Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

RandomAccount

I DEMAND MORE HYPE!

It's been around 3 years since the last dragon age game, they extended the development a year specifically to avoid the same time constraint issues that occurred last time.
Yeah... I don't think 3 years is enough for the advertised scope of the game, so whoever said lots of padding is probably right.
We all know what those issues were. [...] NON epic sprawling story. DA2 was essentially days of our lives in kirkwall and like 1 wilderness area. There was nothing epic about it.
Political intrigue in Kirkwall sounds actually great to me but the execution was phoned in or the devs were on AWESOME sauce. Fuck epic stories left and right...
DA2 took away the tactical overhead view (this was absolutely infuriating) so the pathetic consoles could deal with the mechanics
The tactical camera in the DA3 PC demo looked very much like the DA2 one.
Increasing difficulty was nothing more than more health/resistances and more waves, not a harder to deal with AI to fight.
DA3 on hard will use Radiant AI...
lol how can it look like DA2 camera when DA2 didnt have tactical view at all :lol::lol::lol:

and DAI was supposed to be release in late 2013 but Gaider manned up and sucked a lot of dicks in EA to get one more year of development so they could implement shit like 3 more races or sky hold.

Branm

Learned
Soooo I havent really kept up with any Bioware game since DA2 (i had loads of fun with DA:O) anyway....is there really no healers? The combat in the above videos doesn't look too terrible... Not Origins good but its allight. ANyway no healers??? WTF whats reasoning is behind that...

Ohhh well, I'll just leech the game anyway, I cant bring myself to ever buy a Bioware game again.

RandomAccount

News just in!

"You must have been thinking about the Dragon Age Inquisition resolution differences between PS4 and Xbox One ever since BioWare announced that they were going to be 1080p and 900p respectively."

Link to the story

You must... you MUST!

Diablo169

Arcane
Bioware being passive aggressive through PR to Microsoft is kind of like AL-Qaeda saying mean things about Islamic State. They're both assholes.

:nocountryforshitposters:

abija

Prophet
lol how can it look like DA2 camera when DA2 didnt have tactical view at all :lol::lol::lol:
Could move it "freely" (with some kind of wierd pivot on the selected char) during pause, change angles and give orders. The problem was you couldn't get a proper overview with it most of the time. And even when you could, due to the camera not memorizing a high view point it was never worth the hassle.
From what they shown in the PC demo for DA:I seems similar, starting on selected char. He did say you can get full control of the camera but didn't really demonstrate it which is EXACTLY what he did before DA2 launch.

It will probably be better because frostbite is miles ahead as an engine, but a proper tactical camera he didn't show. Neither did he show an indoor location with camera going up and roof disappearing. Though it's entirely possible he did all that and I missed it. I didn't follow DA3 that closely, maybe it will seem half decent if I have negative expectations.

Sammael7

Literate
Could move it "freely" (with some kind of wierd pivot on the selected char) during pause, change angles and give orders. The problem was you couldn't get a proper overview with it most of the time. And even when you could, due to the camera not memorizing a high view point it was never worth the hassle.
From what they shown in the PC demo for DA:I seems similar, starting on selected char. He did say you can get full control of the camera but didn't really demonstrate it which is EXACTLY what he did before DA2 launch.

It will probably be better because frostbite is miles ahead as an engine, but a proper tactical camera he didn't show. Neither did he show an indoor location with camera going up and roof disappearing. Though it's entirely possible he did all that and I missed it. I didn't follow DA3 that closely, maybe it will seem half decent if I have negative expectations.

I'm not sure about how the tactical view looks indoors in smaller confines, but it has been shown multiple times.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/30/tactical-wizarding-action-in-dragon-age-inquisition/

That was not there AT ALL in da2, they completely took it out. All you could do was switch your CENTERED ONLY view on different characters, there was zero panning independent of them. And it was a nightmare. Once again, that seems to have been fixed and improved, the mage spells seem to have more tactical elements to them again, like origins. We have so many reasons to be more optimistic, or at the very least, optimistic that this game will be light years ahead of da2.

Caim

Arcane
Alright, who of you guys did this?

tumblr_n9qoxz8n9F1rckw3lo1_1280.jpg

Rake

Arcane

I'm not sure about how the tactical view looks indoors in smaller confines, but it has been shown multiple times.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/30/tactical-wizarding-action-in-dragon-age-inquisition/
Yes but can you play the game exclusively in top down mode, without going into TPP even for a second? And if yes how does it play with all the backfliping and action abilities? Because so far all i have seen is Top down view used only while the game is paused, for aiming a spell and then they turn into TPP again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently, you can click and drag with your mouse to perform dodging and flipping abilities in a particular direction. It sounds like the kind of thing that would make the current PoE beta seem like a game of chess.

Rake

Arcane
Apparently, you can click and drag with your mouse to perform dodging and flipping abilities in a particular direction. It sounds like the kind of thing that would make the current PoE beta seem like a game of chess.
That's my fear. That it will play like a Diablo 3 where you control 4 characters instead of one.

Athelas

Arcane
It would be hard not to considering they have the monopoly on that particular niche.

Yes but can you play the game exclusively in top down mode, without going into TPP even for a second? And if yes how does it play with all the backfliping and action abilities? Because so far all i have seen is Top down view used only while the game is paused, for aiming a spell and then they turn into TPP again.
yes you can play the whole fucking time in top down mode during a battle

around 1:40 he unpause in top down view and battle continues without going back to tpp mode ...and its just an "awesome"combat trailer for console peasants

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The tactical view looks once again completely worthless, unless there's some way to zoom it out much more. In TPP you can at least somewhat see your character(s) and your enemies on screen at the same time, but the top-down camera is way too close to be of any real use. I abandoned it in DA:O after a few minutes because you couldn't see shit with it, save for aiming some AoE spells.

Athelas

Arcane
It's designed to cater to botth action and RTwP fans, so of course it's going to turn out not very good. Also known as the Law of Arcanum.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They died playing their own game. They want to one-up Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom