Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original Deus Ex had object highlighting

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep! I wonder if you could mod DX:HR highlighting to work like that.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The object highlight in the original Deus Ex was also much less intrusive than the glowing yellow frames in HR.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Best of two words would be this + global highlighting when awesome button is pressed.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Object highlighting becomes absolute necessity in specific situation: poorly designed maps, a lot of distracting junk, unclear distinction between interactive and uninteractive objects.
I played the entire game without once turning the highlighting on. I never encountered a situation where I needed to in order to progress to the next part. The level design was never very hard to begin with in terms of knowing what needed to be done next. Which part did you feel it became an "absolute necessity"?

AngryKobold

Arcane
Object highlighting becomes absolute necessity in specific situation: poorly designed maps, a lot of distracting junk, unclear distinction between interactive and uninteractive objects.
I played the entire game without once turning the highlighting on. I never encountered a situation where I needed to in order to progress to the next part. The level design was never very hard to begin with in terms of knowing what needed to be done next. Which part did you feel it became an "absolute necessity"?

Not there. More like mess made in "Thi4f". IRC the only object you could overlook in DX:HR was destructible wall.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I like this game.

If you try and play it as a CoD FPS it's shit.

If you sperg out and meticulously explore, perform non-lethal takedown on 90% of enemies (no kills besides bosses), don't trip alarms (Smooth Operator award), hack every computer, and don't get seen (Ghost award), this game feels much more rewarding. Enemy AI isn't perfect, but the stealth is quite enjoyable.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like this game.

If you sperg out and meticulously explore, perform non-lethal takedown on 90% of enemies (no kills besides bosses), don't trip alarms (Smooth Operator award), hack every computer, and don't get seen (Ghost award), this game feels much more rewarding. Enemy AI isn't perfect, but the stealth is quite enjoyable.
Why would you do anything else? You can, it's easy.

Even then, the game is a mediocre shooter with repetitive encounters and level design. Much less interactive then the original.

Not bad, but ME was better. And it's sad.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Even then, the game is a mediocre shooter with repetitive encounters and level design.

The only time I've fired my weapon was to either disable them with a dart, or to lure them to a spot for a takedown.

I think the level design is decent. Saying it's worse than Mass Effect is a pretty snide insinuation anyways and it's disingenuous at best.

Gozma

Arcane
How bizarre was that final boss fight without Missing Link setting it up?

The director's cut things make it sound like it was an Obsidian type deal where they fucked the scope up completely and had to hack together a game from the 1/10th of the content they could actually produce relative to their initial outline

Why did everyone bitch about the bossfights so much, even without some contrived ways to hack things to kill the boss for you? At least they give you a reason to use anything but takedowns and the stungun and/or pistol.

bloodlover

Arcane
Why did everyone bitch about the bossfights so much, even without some contrived ways to hack things to kill the boss for you? At least they give you a reason to use anything but takedowns and the stungun and/or pistol.

Most people played the game with hacking and sneaking in mind, thus having almost zero combat stats. Then all of a sudden, after x hours of sneaking through vents and silently taking down the enemy you are forced to use combat. It was really a bad decision in terms of design and Director's Cut fixed it (a bit).

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't help that the first boss seems to be the hardest. I got him on my 50th or 60th try, and that was after I broke down and read some online hints about dealing with the situation. That kind of thing never happened in Deus Ex.

Gozma

Arcane
The game doesn't really have "combat stats" though.

First guy, threw a gas grenade and shot him 6 times in the head with the magnum, cloaked, ran to a different pillar, threw some landmines and frag grenades I'd picked here and there, dead. I actually reloaded the quicksaves before the bosses a few times to play them again after beating them just for the fun of not only doing stealth game stuff and getting to use the magnum, PEPS, combat rifle, etc. instead of them all being almost useless because the basic pistol and the stungun are the ultimate mookslayers (at least after you get too tired of seeing the cutscene punches to do that anymore)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The game doesn't really have "combat stats" though.

First guy, threw a gas grenade and shot him 6 times in the head with the magnum, cloaked, ran to a different pillar, threw some landmines and frag grenades I'd picked here and there, dead. I actually reloaded the quicksaves before the bosses a few times to play them again after beating them just for the fun of not only doing stealth game stuff and getting to use the magnum, PEPS, combat rifle, etc. instead of them all being almost useless because the basic pistol and the stungun are the ultimate mookslayers (at least after you get too tired of seeing the cutscene punches to do that anymore)

Yeah, it's not stats. I think lots of people just didn't carry around weapons. I did, just for the fun of kitting them with upgrades occasionally, but I sure didn't use them often.

Sodafish

Arcane
It doesn't help that the first boss seems to be the hardest. I got him on my 50th or 60th try, and that was after I broke down and read some online hints about dealing with the situation. That kind of thing never happened in Deus Ex.

Just cheese him with explosives. Run and crouch behind that block of concrete right in front of you, and then lob grenades/mines at his feet until he dies. If you time them right he never even gets a single shot off. I have no qualms about doing this as the game forces the stupid boss fight on you.

praetor

Arcane
I like this game.

while it's not a particularly good Shooter, the shooting is much better than the original. from weapons to sounds to AI it's a marked improvement. level and skills/augs design is clearly inferior

Gozma

Arcane
Does anyone happen to know this bit of minutia:

When you play the version of Missing Link in the Director's Cut, at the beginning you get a chance to open a box that will give you back whatever weapons you had on you when you entered the DLC. You have the option not to open this box and still continue the game. Now, you also normally open a box at the end of the DLC that will give you back all the level-ups you made before the point you entered the DLC plus all the other equipment you had on you. I'm wondering: if you don't take the weapons back at the start of missing link, will they be in the box at the end? Or lost forever?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No idea but I don't recall weapons being hard to come by in this game or money/credits being scarce.

Gozma

Arcane
Missing link seems like it was designed to be run from scratch gear-wise; bringing a juiced up weapon from the main game makes finding shit like a silencer/laser sight meaningless. Also don't want to haul around guns like the PEPS that IIRC has no ammo in the whole DLC.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Lol at people saying ME had better level design than popamole revolution. ME and other Bioware ARPGs has the shittiest level design in the history of ARPGs.
They design levels as if they were still restricted by isometric view, not taking advantage of down to earth 3D at all. Retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom