Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Devil's Men, Daedalic adventure game set in a steampunk Victorian England - officially dead

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.adventuregamers.com/news/view/26594

Daedalic bringing life to The Devil’s Men in spring 2015

Daedalic and author Kevin Mentz are leaving behind Memoria's fantasy settings of Aventuria for Victorian-era steampunk in their latest adventure, The Devil's Men, announced today at E3.

The Devil's Men stars 20-year-old Adelaide Spektor, the daughter of famous detective Karol Spektor, who abandoned her as a child. Adelaide lives in a small seaside town beset by a series of murders that trace back to "the old exhibition grounds, where ruins of steel and glass are the new shelter to a gang of waifs and strays, misfits and tramps." With these outsiders asserting more and more influence in town through any means necessary, the principled Adelaide hides in fear of being discovered by the colony and forced into their ranks. When she "witnesses the murder of her father’s old friend, she sees her chance to find Karol Spektor and reclaim her former place in society. But only the notorious colonist and double murderer Emily can help take up Adelaide’s father’s trail."

The game's title is named after a "coterie of scientists who exceeded the limits of the spiritual and material world decades ago, yet are bizarrily perishing one after another." Players will need to guide the two protagonists in their efforts to find the connection between these "Devil's Men" and Karol Spector. Naturally, since this is Daedalic, this will all take place in gorgeous hand-painted environments in "a world made of steampunk elements amidst a fictitious Victorian England." Along the way, there will not not only be "challenging puzzles" to overcome but many opportunities to influence the storyline, as gamers "will have to consider all the possible ways to solve a puzzle, because every decision might change the story."

The Devil's Men is currently on pace for release sometime in spring 2015.

thedevilsmen2.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That means no sequel to Memoria, I guess. Darth Roxor is disappoint.

This sounds pretty cool, though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Steampunk could be cool. Will cautiously fap.

And no sequel to Memoria MAKES TEH BABY JEBUS CRY!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This looks very promising, but even better would've been a RPG in a Victorian setting.

V_K

Arcane
When will they finally do something QfG-like, for fuck's sake?!
I mean - they're an adventure developer that has a TDE license, and what do the do with it? First - adventure games (no RPG whatsoever). Then - a combat-focused RPG (TDE being probably the least combat-focused major ruleset). It's not that those aren't great, but seriously - how long should we wait till they put 2 and 2 together?
:x

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/e3-2014-young-publisher-goes-for-the-big-time
E3 2014: YOUNG PUBLISHER GOES FOR THE BIG TIME
Daedalic has Devil’s Men, Silence, and Blackguards 2 all due out within the next year.

BY SCOTT BUTTERWORTH

Since 2008, Germany’s Daedalic Entertainment has developed 28 games and published nearly two dozen more. If that’s not enough to make you feel inadequate and unproductive, how ‘bout this: The studio currently has three wildly different titles (that we know of) in development, all of which were on display – in various stages of completion – behind closed doors at E3. Talk about overachieving, right?

First off, adventure game The Devil’s Men, a steampunk murder mystery set in a foggy, fictional seaside town in nineteenth century Victorian Britain. Though perhaps not as grimy as the back alleys of London, this town – which once hosted a world’s fair-esque exhibition – still serves as the killing ground for a serial killer who’s systematically picking off the members of a supposedly secret organization of villainous scientists (the aforementioned Devil’s Men). Given that all the victims are vicious murders themselves, the game will no doubt question the relative morality of the killer.

You’ll alternately control two protagonists with occasionally conflicting interests: Adelaide, the daughter of a long-missing Sherlock Holmes-type who believes cracking this case might lead her to her father (and back into the comforts of upper class living), and Emily, a street kid with ties to the criminal underworld who’s basically forced to assist Adelaide. According the Daedalic, the game’s split perspective structure while inevitably lead you to favor one character over the other.

For example, while scouting a crime scene, Adelaide may find evidence that incriminates Emily, at which point you can decide to hide the information, share your discovery with Emily, or even expose her to the authorities. Whatever decision you make will bend the story in a new direction and dictate which gameplay section you experience next, turning the game into a giant push-and-pull balancing act.

In addition to these decisions (and the accompanying dialogue trees), there will also be the expected mix of puzzles built around item gathering, clue collecting, and code cracking. In classic PC adventure game style, most of this gameplay focuses on navigating your cursor around a static area in search of items to interact with, though Daedalic promises it’s going to keep inane item-combining to a minimum in favor of more meaningful story-driven puzzle solving.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It looks beautiful. Let's hope it doesn't suck.

Odds are it won't.

You could perhaps read about it in detail if some faggots on the staff finally posted the first part of my Gamescom report

*glares*

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not a fan of Daedalic's adventure games but I think this one might be a pleasant surprise [link]:

The Devil´s Men

In “The Devil’s Men” players will influence the storyline with every move and decision they make. Gamers will have to consider all the possible ways to solve a puzzle, because every decision might change the story.

Author Kevin Mentz, known for his critically acclaimed fantasy-adventure Memoria, invented with “The Devil’s Men” a world made of steampunk elements amidst a fictitious Victorian England. In classic adventure gameplay, challenging puzzles are cleverly combined to a thrilling criminal case.

England, 1871: A sleepy seaside town – once venue of a legendary world exhibition – is kept in suspense by a bizarre series of murders. The trace leads to the old exhibition grounds, where ruins of steel and glass are the new shelter to a gang of waifs and strays, misfits and tramps – known as “The Colony”. To buoy up, the colony pursues more and more influence in the town and doesn’t shirk from ruthless means.

The 20-year-old Adelaide Spektor feels threatened by this menace. Adelaide was still a child when she was left by her father, the famous detective Karol Spektor. Since then, she is hiding on the town’s streets and lives in fear to be discovered by the colony and to get swept up in a life of crime, contrary to the morals of her family. When she witnesses the murder of her father’s old friend, she sees her chance to find Karol Spektor and reclaim her former place in society. But only the notorious colonist and double murderer Emily can help take up Adelaide’s father’s trail.

Together the two women get entangled in a plot leading to the “Devil’s Men” – a coterie of scientists who have exceeded the limits of the spiritual and material world decades ago, yet are bizarrily perishing one after another. Will Adelaide and Emily manage to track down Karol Spektor? And what is his connection to the Devil’s Men?

944x531.jpg

944x531.jpg

944x531.jpg

944x531.jpg

Scene_Parlor_1920_.jpg

Scene_Clocktower_Lobby_1920_.jpg

Scene_Hallway_night_1920_.jpg

I think it looks delicious. But there is more according to The Escapist [link]:

The Devil's Men is a Steampunk mystery set in a seaside Victorian town. The whole Victorian/Steampunk thing is quickly veering towards becoming gaming's most overused setting, but somehow I'm not tired of it yet. Maybe it's because of how nice the game looks, like an animated movie come to life. Unfortunately, because the build was so early, there wasn't yet any voice acting, though Daedalic Game and Narrative Designer Kevin Mentz assured me there would be in the final product.

Naturally, such an early build of the game was hands off, but I watched as Mentz played through the same scene twice, with different outcomes each time. Mentz namedropped Telltale's adventure games and stated that The Devil's Men would have a similar system of decision-making in which player choices could lead to distinctly different outcomes.

Well, fake C&C is better than nothing.

Edit: The writer is Kevon Mentz which is also the writer of Memoria.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Also there are couple of seconds of animation in the video below [from 0:50]:

Inquisition

Educated
Daedalic + Steampunk. This game will be fine, I guess. Looks promising at least.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I got the art book from this game - the designs and artwork are fantastic! Ill honestly buy this just for the backgrounds.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Looking forward to it. But man I always get a slightly sinking feeling when I hear developers say "Every decision will matter." I'll play it for the art and 'steampunkness' alone but it would be nice if they didn't try to do some lazy fake c&c dialog puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom