Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The developers

Slylandro

Scholar
AMDG, what most of the Codexers are trying to say, in varying degrees, is that the stuff you're lingering on right now is pretty trivial. If you were to make an interesting suggestion about AoD's game mechanics or something important the others might be more receptive.

AMDG

Novice
Well , my intention here is not to provide unwanted dialogue , but to bring some well-intended suggestions - and to bring some arguments in their support . I thought constructive criticism is wanted in the development stage . Apparently the game is almost finished ( as a concept at last ) , so there is only room for minor improvments in some areas at least .

Bradylama

Arcane
Only, your ideas have been shot down already by Vince himself, yet you persist in insisting on those auto-crossbows and their exploding bolts.

Your ideas have been exposed as being hokey tripe that doesn't even fit the setting. You keep insisting on features that VD didn't put in in the game, and for all we know doesn't want to put in ever. He knows all about what a game "needs" and he doesn't need somebody dictating what's required for his own game to be fun. What you're doing is practically like walking into Id studios and telling them that they need a BFG in every Goddamn game they make because it "rewards the player."

You're not being constructively critical, you're telling him what you want the game to be.

Lumpy

Arcane
Complaining that the game doesn't have feature X, which is hardly important, doesn't really count as constructive criticism.
The only constructive thing is the party, although you should explain why the party is that important.

Slylandro

Scholar
I think the problem is that much of the stuff you're suggesting would do better in a steampunk kind of game, which is not exactly 100% what VD is aiming for.

AMDG

Novice
"Complaining that the game doesn't have feature X, which is hardly important"

The eye of the beholder ...

"although you should explain why the party is that important"

Party dialogue , reactions,number limitations , party-related quests , alignment and so on ...

Slith

Scholar
AMDG said:
"Complaining that the game doesn't have feature X, which is hardly important"

The eye of the beholder ...

"although you should explain why the party is that important"

Party dialogue , reactions,number limitations , party-related quests , alignment and so on ...

Play Bioware games much?

Party Dialogue - You've got NPC's, a party isn't truly neccessary.
Reactions - Once again, NPC's will provide the reactions.
Number Limitations - ? Limited... numbers... You mean like, limited party members? Did you take a hit of something when you typed this?
Party-Related Quests - There are player related quests, works fine for me.
Alignment - From what I've read about it. This wouldn't fit at all, as there is no 'evil' and no 'good'.

AMDG

Novice
"Play Bioware games much? "

Nope , Troika :)

'You've got NPC's, a party isn't truly neccessary"

You can hire mercenaries even if you play Diablo 2.

" Once again, NPC's will provide the reactions"

Inside the party , forciing someone to make choices ...

"Limited... numbers... "

Charisma-related , to be more exact .

"there is no 'evil' and no 'good'."

Interesting - is there an alignment with the various factions at least ?

AMDG

Novice
"Yes."

I like that - I remember Everquest introduced that to mainstream gaming ( I might be wrong however )

AMDG

Novice
"Daggerfall came out 3 years before Everquest"

Thank you for pointing that out. Sadly Oblivion is lacking the amount of interaction found in Fallout-type games .

Lumpy

Arcane
AMDG said:
"Daggerfall came out 3 years before Everquest"

Thank you for pointing that out. Sadly Oblivion is lacking the amount of interaction found in Fallout-type games .
What does Oblivion have to do with anything?

AMDG

Novice
Is different ( read - worse ) from Daggerfall and is endangering the development of Fallout 3 - by proving that pretty graphics sell .

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
tarkin said:
AMDG said:
"some powerful weapons"

Not compared to medieval standards eg repeating crossbows , explosive bolts crossbows etc ."

For fucks sake, stop whining about explosive bolts and ubar crossbows already. You're a pain in the ass mucker.

Also, is there some handicap for newbies on AoD forums? He would be ripped apart and eaten in the General RPG Discussion.

/rant over

I think VD wants any and all feedback from all spectrums of the gaming community. Why is the same true in PtD forums and Wolf’s foums? Why would VD involve the community in his game, ask questions, value their feedback, and then make an atmosphere that is hostile and makes people with feedback hesitate to provide it.

Due to the nature of this forum it has to be more open, less critical of silly questions and beliefs, and less hostile to people that say different things. And on the other hand, since VD is critical of people’s games, not allowing people to be critical of his game, or allowing the fanboys to blindly defend his game when there is some criticism (sensible or not) would just provide hypocrite ammo for others to use against him and his game.

This isn’t a codex news forum, this is a game development forum. I know I would like games that I am interested in to be more like how I want them, for instance Drakensung with TB combat. I would also like this game to have a party just for combat reasons (nothing like tactical, strategic, party, tb combat ala ToEE and RoA). This guy would like it for romances, and talking. He’s gay, nothing wrong with that. It’s the 21st century. He likes romance and talking and wants it in a game he finds interesting but lacking something he would love to see in it due to being gay. Should he keep this to himself? He’s here and he’s queer, he won’t keep it to himself since VD wants his feedback.

You had me right till the end there Roqua, but still agree with the rest of your surprisingly calm and penis reference free post.

Also I fucking hate people who sling around that n00bies R st00pid shit. Get over yourself tarkin.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
AMDG said:
which is not a part of medieval warfare in Europe , but we can't have repeating crossbows or explosive crossbow bolts ? We even have flaming swords , which are unheard of in Europe .
I am not the person who suggested that "medieval standards" matter however. At least we've now made clear that any "medieval standards" are irrelevant for AoD. As are the armouries of the Tang or the Song coincidentally.

You can hire mercenaries even if you play Diablo 2.
Are you going to make a point anytime soon or do I have to imagine one?

Inside the party , forciing someone to make choices ...
How droll. You know there is no party in Aod, so what are you trying to imply? That you need a party so NPCs can force you to make choices?

Interesting - is there an alignment with the various factions at least ?
Have you already taken a look at the character screen? Have you read any of the recent interviews? Have you ever bothered to visit the website?
You can't expect VD or anyone to explain every detail of the game to you personally. Go and inform yourself, THEN you can discuss the game.

PS: www.irontowerstudio.com - because I am too fucking nice.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
AMDG said:
I thought constructive criticism is wanted in the development stage.
Constructive criticism is wanted. Let's look at your input:

I want:
explosive bolts
party banter
explosive bolts
supar crossbows loaded with explosive bolts
explosive bolts
ubar weaponz. with explosive bolts attached to them
robots, golems, and ninjas shooting explosive bolts
party related quests (you didn't elaborate but something tells me explosive bolts are somehow involved)
alignment (wtf?!!!)
did I mention explosive bolts? I think they are awesome! Don't you?

I strongly dislike:
the lack of explosive bolts
weird magic system
not enough recipes (we have 20 different "recipes", for the record)
no romances (how else I'm supposed to get laid?!)
no supar ubar weapons
Did I make my point?

AMDG

Novice
"alignment (wtf?!!!) "

Arcanum , BG2 ? Ok , it's your game after all - and you have only a 4 man team , I know ...

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
There is faction alignment. Just not the standard, silly, and stupid good vs. evil.

Your actions make you evil, not the games unambiguous take on what is evil and good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Look at it that way. We all have some free time after work. What do we do with it? Watch TV, play games, do some work around the house, go to bars and get drunk, visit some stupid friends your wife likes, etc. So, instead of playing games for hours, I'm working on a game for hours.

You still go to bars and get drunk though surely? I ain't buying a game from no goddamn t-totaller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom