Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The David W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors Thread

Second Chance

Liturgist
I know many readers of this forum don't like Wizards & Warriors, I was wondering if some of them could tell me why.

Some points I see on this game:

POSITIVE:
Nice class system
Race variety
Interesting and well drawn dungeons
Puzzles
Nice combat system for a 1st person RPG

NEGATIVE:
Cliche storyline
Some bugs :? even after the patch

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I've still yet to play that game. It was at Best Buy in Green Bay when it first came out, but I had no money at the time. By the time I did have money, it had vanished off the shelves and was nowhere to be found. I've been looking ever since. I know I could order it online probably, but I don't do that. Guess I may have to break down and give in though, because I really do want to check that game out.

Sarvis

Erudite
Wizards and warriors:

910653b.jpg

???

Second Chance

Liturgist
I obviously meant W&W the pc game, not the old console game ;)

I played it for quite some time I found it a really nice game, although managing 6 chars switching classes all the time became a bit hectic! :) It was IMHO one of the best RPGs of the end of the XXth century

Sarvis

Erudite
Second Chance said:
I obviously meant W&W the pc game, not the old console game ;)

I played it for quite some time I found it a really nice game, although managing 6 chars switching classes all the time became a bit hectic! :) It was IMHO one of the best RPGs of the end of the XXth century

didn't know there was a newer PC version until you made this thread... heh.

Is it turn based? If not then I have no interest...

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
I liked it a lot but never finished it. It's fun for what it is and more fun if you cut your gaming teeth on Bard's Tale like I did.

Ah, Bard's Tale. I was a wee lad of 12 when you taught me what video game addiction is like. I must laugh when here we are, 17 years or whatever later and RPGs like Fable and Kotor take 1/5th or 1/4th of the time to finish that BT 1 did, let alone BTII.

Second Chance

Liturgist
fnordcircle said:
I liked it a lot but never finished it. It's fun for what it is and more fun if you cut your gaming teeth on Bard's Tale like I did.

Ah, Bard's Tale. I was a wee lad of 12 when you taught me what video game addiction is like. I must laugh when here we are, 17 years or whatever later and RPGs like Fable and Kotor take 1/5th or 1/4th of the time to finish that BT 1 did, let alone BTII.

Yeah they don't make them like those anymore do they? I never finished BT1 or 2, but BT3 did take me ages to finish. I think W&W is a great game for old skool cRPGers

Sarvis, W&W is a first person RPG that moves on real time, but combat is indeed turn based (when monsters get somewhat close, the game becomes turn based)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah. It's akin to the Might & Magic series in that sense. Although with the later M&M's you could go real time.

BT1 must have took me a month to finish. BT2 took longer than that. I never got to play the third one though. You can't have content like that in this day and age of orgasmic graphics unless you want it to take up massive amounts of gigs on your hard drive. :/

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Wizards & Warriors by D.W. Bradley

Anyone that experienced Might & Magic and Wizardry in their heyday will feel fond memories when playing Wizards & Warriors. This game offers nostalgic experiences coupled with modern graphics and physics. With its vast array of spells, enemies, quests, dungeons, items and NPCs, Wizards & Warriors surely offers a staggeringly large game that will keep the player busy for a long, long time. In a day when thirty hour games are becoming standard for the same fifty American dollar price, a mammoth game like Wizards & Warriors may be a welcome change

-Mark "Kyote" Allman, RPG Planet, August 2000
:lol:

LlamaGod

Cipher
D.W. Bradley sucks ass at making games. Whats with his furry obsession, anyways?

Second Chance

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
D.W. Bradley sucks ass at making games. Whats with his furry obsession, anyways?

Wizardry 7, considered one of the best RPGs ever, was made by Bradley. The "furry" races were already there in previous Wizardry games.

Have you actually played any of his RPGs, or do you simply say that he "sucks ass" without any justification?

Second Chance

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Wizards & Warriors by D.W. Bradley

Anyone that experienced Might & Magic and Wizardry in their heyday will feel fond memories when playing Wizards & Warriors. This game offers nostalgic experiences coupled with modern graphics and physics. With its vast array of spells, enemies, quests, dungeons, items and NPCs, Wizards & Warriors surely offers a staggeringly large game that will keep the player busy for a long, long time. In a day when thirty hour games are becoming standard for the same fifty American dollar price, a mammoth game like Wizards & Warriors may be a welcome change

-Mark "Kyote" Allman, RPG Planet, August 2000
:lol:

Except for the "graphics" part, I don't see anything false in the sentence above, perhaps you'd care to explain your :lol: ?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
W&W really fucking sucked. It's considered the buggiest, most imbalanced games of recent times. TOEE and Daggerfall included.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Cool! That means it probably fucking rocks. Definitely gotta look into getting me a copy now. Because, despite it's bugs, Daggerfall is one of my favorite games of all time. :)

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Cool! That means it probably fucking rocks. Definitely gotta look into getting me a copy now. Because, despite it's bugs, Daggerfall is one of my favorite games of all time. :)

It's really like Bard's Tale with better graphics. I also remember that there wasn't that much exploring and was pretty much just a dungeon crawl. I don't know why it's considered so buggy or imbalanced, though. Ran fine for me.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
It's really like Bard's Tale with better graphics.

That's about what I would have expected from the game by reading all those reviews I did years ago. Which is cool. Nothing wrong with a good dungeon crawl now and then. That's pretty much what Wizardry 8 was, and I loved that game. Not like I would be going into it expecting another Daggerfall. ;)

LlamaGod

Cipher
Second Chance said:
LlamaGod said:

Wizardry 7, considered one of the best RPGs ever, was made by Bradley. The "furry" races were already there in previous Wizardry games.

Have you actually played any of his RPGs, or do you simply say that he "sucks ass" without any justification?

I could give a shit about Wizardry 7. It was a retarded Wizadry game and I dont see how Wizardry is 'the best RPG ever'..

Then you account in this game and his next one coming out and DW BRADLEY SUCKS.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Indeed, and look how much everyone likes it now. If anything I couldn't have been more right. Of course, you should see for yourself.

I can assure you that W&W will disappoint.

Spazmo

Erudite
You weren't right about Bloodlines, knucklehead. You're saying it's all crap when it's mostly quite good. Personally, I find Ortchel disliking something to be a good sign for that product.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Fine, but you both try W&W and get back to me.

It's just one of those games that'll make you throw up your hands in disgust.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, it's not a general rule of thumb or anything, but it's certainly a trend I'll be keeping an eye on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom