Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, I never bothered with typhoon except against bosses (it's pretty good there, though).

For saving Malik, I just went rambo in there (mostly): sprinting from enemy to enemy and punching them out + tazing them from close range while throwing gas grenades at distant enemies, refilling energy from candy bars as needed. Once they started focusing on me instead of the copter, I started taking cover and sniping with the tranq gun. The bot must die before it can stand up -- I usually threw an EMP to take care of it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The problem is that going rembo is not an option for me. My reaction and fps savvy sucks. I get killed in 3 seconds if i do that. And from the 15 times i have already replayed this shit, bot desended only 2 times. Malik was dead by that time already.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sniper rifle head shots on the heavies from my starting vantage point. EMP grenade on the bot as soon as possible. Clean up the last couple of his with stun gun. On normal difficulty, regular version back when it was just released. I think it took me 2-3 tries to figure it out. It was fairly easy after. The nice thing about sniping the fuck out of everyone is that you don't waste time moving around

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I managed to snipe about every heavy gunner (around five i guess) and bot didn't even came down at this point, Malik was still dead. One thing i have to mention that i use silenced sniper rifle. Guess it deals less damage than the basic one so i need at least two head shot to take down most of the gunners there. Guess i'll just let her die, goddamit. Or use a god mode trainer or smth.
Also i read in some walkthrough that there are soe explosive barrels that can be used against them, but i don't see any. Only 3 gas cisterns that i can throw at them in hopes some of them choke retreat for some time, IF they blow up after impact.
Guess i'm just too slow for fast paced action like this.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, the silencer probably works against you here... you WANT the bad guys to notice you so you can draw some fire from the copter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I managed to snipe about every heavy gunner (around five i guess) and bot didn't even came down at this point, Malik was still dead. One thing i have to mention that i use silenced sniper rifle. Guess it deals less damage than the basic one so i need at least two head shot to take down most of the gunners there. Guess i'll just let her die, goddamit. Or use a god mode trainer or smth.
Also i read in some walkthrough that there are soe explosive barrels that can be used against them, but i don't see any. Only 3 gas cisterns that i can throw at them in hopes some of them choke retreat for some time, IF they blow up after impact.
Guess i'm just too slow for fast paced action like this.

How long does it take you to get rid of the gunners? What I remember is that if you dawdled, the snipers on the second floor would eventually do enough damage to kill the chopper, so you have to take care of those guys too, not just wait for the bot to show up. Although it didn't hurt this guy:

baturinsky

Arcane
I remember saving Malik in pacifist mode without much problem just by melee-ing and stungunning everyone. You usually have a lot of consumables by this moment, just chew on them.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Oh god, i managed it!
1906-04-21hurrah.jpg

Went right down with a cloak on and took few fellas out with bare hands. For some funny reason as soon as Jensen was in the epicenter around the heli, bot descended almost immediately and i typhooned it to hell right away. For some reason i think there were less troopers this time. I remember the first time, when i just sat in the cover, letting Malik die, i had to take down at least 15 guys including snipers and light machine gunners, because the heavy ones went after me from the right side via ladder, whom i took out with explosive revolver.
I think there is some script that takes more troopers appear the longer you camp behind that roof cover. This time i think i only took down like 7-8 guys. Something fishy about this mission.

Thanks God, back to ghosting. Haven't had such satisfaction after completing a mission in a vidya for a long time. :eagletear:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I remember saving Malik in pacifist mode without much problem just by melee-ing and stungunning everyone. You usually have a lot of consumables by this moment, just chew on them.
Yeah, funny innit? It's really easier to take care of this situation in close combat. But that was very counter intuitive.

SoupNazi

It's been a while but I think you need to run up to the VTOL and stay close to it?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Used the heavy rifle on this fight and an EMP grenade on the bot. The most annoying are the snipers, they are really well hidden and kept firing at the choppa. After a few reloads I just sniped the snipers from the platform you start, quickly, then got down to mow down the rest with the heavy rifle as my popamole shooting skills are shitty. I wished there were mor fights like this on Human Revolution, many times I had lots of fun guns to play with but rarely the occasion showed off. Like they are making the combat better on the sequel.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Don't know what is VTOL, but if you mean Malik's heli, then that's probably right. I couldn't figure out how to draw all the fire on me from the roof cover. Also, i think you need to get there ASAP if only because not to allow the heavy gunners start circling around the heli. You must take them down while they're still approaching from the front. After that is don and bot descends, it was all much easyer. Take down the bot with typhoon and the light machine gunners and snipers are not that much of a concern anymore. Took one of them by pure chance by blowing up the red barrel on the second floor that is right in front of the roof Jensen lands on although i didn't see him, but heard the scream.:D The other ones were easy pickings, because with fully upgraded dermal armor they don't make us much damage as shotgun or heavy rifle.

Anyhow, it was imperative to save Malik for me. She's probably one of the most likeable female NPCs i've ever encountered in vidya. Not the typical stronk womyn in bikini armor. Despite the short trimmed hair and all intelligent and savvy, she's very feminine and likable at the same time. :blush:

Btw, great game overall. Not any worse than the original imo. Both have flaws, but they're overshadowed by all the good in it. Also, even the medium (give me challenge) i play on seems much harder than the medium in original DX. Rare thing in modern games. Few shots and Jensen's dead even with dermal armor. Without it even lowly thugs can take him out in open fire fight in couple of seconds so ''popamole'' is actually integral to survive here. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Also: why the fyck would anyone play this game in ''pacifist mode''. All those bastards are after you. Any reason to do so would be chasing after idiotic steam achievements or laughable 250 xp bonus. Not fun. Those blades need some use, otherwise they'll rust. I only make none-lethal take downs if they're needed tactically (makes less racket).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I saved Malik by rushing with stun weapons I believe. You rambo a bit right away to draw attention. Then you poke in and out of the various cover options available.

I remember I could take down one "side" pretty easily (usually went to the right first), but I had trouble getting the left side to take those dudes down.

baturinsky

Arcane
Also: why the fyck would anyone play this game in ''pacifist mode''. All those bastards are after you. Any reason to do so would be chasing after idiotic steam achievements or laughable 250 xp bonus. Not fun. Those blades need some use, otherwise they'll rust. I only make none-lethal take downs if they're needed tactically (makes less racket).
To avoid turning decent stealth action into a poor FPS, among other things.

Gozma

Arcane
The lethal cutscene punch actually causes more noise than the nonlethal. Nonlethal is almost silent, to the point that e.g. you can come out of the vent and knock out one of two guys in the same room looking in different directions, even though the cutscene punch has you doing a piledriver on the guy through a stack of dinner plates

You may say, but doesn't the nonlethal cutscene punch give more XP and has no relevant downside? You are correct. Call Sawyer

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

FFS. The cover humping, radar-based cutscene K.O stealth is just as, if not more mole-poppingly bad than the combat.

You may say, but doesn't the nonlethal cutscene punch give more XP and has no relevant downside? You are correct. Call Sawyer

No noise, more XP, faster cutscene times on average, and faster for the player to execute (tap the key as opposed to hold).

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
You are missing the point. I still ghost everyone most of the time and avoid the ''hostile'' bar appear. I just prefer killing most of the fucks like belltower or human front fucks instead of trying be ''merciful soul''. The ''ghost'' bonus does not depend on whether you kill or stun. Pacifist is only relevant if you also want the ''smooth operator'' bonus, which is miserably low.

Also, i don't see how HR is poorer than any other shooter. Can you give examples of why it's poor as a basic shooter. I think gun play is p. ok. (in before OLOL TEH DOOM IS TEH GRATEST ŠUTER EVAH LEL).

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm just probably more empathetic to AI than people usually are, so my conscience tingle a little bit each time I cap somebody. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy violent games, like Carmageddon or Far Cry, but if the game gives an option of pacifist playthrough, I often take it.
Said that, it was psychologically hard not to mow down Belltower in pod hotel attack.

As for HR-as-FPS, it was a long time ago when I last played it as one, but I remember it being too easy and dumb. If I want to play FPS, I prefer something that has FPS as a primary focus and not constrained with a pretence of realism.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, i don't play many fps, especially the new ones (last 4-5 years) and compared to what i experienced previously, it didn't feel more flawed than those that i played. I remember F.E.A.R. being advertised as a great FPS with good AI and i cruised through it most of the time even with my sub par reaction and experience in the genre (i had to write review for a local magazine at the time, so i forced myself to play it even though i was never fond of FPS games). Now i'm even more retarded and still i think i'd cruise through FPSes of 10 year past as oposed to HR, which seems really hard if you try to run & gun.

As for empathy..
[David Sarif's voice] God damn, Jensen, they want you dead, don't you understand? No negotiations, no deals just your cold corpse on the dish is what they want.
I did make intentional none lethal take downs at the start of the game even against scum just to get the sweet 50 or 125 xp reward, but still killed some of the baddies out of sheer enjoyment of killing scum. Now that i'm almost fully augmented with all i wanted i see no reason to go for anything but kill except for quest related sub objectives or, because i don't really hate the particular guy/s and know they're just doing their job.

All the mercs that work for megacorps DESERVE to die in most painful death imaginable, so Jensen is too merciful even with his lethal takedowns anyway. I would hang their carcases upside down, slice the crack in the neck and let them slowly die from bleeding if that was an option.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There were some asshole mercs but a lot of the enemies in the game are normal cops, soldiers, or private security that wouldn't be aware they're doing bad things.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
They are minority. For example, would you see the Highland Park mercs oblivious of what they're doing. And especially Belltower fucks. They're mercs for hire. They do shit for highest bidder as is said in the game itself. They deserve to die. It was their choice to be immoral deuches. They have to deal with the consequences. I'm going through the china district for the second time, killing those fucks out of sheer enjoyment now, even though i know they could have been avoided.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I believe that nobody "deserve" to be harmed. Though sometimes harming is a necessity.
I believe that a lot of people deserve to be harmed. And in HR it seems that MOST of the foes deserve death. There are very miniscule part that i was reluctant to kill. Like in Police Station. I killed no one, but incapacitated some. Mercs on the other hand. Fuck them. :riddick:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom