Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The David W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors Thread

A user named cat

Back in the day people could just use Mo'slo to slow the CPU down.
You could try this little CPU throttling program. I had to use it for Blade Runner a while back and it worked perfectly. So you shouldn't need to do any underclocking in your bios if that's the main problem with this game on modern systems.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Phantasmal : Thanks. I did try some type of modern CPU slow down utility.
Not sure what it was doing other than trying to send a bunch of commands at the CPU to make it slow down by sheer volume.
Which is bad for my system seeing as how that drives my CPU temperature way up which defeats the purpose {AMD Phenoms are/were notoriously easy to overheat}.

Underclocking is actually working pretty well. Pretty simple set-up:

1. Boot up PC and go in to BIOS
2. Load Bios config for W&W {800 Mhz CPU & RAM w/ basically everything else default}
3. re-boot & run W&W
4. Re-load normal BIOS set-up when finished.

UEFI bios helps in this case.

So far in game it has worked pretty well - still hiccups now and then - but I seem to remember the same from earlier PC systems { win98 }. Just silly stuff like when opening inventory while swimming seems to crash PC system predictably. Sound appears to be a culprit for the majority of lock ups. Despite all the crashes lock ups and stuff - still find this a pretty interesting game, and occassionally brutal {night time Amazoni Mantrap evading ninja-run anyone?}

Forming up a group for the real attempt. Had to make it past the Second Watcher first with Group 1. Group 1 had been poorly planned in hindsight so forming a more enjoyable, interesting Group 2 is taking place.

NOTE: I don't know if anyone would really care about "spoilers" for this post as this game is Ancient and spoilers are archived and readliy available.
Still I am trying to keep this as "low-spoiler" status - if a young person wanted to try this game in it's pristine unspoiled status - I guess stop reading.

Trying out a starting group of:

1. Ratling Ranger { Rogue @ lvl 1} - "Romag"
2. Gourk Samurai { Wizard @ lvl 1} - "Unagi"
3. Elven (male) Warlock { Priest @ lvl 1} - "Toronado"
4. Whiska Warrior { Warrior @ lvl 1} - "Khan"
(- but w/ ranger/paladin along the path to Barbarian as I do not have 12 str/12 fort yet)
5. Elven (female) Warlock { Wizard @ lvl 1} - "undecided name as yet & not rolled up yet"
6. Not sure what other role to have yet -

At this point I have been travelling around between Ishad N'ha and Valeia regions in order to tweak group starting conditions and recover some needed components for Role selections.

Had to set myself some ground rules to avoid totally exploiting:

I decided to allow for:

1. Some additional starting equipment to reward me for all the hard work just to get these buggers ready to begin.
Bascially Group One's hand me downs - but no "I Win" items. Like a Cutlass for the warrior whose STR is too low for long sword as yet. A Katana - Kabuto Helmet - Samurai Robe Chest piece and some throwing stars {I put 1 initial point in bows by accident - arrgh} In addition, the group members will each have 200 gold as if it was a new game from scratch.

2. Trying to allow for all 6 characters to be members of at least the first three guilds available { Wizards / Fighters / Priests }.
Obviously a big financial outlay for all these guilds in addition to the costs for Role changes to be able to join in the first place.
This is an award to me for having played this game in the early days. Merry Xmas to me.

3. Allowing variety in starting Role { as opposed to Warrior/Wizard/Rogue/Priest standard starting Role choices } although trying to keep start level of all group 2 members at Level 1 for the impending Reset_Adventure button push. This may also mean Paladin role for some which gets dropped before their actual beginning level 1-2 Role. This was just because Paladin allows some to join the Priest guild, so why not get the trait if that character will not be a Paladin in future. Again, another fudge factor - this one because I will have to endure numerous game crashes along the road of this game journey. It's the little things in life that make the difference.

4. Not allowing Bard or Ninja for anyone as a starting Role. Bard as it would be too much trouble for me and Ninja because they are so damn good. Also I just don't want to run a starting character all that way...again. Chalk one up to Lazy Gamer achievement.

5. Gave myself some hints via low-spoiler site pages. Allowed for that just because playing through in a non-designer planned route can cause items/events to not present themselves as obviously as they would otherwise. Sometimes not even then...Sometimes the Frustration Factor has to be intercepted before it starts.

To those who know Wizards & Warriors:
If anyone has a recommend for different Group 2 members 5 & 6 please suggest something. Kind of stuck on what I want. I would appreciate low to non spoiler reasons because I don't recall this game from memory but replaying it after so many years is kinda cool.
I often find myself thinking "Oh yeah I have to do this and that, etc." quite a bit so far. Have been finding some new stuff along the way too.

I can understand people not liking this game. Interesting and enjoyable for one person is a brief crappy experience for another. To each his own.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I can understand people not liking this game. Interesting and enjoyable for one person is a brief crappy experience for another. To each his own.

If the atmosphere wasn't so depressing (game looks like mud with its main colors being dark brown, dark green, dark gray) then it could be more enjoyable. However the color combination is worse than Wizardry 6. It makes me puke.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Plus, the art direction is absolutely lovely : perfectly balanced colors, with a dominance of warm and earthy tones that somehow manage to never be drab...
That's exactly how classic fantasy should look like IMO. Even the low-poly models look perfect.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
:necro:

I was looking around in the interwebz stuff about Wizards & Warriors, and I came across this webzone, by one of the people who worked on the game.
http://curiousconstructs.com/deep6/

It has pics from the different versions during the development, such as early screenshots:
SS-04.jpg

SS-03.jpg

SS-07.jpg

Spotted this on Ironworks forum too, the same dev who hosts the webzone I linked, made improved map for the crypt before he left the company, but Bradley never implemented it for some reason:
DLraS7QUEAAYjol.jpg

There are a few teasers from during the development in the "Grab bag" segment of the site, and this snippet:
Some of the current levels in the game were the first levels anyone on the team had made before. After learning the game editor, technology limits, and what makes a level exciting, I decided to remake the Crypt and Snake Temple levels.

I left the company before the game was finished and hoped DWB would use these new versions, but sadly they never made it into the final game. Included in the file below are the raw map files, diagrams of the new levels, and screenshots. In addition to the new Crypt and Snake Temple, you'll also find smaller levels such as Gareth's House and an example for a 3D town you could walk through. With the idea of tossing the original Crypt, the backend of it would have been used for a Deathmatch arena ("DM-Sewers")

Those can be found from here:
http://curiousconstructs.com/deep6/images/D6-home/SS-New-Levels.rar

I'd love to hear about the development on W&W, as the "Deathmatch arena" makes it seem like they had planned on multiplayer too. I hope Matt gets him on his show one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

V_K

Arcane
improved map for the crypt
I'm not sure I'd call it "improved". Seems just more padded with generic rooms that probably just have some skeletons and slimes in them. One of the best aspects of W&W dungeons was pacing, they never got repetitive - and this "improvement" would introduce just that.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
improved map for the crypt
I'm not sure I'd call it "improved". Seems just more padded with generic rooms that probably just have some skeletons and slimes in them. One of the best aspects of W&W dungeons was pacing, they never got repetitive - and this "improvement" would introduce just that.

Good point, maybe that's why it was never implemented, although the graphics do look better in the screenshots put into the archive I linked. The Crypt is a very good starter dungeon for the game, and nice introduction to the mechanics.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Does the gog version work on windows 10 without any nuisance?

Yes it does, I'd still use the graphics patch to patch it to use 1280x960 graphics, and then choose 800x600 resolution from the game to use 1280x960. Using 1024x768 fucks up the graphics.

Old Hans

Arcane
:necro:

I was looking around in the interwebz stuff about Wizards & Warriors, and I came across this webzone, by one of the people who worked on the game.
http://curiousconstructs.com/deep6/

It has pics from the different versions during the development, such as early screenshots:
SS-04.jpg

SS-03.jpg

SS-07.jpg

Spotted this on Ironworks forum too, the same dev who hosts the webzone I linked, made improved map for the crypt before he left the company, but Bradley never implemented it for some reason:
DLraS7QUEAAYjol.jpg

There are a few teasers from during the development in the "Grab bag" segment of the site, and this snippet:
Some of the current levels in the game were the first levels anyone on the team had made before. After learning the game editor, technology limits, and what makes a level exciting, I decided to remake the Crypt and Snake Temple levels.

I left the company before the game was finished and hoped DWB would use these new versions, but sadly they never made it into the final game. Included in the file below are the raw map files, diagrams of the new levels, and screenshots. In addition to the new Crypt and Snake Temple, you'll also find smaller levels such as Gareth's House and an example for a 3D town you could walk through. With the idea of tossing the original Crypt, the backend of it would have been used for a Deathmatch arena ("DM-Sewers")

Those can be found from here:
http://curiousconstructs.com/deep6/images/D6-home/SS-New-Levels.rar

I'd love to hear about the development on W&W, as the "Deathmatch arena" makes it seem like they had planned on multiplayer too. I hope Matt gets him on his show one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

this game had the best dungeons AND the whole vibe of the game reminds me of those old Fighting Fantasy game books

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Got the game thanks to the GOG sale. Any little tidbits I should be aware of before playing? I know there's a resolution mod or something I could get, though I felt like the game looked fine enough when I gave it a quick run (to make sure that it does work). How min-maxy does the game want my party to be, or is the game forgiving enough to let me just jump in and go with my gut feelings?

V_K

Arcane
It's generally very forgiving.
The only caveat I can think of concerns advanced classes. There are some promotion quests that can only be done once (e.g. killing a unique enemy or fetching a unique item), so in principle only one character can ascend to those classes.
There's a little cheat you can do to circumvent this, but it's not a 100% guarantee:
- Start the promotion quest with two characters at once;
- Do the quest;
- Turn it in with one character, but before the guild NPC finishes his speech, quickly switch to the other character you need promoted and turn the quest in with him.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I remember about this game is scrolling through text in town was a nightmare, clicking through huge scrolling words that repeated over and over. Is that still true?

V_K

Arcane
Um what? Why would you need to scroll through dialogs? They scroll automatically and slowly enough that you don't need to go back.
You might be confusing it with Wiz7.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um what? Why would you need to scroll through dialogs? They scroll automatically and slowly enough that you don't need to go back.
I'm talking about the trudge where every time you do anything in town there is a 3 minute text crawl. Buy 3 healing potions, you have 9 minutes of text to crawl through. I don't remember exactly how it worked but doing shit in town was awful because of a thousand lines of repeating unskippable crawling text.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Got the game thanks to the GOG sale. Any little tidbits I should be aware of before playing? I know there's a resolution mod or something I could get, though I felt like the game looked fine enough when I gave it a quick run (to make sure that it does work). How min-maxy does the game want my party to be, or is the game forgiving enough to let me just jump in and go with my gut feelings?

Graphics patch is the first one on this page: http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizardswarriors/downloads.shtml
Download the first one, the graphics patch and choose 1280x960, and then in game choose 800x600 from the options, and you're set with the 1280x960 resolution. I think GOG version already has the graphics patch, but no idea what resolution it's set for.

V_K

Arcane
I'm talking about the trudge where every time you do anything in town there is a 3 minute text crawl. Buy 3 healing potions, you have 9 minutes of text to crawl through. I don't remember exactly how it worked but doing shit in town was awful because of a thousand lines of repeating unskippable crawling text.
I don't know if it actually is unskippable. I mean, the NPC will finish their monologue, sure, but nothing's stopping you from going to the shopping window and do what you came to do in the meantime.

Zombra

Patron
I don't know if it actually is unskippable. I mean, the NPC will finish their monologue, sure, but nothing's stopping you from going to the shopping window and do what you came to do in the meantime.
Sounds like whatever it was, it hasn't been fixed. If I hated it 20 years ago, I'm sure I would still hate it now.

V_K

Arcane
Sounds like whatever it was, it hasn't been fixed.
Don't get the wrong idea, I haven't replayed the game since 2005 or so either, so I wouldn't know if any community patches have been released in the meantime. It just didn't bother me back then so much.
I would also assume that deleting sound files with voice acting would make the scrolling go a lot faster.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would DEFINETLY recommend using the 1.1 fan patch to fix the plant enemies with insanely OP attacks: http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-mod-v1.1

Gameplay-wise, the main thing to pay attention to is multi-classing. Progression through classes is a core feature of the game BUT you cannot pick the same class twice. So if you create a cleric and decide to give him a warrior level for better combat stats, know that you'll never be able to give him another cleric level (but there are other classes with the same spell schools). Knowing that should be enough, the game isn't so difficult as to require you to min-max or plan the entire class path of the party.

Also, enjoy. The level design of W&W is absolutely amazing, every single dungeon is memorable. :salute:

EDIT: Since you are using the GOG version that is already fully patched to modern PCs, just replace the .DAT files with the ones from the fan patch, don't replace the .exe.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom