you. DS2 does the same thing in many areas yet for some reason people shit on DS2 for doing it and not DS1. It may have more but just like in DS1, you can see them coming if you play cautiously and don't just run in there guns a blazing every time.

Murk

Arcane
I am a small dicked faggot who uses katanas

That's cool dude, tell us more.

Seriously though, fist weapons used to be p OP when staggering was easier. Vanq Seal is still strong. My personal favorite is regular axes, for both PVM and PVP, but also enjoy using greathammers (or regular hammers) in PVM.

Hyperion

Arcane
Powerstanced Majestic Greatsword + any of the Ultra Greatswords is always lots of fun. Throw in a Defender's Shield, Dragonrider's Bow in your off-hand slots, and you can't go wrong. Can even use a Black Witch Staff for ultimate versatility since you need like 24 Int / Fth to Powerstance the MGS.

Seriously though, fist weapons used to be p OP when staggering was easier. Vanq Seal is still strong. My personal favorite is regular axes, for both PVM and PVP, but also enjoy using greathammers (or regular hammers) in PVM.

I invade with dark infused dark buffed chaos blade then after I kill the enemy in 3 hits or two counters I spam the "no way" gesture over their dead body.

This is why ds2 is better than ds3.

abija

Prophet
It is not input lag.

Game literally has huge deadzones all around that basically makes your movement 8 directional instead of 360d. Which is btw same for camera control with terrible acceleration.

You have to literally use mod to fix that on PC. Console versions naturally are fucked due to that.
No idea if they fixed it but at release mouse events had input lag. Using ahk or drivers to map mouse clicks to kb would fire the actions much quicker.

Perkel

Arcane
It is not input lag.

No idea if they fixed it but at release mouse events had input lag. Using ahk or drivers to map mouse clicks to kb would fire the actions much quicker.

You play K+M so you are already playing 8 directional mode as wasd isn't able to give you 360d. But yeah there was input lag at release of game.

Perkel

Arcane
Not everyone is a target locked pleb like you.

Target locked plebs don't mind 8 directions.
Having 360 control over where your character swings is crucial to non-lock targeting.

IF DS would be controled with mouse as camera pointer instead of camera move you would have the case (like Enclave or Rune) but in DS AD isn't strafe unless you lock.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Perkel Wait... so this dead angle thing you keep talking about... it's the limited attack directions? You think this is a bug?

Ivan More of a utilitarian but the katana style is prob my favourite. Just not with katanas lol. Rapiers and falchions are more my thing. Favourite pvp build is rapier and katana in offhand tho.. so kinda counts. Mostly I love weapons with good running attacks. Greathammers and Red Iron Twinblade are pretty awesome strength weapons that you can use in a katana-like way. Assuming you don't depend on trading. Strongly recommend checking them out if you fancy something different yet similar. Especially dual wielding with any combination of katana, rapier or falchion/scimitar. It's like the katana style but interesting :) Der Tobio has some awesome dual wielding videos. Here's one with a katana + pike (Pate's spear?):

Corporate_Jew_Master So what happens when you invade someone with a similar get up? I feel your pain tho. It's not like the good ol' days with Dark Moon Blade. Or the new shit with DMB + wombo combos. That's some deep tacticools right there.

Hyperion Yeah that's pretty cool. MG + Washingpole ain't bad either. My fav 'big bastard' combos involve the curved nil greatsword tho. It gives you a special spinny move like the warped sword. FUGS for style and Smelter Sword for fun. The special move triggers Smelter's fire attack :)

I made a video for those still bitching about Horse Rape Alley. Seriously that place is piss easy if you think/experiment/listen to the codex:

Perkel

Arcane
bug ? No. Just really fucking dumb design decision.
To this day it is only game in SoulsBourne that has it.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Well that's cleared something up for me, thanks.

EDit: R.E. Fistycuffs. Another good thing they have going for them is recovery speed and low stamina use. Get's a bit boring imo but they're very good for bosses surprisingly enough. Can be a pain in the arse to hit things sometimes but you need some kind of drawback. The advantages are very real and it's better than a piss-shit damage nerf.

abija

Prophet
Not everyone is a target locked pleb like you.

Target locked plebs don't mind 8 directions.
Having 360 control over where your character swings is crucial to non-lock targeting.

IF DS would be controled with mouse as camera pointer instead of camera move you would have the case (like Enclave or Rune) but in DS AD isn't strafe unless you lock.

No idea wtf you played but for movement and melee attacks you have full 360 control with k&m. Which was my point, no need to lock on targets.

praetor

Arcane
Perkel Wait... so this dead angle thing you keep talking about... it's the limited attack directions? You think this is a bug?

wtf is he talking about again? dead angling is definitely in DeS and DaS1, it doesn't exist in DaS2 (which is a good decision since guard breaking is so easy), and i don't know if it does in DaS3 since i haven't played much PvP because it's so fucking shit. unless (like it often happens), he means something completely different by "dead angle" and not the commonly used definition that is used by every normal human being

seriously, don't listen to Perkel when it comes to Souls games. he's one of the biggest dumbfucks around

Corporate_Jew_Master So what happens when you invade someone with a similar get up?

latest

Falksi

Arcane
I just finished replaying Dark Souls 1 (and by finished I mean stopping after Anor Londo of course) and decided to give DS2 another NG shot. I've already replayed on NG+ but I wanted to start fresh. God damn this game is good. Coming from DS1, it is clear the world/level design is lacking but it introduces so many gameplay/UI improvements that it more than adequately compensates for the lower quality level design. This is why the DLC is so ridiculously popular/good. It combines god tier level design with the DS2 gameplay improvements. It is the stuff of legends.

Also, anyone complaining about the gank squads in DS2 is nuts. DS2 has the same style of game traps as the first game. For example, in DS1 right at the end of Blighttown there are two dogs guarding a fire keeper soul and if you engage them then two dogs that were just out of sight come up behind you (they're right below a small decline so you can't see them) and sandwich you. DS2 does the same thing in many areas yet for some reason people shit on DS2 for doing it and not DS1. It may have more but just like in DS1, you can see them coming if you play cautiously and don't just run in there guns a blazing every time.

Top post. Whilst the atmosphere and world if DS1 is undoubtedly better than DS2 (although not by much Imo), DS2's gameplay makes it the best of all the souls games for me.

Murk

Arcane

I invade with dark infused dark buffed chaos blade then after I kill the enemy in 3 hits or two counters I spam the "no way" gesture over their dead body.

This is why ds2 is better than ds3.

You are doing the lord's work, make sure to use the 2nd life spell and hide behind NPC enemies at all times as well. o7

Seaking4

Learned
I finally got around to replaying the Sunken King and Iron King DLC. I remembered thinking that Sunken King was great but it's ridiculous how good it was. It's just as good as the Iron King DLC. Both these games are these ludicrously good dungeon crawls that finish with great boss fights. They combined the best level design (great shortcuts, optional routes and enemy encounters) with some of the best bosses in DS1 or 2. I still have the last DLC left but I recall that one being my least favourite. I loved it up until you cleared away the blowing snow/wind. Although I didn't remember liking Sunken King as much as a did this time around so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised once more.

I even managed to solo the challenge path gank squad edition. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It just involves lots of running in circles.

I could understand if you didn't like DS2 on release (I didn't play it until it Scholar of the First Sin came out) because I heard it had it's share of problems and obviously the DLC wasn't released. However, if you played SotFS and liked Dark Souls but dislike DS2 then you are just trying way way way too hard (or worse, you're just a DS1 fanboy).

It's kind of awesome how many weapons are viable in this game too. You run across so many different kinds of weapons and I have no problem using almost any of them in a fight. DS1 felt a bit limited in this regard but in DS2 I find myself changing weapons often now just to spice things up and it's so much fun. I seriously think the mace might be my favourite weapon in this game.

sullynathan

Arcane
DS1 felt a bit limited in this regard
It didn't, Souls 2 has far better combat than DS1 but DS1's weapons aren't really limited.

I still have the last DLC left but I recall that one being my least favourite.
This DLC was my favorite purely because I liked the bosses weapon when I got it, but in hindsight, I really think its the weakest.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is supposed to be a DS2 event for rerolling a new char this weekend and just for the fun of it I made my character and started playing... this game has the reputation of beign the black sheep of the Souls games (and arguably it is) but damn is it still a pretty good fucking game. The combat feels weighter more realistic and tactical than flipping around in full armor
And speaking of armor, actually beign able to tank a hit is fucking satisfying to beign able to pick a heavy ass armor and trading blows with big ass enemies without staggering like an idiot if a hollow pricks you with a broken dagger (here is looking at you DS3)
I am enjoying the game very much and even a not so stellar Souls game is better than 90% of the shit out there

Seaking4

Learned
DS1 felt a bit limited in this regard
It didn't, Souls 2 has far better combat than DS1 but DS1's weapons aren't really limited.

I still have the last DLC left but I recall that one being my least favourite.
This DLC was my favorite purely because I liked the bosses weapon when I got it, but in hindsight, I really think its the weakest.

I meant more that the number of weapons were limited. The weapons feel fine in DS1 but it did not seem like as many of them were viable in either PVE or PVP. With DS2, there are just so many different weapons that it's really fun to just mess around with.

I do think it's the weakest as well (having just finished it again) but it's still a strong level on its own. I think they nail the atmosphere with the blowing snow at the beginning and having you do the level a 2nd time with the snow melted and more enemies was a neat trick. I enjoyed how getting the eye of the priestess made the unseen enemies in Shaded Woods appear human. That's a nice attention to detail.

I was just thinking back on DS2 and the individual level design is underrated. Sure the game doesn't have the interconnected world of DS1 which is a massive shame but many of the levels themselves don't get the credit they deserve for being just as good as they were in DS1. For example, No Man's Wharf is just a really solid level from start to finish. They are some nice traps with enemies hanging off the edge, and ambushes. It has good environmental reactivity with the oil drums and the enemies that are scared of fire. It has three npcs, a shortcut, and caps it off with a solid boss fight. It's not the best level in the game but it's the kind of level that flew under the radar because of the world design even though it is good from start to finish. Sure DS2 has some clunkers (notably the first half of the Iron Keep which is just terribly boring) but at least it also has nothing as bad as Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins.

I'm just hoping they put DS3 on sale sometime soon so I can give it a go.

Edit: I forgot to mention that of all the challenge paths I think the one in the Ivory King DLC is by far the most difficult. Reaching the Smelter Demon 2.0 or the Gank Squad solo is relatively easy and then it's just a matter of the boss fights but the frigid wastes is a nightmare. And then it is capped off by a really hard boss fight. It's essentially two Aavas but one also has the ability to power up. I have difficulty imagining anyone pulling that off. Of course, if I youtube 'frigid wastes solo' I'll find a video of someone pulling it off on NG+7 at SL1 without getting hit once so who the hell knows...

Last edited:

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar

wtf is he talking about again? dead angling is definitely in DeS and DaS1, it doesn't exist in DaS2 (which is a good decision since guard breaking is so easy), and i don't know if it does in DaS3 since i haven't played much PvP because it's so fucking shit. unless (like it often happens), he means something completely different by "dead angle" and not the commonly used definition that is used by every normal human being

seriously, don't listen to Perkel when it comes to Souls games. he's one of the biggest dumbfucks around

My bad.. not that dead angling. I can't be arsed to look up the exact phrase he used but it was to do with the joystick having dead zones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom