Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Boleskine

Arcane
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/denuvos-drm-ins-now-being-cracked-within-hours-of-release/

Denuvo’s DRM now being cracked within hours of release
Best-in-class service can't even provide a full day of protection these days.
Kyle Orland - 10/19/2017, 11:58 AM

denuvo-640x400.jpg

When we last checked in on the state of Denuvo copy protection in PC games, the latest version of the best-in-class DRM provider had provided about a month's worth of usable piracy prevention for survival-horror title 2Dark. Fast forward to the current holiday season, and major Denuvo releases are being publicly cracked within a day of their launch. We're certainly a long way away from the days when major cracking groups were publicly musing that Denuvo-style DRM might soon become unbeatable.
This week's release of South Park: The Fractured But Whole is the latest to see its protections broken less than 24 hours after its release, but it's not alone. Middle Earth: Shadow of War was broken within a day last week, and last month saw cracks for Total War: Warhammer 2 and FIFA 18 the very same day as their public release. Then there's The Evil Within 2, which reportedly used Denuvo in prerelease review copies but then launched without that protection last week, effectively ceding the game to immediate potential piracy.

Those nearly instant Denuvo cracks follow summer releases like Sonic Mania, Tekken 7, and Prey, all of which saw DRM protection cracked between four to nine days of release. But even that small difference in the "uncracked" protection window can be important for game publishers, who usually see a large proportion of their legitimate sales in those first few days of availability. The presence of an easy-to-find cracked version in that launch window (or lack thereof) could have a significant effect on the initial sales momentum for a big release.
That's pretty much the argument Denuvo itself made after Resident Evil 7 was cracked in less than a week back in January. "Given the fact that every unprotected title is cracked on the day of release—as well as every update of games—our solution made a difference for this title," Denuvo Marketing Director Thomas Goebl told Eurogamer in the wake of that crack.
"Our goal is to keep each title safe from piracy during the crucial initial sales window when most of the sales are made," Denuvo VP of Sales Robert Hernandez added in a statement to Ars.

If Denuvo can no longer provide even a single full day of protection from cracks, though, that protection is going to look a lot less valuable to publishers. But that doesn't mean Denuvo will stay effectively useless forever. The company has updated its DRM protection methods with a number of "variants" since its rollout in 2014, and chatter in the cracking community indicates a revamped "version 5" will launch any day now. That might give publishers a little more breathing room where their games can exist uncracked and force the crackers back to the drawing board for another round of the never-ending DRM battle.

spekkio

Arcane
TBH when I see a game torrent which is bigger than 20 GB, I don't even bother with DL it, denuovo, shituovo, whatever.
In most cases much better way of spending my free time is playing some old Snes game or launching openxcom.

rating_oldman.png

Perkel

Arcane
Since i upgraded my internet speed when i see 90GB game i am like "time to test my internet speed"

:martini:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
TBH when I see a game torrent which is bigger than 20 GB, I don't even bother with DL it, denuovo, shituovo, whatever.
In most cases much better way of spending my free time is playing some old Snes game or launching openxcom.

rating_oldman.png
As if there are any games less than 20 gigs this days.

spekkio

Arcane

rating_oldman.png
If you only play popamole shit from big studios, then maybe there aren't.
Games like Invisible Inc., Mark of the Ninja, Xenonauts are less than 3GB each.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

rating_oldman.png
If you only play popamole shit from big studios, then maybe there aren't.
Games like Invisible Inc., Mark of the Ninja, Xenonauts are less than 3GB each.
At least write some indie rpgs.

spekkio

Arcane
It took you 2 days to come up with such shitty answer?

I can use any examples I want, thank you.
Maybe you have to impress older boys posting on niche internet forum with your vast knowledge about indie RPGS. I sure don't.

Fucking 2017 newfags...

:decline:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It took you 2 days to come up with such shitty answer?

I can use any examples I want, thank you.
Maybe you have to impress older boys posting on niche internet forum with your vast knowledge about indie RPGS. I sure don't.

Fucking 2017 newfags...

:decline:
Nah i was playing ELEX the past few days. I just finished it and decided to check the rest of the forum. Oh and ELEX is more than 20 gigs.

I don't care about impressing people neither here nor in real live. I am being myself,people that have similar views and tastes will see it. Respect is something that goes both ways.

Also say 2017 is just lowbrow,at least try to come up with something original. God have given you a brain,try and use it once in a while.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the biggest issues with Denuvo was the lack of decent 64 bit debugging tools.

So whatever fancy countermeasures they upgrade the next version with, it will get cracked a lot quicker.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Amazingly, people tend to pirate AAA shit. It causes immense suffering to company execs who can't afford their third Ferraris due to piracy
https://gamingcentral.in/assassins-creed-origins-already-makes-way-torrents-waiting-cracked/
Assassin’s Creed: Origins Already Makes Its Way To Torrents, Waiting To Be Cracked

The last few months have seen a big jump in piracy among AAA games. Where previously games like FIFA would takes years to get cracked and pirated across torrent sites, lately most AAA games are being cracked within days if not hours of launch. Denuvo’s effectiveness has been brought into question multiple times. Things have gotten so dire that Bethesda actually dropped Denuvo from The Evil Within 2 just a few days before launch.

Right now, Assassin’s Creed: Origins’ game files have already been uploaded to torrent sites, waiting to be cracked. This is definitely bad news for developers and publishers, and the industry at large. It had seemed like piracy had been on a decline back in 2014-16, but this year it looks like it’s back in full swing. This also comes amidst news of big publishers moving away from AAA single player games. With piracy this rampant, it only makes sense for developers to make multiplayer focused games or games as a service.

We implore all our readers to support the games you like, and buy them.

Unwanted

tmux

Unwanted
DRM is snake oil.

If you've made a good game and there are tons of fan liking it, they'll line up to buy it EVEN if it is DRM-free.

DRM is like the delusional gambler. No matter how much money he loses he refuses to quit, because quitting would be and admission that he has failed and lost all his money. And, he is convinced that if he sticks with it long enough he will eventually hit that big jackpot.

And I don't expect the companies using DRM to change their minds any time soon.

Denuvo isn't going to just quit and go away. Next year, Denuvo will will promise the game companies them that they have developed a new and improved DRM. It will be a lie. It will be nothing more than digital snake oil, just like all DRM, and the game companies will buy it, because they are just like the delusional gambler.

flyingjohn

Arcane
DRM is snake oil.

If you've made a good game and there are tons of fan liking it, they'll line up to buy it EVEN if it is DRM-free.

DRM is like the delusional gambler. No matter how much money he loses he refuses to quit, because quitting would be and admission that he has failed and lost all his money. And, he is convinced that if he sticks with it long enough he will eventually hit that big jackpot.

And I don't expect the companies using DRM to change their minds any time soon.

Denuvo isn't going to just quit and go away. Next year, Denuvo will will promise the game companies them that they have developed a new and improved DRM. It will be a lie. It will be nothing more than digital snake oil, just like all DRM, and the game companies will buy it, because they are just like the delusional gambler.
Drm is a way to appease shareholders when they start asking questions like this:
Hey your game is getting downloaded by billions according to this study,what are you gonna do about it?
And no,managers can't just tell them that it doesn't matter.

Reinhardt

Arcane
We implore all our readers to support the games you like, and buy them.
Agree. Too bad there is not too many such games and Ass Creed: Kangz Edition is not one of them.

jaydee2k

Savant
Haha Wolfenstein hasn't Denuvo anymore. These wannabe germans are fucked :incline:
This company can go to hell now

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
is this the place where I can ask if Wolfenstein 2 and ACO have been cracked yet but will not ask for any link

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Voksi said Denuvo adds 30-40 percent more CPU requirements, from tests he did. I wonder does Prey still use Denuvo?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
or games as a service.

Games as a service...

Fuck off. What does that mean exactly? Steam Early Access? Meaning the service they make you is that you get to pay for the game to sit in pre-alpha for several years and then get cancelled? What a service!

Yeah, sure, the industry lived with rampant piracy so far, but now, EXACTLY FUCKING NOW, it will die because Assassin's Creed will be cracked!
And if companies can't survive unless they sell their hundred million cinematic experience to half the Earth's population then they deserve to die and good riddance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games as a service...

Fuck off. What does that mean exactly? Steam Early Access? Meaning the service they make you is that you get to pay for the game to sit in pre-alpha for several years and then get cancelled? What a service!

It usually means online multiplayer games, although the term might also be used for single player games that update with new content so frequently that pirating them would be stupid, or for single player games with microtransactions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom