Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Digital Antiquarian on Wing Commander, ancestor of all popamole

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.filfre.net/2017/04/from-wingleader-to-wing-commander/

We’ll turn back to Roberts’s later career at Origin in future articles. At this point, though, this history of the original Wing Commander must become the story of the people who played it rather than that of the people who created it. And, make no mistake, play it the people did. Gamers rushed to embrace what had ever since that Summer CES show been the most anticipated title in the industry. Roberts has claimed that Wing Commander sold 100,000 copies in its first month, a figure that would stand as ridiculous if applied to just about any other computer game of the era, but which might just be ridiculous enough to be true in the case of Wing Commander. While hard sales figures for the game or the franchise it would spawn have never to my knowledge been made public, I can feel confident enough in saying that sales of the first Wing Commander soared into the many, many hundreds of thousands of units. The curse of Ultima was broken; Origin now had a game which had not just become a hit in spite of Ultima‘s long shadow, they had a game which threatened to do the unthinkable — to overshadow Ultima in their product catalog. Certainly all indications are that Wing Commander massively outsold Ultima VI, possibly by a factor of two to one or more. It would take a few years, until the release of Doom in 1993, for any other name to begin to challenge that of Wing Commander as the most consistent money spinner in American computer gaming.

But why should that have been? Why should this particular game of all others have become such a sensation? Part of the reason must be serendipitous timing. During the 1990s as in no decade before or since, the latest developments in hardware would drive sales of games that could show them off to best effect, and Wing Commander set the stage for this trend. Released at a time when 80386-based machines with expanded memory, sound cards, and VGA graphics were just beginning to enter American homes in numbers, Wing Commander took advantage of all those things like no other game on the market. It benefited enormously from this singularity among those who already owned the latest hardware setups, while causing yet many more jealous gamers who hadn’t heretofore seen a need to upgrade to invest in hot machines of their own — the kind of virtuous circle to warm any capitalist’s heart.

Yet there was also something more going on with Wing Commander than just a cool-looking game for showing off the latest hardware, else it would have suffered the fate of the slightly later bestseller Myst: that of being widely purchased, but very rarely actually, seriously played. Unlike the coolly cerebral Myst, Wing Commander was a crowd-pleaser from top to bottom, with huge appeal, even beyond its spectacular audiovisuals, to anyone who had ever thrilled to the likes of a Star Wars film. It was, in other words, computerized entertainment for the mainstream rather than for a select cognoscenti. Just as all but the most incorrigible snobs could have a good time at a Star Wars showing, few gamers of any stripe could resist the call of Wing Commander. In an era when the lines of genre were being drawn more and more indelibly, one of the most remarkable aspects of Wing Commander‘s reception is the number of genre lines it was able to cross. Whether they normally preferred strategy games or flight simulators, CRPGs or adventures, everybody wanted to play Wing Commander.

At a glance, Chris Roberts’s gung-ho action movie of a game would seem to be rather unsuited for the readership of Computer Gaming World, a magazine that had been born out of the ashes of the tabletop-wargaming culture of the 1970s and was still beholden most of all to computer games in the old slow-paced, strategic grognard tradition. Yet the magazine and its readers loved Wing Commander. In fact, they loved Wing Commander as they had never loved any other game before. After reaching the number-one position in Computer Gaming World‘s readers’ poll in February of 1991, it remained there for an unprecedented eleven straight months, attaining already in its second month on top the highest aggregate score ever recorded for a game. When it was finally replaced at number one in January of 1992, the replacement was none other than the new Wing Commander II. Wing Commander I then remained planted right there behind its successor at number two until April, when the magazine’s editors, needing to make room for other games, felt compelled to “retire” it to their Hall of Fame.

In other places, the huge genre-blurring success of Wing Commander prompted an identity crisis. Shay Addams, adventure-game solver extraordinaire, publisher of the Questbusters newsletter and the Quest for Clues series of books, received so many requests to cover Wing Commander that he reported he had been “on the verge of scheduling a brief look” at it. But in the end, he had decided a little petulantly, it “is just a shoot-em-up-in-space game in which the skills necessary are vastly different from those required for completing a quest. (Then again, there is always the possibility of publishing Simulationbusters.)” The parenthetical may have sounded like a joke, but Addams apparently meant it seriously – or, at least, came to mean it seriously. The following year, he started publishing a sister newsletter to Questbusters called Simulations!. It’s hard to imagine him making such a decision absent the phenomenon that was Wing Commander.

The first blockbuster of the 1990s and the most commercially dominant franchise in computer gaming until the arrival of Doom in 1993 shook everything up yet again, Wing Commander can be read as cause or symptom of the changing times. There was a sense even in 1990 that Wing Commander‘s arrival, coming so appropriately at the beginning of a new decade, marked a watershed moment, and time has only strengthened that impression. Chris Crawford, this medium’s eternal curmudgeon — every creative field needs one of them to serve as a corrective to the hype-merchants — has accused Wing Commander of nothing less than ruining the culture of gaming for all time. By raising the bar so high on ludic audiovisuals, runs his argument, Wing Commander dramatically raised the financial investment necessary to produce a competitive game. This in turn made publishers, reluctant to risk all that capital on anything but a sure bet, more conservative in the sorts of projects they were willing to approve, causing more experimental games with only niche appeal to disappear from the market. “It became a hit-driven industry,” Crawford says. “The whole marketing strategy, economics, and everything changed, in my opinion, much for the worse.”

There’s some truth to this assertion, but it’s also true that publishers had been growing more conservative and budgets had been creeping upward for years before Wing Commander. By 1990, Infocom’s literary peak was years in the past, as were Activison’s experimental period and Electronic Arts’s speculations on whether computers could make you cry. In this sense, then, Wing Commander can be seen as just one more point on a trend line, not the dramatic break which Crawford would claim it to be. Had it not come along when it did to raise the audiovisual bar, something else would have.

Where Wing Commander does feel like a cleaner break with the past is in its popularizing of the use of narrative in a traditionally non-narrative-driven genre. This, I would assert, is the real source of the game’s appeal, then and now. The shock and awe of seeing the graphics and hearing the sound and music for the first time inevitably faded even back in the day, and today of course the whole thing looks garish and a little kitschy with those absurdly big pixels. And certainly the space-combat game alone wasn’t enough to sustain obsessive devotion back in the day, while today the speed issues can at times make it more than a little exasperating to actually play Wing Commander at all. But the appeal of, to borrow from Infocom’s old catch-phrase, waking up inside a story — waking up inside a Star Wars movie, if you like — and being swept along on a rollicking, semi-interactive ride is, it would seem, eternal. It may not have been the reason most people bought Wing Commander in the early 1990s — that had everything to do with those aforementioned spectacular audiovisuals — but it was the reason they kept playing it, the reason it remained the best single computer game in the country according to Computer Gaming World‘s readers for all those months. Come for the graphics and sound, stay for the story. The ironic aspect of all this is that, as I’ve already noted, Wing Commander‘s story barely qualified as a story at all by the standards of conventional fiction. Yet, underwhelming though it was on its own merits, it worked more than well enough in providing structure and motivation for the individual missions.

The clearest historical antecedent to Wing Commander must be the interactive movies of Cinemaware, which had struggled to combine cinematic storytelling with modes of play that departed from traditional adventure-game norms throughout the second half of the 1980s, albeit with somewhat mixed success. John Cutter, a designer at Cinemaware, has described how Bob Jacob, the company’s founder and president, reacted to his first glimpse of Wing Commander: “I don’t think I’ve ever seen him look so sad.” With his company beginning to fall apart around him, Jacob had good reason to feel sad. He least of all would have imagined Origin Systems — they of the aesthetically indifferent CRPG epics — as the company that would carry the flag of cinematic computer gaming forward into the new decade, but the proof was right there on the screen in front of him.

There are two accounts, both of them true in their way, to explain how the adventure game, a genre that in the early 1990s was perhaps the most vibrant and popular in computer gaming, ended the decade an irrelevancy to gamers and publishers alike. One explanation, which I’ve gone into a number of times already on this blog, focuses on a lack of innovation and, most of all, a lack of good design practices among far too many adventures developers; these lacks left the genre identified primarily with unfun pixel hunts and illogical puzzles in the minds of far too many players. But another, more positive take on the subject says that adventure games never really went away at all: their best attributes were rather merged into other genres. Did adventure games disappear or did they take over the world? As in so many cases, the answer depends on your perspective. If you focus on the traditional mechanics of adventure games — exploring landscapes and solving puzzles, usually non-violently — as their defining attributes, the genre did indeed go from thriving to all but dying in the course of about five years. If, on the other hand, you take the “adventure” in adventure games literally, choose to see them more broadly as games where you wake up inside a story, it can sometimes seem like almost every game out there today has become, whatever else it is, an adventure game.

Wing Commander was the first great proof that many more players than just adventure-game fans love story. Players love the way a story can make them feel a part of something bigger as they play, and, more prosaically but no less importantly, they love the structure it can give to their play. One of the dominant themes of games in the 1990s would be the injection of story into genres which had never had much use for it before: the unfolding narrative of discovery built into the grand-strategy game X-Com, the campaign modes of the real-time-strategy pioneers Warcraft and Starcraft, the plot that gave meaning to all the shooting in Half-Life. All of these are among the most beloved titles of the decade, spawning franchises that remain more than viable to this day. One has to assume this isn’t a coincidence. “The games I made were always about narrative because I felt that was missing for me,” says Chris Roberts. “I wanted that sense of story and progression. I felt like I wasn’t getting that in games. That was one of my bigger drives when I was making games, was to get that, that I felt like I really wanted and liked from other media.” Clearly many others agreed.

See also last week's article about Chris Roberts, which talks a bit about the little-remembered RPGs he made at Origin before Wing Commander: http://www.filfre.net/2017/04/from-squadron-to-wingleader/

Severian Silk

Never played Wing Commander, but Lucas Arts' space sims had better graphics. Those 2D sprites look goofy compared to Lucas Arts' 3D polygons IMO. Too bad the X-Wing series was so damn hard... I was never able to finish one. :(

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Never played Wing Commander, but Lucas Arts' space sims had better graphics. Those 2D sprites look goofy compared to Lucas Arts' 3D polygons IMO.

Obviously that's true when Wing Commander was released in 1990 and X-Wing in 1993. They may only look like three years on paper, but in video gaming those years were more like 30 years.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Why must I always be trolled by Infinitron?

If you focus on the traditional mechanics of adventure games — exploring landscapes and solving puzzles, usually non-violently — as their defining attributes, the genre did indeed go from thriving to all but dying in the course of about five years. If, on the other hand, you take the “adventure” in adventure games literally, choose to see them more broadly as games where you wake up inside a story, it can sometimes seem like almost every game out there today has become, whatever else it is, an adventure game.
The first half of this is false, the second half of it is ridiculous.

First, what alternate universe is he operating in that "exploring landscapes" and "solving puzzles" are not presently a part of computer games? Exploring environments is the key feature of everything from Bethesda RPGs to survival games to massive multiplayer shooters to Minecraft. "Solving puzzles" -- defined at that level of generality -- remains a feature of RPGs and shooters and others. But of course this level of generality doesn't really capture what adventure games are about mechanically, which is (provided you are talking about point-and-click adventures, which are really the genre that died out) the collection and use of items to solve puzzles. There are exceptions from that mechanic, but it's the heartland.

Second, DA has taken the "adventure games mean story" meme to its absurdest conclusion, leaving no work for me. If DA actually believes that Wing Commander, X-Com, and Warcraft are adventure games, then I must invoke Isaiah Berlin:
If I find men who worship trees, not because they are symbols of fertility or because they are divine, with a mysterious life and powers of their own, or because this grove is sacred to Athena—but only because they are made of wood; and if I ask them why they worship wood, they say, "Because it is wood," and give no other answer: then I do not know what they mean. If they are human, they are not beings with whom I can communicate—there is a real barrier. They are not human for me. I cannot even call their values subjective if I cannot conceive what it would be like to pursue such a life.

The thing that's marvelously strange about this last point, particularly coming from a so-called antiquarian, is that there is literally no evidence at all that the "you're on an adventure and it's a game" mentality is traceable to "adventure games" as a genre. For example, Karateka came out in 1984 -- the same year as King's Quest I -- and it has not only a story at the outset but cutscenes and a variety of (excellent) cinematic flourishes. (As I've mentioned before, it's one of the titles that first got me thinking about telling stories via computer games.) Unless you want to say that Karateka took the concept of game narrative from Infocom titles, it's hard to claim that the absurdist concept of "an adventure that's a game" is traceable to the genre called "adventure games." (Incidentally, it's by no means clear that Karateka is the progenitor, either, it's just an example that took me literally zero seconds of think of.)

Also, as for:
Wing Commander was the first great proof that many more players than just adventure-game fans love story.
Really, what can one say? Wing Commander came out in 1990, and sold around 400,000 copies (fewer than the 500,000 copies King's Quest V sold in 1990, thus making it unclear what "many more" means here; incidentally, also fewer than the 500,000 copies Karateka sold in 1984; at least it was better than the >200,000 copies that DA says Ultima VI sold that year). But setting aside these PC titles, story-driven console titles were also booming: Final Fantasy IV, in 1991, sold 1.44M copies, for example. Ninja Gaiden, an even more story-driven game than Karateka, came out in 1989. I can't find sales figures, but this book says it was a NES "sales leader" on release, which would have meant many times the number of copies that Wing Commander sold. (Similarly, this post says they couldn't fabricate enough copies to meet demand.)

Honestly, with every DA article Infinitron goads me about, I am coming more to the conclusion that DA is a consummate just-so story-teller who takes (what I hope are true!) historical details and then draws totally fanciful but delightful connections between them.

BONUS ROUND: I have the following memories about Wing Commander 2 (I never played the first one), which I played many times at a friend's house. (1) The incredibly elaborate work of freeing up EMS and setting IRQ and DMA settings to get it to work. (2) That he nevertheless had to buy both additional memory (four megabytes, perhaps?) and a Sound Blaster to make things work. It was one of those moments when another kid is perceptibly richer; at that point I think we were still using the Apple II/c my grandfather had gotten us. (3) Our endless amusement at the fact the composer was named The Fat Man. (4) Our endless awe at the intro cinematic, which I can still picture and whose first line ("How goes the war against the humans?") I'll probably never forget. (5) The fact that on some levels we somehow found it easier to have two sets of hands on the keyboard. (This method was also devastatingly effective in Solar Winds.) (6) Many years later, when I was researching space opera novels for Star Captain, discovering that there was a whole sub genre of space opera devoted to giant cat men (two separate highly successful franchises -- the Man-Kzin War and the Chanur novels -- as well as numerous smaller series), and becoming even more depressed about the world.

Good times. Fun game, at least in memory, but definitely worse than TIE Fighter and Freespace.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, I was mainly just thinking of how he brought up the "look-and-plot" appeal of games that you talked about in the AdventureDex interview.

P.S.

The thing that's marvelously strange about this last point, particularly coming from a so-called antiquarian, is that there is literally no evidence at all that the "you're on an adventure and it's a game" mentality is traceable to "adventure games" as a genre.

I'm not sure you're being entirely fair here, given that he also explicitly mentions the Cinemaware games as having tried to do what Wing Commander did and thus being ancestral to that mentality. Karateka would be in a similar position, presumably?

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
I remember being annoyed at how much plot Wing Commander 2 had relative to 1.

WC1 basically did a setting and video game micro-plots (e.g. "there's a big Kilrathi ace on this mission!" or "Scramble! We're under attack!") with VGA "cinematic" presentation. They also did a very simmy, unplotty thing by having a long, detailed "failure path" with entirely different missions you'd only see if you fucked up. WC2 was the one where it started feeling like adventure game storytelling.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
One point I think should be brought up in regards to Wing Commander is that it seems to depend on whether you're a gaming fan(atic) like us Codexers or a game developer what relevance Wing Commander has in general.

From our perspective it should be obvious: The first two or three games were awesome when they were released and offered unmatched levels of immersion and enjoyment in an easily accessible make-believe world.

But I've talked to several game developers, and they all had the same different opinion on Wing Commander than us gamers: They judged the WC games based on their success, not how fun they were to play. For them Wing Commander 3 was a milestone in gaming history because it was the first (PC) game to cost more than $20 million to make and turn a profit. Combined with the runaway success of Doom, the end result was that throwing such high amounts of money at the development of a game was now justified: The floodgates had been opened.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The thing that's marvelously strange about this last point, particularly coming from a so-called antiquarian, is that there is literally no evidence at all that the "you're on an adventure and it's a game" mentality is traceable to "adventure games" as a genre.

I'm not sure you're being entirely fair here, given that he also explicitly mentions the Cinemaware games as having tried to do what Wing Commander did and thus being ancestral to that mentality.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Fair? Who's the f----g nihilists around here."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
WC2 was the one where it started feeling like adventure game storytelling.

You just triggered MRY again.

For me WC2's storytelling feels like BioWare before BioWare, although admittedly a lot of that has to do with the sheer graphical presentation. In retrospect it's sort of incredible that that "cast of companions in a cinematic story with expressive dialogue close ups" style went away for so many years. It's an appealing look:

thumb_mass_effect_147.jpg
wc2screenshot18.gif

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, Infinitron creeps me out with these 'sagacious' gaming comments. What's he trying to do, establish a reputation as a 'gaming specialist' like all those losers he quotes? What's even the point. How are you going to monetize writing about 'cinematic closeups are not a new idea in gaming' (duh) without being a big fish in other ways?

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Honestly, with every DA article Infinitron goads me about, I am coming more to the conclusion that DA is a consummate just-so story-teller who takes (what I hope are true!) historical details and then draws totally fanciful but delightful connections between them.
When this article got brought up in the Star Citizen thread I felt yet again the compulsion to write about how much of a poseur DA is and how much he ruins the admittedly laudable effort he puts into research by pushing completely unnecessary revisionism that makes the title "antiquarian" both a hilarious joke and a rage-incuding insult at the same time. Thank you MRY for both saving me the trouble and reminding me why I hold you in such high regard :salute:

Mozg

Arcane
Played with mouse originally I think. Or maybe even just keyboard.

If you're only going to play one early '90s space fighter game it should be TIE Fighter, though.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stupid question, are these games playable w/o joystick?

Other stupid question, which basic, cheap, available joystick works out of the box (or without much hassle) with DosBox WingCommander.

Played and loved WC3&4 many years ago, with keyboard only I think. Bought the whole series a while ago, played the first one with keyboard and mouse. Wanted to switch to joystick but the one I bought was broken, I gave it back and forgot about it.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
When this article got brought up in the Star Citizen thread I felt yet again the compulsion to write about how much of a poseur DA is and how much he ruins the admittedly laudable effort he puts into research by pushing completely unnecessary revisionism that makes the title "antiquarian" both a hilarious joke and a rage-incuding insult at the same time.

The sad thing is that some of his articles, particularly the earlier ones and the Infocom ones are really good. But more recently he seems to have tailored his material to fit his audience, or felt less need to be impartial when he's constantly getting reinforcement by his fans. Some of the revisionism you mentioned is just cringeworthy and ruins otherwise fascinating reads. But yeah, I constantly rage when I think about his blog has turned from a historical document into an ego booster.

Also, he's ruined the word 'ludic' for me forever.

Why is this guy so long winded? There is some cool info buried underneath all the self-serving pap, but it's really not worth the slog - and I should be the prime audience, an old geezer who waxes nostalgic about perfectly crafted config.sys and autoexec.bat files that managed to run Alone in the Dark 3 and Falcon 3.0 and who thought Memmaker was popamole and inefficient.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Never played Wing Commander, but Lucas Arts' space sims had better graphics. Those 2D sprites look goofy compared to Lucas Arts' 3D polygons IMO. Too bad the X-Wing series was so damn hard... I was never able to finish one. :(
Not just the graphics, the lucasarts games were more complex and had better gameplay in general. Still, I liked the wing commander story. Speaking of Biowaru, they probably had some inspiration from Wing Commander 3 and 4 with these badass/niceguy dialogue options.

Severian Silk

Star Wars space sims are on sale right now on GOG. I'm tempted to buy one, but I can never remember all the keyboard commands, and get my ass kicked as a result... :(

Somehow I managed to finish Freespace, StarLancer, IWar2 and Tachyon. But X-Wing is too hard!

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The first X-Wing game is very hard but if you could handle Freespace etc. you should be ok with X-wing Alliance (you'll need a joystick though, there's no other method of control if I remember correctly)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I wouldn't try a space sim without a mechanical keyboard, but joysticks are def the way to go.

If you play flight sims with a gamepad tho, fuck you.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Joystick is the best method of control...mouse is ok in some games, but less fun even if it's efficient. Gamepads kind of suck in these type of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom