Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The biggest problem with current DRM is the massive performance hit it causes for paying customers. It literally creates a worse gaming experience if you pay for it.

Well at least someone trying to argue with me instead of just pressing "retarded" or "shit".

Thing is how do I believe any of this? All the claims about Denuvo (performance hit, destroying SSDs) turned out to be a complete garbage. As for Denuvo+VM the performance increase is barely above the standard deviation on my average machine. It's slightly higher than most other triple A titles, so what?

Again - I'm not "pro-DRM". I'm just having fun with hipsters fancying themselves anti-DRM social justice warriors in an age where only the non-invasive, imperceptible Denuvo exists.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's imperceptible until their servers go down. Or you need to reactivate the game. I have enough games to last me for a lifetime. If I miss a few games because of DRM, so be it. I don't even care about performance hits. It's the actual DRM aspect I am against. I already have Steam. I already have GOG. I already have Origin. I even have uPlay because of a game or two. I don't need more programs om top of that. I remember when Games for Windows Live was removed. It was a pain in the ass. SecuROM was fun, too.

J1M

Arcane
The biggest problem with current DRM is the massive performance hit it causes for paying customers. It literally creates a worse gaming experience if you pay for it.

Well at least someone trying to argue with me instead of just pressing "retarded" or "shit".

Thing is how do I believe any of this? All the claims about Denuvo (performance hit, destroying SSDs) turned out to be a complete garbage. As for Denuvo+VM the performance increase is barely above the standard deviation on my average machine. It's slightly higher than most other triple A titles, so what?

Again - I'm not "pro-DRM". I'm just having fun with hipsters fancying themselves anti-DRM social justice warriors in an age where only the non-invasive, imperceptible Denuvo exists.
I'm not arguing with you, just stating a fact. Do you find it unreasonable that paying customers would expect a better experience than pirates?

Do you think that there might be a chance that your current experience has only been improved because the game's aggressive DRM was adjusted in response to the claims and public pressure that you are so quick to dismiss?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Digital restrictions management is the single greatest decline in video games as far as I'm concerned and anyone who would defend or make light of it is a cuckold who is part of the problem. Anyone who uses DRM in their game deserves nothing but failure, financial and otherwise. I make it a point to only buy DRM free games, because they are the only ones that should ever be supported so that good practices are encouraged over bad ones. When a developer will not sell me a DRM free version of their game, I assume they don't want my money and I will find the product I want from someone who released a DRM free version, for purchase or otherwise.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The easiest way to make DRM popular is to have lootboxes in him. You will have different skins for him,or different level of encryption et cetera. If you pre-order the mega ultra deluxe edition now,you will get a free blaster master,capable of messing up even the newest SSD!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not arguing with you, just stating a fact. Do you find it unreasonable that paying customers would expect a better experience than pirates?

This is completely unreasonable. That's why I was against DRM when that was actually the case. Today it's not a case. There is no aggressive DRM anymore.

Do you think that there might be a chance that your current experience has only been improved because the game's aggressive DRM was adjusted in response to the claims and public pressure?

Oh absolutely. The fact that we only have Denuvo today is certainly due to public pressure. But fighting against DRM now is like fighting against slavery in 2017. It's mostly hipsterism and virtue signalling.

No, fighting against DRM is a logical thing to do especially when you are a legit player. I would never even bother to touch the games with denuvo on them and I won't pay for them.

I get games from gog because I understand that if I wanted a good experience I have to crack the games instead of paying them. Instead, when I read Denuvo on them or any sort of protection, I start laughing on them and I feast on the complainers for not having a functional brain of choosing not to endorse bad practices.

And to be honest, I truly hope that a drm such as the one currently on AC, gets spread to a whole miriad of games, because I like the tasty tears of people that wish to play but can't.

Last but not least, I do not understand how you can compare what a cracker says (they couldn't care less about profit, for them cracking is a game) with a company that wish to fuck crackers and doesn't care about the collateral damage.

And for you having to connect is not a hassle, but for me it is

Cael

Arcane
My only problem with DRM is this: I may want to play my game on an aircraft while crossing the ocean from Australia to America. It would be helpful if the game does not: a) cost me a bomb in roaming fees, and b) has the potential to bring the plane down when I am in it.

Found a relevant image

oed3NqU.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, fighting against DRM is a logical thing to do especially when you are a legit player. I would never even bother to touch the games with denuvo on them and I won't pay for them.

Why? Ya'll repeat that like holy mantra but nobody ITT has ever explained themselves. Everyone got galactically butthurt when I said being anti-DRM today is pure feelzy hipsterism but the best counterargument anyone manage to produce, aside from pressing "Shit" or "Retarded", is to blabber about servers going down or posting irrelevant movie related shit.

okay, I will make you understand with simple reasoning:

I have to power on my pc.
Install the game
Play the game

without having to connect.

Or without having to connect for saving my progress.

Or without having to have lower fps because there is a background process constantly checking for my copy

Or without having to hope that the servers aren't down while I play

Is that enough for you? I got to fap now so I can't write more.

sorry

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
okay, I will make you understand with simple reasoning:

I have to power on my pc.
Install the game
Play the game

without having to connect.

Or without having to connect for saving my progress.

Or without having to have lower fps because there is a background process constantly checking for my copy

Or without having to hope that the servers aren't down while I play

Is that enough for you? I got to fap now so I can't write more.

sorry

So what are all those single-player games that require you to play online nowadays? The Simcity-style DRM is long dead and buried, together with all the other stupid invasive DRMs of yore. And you can run Steam games offline.

Again - nobody uses any DRM today besides Denuvo and that doesn't limit you in any way (fairytales about higher CPU usage and damaging SSD are horseshit made up by people trying to rationalize their emoshunal hatred for DRM). It seems it's very difficult to get this point across to the anti-DRM crowd. As if you're still stuck 10 years in the past.

T. Reich

Arcane
So what are all those single-player games that require you to play online nowadays? The Simcity-style DRM is long dead and buried, together with all the other stupid invasive DRMs of yore. And you can run Steam games offline.

You can't install Steam games offline. Yes, even if you bought a physical copy of the game.
Unless you crack them.
:dealwithit:

Or buy them on GOG or a similar DRM-free distro.:obviously:

Also, the reason why a lot of that shitty DRM is stuff of the past is because players actually made a point of fucking up the publishers who resorted to that crap.
Giving these "people" even a hint of that this sort of shit is acceptable is a recipe for disaster.

Luckily for me I'm the epithome of a patient gamer and I'll wait for a game to get fully patched before playing it :P

I do not use Steam because I abhor online, won't even get the free games from humble bundle when they come out because I prefere not to have a game than forcing a drm on myself.

You are telling the truth that we are stuck as it was 10 years ago. I still remember when Starforce killed my cd-drive and I had to resort to cracking T2T to play it.
I have had enough of this shit. It's like ADS (not aids, but advertisements). I've seen them enough for the next 45 years. I will block every ads and avoid visiting every website that hosts them.

The same can be said for DRM. Best part of all this, if I wish to shit on some developers, I will buy them from g2a, then I will hope they will disable my key so they will steal money from developers.

Cael

Arcane
I have had enough of this shit. It's like ADS (not aids, but advertisements). I've seen them enough for the next 45 years. I will block every ads and avoid visiting every website that hosts them.
Dude, you realise this forum has ads out the wazoo, right?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, the reason why a lot of that shitty DRM is stuff of the past is because players actually made a point of fucking up the publishers who resorted to that crap.

Going in fucking circles here.

Yes, the reason slavery is a thing of the past is because of abolishionists. Grandstanding TODAY against slavery is retarded. That's why the anti-DRM crowd TODAY is a bunch of laughable hipsters. Jesus fucking christ is it really so difficult to understand? Ffs.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, while I am not anti-DRM exactly, the reason I don't like DRM is: most of the time it requires you to always be online and the fact that your game lifetime is as long as the DRM provider is live. Steam for example is a pretty tame DRM and I have no reason to hate it. You can even play single player games offline so long you have launched it online once.

Denuvo right is not actually just an anti-tamper, but it actually always online. You need constant internet connection, otherwise AFAIK the game will boot you out after several hours.

And I really really hate that shit. A company asking you to have online checking every some hours is pretty much treating you as potential thieves. Basically "WE WANT TO CHECK YOUR IDENTITY EVERY SEVERAL HOURS BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BE A THIEF" is not a company mindset that I would like to support. Participating, by buying, those products means that I am okay being treated like that. And I am not okay with it.

"WHO THE FUCK IS NOT CONNECTED ALL THE TIME IN 2017 LOL
I do. I work in agronomy division which means 10 days in a month I am actually in bumfucknowhere with no internet connection because I visit the plantation. If every game started to do the always online shit it means 10 days a month I CANT PLAY SOMETHING I LEGALLY BUY.

The same reason I despise new Windows is because they actually collecting info on your computing habit, having mandatory updates, etc. It robs you ownership of the product you legally buy. "You want to use Windows? Great, pay up 30 dollars and let us datamine you for fun profit!" Fuck that kind of corporation arseholery.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, while I am not anti-DRM exactly, the reason I don't like DRM is: most of the time it requires you to always be online

:trump-wrong:
No DRM requires you to be always online anymore.

Denuvo right is not actually just an anti-tamper, but it actually always online.

Nope, another myth. IIRC Denuvo protected games need to reactivate only when you reinstall them - duh - or change hardware (how often do you change your CPU or GPU?).

Sorry bro, unlike the others at least you're trying to present an argument. But you're just wrong. You, just like the rest of the anti-DRM crowd, keep arguing against something that has not been a thing for a decade now.

The way I read it is most people actually don't have any arguments against modern DRM. They either virtue signal, go with the crowd without much thinking or just want them sweet warez. All of that is laughable.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interestingly (because i don't give a damn about most modern games, especially popamole), i can easily see the current AAA studio approach to DRM turning into another dark age of emulated videogames (probably only a plus for these guys).

If you don't know, quite a few Amiga games for a long while had to be cracked, badly and broken, to even work on emulators because of the byzantine copy protections on the system depended on more than what the ROM dumpers recorded. This lead to broken games, projects to remove CP and make better cracks and dumps, attempts to make games that depend on stupid hardware tolerances respond better to variance etc. Also much bigger ROM dumps than necessary, and games that perform worse than necessary.

If these people are retarded enough to put a game into a virtual machine as 'standard' and contacting a server every 10 frames, imagine that virtual machine running on a emulator, lel.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Fortunately, in most cases nothing of value is lost. 99% of new games are total shit, both PC and console.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The way I read it is most people actually don't have any arguments against modern DRM.

Yeah, it's very easy to say that when you dismiss all arguments as not important.

durr, so what if there's performance increase... durr the servers are totally never gonna be closed... durr it's fine to install multiple clients for the same game durr durr durr

In fact, you're not looking for any arguments. You just want to be right and convince others of your rightness.

And besides all that, the biggest retardation of them all, that Steam games can be played offline. Fuck off. You're retarded.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
BAAA BAAA

You're not even trying, just mindlessly repeating the same old made up bullshit I've responded ITT a milion times. Good job fiercely retarding all my posts without actually reading them. Says more than words.

All this has been an utter waste of time. Not that I didn't expect it but I can never stay silent in the face of retarded virtue signalling and sheep mentality.
So long hipsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom