Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Division by Ubisoft

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
BTW none of the biggest "gaming" sites have reviewed this one yet?
Are they waiting till they get more doritos?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW none of the biggest "gaming" sites have reviewed this one yet?
Are they waiting till they get more doritos?

It's an online multiplayer game, so they have to review it after people have actually started playing it I guess.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New thing sell better than old shit.
Who could guess.

This is why realism in games sux.
tumblr_o3qo7qI60V1s6jjxfo2_540.png

Games are no more "an escape from reality".

typical user

Arbiter
This thing has been fixed already. You don't need to activate laptop anymore + if you run long enough you can phase-by door griefers.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Aaand ding 30 after about 25 hours. Time to hit the Dark Zone for real and see if the end-game holds anything of interest.

Wolfe

Arbiter
The Dark Zone needs to offer more incentive for players to go rogue. As it stands now, you risk to lose too much in the gamble of turning rogue if you get caught (DZ exp/currency/items), so there is way too much cooperation going on. If they would work on that, I think it would become really fun.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Seeing how people were complaining about the rogue mechanic (for example resetting the timer everytime you shoot back at your pursuers, among other things) on day 1 of the first closed beta. They never changed it, instead reducing the amount of money you get for surviving as a rogue (while simultaneously increasing the amount of money required to buy stuff). Oh and the patchnotes stated that they increased the bounty for surviving as a rogue agent. Not sure if they atleast fixed that mistake or just went with it, that was during the last beta.

Being rogue in general just is stupid as fuck since you cannot defend yourself while 10+ people are trying to kill you. There were pages and pages of suggestions as to how to improve the rogue-gameplay (which is one of the biggest selling points of the DZ and actually made me consider getting the game day1) but they simply ignored every single bit. Suggestions like DZ enemies being friendly while you're rogue so you can use them as a distraction to escape, a rogue-only safehouse/extraction point or having the timer not reset once you hit rogue3 so you either sit that one out or have to actively hunt more people to get to rogue4/manhunt.

Wolfe

Arbiter
I've played about 40 hours so far. The game is enjoyable but there are glaring issues with the Dark Zone and the lack of content (which hopefully will be solved by the free updates and the expansions). The more I play the more I feel saddened by the fact that the game will never reach its true potential: something more alike to the hardcore experience of DayZ but set in Manhattan would have been amazing. More survival elements, less handholding, systems that would encourage/force the players to compete in order to survive (food/ammo/weapons/zone control). I also probably would have enjoyed it more so far if it had been a pure shooter, as I'm still not sold on all the RPG elements of the combat.

Despite the fact that many people have remarked that the story is bland, there is probably a lot of details about it that they've missed by not collecting the intel spread across the entire map. I've collected about 200 out of the total of 293 and they paint an interesting picture of the events that occured prior to the arrival of the second wave of the Division. Especially the ECHOs: they're pretty amazing.

Angthoron

Arcane
Falling from a 1-cm ledge isn't much of a fall.

The game ain't too bad for what it is though, I'll give it that. Ubi has the Virtual Tourism thing down to a t. Been to NY recently, Division does feel fairly feel Manhattaney.

Wolfe

Arbiter
there are glaring issues with the Dark Zone and the lack of content (which hopefully will be solved by the free updates and the expansions)

Oh how the codex has fallen.

Haha, I don't really care, I got a key for £20 and when I activated it it turned out that it was for the Gold edition of the game. Somehow I got the Season Pass for free, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with it.

Just realised that Escape from Tarkov is what I had hoped The Division would be more like. Can't wait for that one.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've played about 40 hours so far. The game is enjoyable but there are glaring issues with the Dark Zone and the lack of content (which hopefully will be solved by the free updates and the expansions). The more I play the more I feel saddened by the fact that the game will never reach its true potential: something more alike to the hardcore experience of DayZ but set in Manhattan would have been amazing. More survival elements, less handholding, systems that would encourage/force the players to compete in order to survive (food/ammo/weapons/zone control). I also probably would have enjoyed it more so far if it had been a pure shooter, as I'm still not sold on all the RPG elements of the combat.

Despite the fact that many people have remarked that the story is bland, there is probably a lot of details about it that they've missed by not collecting the intel spread across the entire map. I've collected about 200 out of the total of 293 and they paint an interesting picture of the events that occured prior to the arrival of the second wave of the Division. Especially the ECHOs: they're pretty amazing.

Pretty much spot on.

The visuals are amazing in this game.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Ubisoft dude, expecing them to not apply a huge dose of hand holding and dumbdown is the same as expecting a cocaine addict to not get high. This game screams Ubisoft's carebear actitude even on the trailers.

Wolfe

Arbiter
It is hardcore, it also has the most intense fights I've experienced in an online game. Knowing that you lose everything on death leads to incredible adrenaline and tension. Imagining a game like DayZ on an engine like Snowdrop makes me shudder with excitement.

typical user

Arbiter
People already posted possible fixes for rogue status in DZ. Things like increase in bounty reward for rogues, Phoenix Credits from disassambled loot collected from DZ so you would backstab people more often, karma system with unique rewards for going rogue more often than others, etc.

Shame this game doesn't have invasions like in Dark Souls. In Beta I felt tension entering DZ but when I left it to check extracted gear and make space for more then I felt that tension was gone.

I consider buying the game but the more stuff I read at r/thedivision the more I am glad I didn't do so. Maybe they will fix Dark Zone and Phoenix Credits lame drop-rate in 1.1 patch, maybe they will add more end-game content. It was obvious how Ubi community menagers dodged or simply lied to people asking about character customization (or lack of) and end-game. They said there would be additional stuff than Dark Zone and Challenge mode, probably meant Daily Objectives but it is rather lame excuse. If this game had PvP areas other than Dark Zone (which is focused mainly on backstabbing and fighting stronger AI), invasions and exclusive gear for rogues or rogue hunters then I guess this could be very good game to stick to.

They will need to deliver end-game content otherwise this game will quickly starve. After playing both Betas for 2 days I already felt bored as I couldn't get any better gear and there were no other rewards for pvp.

Leshy

Educated
After playing a couple of hours, I think it's quite a fun game. At least for now... I am a bit worried the content will run out quickly. However AFAIK it's the same with all MMOs, content is added over time. Let's hope this will be the case here.

I would really enjoy a game like this, with even the exactly the same mechanics but in a different setting. X-COM comes to mind. At the very least that would make the bullet spongey enemies less of an eyesore.

On a side note, I love the feature that I can see my PSN friends, who are currently playing the game, on the map :D

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I'm already done with the game. Or almost done.

My equipment is all high-end except the mods on the weapons.

The game has several flaws:
- DZ is a pvp area where you are punished for killing other players. I survived a couple of times and I got something like 500 DZ money. Simply retarded.
- There is no point in killing anyone in the DZ because you will loot the same shit. Any competent player will extract high-end stuff asap. Therefore the chance to actually kill someone and get a good item is ranging from none to 0.
- DZ requires a higher grind period than the main game. In fact you need DZ level 50 in order to be able to buy anything remotely interesting.
- Players are imbeciles. When rogues, 4 players teams are losing against 2 players teams because all of them are deciding to run instead of standing their ground. Happened twice to me.
- They need to fix the end game somehow because right now is shit. There are many more broken mechanics - like crafting high-end shit.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Yeah, agreed. I'm almost done as well after playing for about 55 hours, they need to fix the end game and the Dark Zone.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This game made me hate the "gamers"! Could be a nice headline but the truth is more prosaic.

So, I'm in DZ in a team of 4 and I see 2 rogues on the map. I run towards them, I get them in sight, I almost kill one when the fucking NPCs spawn and kill me from behind. Ok. Respawn, go after them again. Get killed. Respawn, go again. Get killed. Respawn. Rage quit.

I basically hunted these motherfuckers alone for like 5 minutes in total. I lost 2 or 3 DZ levels and nobody ... nobody on the fucking server had even try to help me. Not my team. Not other players. Nobody. This is awful.

Killing players or getting killed is the entire purpose of the DZ. But it seems that most players are simply retarded ... they prefer farming instead of a couple of moments of "emergent" gameplay. They stay like sheep while some players are killing them. It's like watching a documentary on Nat Geographic about big cats in Afrika.

I know I already stated that the end game is fucked up. But I don't know who pisses me off more: the lackluster end-game or the players. I mean most of them are so retarded that they don't know how to have fun even if you give them the tools to have fun. They need hand holding and quest compasses like air.

And then you wonder why should the developers try to design and implement great games? They shouldn't cause these idiots cannot appreciate anything. /rant

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom