Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Silva

Arcane
valley of defilement has way too many poo poo monsters and bad hit detection
Don't Valley wins on the atmosphere/theme aspect? I mean, never played but the tube walkthroughs show it's really atmospheric, and lots of people consider it one of the best in the series.

By the way, what do you guys think of DS3 Irithyll Dungeon? I've found it pretty atmospheric and mildly good design-wise. It does seem a weaker version of Tower of Latria though.

sullynathan

Arcane
valley of defilement has way too many poo poo monsters and bad hit detection
Don't Valley wins on the atmosphere/theme aspect? I mean, never played but the tube walkthroughs show it's really atmospheric, and lots of people consider it one of the best in the series.

By the way, what do you guys think of DS3 Irithyll Dungeon? I've found it pretty atmospheric and mildly good design-wise. It does seem a weaker version of Tower of Latria though.
I don't know about atmosphere but the Valley was literally just shit everywhere, even though I'm sure that's what they were going for. The game literally broke in this area for me multiple times. One time, the entire floor disappeared, the npc quests in the entire area is broken and the framerate is just terrible. I like Blighttown much more than the valley.

Irithyll Dungeon is great but could have been much better if it was longer and if it didn't have Yhorm at the end. That last area is so short that it's ridiculous.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I think it's easier to rank the worst levels than the best, as the series is stacked with great levels.

And Prophaned Capital is among the worst.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Well, if you consider those a single level, then yeah, I would rate them better. Though I suspect Prophaned Capital was meant to be it's own thing but was rushed at some point. A pity.

And I know it's cheap, but I love Sen Fortress.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I like Shanalotte. Dat red hair and heterochromia.
She talks too much though. Like, shut up let me shove my souls into you.

Never played Demons' Souls, but I do like the Maiden in Black's "touch the darkness inside of me" line. So much potential.
"Touch the darkness inside of you? K then" *unzips pants*

Never played BB, but the doll has a nice design. I like Maria more though.

Firekeeper in DS3 is boring to me. Shanalotte is better. Didn't play DS3 either, but by the looks of it, it appears to be a cluster fuck in terms of lore. Like, it actually seems worse designed than DS2, and in that game From clearly wanted to something different setting wise, but had to connect Dark Souls to it because Bandai was being an asshole.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
It's actually "touch the demon inside me" while DS3 Firekeep goes "touch the darkness within me".

Shanalotte, similar to the Maiden, is of more relevance in the game plot as well; the former moving her fat ass around key locations to be all ominous while the later is very important as well, with the being a Demon herself deal-y-o and opening the end bids gate. She also does recite the "mission statement" as well, but she is less reactive.

Arnust

Savant
Also, their design is a bit more versatile and interesting. Maiden is an edgy nun that uses the staff for even scratching her butt. And is assumed that is used for lighting EVERY candle in the Nexus. Shanalotte will DARE and move her dress and take the hood off at the end. We'll never know if there was even more to her, due to the cut young version.
The "lalala" leg waving thing also is a reference to DeS.
DS3's keeper... You look at her and think "ah, this is my waifu". She is adorable and I do love the character design. Problem is that she went to "French maid" school of servitude and personality, and the most that happens with the design is on the initial cutscene. They kind of miss the point of stroking your PC's ego there, in DeS it highlighted your change from hopeless bastard to Demon Slayer while here you're TEH ONE from the get go. Also personality is kind of ehh as the only change in dialog happens if you do the Eyes of the Firekeeper thing, and then changes to another bare set of dialogue.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Never played Demons' Souls, but I do like the Maiden in Black's "touch the darkness inside of me" line. So much potential.
"Touch the darkness inside of you? K then" *unzips pants*

You forgot she says, after you finished with her, "Are thou done?"

Also dat accent. I always imagine Woody Allen with tits doing the VO.

praetor

Arcane

VoD is definitely the most atmospheric and well integrated with the theme of the bunch. and for theme/story/lore/music the final boss of 5-3 is absolutely stellar (although "bottom of the barrel" shit mechanically). but that's pretty standard for DeS. overall it's still the best for atmosphere, story (but not lore!) and theme and i doubt they'll ever surpass it. it's the only reason why i still haven't sold my PS3 (even though i could use the funds)

level design-wise it's kinda meh. 5-1 is pretty solid, but 5-2 is absolutely awful and maybe the worst level in DeS, and one of the worst in the series overall.

Irithyll is definitely ToL-lite. it could've used a bigger, more complex/labyrinthine dungeon section, and more creepy enemies. and an actual boss at the end (or a better integration with the Profaned Capital. people often complain about the nonsensical progression in DS2 with the lavacastle, but imho this is almost as bad). then it could've matched and maybe even surpassed ToL

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All three DLCs represent a huge difficulty spike compared to the vanilla game, with extremely tough areas (most likely designed for co-op), diabolic NPCs and VERY tough bosses, especially in the Ivory King DLC. The Iron King bosses are well designed but a good shield breaks both the Blue Smelter and the Alonne fight, unlike the Ivory King which is specifically designed to utterly molest shield turtles. The Sunken King is probably the "easiest" overall but the Rape Trio boss is arguably one of the hardest for a solo player in the whole series.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I rate the Soulsborne waifus like this: Doll>Maiden in Black>Emerald Herald>Firelink Bonfire>Firekeeper.

I honestly felt like I was at work instead of having fun gaming and the tower where you get the Majestic Sword is the nadir of the entire area only by the fact that the invader is just fucking ridiculous both with his huge healthpool (one backstab from the Greatsword only took HALF his health) and he runs from you to get healed by that thing you have to shove a Smelter Wedge into. If I ever replay the game, this is one area I am completely skipping. The part where you have to drop down between several floors is also damn annoying.

You can totally use a seed of the giants against maldron in Brume tower. It makes that encounter so much easier, and its just hilarious.

The same trick doesn't work against Maldron in Ivory King, as he doesn't count as an Invader.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It would've been better if these games didn't have waifu's.

I still maintain that the bonfire system was better than the girl system, yes.
Having to teleport to Majula everytime I want to level up or upgrade my weapons is a pain. I preferred just doing it at the bonfire in Dark Souls 1. No idea why they changed that. Seems to be a bit of a downgrade, imo.
Does that make the bonfire the best girl? Maybe. Needs more tits though.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, he's a bastard there too. But, as long as you don't pull the lever and kill every enemy in the area first, you can have a proper fight with him.
He doesn't invade you this time. He does something that's clever, but its not an invasion. Just don't pull that lever. Unless you want the true dark souls experience (which may or may not be digitally akin to shoving a pineapple into your uretha)

Arnust

Savant
I rate the Soulsborne waifus like this: Doll>Maiden in Black>Emerald Herald>Firelink Bonfire>Firekeeper.

I honestly felt like I was at work instead of having fun gaming and the tower where you get the Majestic Sword is the nadir of the entire area only by the fact that the invader is just fucking ridiculous both with his huge healthpool (one backstab from the Greatsword only took HALF his health) and he runs from you to get healed by that thing you have to shove a Smelter Wedge into. If I ever replay the game, this is one area I am completely skipping. The part where you have to drop down between several floors is also damn annoying.

You can totally use a seed of the giants against maldron in Brume tower. It makes that encounter so much easier, and its just hilarious.

The same trick doesn't work against Maldron in Ivory King, as he doesn't count as an Invader.
I... Didn't come up with that. Fuck. Albeit what I always do is set up the biggest damage spike and/or poison, and for the one in Ivory King you or the tree wizard can block that one door so that he's completely hopeless. Lloyd talismans work for both.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, Talismans are really useful against him, as it stops him from retreating and healing. What's funny though is that the AI doesn't seem to know that its under the effect of the talisman, so it still runs away, tries to heal and you see Maldron just standing there like a dumbass unable to to anything.
Poison is good against him too, and he's pretty susceptible to parrying.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, I discovered that its still possible to cheese the twin pursuers in drangleic. If you leave the room while one of them is doing a lengthy combo and quickly walk back in, there's a chance just one of the pursuers teleports out. Just kill the remaining one and sit at the bonfire to get the second one back. You still get twinkling + RoB 2

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That fucking chariot, bros. That. Fucking. Chariot.
It gave me more trouble than any other boss (or any other section of the game) so far. I cursed, I screamed in frustration, I died, over and over again.

In the end, I prevailed. Dak'kon was right, 'Endure. In enduring grow stronger.' works every time.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Only thing that bugs me about it was how the fuck did he go round the arena when there was a fucking hole to the right of the entrance?
Maybe the path narrows and there are some rails along the wall for the wheels to hang of- nah, they just do a huge leap, and that's why attacking it normally makes it fall down at 33%HP or so.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That fucking chariot, bros. That. Fucking. Chariot.
It gave me more trouble than any other boss (or any other section of the game) so far. I cursed, I screamed in frustration, I died, over and over again.

In the end, I prevailed. Dak'kon was right, 'Endure. In enduring grow stronger.' works every time.

You can cheese the fuck out of it though.
Kill first necromancer, hide in the cubby, pop out and pelt the chariot with poison arrows when it comes around. When the chariot drops to a certain health point it gets stuck on a ledge. Take your time killing the skeletons and necromancers, and walk up to the horse and punch it in the face. No really, it only takes a few hits from any weapon to make it fall. It doesn't even fight back.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Something really perplexes me about the Lost Bastille area.
I usually see activity at Lost Bastille, Belfry and Sinners. However when I place my summon sign down I don't get summoned, nor do I get invaded at Belfry. Just what are they doing there?
Is there something good to farm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom