Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Didn't Scholar add a bunch of bullshit as well though?

I only played the SOTFS version so I can't comment on the original. That said, DS2 often reminded me of my childhood attempts at level design: "I'll put an enemy here, and there, and five more there, and and and..." :happytrollboy:

Didn't Scholar add a bunch of bullshit as well though? Like, OP NPC phantoms and crap?
I should probably pick that up as well.
they changed fuckton of encounters and items placement. 99% changes were improvement. iron keep not so much :lol:

for example velstadt is not guarded anymore by 7 syan knights. there is non respawning dragonrider and only 2 knights.

playing vanilla ds2 instead of sotfs :lol::salute:
I've only played SOTFS, but even codexers say that the original DS2 with DLC was the better version.
who says that? faggs bitching about muh hordes of enemies and ambushes? implying ds1/3 were not full of them

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Didn't Scholar add a bunch of bullshit as well though? Like, OP NPC phantoms and crap?
they changed fuckton of encounters and items placement. 99% changes were improvement. iron keep not so much :lol:

for example velstadt is not guarded anymore by 7 syan knights. there is non respawning dragonrider and only 2 knights.

I've only played SOTFS, but even codexers say that the original DS2 with DLC was the better version.
who says that? faggs bitching about muh hordes of enemies and ambushes? implying ds1/3 were not full of them

are those 2 knights and rider right in front of the door though? Because that was one of the problems of that area. You just couldn't run past them to the boss door in the original without getting spit roasted.

Arnust

Savant

are those 2 knights and rider right in front of the door though? Because that was one of the problems of that area. You just couldn't run past them to the boss door in the original without getting spit roasted.
You can, if you can press the run button and have not let the bell ring.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

You can, if you can press the run button and have not let the bell ring.

I did run though. When I get to the door their attacks knock me out of the animation and still damage me. That's the problem. I can get to the door just fine, its that I can't get through it because of those 2 motherfuckers right in front of it who keep cancelling my animation.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I didn't have problems running past them in SOTFS.

I'm talking about the original. I haven't played Scholar yet.
If you haven't had trouble they probably designed it better.
In the original you have 7 syan knights. 2 with halberds, 3 with swords behind them and 2 with halberds right in front of the fog gate.

Arnust

Savant
In the original you have 7 syan knights. 2 with halberds, 3 with swords behind them and 2 with halberds right in front of the fog gate.
It's called "kiting", though. You aggro them, run around the statues and enter the fog gate without harm. You had to do it for DS1 too, you know. And I've played both versions. I'd say that both are just as hard as Dragonriders take no shit, but it dying permanently it's not big of an issue.

praetor

Arcane

the only codexer who thinks vanilla is better than SotFS is Perkel, but he's a monumental retard and his reasons for liking it more make no sense whatsoever (other than the changes to IK, which pretty much everyone thinks are garbage) and contradict the reality we live in. he's also an excellent specimen of the homo irrationalis muhyazaki fanboyus species

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It's called "kiting", though. You aggro them, run around the statues and enter the fog gate without harm. You had to do it for DS1 too, you know. And I've played both versions. I'd say that both are just as hard as Dragonriders take no shit, but it dying permanently it's not big of an issue.

Kiting Doesn't work. When I try that the knights refused to go far from the door. The first 5 will chase you all around the area, but the ones in front of the door stay put.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Kiting Doesn't work. When I try that the knights refused to go far from the door. The first 5 will chase you all around the area, but the ones in front of the door stay put.

They have a button. It lets you roll. You should check it out. Assuming you seriously can't kill those guys. :lol:

I can't roll and activate the fog gate at the same time
I can kill them.
I can dodge them.
I can't walk through the gate because there's a lengthy animation when activating it and they hit me out during it. I do survive, its just that I then have to retreat, heal, and waste my time clearing the path. Its not hard to understand. I already explained my dilemma like 3 times already.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can kill them.
I can dodge them.
I can't walk through the gate because there's a lengthy animation when activating it and they hit me out during it. I do survive, its just that I then have to retreat, heal, and waste my time clearing the path. Its not hard to understand. I already explained my dilemma like 3 times already.

Yeah I guess everyone else who got into fight Velstadt without troubles and tried to give you advice were just having fever dreams.

Seriously, either bring the first ones out and kill them by pillar humping and then fight the next two or else bring them out to chase you and then run and roll past and mash X to get in.

I mean, trying either of those has to be better than crying about how terribly the game is designed on the internet.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We talking Velstadt NG? He's a chump on NG, you shouldn't need more than two tries at him. It's only on NG+ where the real fun starts. While sunbroing I've lost three my hosts to this one-shotting fucker.

Mozg

Arcane
You can parry all of his attacks, too. It's pretty funny to swat away his 600kg mega hammer with a buckler.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They have a button. It lets you roll. You should check it out. Assuming you seriously can't kill those guys. :lol:

I can kill them.
I can dodge them.
Protip for basically every enemy near a fog gate you don't want to fight: get near them, have them start their attack animation, roll to the fog gate, enter fog gate. The enemies will take too long recovering from their missed attack to hit you while going through the gate. 95% of the time this will get you through the gate without getting hit and most of the other 5% is just from fat fingering it or something. This definitely works with the knights before Velstadt.

Mozg

Arcane
I just remembered the troll setup with the bell-ringing hollow(s) in that hall in SotFS. So many encounters in SotFS feel like they were set up by your friend to fuck with you. It's like a whole game of that giant skeleton behind a blind corner that kicks you off a cliff in Nito's house in DS1.

Arnust

Savant
I just remembered the troll setup with the bell-ringing hollow(s) in that hall in SotFS. So many encounters in SotFS feel like they were set up by your friend to fuck with you. It's like a whole game of that giant skeleton behind a blind corner that kicks you off a cliff in Nito's house in DS1.
Alternatively kill the two little shits? lol

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing through the Sunken City DLC. I'm enjoying it so far, though the run to the dragon's sanctum is a bit annoying; there doesn't seem to be that many bonfires. Unless I missed one in the sanctum entrance.
What the most efficient way of killing those moving poison statues? I found you can kill them by aiming a bow at the lizard carrying them, but can't I just whack them with my sword?

What the most efficient way of killing those moving poison statues? I found you can kill them by aiming a bow at the lizard carrying them, but can't I just whack them with my sword?

You either can or can't kill them with your melee weapon, really depends on its moveset. Try some different ones if your favorite isn't doing it. Those lizards can be pretty tricky to target.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I tried the Cave of the Dead.
That place is a fuck. Its an optional challenge area though, so I'm too annoyed with, but that big room with the petrification statues is a nightmare.

Fighting Elana now.
Fuck minion fights, seriously. And of course she has that one hit kill explosion that of course casts when I run out of stamina trying to get velstadt off my ass.
Seriously, why the fuck can she summon velstadt? What is the lore significance behind this? It doesn't make sense.

well velstadt soul is dark/corrupted so maybe he was not such a saint and devoted guardian of Vendrick. the only other dark souls in ds2 belong to daughters of manus, raime and throne duo.

also if tou think caves of dead are cancerous than wait for other two optional areas :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom