Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The David W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors Thread

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Ortchel said:
Fine, but you both try W&W and get back to me.

It's just one of those games that'll make you throw up your hands in disgust.

Even if it's just Bard's Tale (the ORIGINAL one, yeah, the GOOD one) with a facelift, I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it. I do wish to check it out, but I'm not gonna go too far out of my way to get my hands on it. At least not at the moment. Too many other games I wanna play more right now. :P

kain611

Augur
Well this game came out about the same time Baldur's Gate II did and therefore didn't receive much attention. However i always meant to pick it up but alas never did. Did anyone here grab it? And if so how was it and is it worth tracking down? I'd be interested in buying someone's copy if their done with it.

Please discuss away if you've played it please.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Worth playing if you liked Wizardry 6, 7, 8. Not worth in any other case. It's not a good game. It's a decent enough game, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's fixable using Virtual Dub, a freeware program. I can instruct you as needed, and so can, I think, Section8.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I agree with Jasede here.

Although the game definately has its flaws, it simply is fun to have elephants in your group.

zer

Novice
Au naturel said:
Does it have turned based combat? Some guy on another forum said it had real time combat that was impossible to use. Lies?

No, not a lie - just half-truth :) Combat more like "real-time phase based" but you can set it (through option menu) to almost turn-based.

I love dungeons and puzzles from W&W. Class/Skill systems also good.

mondblut

Arcane
A good game with some flaws. In general I liked it more than Wizardry8, although I am definitely in minority here.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
A good game with some flaws. In general I liked it more than Wizardry8, although I am definitely in minority here.

I just choked on my banana! Don't let Shagnak hear that! Then again, he's refreshingly mellow. Marriage does that to a man.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Wizards and warriors is a decent game. Close to the Wizardry series but with a rather bland and generic fantasy setting.

The thing I liked in W&W was how the "paper dolls" looked. I've always been partial to good looking paper dolls, must be my feminine side... Anyways, the little animated party members (even if animations are pretty rough, they are here and that's more than many other games can say) that change their looks when you equip them with new gear, are really cool. W&W was a game that satisfied the "micro manager" in me.

I also loved the underwater scenes. Having to hunt crabs (horrible creatures and all that) to get their shells and build your own scuba gear was pretty amusing. At first...

Now there are the quests, that need to be taken by each end every member of the party. That was a major pain in the ass.

Graphicswise, I still prefer old school 2D games over those atrocious 3D ones like W&W or MM9.

But a pretty good game despite it's flaws.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Funny you mention MM9. I just got MM 6 to run, and have to ask: How did they manage to make 9 look worse than 6?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Jasede said:
How did they manage to make 9 look worse than 6?

You tell me. :D

215612.jpeg

ME0000170832_2.jpg

Xi

Arcane
I played all the way to the very end and my party was too weak to overcome the final area. I needed to grind out some more levels and get some better gear and just didn't feel like it at the time. Eventually I lost the save and have yet to reinstall it because the last time I tried it didn't work in XP. I'll have to try the freeware program that Jasede listed.

Worth a try and it's probably $5 bargain bin material at this point.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ewwww.... disgusting.

I knew MM9 looked horrible, but I never saw it so directly compared to 6.
Must be even more horrid if you would directly compare it to 7 or 8...

Andhaira

Arcane
mm7 was good, especially the good/evil thing.

mm6 has the best introduction cinematic though.

Wiz8 is better than both.

none of these games offer any deep rplaying or npc interaction though; just hack and slash. Wiz 8 has deep stats however, adn a deep party system.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You know, what you call hack & slash is what computer role-playing was all about before Fallout (and Ultima IV if you like). I wish there were more games like this. Can't wait for Grimoire. That's what RPGs should be about - either that or the Fallout-style, but I prefer this one. Right now companies just make games which try to do both and fail, or that's my experience.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
shit is graphically more advanced than any current or next-gen game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom