Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The definitive, last Pillars of Eternity rating thread!

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity (with expansions and patches)?

Votes: 17 4.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 88 23.5%

Votes: 40 10.7%

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 42 11.2%

Votes: 8 2.1%

Votes: 11 2.9%

Votes: 4 1.1%

Votes: 3 0.8%

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • J_C is a cuck! (kc)

Votes: 68 18.2%

• Total voters

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Enutanik (eh-NOO-tah-nik, “people of the tundra,”

I wonder if there are some other ways to say "people of the tundra", like people from some sort of similar cold biome.

Come on, how long can we talk about it?

Delterius

Arcane
It's one of the least dumb naming conventions in the game. In fact it's one of the few ones that make sense. I thought we were done with this?
we can never be done with the search of true writing excellence

I move that this council substitute all instances of boreal dwarfs for 'ice dwarves'

all in favor say aye

Vrab

Learned

Theldaran

Liturgist

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck me these bastard load screens. I really hope they sort them out for Deadfire. Just too many for too long & too often.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
PoE is the worst insult that has been thrown at the cRPG genre. The writing is the worst I have ever seen in a cRPG, feels like its been written by a teenager and reeks of uncreativity. The game even features instances of broken English that I have submitted to English teachers who confirmed it was wrong. Huge money grab at our nostalgia.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ive never seen anyone gun so hard for dumbfuck tag

this is some day of the jackal shit :salute:

KK1001

Arbiter
PoE before expansions and patches was like a 4/10, playable if a bit broken at times.

Afterwards, it's a bit better. Probably like a solid 7.5/10, with something like BG2 and PS:T being 9s.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
PoE before expansions and patches was like a 4/10, playable if a bit broken at times.

Afterwards, it's a bit better. Probably like a solid 7.5/10, with something like BG2 and PS:T being 9s.

Did the expansions fix the awful writing?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not really. The overall story of WM isn't as pretentious and overly wordy, though, but the characters still act like retards.

Lhynn

Arcane
WM 1 and 2 are objectively worse than the main game. The game hasnt improved after 1000 patches. Just forget about this piece of shit.

Pillars 2 is good so far tho, so id advice you to play that instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How are they objectively worse? I'm genuinely curious because I haven't come across such an opinion before. Or you mean only writing-wise?

Lhynn

Arcane
Writing wise. While the MQ is a disjointed mess of boring shit not happening until you kill the last boss, who just dies like an asshole. WM is a boring slog through a wildly uninteresting place with no real opposition or conflict.

They both belong in the trash bin.

KK1001

Arbiter
The problem with the story is so obviously in the cut content in Act 4 and the ending of Act 2 not reflecting player agency. There's no time to give a fuck about that elf chick's rebellion or whatever. That the story does a better job of making sense, having stakes, and not relying on mystery and rumor alone upon replay, while at the same time failing to adequately forshadow much, is telling.

The beginning of the game succeeds because we see the effect of what Thaos is doing, right now, to the player and to the world. Then the game dumps info on you about why you should personally care and how he did all these bad things in the past, which isn't effective. Compare this to BG2 where the stakes kept getting higher and higher.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What? You weren't absolutely thrilled and convinced by the game soulguilt-tripping you? And Iovara didn't enthrall you with her one-liner that the gods are "fake"? Inconceivable!

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
All that was a forced attempt at being like PS:T and it failed.

Too bad Avellone didn't just write the entire thing himself.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I put a 4/10 but honestly I'm probably too harsh on it. Judging the game solely by the time I managed to put into it before getting bored and giving up on it I can't rate it any higher. I only managed maybe 3 or so hours before quitting and never playing it again, there's probably worse games I've put more time into and if I would of played this game when I was younger back in 2000-2003 I would of probably liked it as much as I liked IWD or the BG games and given it a 7-8.

Lacrymas

Arcane
A lot of players didn't even finish act 1, so it's not so surprising you were bored even by then. I experimented on a friend of mine (who hasn't played either BG1 or PoE1) by having him play a bit of both, and he said he'd rather continue with BG than PoE. He did say he'd like to see more of PoE, though, since we only managed to get to the town after the tutorial dungeon (the name escapes me lol), so it wasn't a complete rejection, but we also didn't get very far to test whether he'll get to Defiance Bay or not. I have another friend who'll come over soon and I'll do the same experiment with him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom